Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

05-05-2016, 01:17 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)
Oddworld: Negative Externalities

Negative Externality neg·at·iv ex·tur·nal·it·é n An economic term describing negative external effect, often unforeseen or unintended, accompanying a process or activity.

Chapter I - Plummeting

There are some who say that Oddworld itself was created by the gods in such a way as to avoid the species that evolved upon its multiple surfaces from ever mixing. The plains dwellers, those that inhabited the forested nooks and the desert crags were never to mingle with those of the warm, damp interior crust. Nolybab then, was a wretched, festering place where the evils from within the mantle could seep out and curl their gnarled claws around the regions known by the sun. If the beasts were imprisoned within the earth, Nolybab was the ladder that would make their escape possible. A city of incomparable age, size and scale; needle-like towers rose out of the thick green mists below and pierced the belly of the sky above. These structures that threatened to defy physics with their immensity, were criss-crossed and riddled with platforms and walkways that allowed citizens to traverse from place to place. The city was skeletal, cantankerous and brittle; buildings nestled amongst one another on rickety stilts and sometimes entire roads and plazas were suspended through the acrid air without a single support, relying on their own mere ever-decreasing structural integrity to remain standing. The smog-induced twilight was near absolute, punctuated only by the neon lights that emblazoned buildings, bridges and walkways. Wherever there was space for advertising, the business class took advantage. One such area, surrounded on all sides by tremendous billboards and ventilated by factory extractor outlets (thus reducing the pungent fumes significantly), was Luskan Square. Here a junction of twelve separate walkways was created right in front of one of the most titanic spires—the monolithic Magog Barbican. A crowd was currently amassing as the central screen fixed high above the entrance to the tower flickered stock reports across its face. The fate of countless thousands were cast across it as the unforgiving red LEDs formed and reformed into arrows and numbers; they expressed the catastrophic fall of the stock market and cried doom.

SOULSTORM INC. ↓ 235 POINTS
FEECO PLC. ↓ 145 POINTS
FLUB FUELS ↓ 78 POINTS
VYKKER'S PHARMA. ↑ 12 POINTS

Some of the onlookers shook their heads in disbelief, others rubbed their eyes. Wails erupted forth and spread from person to person like a contagion. Armed slig guards looked on uneasily, their tentacles twitching around the barrels of their rifles. Ammaras leant heavily against a street lamp and groaned to himself. He ran his paws over his face and peered out at the text that fled across the bottom of the billboard, announcing an imminent news report. Looking up now, he stared into the slit-like windows of the Magog Barbican and scrutinised the silhouettes that interrupted their otherwise constant yellow light, permeating the gloom. He could only make out three floors up before the smog made further sight impossible. He wondered whether the Cartel was equally blindsided by all this. Before he could dwell on the idea, his attention was snapped back to the screen as the familiar jingle of the Magog on the March News programme blared out from speakers positioned on poles around the square. The picture was grainy and the signal was bad but the newscaster slig could still be made out, fixed into his chair, looking somewhat flustered as an off-screen assistant handed him a stack of papers.

“The last time I spoke to you all, we were receiving unconfirmed reports that Soulstorm Brewery was the target of a terrorist attack by Abe the Mudokon! Well dear oh dear I can now confirm that that is exactly what happened. It seems that the boiler was overloaded and after enough pressure built up, KABOOM! The place was scattered across Mudos. We are also aware that the Brewmaster—interim big-kahuna in charge of day-to-day plant operations—was killed in the resultant firestorm. The Magog Cartel is now facing the desperate problem of a managerial shortage; apparently our Lord and Master Maggie herself has been put to the task of fixing this big pain in the ass! The EMSE took a tumble today as well with shares in Soulstorm Incorporated going from hot-rocks to penny stocks in mere hours. We feel real bad for any poor shmucks that have had their savings wiped out. You can bet your bottom moolah the repo-teams will be out in force tonight! I for one, am glad that my savings are invested in Vykker’s Pharmaceuticals, the creators of Butt-Flo and sponsors of this broadcast of Magog on the March. Butt-Flo: If you can’t poo, Butt-Flo’s for you!”

