Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

05-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Henchman1028
Chippunk

: Jan 2013
: Gibraltar
: 26
Henchman1028  (25)
Native Just finished New N' Tasty for the PS3...

While there are some things I like about it, like quiksaves and different difficulty levels, there was a lot of stuff I didn't like about it. I ran into a lot of framerate issues, the loading times were ridiculously long (Almost Sonic 06 level loading times), the game would freeze after every two levels or so, usually in the middle of cutscenes, and while the difficulty for most of the game was toned down, some of the new areas they added like the new Elum section in Scrabania with only one checkpoint were ridiculous. The ragdoll physics were also kinda dumb, with everyone wobbling like jello when they die. Reminds me of Demon Souls ragdolls, except they don't get caught on your foot. The voice acting, while funny at times, did get annoying at other times. The new cutscenes were OK, but felt unnecessary at times (The one with Molluck in the Stockyards especially), and the atmosphere didn't feel as good as the original.

What annoyed me the most however was the lack of a reward for killing all the mudokons you can possibly kill. While the reward in the original Oddysee was lackluster (Infinite grenades, though you won't get to use them much since it starts you off at Rupturefarms II), you at least got something for it. I wasted my time killing 270 mudokons for nothing but the bad ending (And Mudokon Pop trophy). Heck, even Munch's Oddysee had a extra newspaper cutscene for killing all the mudokons, fuzzles and egg crates you can, along with a trophy in the HD version.

Last edited by Henchman1028; 05-03-2015 at 03:17 PM..
05-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Scrabaniac
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2009
: Somewhere in the UK
: 838
Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)

The only thing i can agree on with you here is the voice acting. Some of the mudokons sounded stereotypical Indian/Pakistani, which was a little strange and atmosphere killing. The different variations of them chanting was also irritating.. especially the ones that went "HUMMMMMMM" and "YAOW YA YAOW YA YAOW"! Hopefully JAW will return to the classic soft voices in Twice Ze Flavour (I think thats what it will be called since everyones using it).

The rag dolling makes more sense than having abe die in the same way each time, because NNT doesn't run on a grid like the original.

The Elum parts i found very fun and useful, i can't fault them. it really tests your timing skills!

My framerate has been fine, with no issues of freezing. It may need a patch update for ps3 as it did for Ps4 when it was released a while ago.

The Molluck scene? GREAT. We see more of Molluck with cutscenes like this. It shows that Abe managed to escape successfully and show the CEO's reaction, which makes him want Abe dead more. The other cutscenes with Abe entering the temples were brilliant imo. Its much better than just zooming into the entrance as a cutscene. Plus it's more creative than Abe jumping in a portal to get there!

As for the reward, yeah it's not like the old one, but the idea really is that you complete it by rescuing all the Mudokons, then replaying the game killing them all. the achievement is that you have completed the game 100%.

I know the atmosphere isn't the same.. but the PS1's graphics were less qualitative back then, which made games look grimy and dark, which fitted perfectly with Abe's Oddysee. I found the graphics too bright for Oddworld at first, but you can tinker with the Gamma in the options, and just by taking it down a few notches really affects the lighting in gameplay and recreates that darkness. Especially in the temples!

New n Tasty isn't a bad game at all. All the reviews are either 8/10 or 9/10 (3.5/5 or 4/5). It takes a little while to get used to the new physics and atmosphere, but its all still there somewhere. I still got heart palpitations during a few Scrab chases! I owe it all to JAW, they did an amazing job.

05-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Ridley
Zappfly

: Apr 2015
: Pangaea
: 14
Ridley  (10)

:
The only thing i can agree on with you here is the voice acting. Some of the mudokons sounded stereotypical Indian/Pakistani, which was a little strange and atmosphere killing. The different variations of them chanting was also irritating.. especially the ones that went "HUMMMMMMM" and "YAOW YA YAOW YA YAOW"!
Were any of the Mudokon voices not using their own accent? The ridiculously British Mudokon was a surprise but considering how ridiculously French the Brewmaster is, it didn't kill the atmosphere for me.

And I loved that password Mudokon in Scrabania past the just the first(?) Elum/honey section. Of course, if those voices are randomly generated per game session this is totally unhelpful; still, I found his polite "Hello!"/"Do you know ze password?"/"Password pleaze!"/"Correct!" quite endearing.
The tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

05-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Henchman1028
Chippunk

: Jan 2013
: Gibraltar
: 26
Henchman1028  (25)

:
Were any of the Mudokon voices not using their own accent? The ridiculously British Mudokon was a surprise but considering how ridiculously French the Brewmaster is, it didn't kill the atmosphere for me.
I always thought the Brewmaster was suppose to be German, not French. His accent always sounded like more of a German accent to me, it him being German makes sense since the Germans make some of the most popular beers in the world like Heineken.

