Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner > Non-Oddworld Art & Literature

09-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)
Entoidia- inspired by Stranger

I have two series so far that I want to do a western theme for- The Jurassic Period (Shelved for now, but in a constant state of revision), a dinosaur-themed comic set in the Late Jurassic, and Entoidia.

Whereas The Jurassic Period takes place long before human life as we know it, Entoidia takes place far into the future on a post-human Earth. The continents have all shifted back into each other to form the theoretical land mass known as NeoPangea.

Earth has been through many changes since Mankind's extinction/exodus, not all of them entirely natural (though, due to the way Earth was left and how it adapted, the line between a natural event and an unnatural one seems to have blurred somewhat). Some of these changes helped to sculpt the main characters of this brave new world. In our absence, and through several extinctions, many of the more complex species of animals have gone extinct.

Arthropods, though, proved to have an uncanny ability to adapt. True, many arthropod species died out at various points in history, but the ones who remained were able to stretch their evolutionary branches. So, evolve they did, and with influences from Earth's new, less than familiar nature, some gained self-awareness, why not? And through this process, the arthropods developed more humanlike intelligence and complex societies...

Which brings us to the beginning of our story- the Western theme. Much of Pangaea Ultima is unexplored, whether due to its vast expanse or the land being guarded by the untamed wilderness or its inhabitants, both sentient and not, but the more advanced societies march ever onward with reckless abandon. But societies like these often require protection, whether it be for individuals or for entire towns. Especially when your attacker is a 10 foot tall crustacean bastard with a huge gun and a posse with guns of their own.

But who will defend these people from the lawlessness and greed that plagues their beloved lichen-covered plains? Will a hero rise to the challenge? Perhaps three heroes?

Well, if your check don't bounce, then sure.

And that, friends, is a post for another time. Consider this a placeholder for now, since I don't have much art to show for this series yet.

Here's what I do have:

I suck at landscapes.

As the title says, this series is inspired by Stranger. Not the game, but the character. When art for Stranger was released, I was disappointed. I've always been a huge fan of Farzad's work and when they got rid of him, it felt like part of Oddworld had been lost. We could have gotten something that looked and felt like Oddworld, but instead, we got chicken people, various amphibian people and a mutant, furry version of Clint Eastwood. Although I've since gotten used to it, at the time I was a little disappointed, so I designed my own version of what I thought Stranger should look like.

I loved the design that came from that so much that I created this series around it.

Last edited by Dipstikk; 09-06-2010 at 09:55 AM..
09-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Dynamithix
Wolvark Grenadier

: Aug 2010
: Finland
: 4,794
Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)Dynamithix  (3134)

Amazing! And that landscape doesn't suck, in fact, looks very nice.
09-07-2010, 04:25 AM
AvengingGibbons
Sewer Sleg

: Apr 2010
: England
: 737
AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)

Do you like Pixar's 'A Bug's Life'?

PS. I like ur drawings, ur good nicely creative!
09-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Fartuess
Howler Punk

: Jun 2009
: Poland
: 338
Fartuess  (41)

i like design of that guy from second image