Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Pinstripe
Zappfly

: Jan 2009
: Euphoria
: 16
Pinstripe  (10)

A 2D-style Abe game in full 3D. Like Trine.
12-15-2010, 12:57 AM
marlz
Boombat

: Jun 2008
: australia
: 218
marlz  (14)

I know I said it in the thread similar to this one but I'll say it again:

Bring back the Shrykull for Munch's Exoddus! Also, it was said that Abe would find his long lost mother, the Mudokon Queen Sam, so we have a main plot to go with too. And what of the Gabbit eggs? Munch will have his hands a tad full, so how will this affect the fight against the Industrialists?

Oh! And speaking of Industrialists... the return of enemy GameSpeak?

12-22-2010, 09:11 AM
ELD3RGoD
Zappfly

: Dec 2010
: United Kingdom
: 1
ELD3RGoD  (10)
Happy

Seriously, there are so many things I would love to see in any possible new Oddworld game.

Firstly, I want to see Oddworld for what it is! Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus did this really well with the backgrounds for the screens on the levels you played, even the actual level design itself helped to show the environments Abe was traversing. We saw the harsh deserts of Scrabania (and the cool, dusty temples hidden deep in the sands.) We saw the jungle/forest environment of Paramonia (and the dark, web-ridden temples) We have seen some of the money-driven industrialised factories and workplaces like Rupture Farms and Soulstorm and the Burial grounds of Necrum and for what they delivered it was (and still is) amazing.

But now we have entered the time of 3D and 2.5D graphics I wondered how they could deliver unto us something with the true feel of Oddworld that I would recognise due to Munch and Stranger feeling a little short and I can only imagine 3 ways of doing this.

2.5D platform adventure:

Firstly, the obvious choice and the choice the made many of us prefer AO and AE to the follow-ups that were MO and SW. A 2.5D adventure, following Abe would probably be the decision that would call the Oddworld fans back and bring new fans to the crowd (Abe is so damn likeable) but with the possible options of new friendly characters that would help Abe in sections (AKA The albino Slig or Bigface.) I believe this would be the best decision.

3D RPG:

The most daring and costly choice and a personal favourite, I couldn't imagine the rewards that would be reaped from a massive world, similar to The Elder Scrolls or Fallout set in the polluted, industrial, money driven environment of Oddworld with the possibility of Missions or Story events taking the player to Deserts, Jungles, Seas or more. This idea would be crazy BUT I don't feel a levelling system would work right. I think, depending on the race chosen, powers or skills would need to be levelled up through use rather than the character him or herself. Also, races would need to be carefully decided upon (Glukkons and so on) but a good and evil system could easily be added.

Strategy:

As a fan of strategy games and after hearing about "Hand of Odd" I was rather excited, the potential is there and the two factions were well thought out, I would just love to see this, but perhaps after a few titles were delivered. If anyone ever played KKND or KKND2: Krossfire, you'd know what I mean when I think this would feel similar, but better than those titles.

That's my opinion out there So happy they finally released the Oddboxx to PC, been playing AO and AE for many, many years and I'm so glad they are back!!
12-29-2010, 02:13 AM
ODDWORLDisTHEbest!
Sleg

: Jan 2010
: LOOK AT MAC SIRLOINS NOSE!
: 694
ODDWORLDisTHEbest!  (-80)

:
Munch and Stranger feeling a little short.
the obvious choice and the choice the made many of us prefer AO and AE to the follow-ups that were MO and SW.
i agree with everything you've just said, but i hate how younger people will never get to experience oddwold at its peak (its peak of course being AO and AE), and they love MO instead, but now that 2d games are coming back in, i think oddworld has a chance of getting back up on its feat, because i didnt like the previous two games, like ELD3RGoD said, they dont have the oddworld feel, like the backround of the screen where you escape soulstorm mines? brilliant! i just hope they can go back to that.
12-29-2010, 08:41 AM
leocrow
Fuzzle

: Aug 2005
: Ioannina, Greece
: 141
leocrow  (36)

:
Seriously, there are so many things I would love to see in any possible new Oddworld game.

Firstly, I want to see Oddworld for what it is! Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus did this really well with the backgrounds for the screens on the levels you played, even the actual level design itself helped to show the environments Abe was traversing. We saw the harsh deserts of Scrabania (and the cool, dusty temples hidden deep in the sands.) We saw the jungle/forest environment of Paramonia (and the dark, web-ridden temples) We have seen some of the money-driven industrialised factories and workplaces like Rupture Farms and Soulstorm and the Burial grounds of Necrum and for what they delivered it was (and still is) amazing.

But now we have entered the time of 3D and 2.5D graphics I wondered how they could deliver unto us something with the true feel of Oddworld that I would recognise due to Munch and Stranger feeling a little short and I can only imagine 3 ways of doing this.

2.5D platform adventure:

Firstly, the obvious choice and the choice the made many of us prefer AO and AE to the follow-ups that were MO and SW. A 2.5D adventure, following Abe would probably be the decision that would call the Oddworld fans back and bring new fans to the crowd (Abe is so damn likeable) but with the possible options of new friendly characters that would help Abe in sections (AKA The albino Slig or Bigface.) I believe this would be the best decision.

3D RPG:

The most daring and costly choice and a personal favourite, I couldn't imagine the rewards that would be reaped from a massive world, similar to The Elder Scrolls or Fallout set in the polluted, industrial, money driven environment of Oddworld with the possibility of Missions or Story events taking the player to Deserts, Jungles, Seas or more. This idea would be crazy BUT I don't feel a levelling system would work right. I think, depending on the race chosen, powers or skills would need to be levelled up through use rather than the character him or herself. Also, races would need to be carefully decided upon (Glukkons and so on) but a good and evil system could easily be added.

Strategy:

As a fan of strategy games and after hearing about "Hand of Odd" I was rather excited, the potential is there and the two factions were well thought out, I would just love to see this, but perhaps after a few titles were delivered. If anyone ever played KKND or KKND2: Krossfire, you'd know what I mean when I think this would feel similar, but better than those titles.

That's my opinion out there So happy they finally released the Oddboxx to PC, been playing AO and AE for many, many years and I'm so glad they are back!!

First of all, welcome to the forums. That's a great first post. Just some comments on it.

2.5D platform adventure:
Well, it might be the best for a start, untill they have enough budget and experience to do the games the justice they deserve.

3D RPG:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I hate RPG:P
Seriously though, that would be directed at a very different audience than the regular oddworld gamers. It's a riske move, in a market controlled by brizzard and others. Ofcourse, since i don't know much about rpg games, i don't know whether my opinion has any validity on the matter.

Strategy:
It would have to have a very strong concept but since they did plan for "Hand of Odd", i guess they do have one. It would be strange at first but it would also be interesting