Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

12-19-2001, 12:47 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)
I just got Jak And Daxter!

Yep i just got it and can't wait until christmas when i get to play it!

Yes i know that it is probably a typical platformer game, but i have also loved the work that Naughty Dog has produced.

But its also 2nd to Oddworld!
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-19-2001, 12:51 AM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

: Dec 2001
: Austin, TX
: 171
The Magog On The March  (10)

Eh.. I really didn't like that game. I bought it, beat it WITH all 100 power orbs (the "120 stars" of this game) after 3 days, and I didn't even play it very much, and it's not really "unique" enough to really wanna play it again . I traded it in for 22 bucks and used a little more cash to get the much better (in my own opinon) Frequency, which I find really awesome .
Max:Facilities be damned! I need a restroom!
"A) The below statement is FALSE
B) The above statement is TRUE"

12-19-2001, 01:25 AM
Eibu
Howler Punk

: Mesa, Arizona
: 306
Eibu  (10)

:
Originally posted by Alcar:
Yes i know that it is probably a typical platformer game, but i have also loved the work that Naughty Dog has produced.
You've seen my posts right?

:
Originally posted by The Magog On The March:
Eh.. I really didn't like that game. I bought it, beat it WITH all 100 power orbs (the "120 stars" of this game) after 3 days
You might have made a mistake or remembered wrong but there are 101 orbs in the game, just being a stickler. Too each his own. I find the game very fun. Some people won't...

12-19-2001, 01:33 AM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

101? Whaaaa? Either there's a glitch or a secret, but when you look at the screen it says "(blank)/100 orbs", plus when I beat every objective on every level, I only had 100, and I still opened the BIG DOOR (whoo, what a reward for getting 100 orbs.. bright liiiight..) which you need all the orbs for.

12-19-2001, 12:36 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

It is true you only need 100 to open that door but there are 101 Power Cells. I have a perfect save file in English 100% with all 101 Power Cells and every Precursor Orb.

Since I have everything and I enjoy the game so much I'm going back and playing it in the different languages. Right now I'm about 50% in French.

And there is no screen that shows you how many Power Cells/how many total the only screens that show that are for Precursor Orbs and Scout Flys.

Hopefully I can make a quick polaroid and scan it to show you.

12-19-2001, 01:01 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

Eibu demonstrates his superior camerawork/scanning skillz (notice the sarcasm)

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: Eibu ]

12-19-2001, 09:06 PM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

2 things:
I never knew there was a 101st orb.. yeash, where'd ya find it?
Ah, but who cares about 1 orb, it's not like I'm gonna really spend another week endlessly searching for it.
Oh yeah, the other thing is.. i can't see that picture, my computer can't handle these fancy shmancy things like "downloading" or "opening files" or "running without shutting down for no reason" stupid computer.

12-20-2001, 01:42 AM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Apr 2001
: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

Game rules - I'm playing it now.

12-20-2001, 02:36 AM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

No it's not you, for some reason my host only supports posting my images for a few hours, guess you weren't in early enough so here is the direct url
Crappy Picture of 101 orbs
IT DOESN'T WORK EITHER!! SCREW YOU FREEHOMEPAGES!!!! Well I guess you believe me so it's alright. No big deal

sorry about the quality, my mom accidently opened up the film door and exposed some of the film and ruined a lot of it...if I can send a better picture at a later date (if anyone cares) I will...

12-20-2001, 02:38 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

It isn't working still
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-20-2001, 02:38 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2000
: upside down in a toilet bowl
: 1,552
One, Two, Middlesboogie  (10)

I haven't got it yet (I was planning to ask for it for Christmas, but never got round to it and now it's too late), but I do have a demo of it, and I think it's an excellent game! The visuals are just superb, and there's so much to do! The demo times out after 10 minutes, but if it didn't I'd probably play it for five hours solid!

12-22-2001, 03:36 AM
abe22
Sleg

: May 2001
: South/Eastern Victoria, Australia
: 680
abe22  (10)

I have not got it but it does look very good from what I have seen to bad it is only for PS2.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -- Jack Handy
That stuff only happens in the movies. -- Famous Last Words

12-24-2001, 08:44 PM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

:
Originally posted by Eibu:
No it's not you, for some reason my host only supports posting my images for a few hours, guess you weren't in early enough so here is the direct url
Crappy Picture of 101 orbs
IT DOESN'T WORK EITHER!! SCREW YOU FREEHOMEPAGES!!!! Well I guess you believe me so it's alright. No big deal

sorry about the quality, my mom accidently opened up the film door and exposed some of the film and ruined a lot of it...if I can send a better picture at a later date (if anyone cares) I will...

Hm.. yeah, that doesn't seem to work for me either. It says something about it being illegal or some nonesense like that. oh well. I believe ya.

01-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Grid
Stingbee

: Goulburn, NSW, Australia
: 86
Grid  (23)

I've read in a few places its possible to get 101% and a third ending, possibly via a secret level. In the Crash Bandicoot games, secret levels were achieved very randomly, eg, to go to one particular level you had to crash (no pun intended) into a certain road sign on one of the motorbike levels, in another you had to be killed by a certain enemy.
But I think this is one of the best platformers around.
01-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Grid
Stingbee

: Goulburn, NSW, Australia
: 86
Grid  (23)

Edit: Grrrr double post, sorry.

