02-28-2011, 05:20 AM
BlackVenom
Boombat

: Nov 2007
: Australia, Queensland
: 231
BlackVenom  (186)BlackVenom  (186)
Resquesting a story or plot ideas for Exoddus mod

If you already know me, then you know my capabilities with making Oddworld scenes and actually making maps with them. If not, then hi! xD

Anyway, Paul has made a work around for his level editor, allowing editing the maps for Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus and I intend to use Exoddus for this mod.

I am absolutely horrible when it comes to thinking up a great plot or storyline but I'm sure someone here could whip up something amazing. All I'm looking for really is another plot like the other Abe games. Traveling around industrial areas and saving mudokkons and other various things if you can think of other interesting ideas.

I don't really know how I'd incorporate the story into the game but I just need something I could follow really but I'll try to find ways to incorporate it.

Some of my previous mapping work for Oddysee:

02-28-2011, 05:39 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

This is very interesting, if you want an entirely new story line, PM me with the details. I'm pretty sure I remember you from Joshkrz, weren't you in Fanwerkz as well? I'm sure we worked together on Fillin.

02-28-2011, 06:22 AM
BlackVenom
Boombat

:
This is very interesting, if you want an entirely new story line, PM me with the details. I'm pretty sure I remember you from Joshkrz, weren't you in Fanwerkz as well? I'm sure we worked together on Fillin.
Yeah, I was working with Joshkrz with his project but unfortunately that went down. But at least I know that I could try something now that there is an actual editor that works!

Also, there's not much to PM about really. I'm just up for any ideas at the moment since I have nothing to start with.

02-28-2011, 07:41 AM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

: Mar 2009
: :noiƚɒɔo⅃
: 9,743
MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

Make Sligstorm.

02-28-2011, 08:20 AM
AvengingGibbons
Sewer Sleg

: Apr 2010
: England
: 737
AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)

How about the glukkons are designing and engineering themselves a body suit so they're not so useless, and Abe has to bring down the manufacturing plant, and destroy the designs..?

Or, they want to build on sacred mudokon land, so Abe fights back..?

or... Go with the classic bomb plot, and Abe has to stop them from blowing something up for some reason..

Last edited by AvengingGibbons; 02-28-2011 at 08:24 AM..
02-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I need to come up with a plot... here's a suggestion:
Abe wakes up in a factory. He knows how he got there, but the player does not. Over the course of the game, small little information things will hint at what the factory might be, but should be designed to be vague to anyone without pre-knowledge of what the facility is. Near the end, the purpose will be revealed, the player will discover everything, and then it's up to Abe to complete a final very reflex involving run, like the Boardroom.

Throughout the game, Abe's voice could narrate while gaining knowledge from touchstones, to further hint at the plot of the game. (Do not know if it is possible, but it sounds plausible, provided you get a voice actor)

Actually this is more of a small design document than an actual plot. Still, I suppose it might be of use.

A suggestion for a plot is below
Glukkons are developing new ways to cut down the great forests of the land (A saw could easily be confused as one used in a meat proccessing plant, letting the player guess around a bit) along with new methods to locate escapees, through use of the same sonar used in Vykker's labs. These sonar devices are similar in design to that of Vykker operating tools. Excessive, and very painful. Another developement of this factory would be trains, used to transport both the slaves, and the newly aquirred trees. Abe would have to shut down three different sections of the factory.

The reason for Abe waking up in the factory is this: he was captured, sonar implanted in his head, and now he's trying to escape. This will explain slig guards stationed as frequently as they are, and many of them seem to expect him to turn up. This sonar implanted in his head will be impossible to remove, and the fact that the facility is producing these will be kept secret for most of the game, but the presence of a third thing being manufactured will be hinted at with "new n' tasty" style posters and the like. (Which, the player could again guess as a throwback to Abe's Oddysee, with the return of Mudokon Pops)

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

02-28-2011, 10:53 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Right, I'm gonna start writing a concept tomorrow but I'm in the middle of coding someone else game and being ill

02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

: Jun 2007
: MilkyWay
: 1,535
Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)

What about Oddworld wars? Millions of greeters malfunction and go on a rampage, so an army of sligs are brought in to sort em out. Meanwhile you need to get your ass out of there without getting punked.

