Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

03-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)
Anarchist Literature

The title says it all. I'm looking for some good books explaining anarchist philosophies and politics, but searching Google yielded no results, and after looking through my local bookstore all I found was an anthology of famous anarchists.

Anyone who has any knowledge of such literature, step forth and let it be known!

thx lol

03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Mutual Friend
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2006
: England
: 1,008
Mutual Friend  (41)

I'd be surprised if anyone has a great knowledge of anarchist philosophy on here. Though it does raise the interesting theological and social point of what would constitute an 'anarchist philosophy.'

I'm pulling ya. Why'd you wanna go read that pap for, anyway? Is this a school thing or personal interest? If the latter, go for some of the classic stuff: Aristotle, Plato's Republic, or if you're interested in the language of philosophy, and the philosophy of language go for Wittgenstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein). Only today I was thumbing through some philosophy stuff in a book shop, I was considering buying some Nietzsche. Been out of the game for too long.

Last edited by Mutual Friend; 03-14-2007 at 05:09 PM..
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

MF is right - wouldn't a formal anarchist philosophy be a contradiction in terms?

03-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Why'd you wanna go read that pap for, anyway?
It's a personal interest, I suppose. I've only grazed the surface of anarchist politics, but the stuff I did find intrigued me enough to make me want to know more. That, along with the fact that a bunch of poets and artists I really respect tout anarchy as their inspiration, is why I'm looking to read up on it.

:
If the latter, go for some of the classic stuff: Aristotle, Plato's Republic, or if you're interested in the language of philosophy, and the philosophy of language go for Wittgenstein.
I've studied classical philosophy in school, I'm all caught up on that stuff. But I shall check out this Wittgenmeiser.

:
Only today I was thumbing through some philosophy stuff in a book shop, I was considering buying some Nietzsche. Been out of the game for too long.
Aye, Nietzsche sounds pretty fascinating.

:
MF is right - wouldn't a formal anarchist philosophy be a contradiction in terms?
I think not; anarchy is not perfectly synonymous with chaos. No government, yes, no ruling bodies, myes, but complete lack of order, not necessarily. Or at least that's my understanding. It's the different schools of thought and anarchist theories that interest me (as seen in the sidebar on this page.)

03-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Mutual Friend
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2006
: England
: 1,008
Mutual Friend  (41)

I disagree, for me the term anarchist philosophy is certainly an oxymoron here.

Philosophy concerns the underling truth to life, the universe, yeah, and everything. It has no political ties, or social, beyond what is at the heart of existence. The truth is the truth is the truth.

Anarchy is the promotion of disorder, to moral ambiguity, the annihilation of structure, most probably stemming from existentialism.

Anarchist politics, sure. Anarchy being one conclusion to other philosophical concepts, maybe. I don’t believe there is such a thing as anarchic philosophy in any real sense, and I would think philosophers connected to such would baulk at the idea.

EDIT: Although, thinking about it, I can think of several instances where philosophy is directly connected to social constructs. You'll probably remember this better than I can, but didn't Plato have this entire thing whereby there are three different 'types' of soul and these dictate the position and function of a person in society? Worker, warrior, ruler (the philosopher being the ideal)? Or am I thinking of Socrates? I know Aristotle had a similar (the various different souls) system but different as to what they represent (Vegetative, Appetitive...?)

So, philosophy does have ties to politics, I’m just thinking of it in my own more romantic way of what it should be, maybe. In conclusion, anarchist philosophy may exist in your world, but it certainly does not in mine.

Last edited by Mutual Friend; 03-15-2007 at 08:33 AM..
03-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Fluid
Fuzzle

: Mar 2007
: Dormitory
: 118
Fluid  (39)

why the hell you need anarchist philosophy for christ's sake....

go play football.
03-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
why the hell you need anarchist philosophy for christ's sake....

go play football.
I would, but I got kicked off the team for flexing too much.

:
Looking back, it seems that calling them anarchist philosophies was a misnomer. I was just interested in learning about the different schools of thought, which, after reading up a bit, pretty much all relate to politics in one way or another. You win this one, sirrah!

Anyways. With that behind us, I'd still be interested in hearing about any good titles regarding anarchy. Thanks.