04-29-2001, 09:27 AM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)
firewalls

I´m behind a firewall( www.ZoneAlarm.com) I always thought you can´t be seen if you are behind one. But when I go to the forums it sees me! On the bottom stands always "Hello,freakyLA". So I can be seen! Just once when I went to the forums this wasn´t there and I had to login. So if you once login with your firewall you can be seen or what?

04-29-2001, 10:09 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

: Australia
: 329
LuxoJr  (10)

Heh - just one step away from governments with cameras in public toilets.
04-29-2001, 10:57 PM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

Yep, Im behind 2 and this damn thing sees me.

04-30-2001, 01:35 AM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

: Tacoma, WA
: 456
Osiris The Fleech  (12)

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!! I SAW A CAMERA IN MY HOUSE YESTERDAY!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Zorak: You don't want me to play ya to the desk?

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

04-30-2001, 02:41 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

The welcome message that you see in the forums "i.e. Hello, Abe Babe" is generated by cookies that the forums leave in your browser. Which simply means it remembers who you are so that you don't have to keep logging on every time you visit.

If you want, you can click the log out link so that next time you visit you need to log in.

You can also turn cookies off in your browser, but this usually isn't recommended as many sites use them.

As for a firewall, a firewall is actually a network protection used by companies and the like. It enables the company to have control over what kind of web content users can view (i.e. a company may decide to block the use of voice chat software or real audio files). On the other hand it also prevents outside people from getting into the or viewing the network... by that especially hackers.

The site you refer to looks to be some kind of "personal firewall" software. I haven't had any experience in this area, but it seems like it works in exactly the same way, but to a smaller scale.

The way the forum works has nothing to do with the operation of a firewall, it is simply based on your login name to the forums.

Abe Babe...

[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: Abe Babe ]

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-30-2001, 04:09 AM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

freakyLA  (11)

So I can be seen on other sites. Waaaaaaaaa!!! Microsoft can take a look at my hard drive!!! Help! Help!

04-30-2001, 08:38 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

:
Originally posted by freakyLA:
So I can be seen on other sites. Waaaaaaaaa!!! Microsoft can take a look at my hard drive!!! Help! Help!
No... that's not what I said. I said the forums use a different means of remembering you. It is just so that you don't have to keep signing into the forums. Us or Microsoft or anyone can't look at your PC. Well maybe a very advanced hacker... but that is very unlikely as they'd have bigger targets than a induvidual's PC.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

04-30-2001, 10:05 AM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

Also, I have an IP address blocker, but it says I am "logged" on there.

04-30-2001, 12:10 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

freakyLA  (11)

Oh! that´s good Microsoft can´t take take a look at my Pc. Sorry I misunderstood you. Can you give me the url of the translation site again( You used it for the german ff page)

04-30-2001, 12:12 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

freakyLA  (11)

What did you say Luxo?! In puplic toillets?!Well I heard that there are some in the toilletes on airports...

04-30-2001, 04:51 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

Dakkan... everyone has a IP address... however, if we were to check your "logged" IP address we would get the IP address of your blocker service, not your induvidual IP address. I had a few problems on another forum I used to run and I needed to check the IP address of a troublesome user. In their case they were using one of these blocker services as that was what came up when I checked the IP.

FreakyLA... the address is http://babelfish.altavista.com (I think that's correct... I can check if it's wrong).

Abe Babe...