4mrleesssssill
Chippunk

: Jan 2008
: UK
: 26
4mrleesssssill  (6)
Oddworld Ports!

Would they port Oddworld already?!

So, first two games were on the Playstation, second two on the XBox.

Its really the XBox games I'd like to see ported, basically for the completely selfish reason that THERE IS NO WAY I'M BUYING AN XBOX FOR TWO GAMES! (and for XBox fans, yes, I'm sure there are other games worthwhile, but I'm more then content with other consoles for my non-oddworld needs, thank you very much).

Anyways, I suppose we're talking Current-Gen machines right now, which is basically the PS3, XBox360, and the Wii. Porting them onto the 360 would be silly, especially seeing as one of the two games is already backwards compatible with the 360.

The PS3? Well, they were bound for the PS2 in the first place, but the PS2 is starting to come to its end, OWI isn't going to grab the attention of anyone by keeping it there. But PS3 fans have much greater expectation then fans of other consoles- the PS3 is capable of the best graphics, and PS3 owners spent alot more money on there machine. Straight ports would get you no where, and its too early for full-blown remakes.

Now, the Wii- this is where I think SW and MO should be heading towards. The Wii, great as it is, doesn’t have the horsepower of the other two consoles, so no-one is going to particularly mind if MO and SW retain their XBox era graphics. As well as this, the Wii has an entirely new audience then what Sony and Microsoft have captured, which would help draw in new fans to the series. As well as that, the Wii is easily the hot console at the moment- its selling like hot cakes, and if more people have it, then its more people likely to buy a game for it. As for the controller, there are little places where it could fit in, it doesn’t have to be modelled around the controls (look at Zelda, where the motion controls were minimal but undeniably effective).

Anyway, that’s enough from me, what do you guys think?
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

The Wii doesn't have the power to pull off Xbox graphics.

In any case, what would be the point? It would cost a huge amount of money to port the games and no publisher is going to front that money for games that didn't sell well in the first place. The games industry is based on immediate hits; games have only a few weeks of promotion in which they must sell as well as possible; after that they're consigned to the bargain bin. No-one's going to go out and buy an old game just because it's been ported.

02-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

XBoxes are dirt cheap now, you have no financial reason not to acquire one if you're that desperate.

No one is going to fund new ports of old, and relatively unsuccessful, games. EA cancelled the PS2 port of Stranger's Wrath before the game was even out on XBox.

02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
4mrleesssssill
Chippunk

4mrleesssssill  (6)

:
The Wii doesn't have the power to pull off Xbox graphics.
Yes, it does. Look at Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Currption ect. Both better then top-range XBox titles. And, besides, its not as if Muches Oddesy even pushed the XBox perticually far, did it. The Wii should easily be able to handle both games, no problem.

:
No-one's going to go out and buy an old game just because it's been ported.
Ah, but thats the beauty of it, isn't it? The Wii fan-base is made up of primarally casual gamers, which means they wouldn't know that its an old game. They see an origanal title such as the Oddworld games, maybe with a few Review Scores slapped on the front and £5 cheaper then the other games, and they'll be lapping it up. It would certainly give MU another chance.

:
XBoxes are dirt cheap now, you have no financial reason not to acquire one if you're that desperate.
Oh come on, a second hand XBox and two games is still going to cost almost £100! I don't even have a job! And I'm certainly not desperate, but I would just as certainly like to play these games without buying an unnessicary console.

Look, okay, so it'll never happen. It could be benifical to both the consumer and OWI, but OWI has moved on and we'll probally never see the titles on any new console, but play along. Which console would you like to see a Oddworld Port on?

Hell, I'd even love a HD version of the Playstation games- make it an XBLA titles, and it'd be brilliant!
02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

: Jan 2005
: Sydney
: 1,631
mudling  (123)mudling  (123)

Wait, which oddworld games can you play on the 360?
Oh, and a port for the AE and AO games to the PSP (has already been done illigealy) would be awesome. But I doupt it's gonna happen.
The others deffinatly won't happen, sorry.
Plus, it's the last generation games, ok, Halo 2 got ported, but that was an exception, and it still copped no where near to the latest games.

02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Wings of Fire
Beautiful Bastard

: Dec 2007
: Stafford
: 9,537
Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)

MO can be played on the 360 but unfortunately not Strangers Wrath and according to Xav probably never.
“I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics,” Snyder said, a statement he immediately followed by saying, “Also, ‘It looks like a video game.’

02-01-2008, 01:24 PM
AlienMagi
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2007
: In the dark
: 830
AlienMagi  (118)AlienMagi  (118)

I agree this sucks ass!!
All oddworld gamez should be made for PC, PS and X-box.
This is my problem. I have PC and PS3, but I cant play MO and SW because of this crap (sorry for that word)
Anyway I heard there is a new oddworld game maybe coming out (it's not sure yet)
It's name is Tha hand of Odd. I hope it will be avalible to play it on all 3 'machines'.
(Especially on PC!)