Crawling sligs will shout "Mommy!" while running around and then the slig mommy will appear and help them put their pants on.

02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
BlackVenom
Boombat

:
Make Sligstorm.
Already told you, It's not possible and it doesn't seem that interesting either.

:
How about the glukkons are designing and engineering themselves a body suit so they're not so useless, and Abe has to bring down the manufacturing plant, and destroy the designs..?

Or, they want to build on sacred mudokon land, so Abe fights back..?

or... Go with the classic bomb plot, and Abe has to stop them from blowing something up for some reason..
Hmm, not bad ideas there. But there's still a few issues like, how does effect muddokons so much that abe has to rescue them? I think they'd only need to be rescued if they are deep inside an industrial area because I'm sure they know how to navigate through their own land with ease.

:
Right, I'm gonna start writing a concept tomorrow but I'm in the middle of coding someone else game and being ill
Alright mate, Can't wait to see what you come up with.

:
I need to come up with a plot... here's a suggestion:
Abe wakes up in a factory. He knows how he got there, but the player does not. Over the course of the game, small little information things will hint at what the factory might be, but should be designed to be vague to anyone without pre-knowledge of what the facility is. Near the end, the purpose will be revealed, the player will discover everything, and then it's up to Abe to complete a final very reflex involving run, like the Boardroom.

Throughout the game, Abe's voice could narrate while gaining knowledge from touchstones, to further hint at the plot of the game. (Do not know if it is possible, but it sounds plausible, provided you get a voice actor)

Actually this is more of a small design document than an actual plot. Still, I suppose it might be of use.

A suggestion for a plot is below
Glukkons are developing new ways to cut down the great forests of the land (A saw could easily be confused as one used in a meat proccessing plant, letting the player guess around a bit) along with new methods to locate escapees, through use of the same sonar used in Vykker's labs. These sonar devices are similar in design to that of Vykker operating tools. Excessive, and very painful. Another developement of this factory would be trains, used to transport both the slaves, and the newly aquirred trees. Abe would have to shut down three different sections of the factory.

The reason for Abe waking up in the factory is this: he was captured, sonar implanted in his head, and now he's trying to escape. This will explain slig guards stationed as frequently as they are, and many of them seem to expect him to turn up. This sonar implanted in his head will be impossible to remove, and the fact that the facility is producing these will be kept secret for most of the game, but the presence of a third thing being manufactured will be hinted at with "new n' tasty" style posters and the like. (Which, the player could again guess as a throwback to Abe's Oddysee, with the return of Mudokon Pops)
Very interesting, I like it, but I'm not so sure about the sonar in abe's head because there's no way to visually show it. But other than that it sounds pretty good.

:
What about Oddworld wars? Millions of greeters malfunction and go on a rampage, so an army of sligs are brought in to sort em out. Meanwhile you need to get your ass out of there without getting punked.
That sounds more like a spinoff sort of thing rather than an actual story plot xD

02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
NovaMan
Howler Punk

: Jun 2009
: ?
: 345
NovaMan  (15)

Here is a short video i made:

And hammer editor vmf + bsp here:
http://uploaded.to/file/eg4lsm

:
Uhh... why are you posting that here?

Not only is that off topic, but what does that have to do with anything really?
Does this give you a idea?

