Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion > Oddworld Mods & Hacks

05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
RoryF
aka OddMan360

: Jul 2009
: 42 Wallaby Way
: 1,485
RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)
The Beta Level (Variation)

Thought after a while of creating and editing this level it would be time to test it, it's only the first path, so be aware of that.

*NEW THINGS*
Includes new cam edits (full ones, whole screens).
A few muds in new places to save.
Proper collision item editing (correct Types for stuff).
New puzzles (obvously).
New screens (eg E1P06C13).
Slog puzzles (just because they're fun).

*BUG FIXES*
Sligs more responsive.
UXBs aligned properly.
Collision paths corrected.
Mines work perfectly (sort of).
Bird portals work.
Muds work.
Slogs work.
Extended collision paths on walls to stop cheaters or glitchers skipping screens .
Shadows mostly work.

*KNOWN BUGS*
UXBs randomly beep green 3 times on starting the level, probably just the game.
Slogs very rarely seem to go through the mines, don't know why.
Shadows might be a bit off center.
Path transition tends to want to be annoying and not work. Running first time tends to work though.
Some objects could be a bit off center.

*Special Thanks*
JennyGenesis for testing and pointing out some bugs.
skychase2rebirth for the excellent Cam editing thread (now part of Object Encyclopedia 101).
Tadimo for some cam tips in that thread (which is the ones I mainly focused on for this).

*Download*

NOTICE: This is only the first path! I will eventually release updates on it for fixed releases!

Please provide any thoughts or bugs you've found in this path, it makes it easier to find and fix them for a better level!

Last edited by RoryF; 05-17-2011 at 08:33 AM..
05-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Tadimo
Boombat

: Oct 2010
: Australia
: 207
Tadimo  (141)Tadimo  (141)

Pretty nice variation, just a couple of minor issues:
*The first time I played the game crashed after I died on the first screen, though it didn't crash when I replicated the same conditions afterward
*On the first screen the right ledge doesn't look like you should be able to hoist onto it (hoisting on thin air)
*The lower platform on the screen after the shrykull portal briefly plays the falling animation with sound when you walk over it from the right (checked & you have overlapping collission lines on that platform)
*For some reason the path transition wouldn't trigger for me (too far from the screen edge?), Abe just dissappeared to the left of the screen without anything happening. I had to jump into the path transition to get to the next path
*The sleeping slig on the 2nd screen doesn't wake up even with a mine exploding near him, his only purpose seems to be to disrupt your chanting when he runs into the right mine

Apart from that very nice stuff, can't wait to see more!
05-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Jango
Rabid Fuzzle

: Brize Norton, UK
: 505
Jango  (177)Jango  (177)

Looks amazing! But you shouldn't bother releasing updates for it. Just post the entire level when it is finished - it would be better that way.

EDIT: I've just played this level, and I think it is excellent! Really good challenging puzzles. Good layout. Great .CAMs! I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. I really can't wait for the finished level.

It would be so great if you made a RuptureFarms III.

Last edited by Jango; 05-17-2011 at 07:58 AM..
05-17-2011, 06:36 AM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

: Mar 2011
: Wales, United Kingdom
: 3,084
JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)

:
*The first time I played the game crashed after I died on the first screen, though it didn't crash when I replicated the same conditions afterward
*On the first screen the right ledge doesn't look like you should be able to hoist onto it (hoisting on thin air)
*The lower platform on the screen after the shrykull portal briefly plays the falling animation with sound when you walk over it from the right (checked & you have overlapping collission lines on that platform)
*For some reason the path transition wouldn't trigger for me (too far from the screen edge?), Abe just dissappeared to the left of the screen without anything happening. I had to jump into the path transition to get to the next path
*The sleeping slig on the 2nd screen doesn't wake up even with a mine exploding near him, his only purpose seems to be to disrupt your chanting when he runs into the right mine

I already brought those issues to OddMan360 when I tested this level for him. So I'm sure he was already fixing it by the time you made this post

05-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Tadimo
Boombat

:
I already brought those issues to OddMan360 when I tested this level for him. So I'm sure he was already fixing it by the time you made this post
Well perhaps he should've posted about those bugs too (though I did repeat one of his items in my post).
05-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

: Apr 2011
: Britain
: 1,326
Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

I had the death problem also. Quite irritating to have to restart the game once you die. Apart from that a great level!