AlienMagi
02-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
Anyway I heard there is a new oddworld game maybe coming out (it's not sure yet)
It's name is Tha hand of Odd.
Oddworld: The Hand of Odd was shelved eight years ago. It’s not new and forthcoming, it’s almost a decade since it was aborted.

OWI were thinking of having Abe’s Oddysee and Exoddus ported to current handheld platforms, and that would be their best bet financially and sales‐wise. But ported to the meatier current gen consoles? Just no. I’m a thoroughly dedicated fan and I would have no interest in buying them. If a game misses that market, well, it’s a no brainer.

Just buy a cheap Xbox. It’s what I’m doing (as soon as I get some money).

02-01-2008, 01:46 PM
AlienMagi
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2007
: In the dark
: 830
AlienMagi  (118)AlienMagi  (118)

:
Oddworld: The Hand of Odd was shelved eight years ago. It’s not new and forthcoming, it’s almost a decade since it was aborted.
Damn... I must read something very wrong...
Anyway sorry for that.
02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

:
Oh come on, a second hand XBox and two games is still going to cost almost £100!
You need to find some better retailers. One who actually has the compunction to shift old consoles.

02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

:
OWI were thinking of having Abe’s Oddysee and Exoddus ported to current handheld platforms, and that would be their best bet financially and sales‐wise. But ported to the meatier current gen consoles? Just no. I’m a thoroughly dedicated fan and I would have no interest in buying them. If a game misses that market, well, it’s a no brainer.
Holy crap! Oddworld on PSP was my wet dream when I heard the first rumours of the PSP ever existing. If they're released on it I might have reason to buy one.

02-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

There is a way to do it yourself illegally, but it requires a PS3 in the process.

02-01-2008, 11:41 PM
4mrleesssssill
Chippunk

4mrleesssssill  (6)

:
I agree this sucks ass!!
All oddworld gamez should be made for PC, PS and X-box.
This is my problem. I have PC and PS3, but I cant play MO and SW because of this crap (sorry for that word)
Ahh, the PC, that's one that I forgot. Now, I don't know the details, but wouldn't it be easier to port a XBox game to the PC, then to, say, the PS3/Wii? Dosn't the XBox share certain things with the PC in terms of Hardware and Software?

And, plus, the PC has another huge plus- Steam. It means that OWI (or a third party developer) could quickly knock together a PC port of MU/SW based of the code from the XBox versions, and they wouldn't even have to spend alot of money on retail costs. Sound like a win-win to me.

:
I’m a thoroughly dedicated fan and I would have no interest in buying them. If a game misses that market, well, it’s a no brainer.
I dunno, being a dedicated fan would be part of the reason you're not interested, surely. Porting these games would reach an new auidiance, ones who have never heard of Oddworld before, but might become interested in it.
02-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

:
Oh come on, a second hand XBox and two games is still going to cost almost £100!
I'll tell you that there are pleanty of shops in England that sell preowned Xboxes pluss games for about £40.

And the reason I bought my Xbox was for Munches Oddysee (A Brand New Xbox well over £300.) So whereas you may think there is little reason for buying an Xbox just for two games, you find other games you'd like. You're actually in luck. All the Xbox games are cheap now. They were about £40 a game then...

Last edited by Fuzzle Guy; 02-02-2008 at 01:34 AM..
02-03-2008, 02:45 AM
4mrleesssssill
Chippunk

4mrleesssssill  (6)

So, does anyone know just how easy it is to port an XBox game to a PC? Surley it can't be that hard. And if the game were distributed via Steam...

It would be so easy for OWI to hire a cheap, talented third party team to quickly put together a PC port of the games, and then to sell it for, say, £20 on Steam.

It makes sense- its a cheap and quick way of giving Muches Oddysee another chance to do well.

Anyway, I am considering buying an XBox- probally not for a few months, budget is tight atm, but maybe in the future.
02-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Psychonaut
Fuzzle

: Nov 2006
: Slovakia
: 110
Psychonaut  (10)
XBOX ports

I am not sure that it is not so hard to port a game from Xbox.. Games from PS2 can be played (even metal Gear Solid 3) but I know only about 2 emulators of XBOX..It is CxbX and Xeon...But only one game is supported now, and it is Halo, which was long time ago allready ported to PC. So you MUST buy Xbox to play Munch. I also will buy Xbox 360 . But there is another thing you should know now. When you have X360 then you MUST install an update to Xbox 360 (pure Microsoft ;p)

here is the link to the update with instructions

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...patibility.htm
02-03-2008, 06:27 AM
4mrleesssssill
Chippunk

4mrleesssssill  (6)

:
I am not sure that it is not so hard to port a game from Xbox.. Games from PS2 can be played (even metal Gear Solid 3) but I know only about 2 emulators of XBOX..It is CxbX and Xeon...But only one game is supported now, and it is Halo, which was long time ago allready ported to PC. So you MUST buy Xbox to play Munch. I also will buy Xbox 360 . But there is another thing you should know now. When you have X360 then you MUST install an update to Xbox 360 (pure Microsoft ;p)

here is the link to the update with instructions

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...patibility.htm
No, I don't mean as an emulator- on most foums you're not even allowed to talk about them, and especally not link to them. They are illigal and should be discouraged.

