Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

10-24-2012, 12:58 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)
Oddworld Oddworld Halloween Challenge 2012

This is the second Oddworld Halloween Challenge. Thanks to all who competed last year. Let's see if we can break a record this year.

The idea is as follows, you take part in this survey by picking various options and then we will write a narrative story involving every suggestion and choice you make. You're welcome to post ideas in here and then we can make a cool Halloween story.

Why not draw your ideas from all over your film/game/book collection? Take cliches, put a new spin on them, try out something new!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/83PTPTD

Please take part and invite everyone you know!

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

10-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Hulaabeo
Grubb Fisherman

: Jul 2007
: Ontario, Canada.
: 997
Hulaabeo  (225)Hulaabeo  (225)Hulaabeo  (225)

Count me in. If I can't do anything in terms of visual art, then at least I can do this...

Do you have to include all mentioned characters? Like Lord Talbot, Ronaldo, etc?

Last edited by Hulaabeo; 10-24-2012 at 02:47 AM..
10-24-2012, 03:47 AM
Fred The Fuzzle
Boombat

: Aug 2008
: Australia
: 246
Fred The Fuzzle  (218)Fred The Fuzzle  (218)Fred The Fuzzle  (218)

From the characters you've mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of the Hobbit.
10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

:
Count me in. If I can't do anything in terms of visual art, then at least I can do this...

Do you have to include all mentioned characters? Like Lord Talbot, Ronaldo, etc?
Depends who gets voted the highest. The higher the number of votes, the higher likelihood of being kept. The Hobbit would be an interesting type of style to go for.

Got 7 entries so far, keep it up!

Edit: We're up to 11 now! Let's see if I can get 8 more and break my record!

16! Getting close to the record now...

18! That means I have exactly as many as last year. If you want to enter you still have some time! So feel free to have a go!

[B]
floofyderg.live

Last edited by AlexFili; 11-01-2012 at 01:35 AM..
11-01-2012, 01:46 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

= Challenge Results = (As of 1st Nov 2012)
1. What main weapon does everyone have?
44.4% Assault Rifle
33.3% Blunderbuss
11.1% Laser Pistol
11.1% Minigun

2. What secondary weapon does the character have?
72.2% Machete
11.1% Heavy Pistol
11.1% Grenades
5.6% Beam Sabre

3. Who is the leader of the expedition?
61.1% Sgt Bauer
16.7% Bleebles
11.1% Kid Red
5.6% Rolando
5.6% Sir Talbot

4. Where are the team?
33.3% Yarabania
27.8% Abbey Fields
27.8% Warringpool
11.1% Redfield
0% Nojive

5. The monster has: (Top 5 choices)
50% No mercy
27.8% A face only a mother could love
27.8% Lots of tentacles
22.2% Four arms
22.2% Night vision

6. One of the participants is taken by a monster and dies a horrible death. What happens to him?

SEE BELOW

7. How do the team feel?
Fearful 10/10 (27.8%)
Excited 1/10 (27.8%)
Optimistic 1/10 (33.3%)
Bloodthirsty 1/10 (22.2%)

8. Do you think anyone will survive?
Survival Chance 1/10 (27.8%)

9. Finally, if you want to write a short paragraph to go into the story, please write it here

SEE BELOW

10. Any suggestions for next year?

-Don't just have a monster chasing a group of victims
-Laser-shooting eyes of doom
-More options

=*= LET THE HORROR BEGIN! =*=

Well the results are clear. The team have assault rifles and machetes, the leader is the hard-hitting slig Sgt. Bauer, they're in Yarabania (a jungle with vines the size of your head and acidic swamps that can eat through a slig's leg in seconds), the monster has no mercy, a face only a mother could love, lots of tentacles, four arms and night vision.

I'll now be posting the death rattles of those that submitted them and everyone is welcome to comment on the results and add their own narratives based on the stories we get.

= AND SO BEGINS THE HORRIBLE TALE... =

Two days after the political rally, they took off from the corporate capital, their airship heads off to the great war. Earlier during the dusk, the right propulsion engine gearing suddenly fails, and the whole team jumps up to help the technicians fix the problem. The problem escalated, so they had to land the airship near a jungle to fix it, little did they know the horrors that would unfold...

Sgt Bauer steps out of the airship, looking at the recruits lined up to head into the forest. "Ok listen up, two hours ago we got information that something was loose in this forest. C.P.U. thinks we should act on this, and so I've assembled the best men I could find. Your mission is simple. Get out there, report to me and we'll take care of the monster. You've got your orders, now move out!"