Ammaras went cold despite the constant bombarding heat from the factories deep in the underbelly of the city. A trickle of sweat welled up on his bald head and streaked down his brow. Wiping it away, he rocked slightly as if blown by a gust of wind and was steadied by a heavy paw on his shoulder. Snapping out of his daze he turned to face a mudokon, perhaps one of this brethren, equally grey and listless. He looked at him quizzically and realised that he too must have been caught up in this catastrophe. Ammaras wanted to say something but no words welled up from within so consigned himself to share the resolute silence that had descended. Others around him wandered as if in shock. Some formed groups, equally quiet in the face of the news. Most departed. A couple of guards descended into the clusters to break them up, further dissipating the crowds.

It was apparent that the stock market crash was a national event, not merely confined to the boardrooms of the elite. The copious Soulstorm shares he’d bought were worth more as scrap-paper than their supposed underlying value. Once the banks found out his investments had been wiped, they’d take everything he owned automatically and since he wrapped up his business a few years ago, there was nothing to fall back on to bring in any more cash. The real issue would come not from the banks, or poverty and homelessness though, but the corporations. There was no remit to their scope for retribution and the debits he held would be repaid. In this life, repossession was nine tenths of the law.

A van rolled up and a team of well-equipped sligs hopped out of the back, Ammaras assumed the private security forces of the Magog Cartel has arrived in case of an affray outside the Barbican. When three of the group split from the vehicle and made their way towards him, he threw up his paws and turned to go, wanting to avoid trouble. He was completely unprepared then, when one of the sligs elbowed him aside and hurtled the butt of his gun into the chest of the mudokon that had stood by his side. He watched and winced as the attack sent his comrade reeling backwards. A follow-up attack landed squarely in his shoulder and an almighty crack emanated from within his body, followed up by a short sharp wail. The other two sligs grabbed an arm each and wrenched them backwards before forcing him to his feet, dragging him as he stumbled along towards the van. Ammaras simply stood there dumbfounded as the mudokon cried and babbled before being thrown into the back of the vehicle. He made no effort to help or protest, merely watching as others who had seen the encounter now fled along the smog choked walkways, vanishing into the pollution itself. Had he not been in shock from the tumbling chain of events, he might have made an effort to check the emblazoned insignia on the side of the van, instead he chose to turn and run, vacating Luskan Square as the vehicle sped off down the widest causeway, leaving it empty. The Magog Barbican loomed over his shoulder for a time, its awful size fading slowly until at last, it too was lost to the fog.

As Ammaras made his way deeper into the labyrinthine tangle of pavements his pace fell dramatically. The industrial smog burnt his throat and his lungs felt as if they were swimming in a thick liquid. Inhaling more fumes than air, his muscles fought against every movement, lactic acid driving his pain receptors into a fury. At last he came to a halt as a violent cramp in his stomach bent him over double. As the pain subsided, he stood up and spat a clot of phlegm and soot into the gutter. Perhaps wending his way through the alleys would be preferable to staying on one of the choked main walkways. Although many of the streets looked the same, he knew roughly where he was and from here he could make his way towards his apartment within the hour. Although a detour through the passages would take longer, he had a faint but worrying sensation that he ought to avoid open ground. Nervously he edged off the path and slipped between two towering redbrick structures, windows boarded up, graffiti spread liberally across their faces. The walkway was rickety and wobbled as he trod down its narrow length. Only the faintest sickly green glow permeated the otherwise absolute darkness; photons fleeing the monstrous factory furnaces in the belly of the city. Some whispered the machinery down there in the depths was alive, that the few organic inhabitants below were hopelessly mutated and wandered empty workshops preying on any unwary wanderers. There was even a story that the god Cudram was chained down there, and that his anger powered the whole of Nolybab. All Ammaras knew, was that the drop was fatal, and every time the alley opened up, every time a hole in the walkway appeared, he was reminded of the immense Below. He thought of the drop, to fall hundreds of yards, maybe even miles. That is if you didn’t splatter yourself on one of the crisscrossing platforms below first.

