02-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: Apr 2001
: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)
Exclamation Undercover Operations is being Discontinued

Okay, firstly I'd like to say that this isn't another of those "Reply or I stop writing" threats that I've done before. I've made up my mind, and I will be discontinuing "Undercover Operations". Basically because it's shit...

This is partly a "For Your Information" post, but I would also like some kind of responce along the lines of some kind of feedback from UO. Do you agree that it was bad (honestly)? Why was it bad? What could have been done to improve it? What should I do with it now?

Basically, I've identified three possible reasons for its shitness:

One was that it was Plot-driven rather than Character-driven. "Fragments", in contrast, was very much character-based, and (not meaning to sound ego-centric) was actually quite good. I am clearly not able to produce plots that hold up the story by themselves.

Another possible reason is the fact that I was attempting something on an Epic Scale, which just didn't work. Again, I base this on the fact that Fragments was far more personal, and you could really get under Ulven's skin in a way that just didn't happen at all in UO...

The third is simply that I allowed Characters to mulitply unchecked... I had literally about 50 characters in UO, and not many of them were particularly interesting. There were a few that I liked (Greeb, Arim, Mat, the Grozits, Snikkit), but these were not allowed to develop to their full potential, because they were simply buried among billions of characters. Especially Rettick. I HATE that guy! I tried to make him the main character, but he was so dull... He barely had any character at all...

Anyway, I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Basically, I am unsure on what I plan to do with UO. I have definitely decided to discontinue it at least until "Higher Motives" is finished. After that, I am not sure whether I want to continue it, put it on hold (adding chapters as and when I think of them), or discontinue it. I would quite like to discontinue it, as that might mean I could use the actually interesting characters in future fics, if I chose to, but then this is one of the things I would like advice on...

So, does anyone have any advice/general feedback on UO at all?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-22-2002, 11:27 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

I actually enjoyed UO. But I think one of the problems was that it had so many subplots it was hard to keep track. Yes I agree with the characters too...with so many by the time you get back to one of them you are like 'who is this again?' Though I didn't really get that feel with UO, (though it may have been due to the long lengths of time between chaps), with some books I read, 'subplot hop'. In other words the book would suddenly switch to another subplot, leaving your mind literally spining. Ugh...
Other then that...it was well written and would like to see it finished. But you are the writer...and it is ultimently your decsion as to whether to finish it or not.

*sees Dan fainted on the floor* um...Dan....

Spider: I think its because you actually critised some bits for once....

Oh....

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

02-23-2002, 02:58 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

i liked it, it was cool... but yea, like drag said, to many sub plots. if you kept it more as the group of sligs and the warehouse group it may be easier... and yes, to many characters, but still really cool.
02-24-2002, 08:31 AM
kleeng
Thudslug

: Dec 2001
: neatherlands
: 161
kleeng  (10)

I liked it too ( when i finaly got round to reading it ) and i didnt experience the too many characters feel but thats probably becous I read the whole thing in one go.

The beginning whas a bit boring but near the end you seem to finaly find some realy interesting topics and places.
The great forest for instance I realy liked that place realy intriging and the forest mud's and the wild slig. I also liked the two glukkon caracters being each others opposits and the posebilety that somehing evil lurks in that forest.

What i didnt like where the vikker doctor that changed schape and the robottic caracter. They just seemd to easy and un oddworldy.

I would like to see an ending to it ( but thats just becous i can't stand storys that stop midway).
Or an other version of the story leaving out the bad bits and using the good bits to create a more comperhensinsive and les confusing story.

But thats just my opinion.