Meanwhile...

"Fascinating," The vykker murmured, straightening to his feet. "To make such a mess and yet leave not a single scrap of flesh..." He mused for a moment and then clapped his claws together. "It seems to me that our best move would be to let someone wait here as bait -" (An idle gesture towards Ben), "You, mud, you'll do - and the rest of us spread out to make a perimeter. It'll be fascinating to see how this creature hunts its prey!"

Fascinating and horrifying, but there's more...

The young Wolvark, Kid Red (who is not the star of this little adventure, but is here anyway), was frantically hacking through the jungle of Yarabania. His face and clothes are stained with the blood of his comrades, his eyes displaying an immense fear for his life. He's been bush whacking for hours, desperately trying to get out of this cursed jungle. But will he get out in time?

ONE BY ONE, INDIVIDUALS ARE TAKEN BY THE MONSTER...

-The monster has a long tentacle-like tongue, which he wraps around the victim's leg, who is then thrown against a wall. The monster jumps on top of him and wraps his tongue around his neck. He lifts the victim up before impaling him.

-One of the team members remains on a side rapid firing cannon turret platform on the airship. The monster is irritated by the rain of bullets, so it starts jumping around a canyon, then it manages to jump up near the airship, and manages to tear off the turret platform alongside the team members on it. They fall down in the canyon. The monster survives but the team member gets consumed by the monster. First he is paralysed and then frozen... later he is then shot and then exploded in a shower of gibs.

-Another victim is a Vykker medic, who wasn't cautious enough and got dragged into a dark alley by the monster. Only his high-pitched screams indicated his fate. He is thrashed around for a few minutes by the monster to the point of almost unconsciousness, when the monster tips him upside down and slowly devours parts of his head, leaving him alive for as long as possible.

- He falls into the monster's nest and the monster is having none of this so acid death occurs, melting away his face quickly

- Death by a concoction of *censored* and forced *censored* by a bagpipe. Another victim simply dies from pure fright of seeing such a horrible creature.

- The monster carries him to a cliff edge, he is put hanging off but still being held by his legs. Two rocks are placed on his legs and the monster hits them until his legs fall off and he falls off. His friends attempt to find him but all they find is blood. Splattered all over the place.

- The monster grabs the victim's leg. Twisting strongly the creature breaks his leg, the victim screams in pain. Suddenly the monster hangs the scared victim high by the neck, the victim struggles to breathe. The horror squeezes tight crunching every bone in the scared victim's neck. The monster throws him to the ground. The victim is infected with a virus and is relegated to babbling incessantly for the rest of his life.

- The victim is suddenly approached from behind by a sinister looking creature. The victim barely has a chance to breathe as he is pulled away from the group. Along the way he is smashed against boulders and screams off into the distance, "Game over man, game over!"

[B]
floofyderg.live

Last edited by AlexFili; 11-01-2012 at 02:11 AM..
11-01-2012, 07:48 AM
GLaDOS
Bolamite

: Mar 2012
: I don't live, I'm an AI
: 71
GLaDOS  (82)

The cliff edge idea was mine. Originally it wasn't well put into words, thanks for making it sound better.

Nice work.

11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Hulaabeo
Grubb Fisherman

Oh hey, Kid Red made it into the thing. .w.

11-01-2012, 11:22 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

:
The cliff edge idea was mine. Originally it wasn't well put into words, thanks for making it sound better.

Nice work.
Thanks. I decided to try and combine a few of the ideas together to form a slightly better narrative.

We've now hit 19 entries! Thanks to everyone for helping me break the record!

[B]
floofyderg.live

11-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Hulaabeo
Grubb Fisherman

Meh, I don't feel like writing.

Too busy with school work and other obligations.

11-02-2012, 12:25 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

That's alright. We're all busy one way or another

[B]
floofyderg.live

11-15-2012, 08:53 AM
MudokonRyan
Zappfly

: Aug 2012
: England
: 6
MudokonRyan  (10)

The monster grabs the victim's leg. Twisting strongly the creature breaks his leg, the victim screams in pain. Suddenly the monster hangs the scared victim high by the neck, the victim struggles to breathe. The horror squeezes tight crunching every bone in the scared victim's neck. The monster throws him to the ground. The victim is infected with a virus and is relegated to babbling incessantly for the rest of his life.

THAT'S MY BIT! HURRAY!