I was wondering, purley out of interest, how easy it would be for the game to be commecally ported- I ask because I would imagine that it is easier to port from XBox to PC as opposed to, say, XBox to Playstation, but I don't know the full truth of this.

I did consider emulation for awhile, but decided that it would be pretty wrong to do so. Plus, I found out that it was impossible to emulate XBox games, so that may have had somthing to do with it.

I guess buying an XBox is the only option if you want to play these games.
02-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

It's slightly easier to port from an Xbox to PC than a PS2 to a PC because they have similar architectures. That said, it is still a job that would take a group of developers several months to do.

02-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

: Jun 2007
: MilkyWay
: 1,535
Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)Paul  (718)

:
So, does anyone know just how easy it is to port an XBox game to a PC? Surley it can't be that hard. And if the game were distributed via Steam...

It would be so easy for OWI to hire a cheap, talented third party team to quickly put together a PC port of the games, and then to sell it for, say, £20 on Steam.

It makes sense- its a cheap and quick way of giving Muches Oddysee another chance to do well.

Anyway, I am considering buying an XBox- probally not for a few months, budget is tight atm, but maybe in the future.
You need to wake up and smell the cheese here pal, doing something like that would easily rake the cost up to about £300,000~ish, so there is no way thats going to happen, its too much of a risk.

Crawling sligs will shout "Mommy!" while running around and then the slig mommy will appear and help them put their pants on.

02-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Psychonaut
Fuzzle

Psychonaut  (10)

:
No, I don't mean as an emulator- on most foums you're not even allowed to talk about them, and especally not link to them. They are illigal and should be discouraged.

I was wondering, purley out of interest, how easy it would be for the game to be commecally ported- I ask because I would imagine that it is easier to port from XBox to PC as opposed to, say, XBox to Playstation, but I don't know the full truth of this.

I did consider emulation for awhile, but decided that it would be pretty wrong to do so. Plus, I found out that it was impossible to emulate XBox games, so that may have had somthing to do with it.

I guess buying an XBox is the only option if you want to play these games.
That link leads not to an emulator, but to a LEGAL update that was done by Microsoft, to preserve a backward compatibility of X360 with games from old Xbox. And Munch is one of the games that NEEDS this update!! If you have this than you can play Munch on your X360...
02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

:
That link leads not to an emulator, but to a LEGAL update that was done by Microsoft, to preserve a backward compatibility of X360 with games from old Xbox. And Munch is one of the games that NEEDS this update!! If you have this than you can play Munch on your X360...
You mean one of many patches by microsoft so that their out of the box compatablity works properly?

Crawling sligs will shout "Mommy!" while running around and then the slig mommy will appear and help them put their pants on.

02-04-2008, 11:18 AM
4mrleesssssill
Chippunk

4mrleesssssill  (6)

:
You need to wake up and smell the cheese here pal, doing something like that would easily rake the cost up to about £300,000~ish, so there is no way thats going to happen, its too much of a risk.
I don't know how accurate these figures are, but I do know that creating a game from scratch these days easily costs MILLIONS. Porting an already made, old XBox game onto a PC service that does not require retail costs should cost a fraction of what it would cost to make a new game. Yes, it is a risk, but making ANY game (or movie, for that matter) is a risk- only somthing like the top 10% of games in the industry at any one time make a profit, which seems like a pretty big risk to me. At least this would be relitivly cheap.

Remember that the XBox was never exacly the most popular of consoles, but the playstation Oddworld games were undoubtable a hit. Does it not make sense that maybe the reason that Munch's Oddysee was not very successful was because of its console of choice? With a relaunch of the game on the PC, I think that Munchs Oddysee could really have a chance.

:
Ah, I do appologise about the link thing. However, CxbX and Xeon are both illigal emulators, so you can see where I made the mistake.
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

:
Holy crap! Oddworld on PSP was my wet dream when I heard the first rumours of the PSP ever existing. If they're released on it I might have reason to buy one.
Abes Oddysee on the PSP - Youtube

Abe's Exoddus on PSP - Youtube

Last edited by Fuzzle Guy; 02-04-2008 at 11:36 AM..
02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Psychonaut
Fuzzle

Psychonaut  (10)
Mad

:
You mean one of many patches by microsoft so that their out of the box compatablity works properly?
Yes that is exactly right!! A patch for X360...;-)
You must install this to X360, otherwise, no Munch....Stranger still doesn't work
02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Paul
Outlaw Sniper

:
Yes that is exactly right!! A patch for X360...;-)
You must install this to X360, otherwise, no Munch....Stranger still doesn't work
As with the way of m$ im sure there will be a patch for that too at some point.

02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

It’s very possible that there won’t be: OddBlog informs.

02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
zimfromBM
Bolamite

: Apr 2007
: aus
: 56
zimfromBM  (152)zimfromBM  (152)

:
Ive had AO and AE on my PSP for like a year, they run like a dream.