After perhaps a half mile the alley began to widen and grow brighter., stumbling through loose rubbish as he blinked into the light, a bombardment of smells rapidly began to pummel his nostrils. Ammaras was not certain, but hazarded a guess that he was walking into the local bazaar. from there it would be only a few minutes until he was home. The journey had been undertaken far quicker than expected and he realised now that he must have carved a far more direct route; where the main road curved and twisted through the decaying landscape, he had plotted a diagonal course straight from Luskan Square towards his home, through a single, fairly straight passageway. Disturbing a lone fleech nosing around a pile of food-waste, Ammaras practically tumbled into the open market, sending it scurrying into a sewage opening. The gloom of the dirty alley was immediately replaced by a vibrant spectrum of bright lights, colours and scents and the gaunt looking mudokon shielded his face with his forearm, shuffling through a huddle of hawking, featherless clakkerz that were milling around the yawning alley entrance; their pallid, colourless wings flapping irritably. The bazaar was a truly odd and foreign place, where a dozen species came together to offload their goods under gaudy tents or makeshift shop fronts hastily erected from spare pieces of corrugated iron. There was only one stall that was a permanent fixture, for the owner’s work was so constant that he had long ago decided he did not need to follow the circuit of caravans around the city precincts. The shop sign—though not neon lit—stood out amongst the scrab jerky vendors and the machinists with its prestigious, hard wood frontage and bold red font; meticulously hand painted. “Van Groan’s Pharmaceuticals”, it read. Ammaras made a concerted effort to skulk through the hordes of khanzumerz undetected and faced not a single call to purchase from the shopkeepers right up until he reached the aforementioned entrepreneur. A whiny sing-song voice called out to him and he hung his head, sighing heavily before it repeated itself in the exact same tone.

“You there! I say, you there, I know you can hear me!” The way in which the vykker trailed the last syllable of each clause grated on Ammaras and he swivelled on the spot, an obvious look of agitation cast across his face.

“You look like a mud in need of a pick-me-up! Why not chock a few pills? Real, gen-u-ine imitation Vykkers Pharma brand anti-depressants, twice a dangerous and only half as powerful, or…wait no it’s—”

Ammaras stalked over whilst tetchily swiping at an inquisitive fly buzzing around his head. The muddy coloured vykker crooned, shaking a see-through bag full of tablets in his pincer-like hands. He wore a simple tattered apron and was notably taller than most of his kind, something he put down to his disenchantment with bodily augmentation. Regularly he stated with pride to customers that he had not undergone the common surgery to remove the lower calves like many of his kin had. No, he would say, no I believe in the goodness of medicine; when something can be removed, instead a pill will surely do. Ammaras had wondered before whether the vykker had split from the Conglomerate willingly, or whether he had been ostracised for his madcap ways.

“What can ‘ole Van Groan do for you today meesta?” He asked as Ammaras drew near, leaning over the counter with three of his four arms.

“Nothing thanks, ‘cept maybe some information. I mean, you keep your ears to the ground right? What’s going on with the Cartel?”

The wizened vykker’s brow knotted and his jovial expression faded slightly before he said: “I know about as much as you do, friend. That Abe guy took out two of the biggest facilities of the two most profitable arms of the Magog Empire, stocks are a plummeting. He’s doing your species wrong y’know; giving you guys a bad name. I’d keep yer head down if I were you. Still, there’s one benefit to all of this of course.”

“What’s that?”

“My stock is selling like water in the desert! Not to mention the value of Vykkers Pharma shares are through the roof! Happy pills, booze, we’re selling it all at twice the price, and the poor schmuks that have taken a tumble are soaking it up with every penny they got left! Say, we do have this one device if you simply can’t keep going…My First Suicide Kit; Don’t Stop Till You Drop! I’m actually having a sale on these things; you know Van Groan, always going for the medical route rather than the surgical one. Why bore a hole in your head when a bottle of tablets will put you to rest? They say the machine hurts only half as much as falling out of a fifth story window but—hey where are you going?”

Lost in his spiel, the vykker hadn’t noticed the mudokon turn away. By the time he had noticed, Ammaras was already leaving the bazaar down the main avenue. Home was just a few minutes away and from there, he could plan how to go forward.

·So, I started writing this a few weeks ago when I was at my lowest as a way to release some creative juices. I know it's lacking in plenty of areas but it is what it is. I'll probably update it fortnightly for as long as there's interest. Yes I am completely aware that writing un-ironic FF is not cool but fuck you.·

Last edited by STM; 05-05-2016 at 06:52 AM..
05-05-2016, 08:48 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

it's been a long, long time since i've seen any fanfiction here. this makes a nice change. i really enjoyed reading that, you have a flair for writing. it's interesting to see the effects Abe's actions have on the citizens of Oddworld, i'm intrigued as to how Ammaras is going to get along now that his kin have been tarred with the same brush as Abe.

good going, man. i look forward to more.
05-05-2016, 08:59 AM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

: Feb 2016
: Heck if I know.
: 437
FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)

I've read plenty of good un-ironic fanfics so I say keep going with this!

05-05-2016, 10:48 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Cheers guys, I guess I'll have to get to work on chapter two.

