Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

10-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

In no particular order

1: Destroid - The Invasion
Bounce

2: KOAN Sound and Asa - Sanctuary EP
Starlite

3: Mike Morasky - Portal 2: Songs To Test By (I went and bought the physical edition)
Reconstructing More Science

4: Nero - Welcome Reality
This album is so good from start to finish, it's just a really great listening experience, but if I had to pick one track it would probably be Innocence.

5: Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 2 OST
Again, all the tracks are great, but the tone of this track in particular always makes me jizz.
White Noiz

6: SubVibe - Everything Machine
Rediscovery

Honourable Mention:

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
Öngyilkos Vasárnap

10-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

The Mollusk - Ween
Whatever Pink Floyd was to naive burnouts in the 90's, Ween is such to me, now. It was a hard choice since Ween has a lot of really great, massive albums but The Mollusk is a relatively compact collection of simply amazing songs. It's a diaspora, frequently departing into sheer goofiness but with a consistent tone.
Sample: Ocean Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89k1l3-Ruxg

GIANT ROBOT - Buckethead (with an honorable mention for Inbred Mountain)
Buckethead was also a hard choice. He's my favourite guitarist and easily my favorite individual 'musician' (somehow the two are both mutually exclusive and one in the same to me) but the prolific nature of his work made it hard to pick 'one' album. Giant Robot is a massive in scope, balls to wall concept album about crushing monsters and bein' weird. Giant Robot is an older album however, so I put forth It's Alive as Bucket's best in the 'recent releases' category I just made up.
Giant Robot Sample: Aquabot http://youtu.be/4cG5SjwR4UM
It's Alive Sample: Tonka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwdinjDLyc I like to think this song is about a guy slowly turning into an exhaust-spewing constructicon machine-man.

Symphony No. None/How Long Does it Take to Get to Space - Virtual Boy
A nice pair of electronic albums that don't sound like everything else. The Taint Soundtrack and a few songs by The Glitch Mob also fall into this category for me.
Sample: Threshold of Pain (which isn't actually on either of the albums mentioned) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPx-cJtKNwo

Merriweather Post Pavillion - Animal Collective.
Animal Collective is very hit-and-miss with me, but this album is consistently appealing to my crusty scarred eardrums. It's also amazing.
Sample: Summertime Clothes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAyADMSppaw
Other sample because amazing: In the flowers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8WH8qgBLM

California - Mr. Bungle
Mr. Bungle remains one of my favourite bands. I love all of their albums equally; Mr. Bungle is like a comedian who keeps storming off stage and coming back angrier and funnier, Disco Volante is like an awkward sexual experiment being paraphrased by an alien and California is like seeing an old friend off before his station wagon is swallowed up by the apocalypse. It helps that after roughly ten years of listening to them, I'm still massively perplexed by their lyrics.
Sample: The Air-Conditioned nightmare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8O5UgX8Z8

The United States of America - The United States of America
A psychedelic rock album with no electric guitars whatsoever. Very trippy and honky tonk but distinct and eerily listenable. 'One of the great forgotten Psychedelic rock albums' - some pantshitting music nerd.
Sample - I wouldn't leave my wooden wife for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCBArbKtMw

ok bye

10-28-2014, 11:53 AM
OANST
Necrum Burial Grounds Moderator
Our worst member ever

: Jun 2003
: Them dark fucking woods
: 12,320
OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

We both picked The Mollusk!!!

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy

It is the only album that I've owned since I was 16 years old that is still in constant rotation in my work commute.

My bowels hurt.

10-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Littleleeroy
Boombat

: Aug 2008
: Australia
: 227
Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)

In featured order:

The Bird and the Bee - Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future
My favourite band (well, duo) and the first album of theirs I listened to

Bag Raiders - Bag Raiders
A recent new fav of mine. Two guys from Sydney

Enya - The Very Best of Enya
Such soothing sounds :P

ABBA - The Visitors
I love ABBA to bits (every song they ever wrote is amazing) so really any album of theirs. I just chose this one cause it's got some lesser known songs that I really like.

Combustible Edison - I, Swinger
I discovered this cool jazzy 90's band thanks to TF2

South Park - South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Soundtrack)
The best musical movie ever. So funny and such an awesome soundtrack (the whole show has awesome music.) I know every word to the album unlike some of the others in the list.

Last edited by Littleleeroy; 11-01-2014 at 12:17 AM..
10-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

:
We both picked The Mollusk!!!

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy

It is the only album that I've owned since I was 16 years old that is still in constant rotation in my work commute.

I like to tell people Quebec is what will get you to listen to Ween, The Mollusk is what will keep you listening to Ween.

I don't actually ever say that but that's how it went for me. I was tempted to pick 12 Golden Country Greats because then I could post Piss Up a Rope but man Ocean Man, man.

10-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Dynamithix
Wolvark Grenadier

: Aug 2010
: Finland
: 4,794
Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)

I didn't include any Finnish records even though some of my favourite albums are Finnish rap, but yeah anyways let's go.

Nujabes - Modal Soul

Lovely hip hop album, a lot of chill and emotional tunes, I think this is definitely Nujabes' best project even though Metaphorical Music is great too. Beautiful record overall.

Fav. tracks: Reflection Eternal, Sea of Cloud

MF DOOM - Mm.. Food

A great hip hop / rap album, this was my introduction to MF DOOM's works and man, I love it. Great samples, clever and funny lyrics, funny skits, it has it all. Definitely DOOM's best solo project and in my opinion, it's slightly better than Madvillainy too.

Fav. tracks: Deep Fried Frenz, Rapp Snitch Knishes

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Before late 2012, early 2013 I hadn't really been a huge 'Ye fan but around that time I finally listened to pretty much his whole discography and MBDTF blew me away, it's so good. It's definitely one of the best hip hop albums of recent years and no doubt a modern classic. All hail Yeezy.

Fav. tracks: Hell of a Life, Monster, Devil in a New Dress

Gorillaz - Demon Days

One of the first albums I bought myself (back in '05) and I still really like it and listen to it from time to time. Damon Albarn's voice and the trip hop / alt. rock instrumentals go together so well, love it.

Fav. tracks: Kids With Guns, November Has Come, Feel Good Inc.

Röyksopp - Melody A.M.

Amazingly soothing and happiness inducing album that really helped me keep my mind off of some shitty things a few years ago, great album.

Fav. tracks: Sparks, Remind Me (Someone Else's Radio Remix)

Death Grips - The Money Store

The Money Store is an amazing experimental hip hop record that has a lot of grimy and loud punk-ish tracks and I fucking love it. I don't usually like too heavy, hard hitting instrumentals but Death Grips just fucking nails it, listening to TMS gets me pumped and MC Ride, the vocalist, has some catchy-as-fuck hooks in the songs. Really great record and in my opinion it definitely outshines their other projects even though they are really good too.

Fav. tracks: Hacker, Get Got, Double Helix, I've Seen Footage

Oh yeah, some honourable mentions:

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Rustie - Glass Swords
Kuedo - Severant
Burial - Untrue
Dr. Dre - 2001

Whew, well that took a while to write.
10-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

I'd like to add a couple more honourable mentions.

The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
I like all of The Prodigy's albums but I don't think any give me a listening experience as fulfilling as this one.
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Just amazing.

:
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Burial - Untrue
Dr. Dre - 2001
I definitely second these.