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Grid ]
01-08-2002, 09:34 PM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

I laugh at you, oh pitiful double posting one! BWAHAHAHHA!
Anywho, I think the premise of 101 orbs is kinda useless... you only need 100 to open the Biiiig spooooky dooor (AAAH! THE LIIIIIGHT!) and achive the really...really stupid "secret ending" (Once again: AAAH! THE LIIIIIGHT!)
Of course this is all coming from the guy who returned FFX for Sim Golf (and DOESNT REGRET IT!)

01-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

Well I enjoy games like FFX mainly for the story, visuals, and music (I bought the Japanes OST weeks before the game, and am listening to it right now), although I quite enjoy the battle and leveling system. I'm a little bias being a Final Fantasy nut **once again points out his CHOCOBO license plate on his car**

As for J&D (too many shots...but this is the wrong topic for that), after playing the demo I just had to have this game. I've got a thing for platformers, they turn me on. I think I've beaten every platformer for PS2, all two of them! THe game is just so pleasing to play from my mind to my hands, and I have to admit there is a cartoony charm to the characters.

After three days and approx. 10 hours of play I got all the orbs and all 101 cells and then went back and started playing it in all the other languages. My true dream is to play it in Japanese, damn you Naughty Dog for not including it in the American release!

*note there is no 101% on J&D, because I would have obtained it!!!

**blasts Suteki Da Ne so his neighbors can hear**

Note: This is just a direct translation.
(My) heart is swimming in words
formed by the wind.
(My) voice carried
by a cloudy tommorrow.
A mirror moved
by the moon, trembled my heart.
Soft tears
filled with a stream of stars.
Isn't it beautiful?
Two of us walking hand in hand.
I want to go to
your town, your home, your arms.
I dream of lying
against your chest.
My body in your clasp,
disappearring into the evening.
Words stopped by the wind
are a gentle illsion.
A cloud-torned tommorrow is
a far-away voice.
My heart has been
in a moon-blocked flowing
mirror.
Stars that swayed and flowed
can't hide my tears.
Isn't it beautiful?
Two of us walking hand in hand.
I want to go to
your town, your home, your arms.
I dream of your face
that softly melts in the
morning.

[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Eibu ]

01-08-2002, 11:54 PM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

Eh, after buying FFX (then returning it for SIM GOLF! I love me sim games!) I still wasn't impressed; while the voice actors were okay, they were still nothing special. While I've heard people argue about "What are they gonna do, get Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman to voice the characters", look at SSX Tricky, they have David Arquette, Lucy Liu, even Macy Gray! The graphics were pretty good, but I still thought the "facial expressions" were VERY bland.
"I wondered why she smiled at me"
"You call THAT a smile?!" Through half the game they look they're smirking.. The battle system is pretty good, and the sphere system is actually pretty cool, even though it kind of ruins character disparity near the end. The story line is still pretty typical "kill big bad guy" type, but I've come to expect that over the years (Can there ever be a final fantasy where the final boss WONT Bring across the destruction of the universe?) The chocobo's don't wark! NOOOOO!
All in all, FF7 will always hold a special place in my heart against all other one's (going from playing Super Mario World on the SNES to FF7 is quite life changing) But I'd take Sim Golf over FFX anyday ( I can't wait to make holes from hell, bwahhahaha!)

01-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

hmm, I know the Japanese promo commercials made a big deal about "facial motion" but I don't think it ruined the game or anything.

BTW the voice actors are pretty prestigious. I recognize many of them from other works (like other cartoons) and I know Tidus's voice is done by the same guy that does Fry from Futurama.

Doesn't sound like you played it much. The voices grow on you from time to time. Maybe you would have liked their Japanese voices (although I doubt it). Tidus and Yuna's seiyuu (voice actors) sound more natural, and they change the personality of some of the characters quite a bit.

The Jap voice of Auron is more "badass" than the "wise" sounding English. Wakka sounds more like a goofball than an islander, although I couldn't imagine a Japanese-Jamaican. Lulu sounds pretty much the same actually.

Now that you mention it no the Chocobos never did have a text that said "wark". Hmm. Well they don't "wark" in Japanese, they "kyueh" anyhoo, but that's beside the point.

01-09-2002, 12:59 AM
The Magog On The March
Thudslug

They said wark in my english version !(excuuuuse me for not having your fancy shmancy japanese version.. it'd all be gibberish to me, anywho) I always loved that chocobo race music too from FF7.. hell, I loved almost all the music from FF7. Eh, I got used to the voice acting, but they still couid've made it better.. or at least the characters less generic (Why must all games have the typical "badass" character? Yes, I'm talking about Auron... and I thought Wakka's was actually pretty good, but sometimes Yuna's voice acting was a little.. eeh.. "AH HA HA HA HA HA HA!" as I quote from one part)

01-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

My bad, I didn't mean to sound attacking. I actually don't have the Japanese version, just have a lot of media on it. And you are also correct, throughout every English release of FF the Chocobo's say "Wark", I was just bringing attention that they say "Kweh" in Japanese. Plus if they subtitled the animals in FFX in might seem a little to strange, even for this game...