05-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

Where is chapter 2?
05-14-2016, 09:10 PM
bakaman99
Zappfly

: May 2016
: Planet Mars
: 4
bakaman99  (10)

Quite good honestly....
05-15-2016, 01:41 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Should be up next week, I'm about halfway through the chapter. Thanks Bakaman.

05-15-2016, 03:55 AM
32degrees
Zappfly

: Mar 2016
: Detroit
: 14
32degrees  (11)

Nice job guy, can't wait for chapter 2
05-19-2016, 02:49 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Chapter II - The Ascendant

Margaret XII Apartment Block was a building of vertigo inducing proportions. Perhaps sixty stories high, the tower contained twelve hundred domiciles and as many as twenty-eight hundred inhabitants. The crumbling concrete façade had once been painted a brilliant white but long ago this purity had faded into a uniform grey-green as mould, soot and age worked as a trinity to bring the structure in line with their own gutter standards. Like the Barbican, ‘Maggie 12’ was lost to the smog of Nolybab; its top floors invisible from the ‘ground’. Supposedly there was a vast iron structure cast in the likeness of Queen Margaret’s face atop the tower. Ammaras had never seen it. For as far as he or anyone else knew, Maggie 12 was the same as Maggie 10, Maggie 5 and Maggie 20; each one was a monotone stark slab, jutting up from the depths, forcing itself into prominence. It was ugly and without a mote of architectural thought. It embodied everything about those interred within. The faceless, the nameless, the many.

Ammaras walked through the tall, narrow front doors and was greeted by the smell of stale cigarettes and piss. The floor was carpeted but hopelessly dirty and the walls were adorned with peeling yellow wallpaper and antediluvian posters advertising food products made from extinct animals and FeeCo. sponsored day-trips to forests that no longer existed. The only thing that remained contemporary was an enormous, framed artwork that emblazoned the far wall behind the reception desk. The Lord-Mayor Glukkon of Nolybab stared down into the vacant entrance with blazing red eyes. His jaw was set and his expression stern. He did not smoke. His visage was surrounded by blocky red lettering that simply shouted: THE CARTEL IS ABSOLUTE. The sunken pits that held his eyes formed underneath a distinct cliff-like brow and his steely gaze was at once cast upon any entrant to the foyer, no matter where they stood. Ammaras stared dully back before turning upon the Lord-Mayor to begin the steady ascent towards his apartment, twenty-five floors up. The stairwell was completely undecorated and piping snaked up the stony walls. The steps were crumbling and exposed rebar spread like veins where the wall had chipped away. On the ninth floor there was a yawning hole where a slab of concrete had come away from the underside and slammed into the stairs below. Ammaras sidled around the edge of the collapse carefully and resumed his trek. After the fifteenth floor the lighting became intermittent as burst bulbs remained un-replaced and wiring had been gnawed away by feral chippunks. Up and up he rose, ascending the twirling column into the gloom, tiring now but desperate to feel the solace of his apartment. The staircase windows positioned sporadically every few floors gave a fleeting vista of rolling smog clouds; vast thick yellow-brown wafts that swallowed the torso of the building. Ammaras pressed on, stumbling stair over stair in a haste now, practically flying towards his destination. There was the terrible mounting feeling that something was inherently wrong, that a danger lay either below or above him and that it was closing in. The darkness was near absolute as he reached the twenty-fifth floor. Only narrow fractures of light shone weakly from under the cracks of front doors. Going by muscle memory he walked along, brushing his arm along the wall until he reached 2509. Home.

Thankful of the sudden calm that washed over him, he placed his paw into the palm-lock and was taken aback to find that as he pressed into it, the front door groaned open. Ammaras walked over the threshold and went to pull the light cord on his left. His paw swiped through the air and upon inspection it was clear that whomever had forced their way in had yanked it clean off the fixture. Tentatively he pushed himself up onto his toes and tugged the feathered tip of string that was left and the apartment blazed into life. The living room was a war-zone. What little furnishings he had acquired were destroyed; the back of his recliner had been rendered from the seat and his coffee table had been upturned, one of the legs had been strewn across the other side of the room and leant awkwardly under a smashed port-hole window. Papers scattered around an upended bureau flickered in the breeze and a thick acrid smell filled the room as the noxious fumes from outside poured into the apartment. The mudokon wandered through the mess, stricken with a glassy eyed stupor. Everything he had built for himself had been taken away, destroyed. He walked through the bedroom to find a similar scene; his nest had been pulled apart and the stuffing tossed aimlessly about. Under the guidance of the breeze ebbing through the domicile, it had collected into clumps and sat like islands atop a jade carpet sea. Ammaras wobbled unsteadily and leant up against the soothingly cold metallic wall. There were a couple of printed notes on it, one briefing the landlord on how to reclaim compensation for property damage, as well as a second one addressed to him. It read:

An eerie calm fell over the room like a blanket. The winds from outside pacified to a breeze and in the heights of the Margaret XII Apartment Block there was silence. Ammaras pulled the note from the wall and crumpled it in his paws. From deep within his chest a tightness began to squeeze at his heart. His stomach knotted and as he stumbled out of the bedroom and towards the toilet bile rose up into his throat. The mudokon was violently sick before he could reach the lavatory chute, his body quivering with the force of his nauseated ejections. To fall foul of the Cartel, or indeed any of the ruling families, was often equivalent to a death sentence. There was an almost poetic injustice in Ammaras’ situation and he realised—as he wiped vomit from his lip with his forearm—that he was being pursued by the Magog Cartel to reclaim debts tied to the value of Magog Cartel stock, purchased only for its supposed insurmountable strength. They would chase him, as well he knew, and the potential of capture was scarcely worth considering. There was but one option, one path for him to choose. Escape.

Acting swiftly, he gathered up what little possessions he had that could be carried on foot—a burlap shawl, a worn leather purse (empty) and small assortment of packeted snacks. Then, cautiously, he eased himself down onto his knees before the rug in his bedroom and carefully rolled it back. The hard steel floor had been bolted down in panels and its perfect grey uniformity was sullied only by four rusted bolts at each corner of a single metal plate. With his clumsy greenish paws, Ammaras twisted the bolts each in turn, setting them down together at his side. As the last one came loose he hefted the panel up to reveal a cranny between the floor and ceiling void of the level below. There was about a foot sized gap and nestled between trails of wiring and an expanse of bolamite webs was a cluster of paper notes, tied together with string. The mudokon gingerly grabbed this bundle before flicking through the 20 moolah bills. There was M600 in total; enough to last a month or maybe two if he was careful. Stuffing the wodge into his loincloth, he swung the shawl over his shoulders, drawing it up to his neck before sliding the panel back in place with his foot. He scooped up the bolts and dropped them out of the smashed porthole and proceeded to slide the rug roughly back in place. Without another second thought he strolled through the living room, exited the flat and pressed his paw onto the palm lock, remembering then that the door had been forced and that really, it mattered not now. Ammaras sighed and tore off down the corridor, evaporating into the gloom.

Last edited by STM; 05-19-2016 at 11:57 AM..
05-19-2016, 07:25 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

: Aug 2008
: AAAAAA
: 1,119
JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

:
Filing bankruptcy and/or suicide does not absolve you from debt recovery via bodily repossession.
I'm not sure why this tickled me so much but I lost my shit. Another great chapter, the repossession notice was a nice touch and added more depth than I feel like would've been possible if it had just been written in plain text. I look forward to the next chapter!

05-19-2016, 11:53 AM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)

Great stuff!

05-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

You're a very fluent writer. Your descriptions do a crack job at painting a picture of Ammara's surroundings and fleshing out the features and mannerism of characters he sees and interacts with( like with Groan). I also enjoyed the average mudokon citizen point of view and how they are experiencing the effects of Abe's actions.

I'm glad I causually clicked this, nice

Last edited by Gunnr; 05-22-2016 at 04:53 PM..
02-21-2017, 05:58 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Chapter III Part I - Untimely Promotions