Last edited by Henchman1028; 05-03-2015 at 05:34 PM..
05-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

I assumed that the variation in voices was down to all the fan actors.

05-04-2015, 12:21 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

:
The only thing i can agree on with you here is the voice acting. Some of the mudokons sounded stereotypical Indian/Pakistani, which was a little strange and atmosphere killing. The different variations of them chanting was also irritating.. especially the ones that went "HUMMMMMMM" and "YAOW YA YAOW YA YAOW"! Hopefully JAW will return to the classic soft voices in Twice Ze Flavour (I think thats what it will be called since everyones using it).

The rag dolling makes more sense than having abe die in the same way each time, because NNT doesn't run on a grid like the original.

The Elum parts i found very fun and useful, i can't fault them. it really tests your timing skills!

My framerate has been fine, with no issues of freezing. It may need a patch update for ps3 as it did for Ps4 when it was released a while ago.

The Molluck scene? GREAT. We see more of Molluck with cutscenes like this. It shows that Abe managed to escape successfully and show the CEO's reaction, which makes him want Abe dead more. The other cutscenes with Abe entering the temples were brilliant imo. Its much better than just zooming into the entrance as a cutscene. Plus it's more creative than Abe jumping in a portal to get there!

As for the reward, yeah it's not like the old one, but the idea really is that you complete it by rescuing all the Mudokons, then replaying the game killing them all. the achievement is that you have completed the game 100%.

I know the atmosphere isn't the same.. but the PS1's graphics were less qualitative back then, which made games look grimy and dark, which fitted perfectly with Abe's Oddysee. I found the graphics too bright for Oddworld at first, but you can tinker with the Gamma in the options, and just by taking it down a few notches really affects the lighting in gameplay and recreates that darkness. Especially in the temples!

New n Tasty isn't a bad game at all. All the reviews are either 8/10 or 9/10 (3.5/5 or 4/5). It takes a little while to get used to the new physics and atmosphere, but its all still there somewhere. I still got heart palpitations during a few Scrab chases! I owe it all to JAW, they did an amazing job.
Fucking Lord the mudokons chanting, especially the YA YAOOW YA YAOOW one, made me want to shake a baby. They were AWFUL.

05-04-2015, 02:29 AM
New 'n' Tasty
Stunk

: Sep 2014
: New Zealand
: 38
New 'n' Tasty  (10)

lookin in on getting the game on steam this month, maybe nnt virgin

New 'n' Tasty Stunk

k.

Last edited by New 'n' Tasty; 05-04-2015 at 02:31 AM..
05-04-2015, 02:51 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

: Apr 2011
: Britain
: 1,326
Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

:
I know the atmosphere isn't the same.. but the PS1's graphics were less qualitative back then, which made games look grimy and dark, which fitted perfectly with Abe's Oddysee.
There were plenty of bright and colourful games on the PS1, take Tomba / Tombi for example, that game would almost make your eyes bleed at much as Super Mario 64. The graphics only count towards a certain amount of the grime of the game. It's quite annoying seeing people give the lack of graphical quality so much credit for the original atmosphere, they did have a plan to make it look dark, y'know. They didn't imagine a colourful Rupture farms with green oozing out of the sides, or glow in the dark Mushrooms in FFZ and then when they loaded it into the PS1 were like "holy shit the drop in quality makes this awesome! What a stroke of luck!" You can view the original screenshots in their optimum resolution with Paul's level editor and you can see the harsh dank environments that make N'n'T look considerably less dark.

05-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

: Australia
: 795
Shade667  (196)Shade667  (196)

:
I assumed that the variation in voices was down to all the fan actors.
Yes. I quite liked the variety, made it feel like i wasnt rescuing clones.
Patience is a virtue.

05-06-2015, 07:31 AM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

: Oct 2014
: London
: 687
FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)

Oh hey I wanna be a mudokon in Twice Ze Flavour too. I even have a foreign accent!

05-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

: Australia
: 795
Shade667  (196)Shade667  (196)

:
Oh hey I wanna be a mudokon in Twice Ze Flavour too. I even have a foreign accent!
As I recall there was a pre-requisite of having to have a specific audio setup, case u didnt know.
Patience is a virtue.

05-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Samtastic
Formely Samlaptop95

: Oct 2012
: UK
: 169
Samtastic  (121)Samtastic  (121)

:
As I recall there was a pre-requisite of having to have a specific audio setup, case u didnt know.
Yeah your audio recordings need to be like studio room quality. You'll need a microphone capable of recording 24-bit 96khz audio.