1. you go to the left door and go in there
2. you come out closer the middle of the 3d cylinder
3. you then take another door
4. more close to the middle end of the 3d cylinder
5. drag a lever and a slam door will open
6. go back to the middle of the 3d cylinder
7. go right, then a bigger 3d cylinder with a elevator and some mudokons to rescue
8. after that, take the elevator down to the bottom of the 3d cylinder
9. A flying slig will chase you
10. after that, you discover a new 3d cylinder, the right side of it is skybox
11. Then Grassland with skybox and some mudokons to rescue

Last edited by NovaMan; 02-28-2011 at 11:07 PM..
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
BlackVenom
Boombat

Uhh... why are you posting that here?

Not only is that off topic, but what does that have to do with anything really?

03-01-2011, 03:54 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Ok BV,

How about this rather than start in the same old industrial setting, get to the boiler and blow the place up. Why not start in Monsaic Lines. A few years after the events of Abe's Oddysee take place, one of the enlightened mudokons studying in Monsaic Lines learns of a plot set up by the Magog Cartel to send in contingents of sligs to decimate and capture the recent influx of mudokons seeking empowerment in Monsaic Lines, you realise that you must bring the old protectors of Monsaic Lines, the Paramite and Scrab, back to the entrances of the Monsaic, then you must shut the massive gates to stop the sligs entering. Hmm, it seems a bit shit after I've said it now but I think something roughly like that would give you the availability to expand no only upon ML but SA and PA as well, since we see very little of native environments.

03-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Dynamithix
Wolvark Grenadier

: Aug 2010
: Finland
: 4,794
Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)

I don't have an idea just now, but I wanted to tell you that your earlier custom maps are amazing. :P
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
BlackVenom
Boombat

:
Ok BV,

How about this rather than start in the same old industrial setting, get to the boiler and blow the place up. Why not start in Monsaic Lines. A few years after the events of Abe's Oddysee take place, one of the enlightened mudokons studying in Monsaic Lines learns of a plot set up by the Magog Cartel to send in contingents of sligs to decimate and capture the recent influx of mudokons seeking empowerment in Monsaic Lines, you realise that you must bring the old protectors of Monsaic Lines, the Paramite and Scrab, back to the entrances of the Monsaic, then you must shut the massive gates to stop the sligs entering. Hmm, it seems a bit shit after I've said it now but I think something roughly like that would give you the availability to expand no only upon ML but SA and PA as well, since we see very little of native environments.
That's a pretty impressive story there, although, I am trying to focus on a more industrial setting. Seeing as I'm not so good with designing more natural ones. Plus I also have a better workflow when dealing with industrialized environments. I may consider this idea though!

:
I don't have an idea just now, but I wanted to tell you that your earlier custom maps are amazing. :P
hah, thanks! xD

03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
FractalXX
Zappfly

: Feb 2011
: Hungary
: 5
FractalXX  (10)

I was thinking of It, while i was in school:

Abe "is in prison" (not locked, but in problem). The Glukkons caught him, and He is working in a Factory now, and waiting for his execution (by Glukkons), because his past. But a problem happened to the factory, and the most of the sligs had to go outdoors, to improve the security there. Now the indoors security is really weak, so Abe, and his cell partners (3 muds, Abe only have to save them) can escape from their cell (still under security, but not big). Abe still have to save Mudokons from the Factory, because the Mudokon Pop production begins again. Lot of the mudokons are all in cells, not working, but the other half of them is working, so cell-saving would be very challenging, because of the security. At the End, Abe must speedrun, too. There will be HORDES of Sligs, Slogs, and other creatures in the end. At the last two scene, Abe finds the biggest cell (in fact, the Mudokon Pop Maker) with 30 Mudokons in it (first scene is the security, second the cell). Abe does not have a lot of time, to save his brothers.. But the machine is guarded, and Abe must possess a sniper Slig (background). With that slig, Abe can kill some of them, not all because some guard is in covered from the background. To kill them, you must get Shrykull. It's your decision BlackVenom (if you choose my idea), how to get the Shrykull.

Sorry for some English fails (still learning English).