There was a simplicity to the long, narrow corridor that Mellkart wandered down. He observed through unblinking orange eyes, that this was quite uncharacteristic of Glukkon architecture. The elaborate metal-work that typified every wall, ceiling and floor of most industrial complexes was supplanted by thin, rusting sheets of steel, bolted together on all sides. The ceiling was low and damp, stained green as mosses and moulds took residence in the gloom. The floor was dusty and grey; physically worn down as the passage of countless thousands before him trod the same path as he. Every now and then the executive would pass a waxen torch that flickered weakly, as if the flame was being strangulated by the darkness. He carried on along, vaguely claustrophobic and increasingly aware that he had been moving along down the same constricted hallway for at least ten minutes. He had received the call to attend the emergency meeting in the early hours of the morning; his residence up in the Paramonian Highlands was desperately lacking in infrastructure and the glukkon had worried he would not make it to the Sanctum in time. It was only upon the revelation that a personal blimp would come to collect him that he had been able to relax ever so slightly. At long last, the corridor began to widen and a cool breeze wormed along the ground, crawling through the dust, agitating it into minute swirls of ancient particulate. As Mellkart rounded a sudden corner he was faced by an immediate barrage of brightness that left him temporarily blinded. He squinted through the barrage of photons assaulting his eyes and saw two almighty sconces bearing the likenesses of the Magog crest. Through their slit-like eyes flickered wrathful fire that intermittently belched upwards and erupted into the air, illuminating a vast wooden door and the two muscular gloktigi that flanked it. These stoic guardians stood motionless; their hulking forms both ominous and primal. Although they were glukkon kin, Mellkart couldn’t help but feel a twinge of disdain as he walked between them.

The doors were constructed from extinct Paramonian redwood and bolstered with wrought iron nailed mercilessly into the enormous timbers. He coughed and stared up, waiting for them to give him passage. There was a significant lack of technological excess within the Sanctum complex. The innovations of steam power, electricity and digitisation—the fruits of the Alchemical Era—were all absent. Simple pulleys were used to open the vast doors, though whomever worked them remained mysteriously hidden. The torch-fire was cowed for a moment as a gust of air hurtled off down the corridor. The doors groaned open and the gloktigi guards eyed Mellkart through ornate leather masks as he stepped through the threshold, at which point they took pursuit, turning in military tandem before slowly ambling forwards on their enormous spindly talons.

Ahead of him there was a vast stone table, if one could describe it as that. In reality, it looked as much like an altar as a table. Unlike the simplicity of the corridor to the Sanctum, the interior chamber was fantastically designed. A melding of stonemasonry and ironmongery created a visually striking room with vast vaulted ceilings, suspended by twirling iron supports that burst through the still, damp air. The walls were hewn from perfectly smooth rock and festooned with millions of minute hieroglyphic inscriptions describing arcane histories of the octigi race and premonitions of a future dominated utterly by the Magog Cartel. To say that the Sanctum was just a meeting room would be derisory. The room, indeed the entire complex that led to it was swaddled with religiosity and mysticism. The glukkons had long ago cast off their spirituality, instead choosing the paths of ego, technology and conflict. Nevertheless, there remained a fascination—and indeed reliance—on the practice of occultism amongst the higher echelons of the cartel. As Mellkart made his way towards the centre of the chamber, he became expressly aware of a sense that the business world he knew was but the smallest fraction of what there truly was. The boardrooms of the outlying brewery facilities he knew were nothing in scope and size when compared to the awe inspiring industrial majesty of this hallowed sanctum. He had scarce little time to ruminate upon why he had been summoned to this prestigious place; he had made a stark assumption that his role was minor, if not trivial, and that there remained many more rungs to climb in the ladder of power before he could consider rubbing shoulders with the élite. As more glukkons entered from different doors around the periphery of the room, all he could guess was that the reason for his admission to this esteemed table would soon be explained.

Sure enough, as the last glukkons filtered into the room now filled with harsh whispers and shifty looks, a door of truly vast proportions at the front of the Sanctum began to swing open. The whispers died away and the executives seemed to become rigid in their posture. The glukkon next to Mellkart, whom had been sucking soothingly on an enormous lung buster since he entered now let it droop heavily over his lip, smoke twirling faintly upwards towards the ceiling in a constant narrow stream.

02-21-2017, 09:21 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

: Aug 2008
: AAAAAA
: 1,119
JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

I'd forgotten how much I'd been looking forwards to the next chapter of this. It's always interesting to see how you bring to life aspects of Oddworld that we haven't seen before, like the Octigi sanctum.

02-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

Wow it's been a good while since I was here last. I'll have to go back and read from start again

With this chapt, wonderfully descriptive and scene setting and like your take on things we know little about in OW, as jaydee stated. It's a good read, hope you continue

02-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Sybil Ant
Fuzzle

: Oct 2016
: England
: 123
Sybil Ant  (271)Sybil Ant  (271)Sybil Ant  (271)

I think it's p great too tbh

Last edited by Sybil Ant; 02-22-2017 at 12:07 AM..
02-22-2017, 06:43 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Cheers guys <3

02-22-2017, 08:25 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

IT'S BAAAAACK

Looking forward to the next bit!