07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Jan 2006
: Switzerland
: 2,489
Matriar  (141)Matriar  (141)
I'm gonna make a real comic book

Okay, I thought very long about a job as a cartoonist that I can use my interests of arts and stories as an own business.

I got two different ideas for comics in mind right now. The comic of "The Priestess" (people who watch my Personal artwork thread know her) and a funny panel comic book with pictures as these short gags in my doodles (also in Personal Artwork).

The funny comic would probably be finished sooner than the longer story of Priestess because it "only" shows line art in the panels. Black and white. Kinda like the cartoons of Gary Larson.
The comic about the Priestess will be colored.

However, when I thought about the order of my stuff, I decided to show the serious comic first. Because... well... imagine that:
There's some guy who just bought my funny comic, enjoys it very much and expects that the next one will be a funny comic book, too. And the next comic will be "The Priestess". He turns the pages like:

" Yay! More funny comics! Let's see what ideas she got this time...
*GASP*! I see murdered people!! "

That's why I consider it best to show the serious comic first.
The funny one is more like an amusing break.

I asked the publisher "CARLSEN" for more information and they told me about the most important steps of what I have to do. First of all I have, of course, to make the completed comic, so that I can show them a part of it as a "sample work". If they like the way I can tell stories with pictures and the way I draw them, they'll ask me for a closer look at this project, together with me. And if they're still interested, there is the chance to get an agreement to make it available.

Now I still have to think about the language of it. Originally, it's German (at least, the dialogs for my current sketches of it are) because this is my native language and I don't know everything about English yet.
In the other hand, there are more people who lives in the US and know about my art than in Europe.

CARLSEN said that they would translate it if there are any interests in the foreign countries. But first of all, I have to get some interests in the German-speaking countries what's probably going to be hard. I'm going to need a lot of money for that.

Hm, I also don't know with what language I should make it released first. US is a bigger place than Germany, Switzerland and Austria...
I'll probably need a lot of advertising, heh.

This might sounds weird but could you please tell your friends about me?

Anyway, I have to work for this huge project now. This means, there won't be that many new pictures in my art threads in the meantime. Okay, okay, there haven't been many anyway. So don't call it "luck" but "fate" if you see new pictures in the next days and months.

In the beginning of "The Priestess (Vol.1)" you'll see Mahina, the mother of Kiho (which is gonna be The Priestess), when she kinda couches her daughter concerning her few magical skills. Her husband left her already but you'll see him maybe later again. Then Mahina goes to the forest where she meets Adahy (interesting scene). Later, Kana is born (that's the first and only time you'll see Baby-Kana! ) and Mahina gives her son to his father. Kana grows up, as well as Kiho does, and... I don't want to tell too much. It's just gonna be interesting.
Okay, it sounds like a too short story for you but try to make pictures about it! Then you'll see how much work it is, really!

For those who don't have a glue what the hell I am talking about, please check out my art to know what the characters look like.

Last edited by Matriar; 07-17-2007 at 05:38 PM..
07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Alf Shall Rise
Outlaw Shooter

: Feb 2007
: New Jersey
: 1,438
Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)

Woah...that's...awesome. Two real comics. Heh, I'll tell my friends, but I doubt any of them would buy. They don't understand real art -_-. None of them appreciate art, but hell, I'll be in a rush to buy the comics.

Hmm...don't appreciate art...I shouldn't really consider them as friends. :P
07-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

Thank you!

I just began to sketch the first pages. When I'm finished I have to scan and color them with Photoshop.

You have to expect a long waiting time till it's done... sorry.

07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Arxryl
Outlaw Sniper

: Oct 2006
: You wouldn't believe me.
: 1,559
Arxryl  (10)

Wow! I swear, if I see that comic book in stores, I'll buy it!!!

And this sounds like a great idea!

Our fate is sealed only when we accept it. -~Arxryl~-

07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

Good luck, I haven't done anything on COZ except re-draw the same guy saying "Ballsack" to children.
hopefully you have a higher level of maturity than me.

07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

Thank you so much, guys! That motivates me a lot.

07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Creepy Doc
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2006
: You'll never find me anyway.
: 895
Creepy Doc  (10)

Cool, I definitely gonna buy it.

07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
ziggy
Grubb Fisherman

: Jul 2006
: Triland
: 981
ziggy  (137)ziggy  (137)

Wow that's pretty cool news SM. I haven't been here for a while and it's good to see your art and little stories here. I'd like to see that comic book when you finish. It's funny cause I'd like to do the same thing, but I don't know how.

07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

: Mar 2007
: Beneath the sink
: 1,157
skillyaslig  (124)skillyaslig  (124)

You're awesome at drawing, so I bet it would be a hit!!

07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

:
Cool, I definitely gonna buy it.
Oh, thanks!

:
It's funny cause I'd like to do the same thing, but I don't know how.
You also wanna make a comic book? Cool, do you have your own stories with characters too?
Maybe you should look for some publishers and ask them for more information as I did. There are sure many ones.

:
You're awesome at drawing, so I bet it would be a hit!!
Thank you very much!

07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
moxco
Zappfly

: Dec 2006
: Earth
: 2,794
moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)

Well, good luck!

I rekon it'll turn out great!