Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

01-26-2017, 08:05 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

: Jan 2017
: Bath, Somerset, UK
: 70
TheManFromMudos  (191)TheManFromMudos  (191)
Native The Thing About Glukkons is...

Okay, everybody. I thought I'd make a new thread to discuss a topic which I believe we currently know far too little about: Glukkon society. As you know, Glukkons are very anatomically different from the more humanoid Mudokons and Sligs, etc. preferring to walk around with their shoes on their hands in order to hide their true form. But how does this pan out for them in everyday life? Surely they can't get Sligs to do everything for them, right? So what's the secret? Are their home towns and cities filled with voice-controlled technology, touchless monetary transactions, and hands-free... well, everything? The answer at the moment is: who knows? We've seen so little of Mudos' highly-populated supercities to be able to provide any concrete answer.

So that's what this thread is for. Because as I was pondering this exact conundrum, I found other Glukkon-related questions popping into my head. Like how does Dripik have so many medals (they can't be for marksmanship or excellent service, surely)? Or why are Glukkon suits so poorly designed that they can't even sit down in them (seriously, they're always standing up: Board meetings, Gabbiar Auctions, you name it)? So, if you think you can provide a substantial answer to any of these questions, or perhaps you've got a Glukkon-related question of your own, then this is the place to discuss it! And please do, so that we may shed a little light on the whole situation.

01-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

lmao also ew

Well being that thier legs are vestgial they likely couldn't sit down, they can lie down tho

Last edited by Gunnr; 01-26-2017 at 08:53 AM..
01-26-2017, 09:05 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

:

lmao also ew

Well being that thier legs are vestgial they likely couldn't sit down, they can lie down tho
That's a good point. But, building on your picture of the Brewmaster, I have another question: how does he check his watch? Does he get a Slig to lift it up for him? Or does he just crane his neck slightly to get a better view of it?

01-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

I doubt he even checks, it's probably just for show.

I have to imagine that Glukkons as a race are just so business-oriented that they always have someone else to do everything for them, even if they can only afford a single lowly Slig. They probably don't sit or lie down very often because that would make them look lazy or weak.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

01-26-2017, 09:19 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

:
I doubt he even checks, it's probably just for show.

I have to imagine that Glukkons as a race are just so business-oriented that they always have someone else to do everything for them, even if they can only afford a single lowly Slig. They probably don't sit or lie down very often because that would make them look lazy or weak.
That's true, but here's another one for you! If Lulu's valet abandoned him after he lost his fortune, how did he write 'Lulu Fund Pleaze Help' on that piece of cardboard and get it around his neck, seemingly without removing his shoes? Seems like the kind of thing a Glukkon would need a Slig to do...

01-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

:
That's a good point. But, building on your picture of the Brewmaster, I have another question: how does he check his watch? Does he get a Slig to lift it up for him? Or does he just crane his neck slightly to get a better view of it?
I guess we'll find out....In SOULSTOOORM

lmao Jk. i doubt it

That's a good question, probably doesn't even look maybe asks slig what it says

As for Lulu's sign i have never thought of that!
Maybe he signed it while holding a marker in his mouth when no one was looking he the lowest ranking glukk

Last edited by Gunnr; 01-26-2017 at 10:12 AM..
01-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

:
Like how does Dripik have so many medals (they can't be for marksmanship or excellent service, surely)?
:
What did General Dripik do to get his medals?

They’re not for success in battle, if that’s what you’re thinking. He got them for making lots of Moolah.
http://www.oddworld.com/2012/03/dear-alf-march-2012/
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

I did consider that, and as you quite rightly pointed out, Alf pretty much confirms this in a Dear Alf segment from a while back, however one of his medals actually has a Slig engraved into it. What could such a medal represent?

01-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

The image of Lulu's improvised fund at the end of MO could be an artist's interpretation of Lulu's current state, if you're looking for a simple explanation.

Otherwise, I like to think that even the most incompetent and lazy glukkon can still get someone to write it. Though, I suppose he would have had to get out of his suit somehow, as it's in the bin, so either someone helped him undress (and presumably helped with the board) or he is capable of undressing himself. Who's to say he didn't just lean up against a wall and write it with his own hands in a rather embarrassing moment?

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

01-26-2017, 11:41 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

:
The image of Lulu's improvised fund at the end of MO could be an artist's interpretation of Lulu's current state, if you're looking for a simple explanation.

Otherwise, I like to think that even the most incompetent and lazy glukkon can still get someone to write it. Though, I suppose he would have had to get out of his suit somehow, as it's in the bin, so either someone helped him undress (and presumably helped with the board) or he is capable of undressing himself. Who's to say he didn't just lean up against a wall and write it with his own hands in a rather embarrassing moment?
That's a fair point. Just to heap up even more humiliation after his fall from stardom, there stands Lulu, half naked in a back alley, crudely etching a desperate plea for help into a urine-soaked piece of old cardboard he found behind a dustbin. Oh, the humanity!

01-26-2017, 11:51 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

:
That's a fair point. Just to heap up even more humiliation after his fall from stardom, there stands Lulu, half naked in a back alley, crudely etching a desperate plea for help into a urine-soaked piece of old cardboard he found behind a dustbin. Oh, the humanity!

You mean Glukkony, Glukkonity? lol