EDIT: Also, if you climb up to the right in the first screen you pass through a checkpoint, where you respawn if you die. Then if you try and get down to disable the UXB the slig hears you and shoots. You can just chant whilst your up there to get him to go away but I thought i'd point that out

Last edited by Connell; 05-17-2011 at 08:14 AM..
05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
RoryF
aka OddMan360

RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)

:
I had the death problem also. Quite irritating to have to restart the game once you die. Apart from that a great level!

EDIT: Also, if you climb up to the right in the first screen you pass through a checkpoint, where you respawn if you die. Then if you try and get down to disable the UXB the slig hears you and shoots. You can just chant whilst your up there to get him to go away but I thought i'd point that out
I have no idea what's causing the death problem .
I'll try and look into it and see what the problem is, what version are you using? It might vary...

About the slig, he's supposed to be like that. You have to chant or cause noise for him, or you can just wait ages...
If you're on about him coming back too fast, I don't know why either. I've not come across this before, and again I will see what I can do.

:
Yeah, it's a bit annoying though since I've only saved the final version of the cam. So I've got to be pretty spot on to make the ledge bigger or I screw it up. If you spot problems with any other with cams, they should be easier to fix, because I backed them up to make them easier to re-edit.

:

Again, don't know what's happening with the death bug, I'm not getting it so I can't exactly tell what's going on...
The first screen right ledge has got a bit of a ledge, I'll see if can extend it without screwing up the cam. *Refer to my answer to JennyGenesis' post*
Yeah I'll fix that overlap problem now...
The path transition is really annoying, it seems to work once then mess up. I'll hopefully fix that too.
The sleeping Slig is sorta deaf. I made it like that on purpose so he doesn't blow up the wrong mine otherwise the slog bug might occur...

Thank you guys for pointing out these bugs! If you find anything else you want to add, please do!
I'll be off now to patch these problems...

Thanks for the great feedback on the path as well, I'm glad the cams are good!

05-17-2011, 08:36 AM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)

Oddman. Rather than worrying about the CAM wouldn't it be easier if you just made the collision path shorter?

05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
RoryF
aka OddMan360

:
Oddman. Rather than worrying about the CAM wouldn't it be easier if you just made the collision path shorter?
Nah, that wouldn't work. It seems to cause problems with the hoist.

05-17-2011, 08:38 AM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

Do we even need that ledge at all? You could just remove it. I can't remember if it is neccesary but I don't believe it is.

05-17-2011, 08:40 AM
RoryF
aka OddMan360

:
Do we even need that ledge at all? You could just remove it. I can't remember if it is neccesary but I don't believe it is.
It's neccesary to get past the slog. The UXB next to the ledge must be activated and jumped over. Having the hoist there is helpful for people who might not be as good at the game.

05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

: Apr 2011
: Britain
: 1,326
Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

:
I have no idea what's causing the death problem .
I'll try and look into it and see what the problem is, what version are you using? It might vary...
I'm using 2.0, you might be right there, I have a hunch if you placed the checkpoint where Abe drops down into the screen at the start that may fix it. Because the game doesn't know where to put abe if he hasn't passed through a checkpoint at the start of a level. That's just a theroy.

:
About the slig, he's supposed to be like that. You have to chant or cause noise for him, or you can just wait ages...
If you're on about him coming back too fast, I don't know why either. I've not come across this before, and again I will see what I can do.
No, what I meant is, when you climb up onto the ledge to the right of the UXB abe automatically passes through a checkpoint, so whenever you respawn your on that ledge, and when you try and get back down the slig automatically hears you. But since then i've played through it again and realised I can just chant whilst im up there anyway ><

05-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Tadimo
Boombat

I have 2.0 as well, also I checked and Abe does indeed need to pass through the continue check point to be able to respawn there or else the game crashes.

Here's an interesting thing I discovered also: The game keeps track of the last continue checkpoint that you've been through even when you quit to the main menu.

I accidentally started a new game, quit to the main menu and then used level select to get to the stockyards variation. After dying without passing through the continue checkpoint I was respawned at the start of the game.
05-17-2011, 09:51 PM
RoryF
aka OddMan360

:
I have 2.0 as well, also I checked and Abe does indeed need to pass through the continue check point to be able to respawn there or else the game crashes.

Here's an interesting thing I discovered also: The game keeps track of the last continue checkpoint that you've been through even when you quit to the main menu.

I accidentally started a new game, quit to the main menu and then used level select to get to the stockyards variation. After dying without passing through the continue checkpoint I was respawned at the start of the game.
I just looked at the path again now, the checkpoint is right on the part of the platform that you land on. I'll move it a bit left, to see if that works better.