Hope, It is a good idea.
03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
BlackVenom
Boombat

:
I was thinking of It, while i was in school:

Abe "is in prison" (not locked, but in problem). The Glukkons caught him, and He is working in a Factory now, and waiting for his execution (by Glukkons), because his past. But a problem happened to the factory, and the most of the sligs had to go outdoors, to improve the security there. Now the indoors security is really weak, so Abe, and his cell partners (3 muds, Abe only have to save them) can escape from their cell (still under security, but not big). Abe still have to save Mudokons from the Factory, because the Mudokon Pop production begins again. Lot of the mudokons are all in cells, not working, but the other half of them is working, so cell-saving would be very challenging, because of the security. At the End, Abe must speedrun, too. There will be HORDES of Sligs, Slogs, and other creatures in the end. At the last two scene, Abe finds the biggest cell (in fact, the Mudokon Pop Maker) with 30 Mudokons in it (first scene is the security, second the cell). Abe does not have a lot of time, to save his brothers.. But the machine is guarded, and Abe must possess a sniper Slig (background). With that slig, Abe can kill some of them, not all because some guard is in covered from the background. To kill them, you must get Shrykull. It's your decision BlackVenom (if you choose my idea), how to get the Shrykull.

Sorry for some English fails (still learning English).

Hope, It is a good idea.
This sounds pretty good too, although, it sounds a bit short too. probably something that would only last about 30 minutes at most. I like the idea of abe being captured, but I think the Glukkons wouldn't take any chances and would of put a bullet in abe's head while he was unconscious, just my opinion here... xD

03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Steamer_KING
Outlaw Cutter

: Portugal
: 1,204
Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)

Black Venom, why not start making something like episodes from Oddworld? It maybe easier to do, easier to keep track of the stories, maybe one episode introducing Alf, before he met Abe or something like that. Try making small things now, and then, when you have a lot experience with the small stories, you could make a prequel or non-cannon sequel or something. Also, i you want help with the Backgrounds, industrial or not, I might help. Can't say I'll be available 24/7, but I'll be there.

03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
BlackVenom
Boombat

:
Black Venom, why not start making something like episodes from Oddworld? It maybe easier to do, easier to keep track of the stories, maybe one episode introducing Alf, before he met Abe or something like that. Try making small things now, and then, when you have a lot experience with the small stories, you could make a prequel or non-cannon sequel or something. Also, i you want help with the Backgrounds, industrial or not, I might help. Can't say I'll be available 24/7, but I'll be there.
Sounds like a good idea actually, and about the assistance. That might not work out because we most likely would have different art styles and it just might now work or blend well together to form a single environment style.

03-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Steamer_KING
Outlaw Cutter

: Portugal
: 1,204
Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)Steamer_KING  (637)

Ok, but consider a plot with a forest setting. That would, mostly, be normal in a short plot, since we're talking about Mudos.

03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
ledsnipe
Stingbee

: Aug 2010
: Melbourne
: 83
ledsnipe  (8)

How about the glukkons find a sacred lake that the one of the last native mudoken city's use. And the glukkens fill it with all of there pollution and Abe has to destroy the facility and its sponsors to save all the mudoken from thirst or water poisoning.
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Never Sleeper
Fuzzle

: Oct 2007
: Germany
: 115
Never Sleeper  (17)

Well in my opinion it would be a better idea to go away with "Abe"-Sequels and just intodruce a new Mudokon-Character in a far different place. Maybe the new character has heard about Abes achievments and also trys to rescue his buddys. It would make more sense 'cause fanbase-sequals disturbs much time the original intended story of the game-series.
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
BlackVenom
Boombat

:
Well in my opinion it would be a better idea to go away with "Abe"-Sequels and just intodruce a new Mudokon-Character in a far different place. Maybe the new character has heard about Abes achievments and also trys to rescue his buddys. It would make more sense 'cause fanbase-sequals disturbs much time the original intended story of the game-series.
Not a bad idea, Although people would still think it's abe. I know I would. xD