Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Oddworld RPG

04-03-2005, 02:39 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)
New, detailed RPG rules. everyone please read

Okay, thought that now that i'm the mod, i'd like to post some detailed rules. I've let Red Muse's topic stay stickied, because of important discusion. but that may change in the future.

First i've made a starter-guide thingy:

When you join an RPG, you must first make a profile. They usually look somewhat like this

Characters name: (the name of your character)
Specie: (what creature is it?)
Bio/description: (Description on how your character looks like.)
Personality: (How is your character? Mean? Nice? Scared? Bold?)
Items/weapons: (What it holds)

But don’t copy other people’s characters (creativity is a very important thing in RPG’s).

>>>>>
When you post, this is the most used way to do it: When character does

something, type:
*text*

When character says something, type:
Character: “text”

When character thinks, type:
Character’s thoughts: “text”
Example:

Mick’s thoughts: “Oh man, I’m tired” *drinks brew*
*another slig steps inside.*
Slig: “What do you think you’re doing?”

If you want to post an out-of-character message, type
“OOC” and then what you want to post. Like this:

(OOC: Hmm… I will not be able to post this week).

>>>>>
Now you know a little about character posting, but you should also know how to create an RPG. Firstly, you need a lot of imagination. You need to pull a whole story together, and make it interesting but you don’t need to spend hours on it. Just post a back-story (members usually don’t join RPG’s without a back-story, unless the RPG very special, or has a good plot.). You also need to make up some rules, so it won’t get all messy. The rules should contain things like, what creatures and races are available, what place we are playing on, what weapons are available, how many persons may join and how to make the character profile.
Here are the main-points on describing an RPG:
Back-story,
World-description,
Creature description,
Item description. Rules
Profile-description
How many people may join?
How do things work? Conclusion >>>>>

And here are some basic rules you should know:

• Do not control other people’s characters.
• Do not copy other people’s characters.
• Do not post to an RPG thread, unless you want to join, want to say something very important, or have already joined.
• Try not to join RPGs you won’t post at.
• Do not flame anyone in the RPGs, if you have a problem with them, take it to the PM.
• Try not to take completely control of the RPG.
• If you want to post out-of-character, type “OOC” before text.

>>>>>
So now that you've got the basics, i'd like to say a few words about Power-Playing and God-Moding

[Some definitions on God-moding:

A person who controls the others characters, like when a player hits another, and doesn’t give the player a chance to defend himself. You can’t kill another’s character either. It is also considered god-moding when you decide what another player’s character says.
Here is an example:

We have two players: Player A and B

Player A writes:

A hits B, and brakes his arm. B starts to cry.

In this case A has done two things he’s not allowed. Didn’t let him stand a chance, and controlled him by stating that he’s crying. It is not allowed even if B thinks it’s alright afterwards, because you never know if B will think it’s alright. It is only allowed if they have planned it before, and that both agree on it].

[Power-playing:

A person that is over powerful, never gets hit by other, always wins, and stuff like that. A rather boring person. A character with powerful sides is alright, but he/she must have weaknesses too. A fair play is a good one.

An example:

B tries to hit A

A avoids the attack, and shoots him with his gun.

B gets hit in the arm, but shoots A with the other.

A avoids again, and kicks B to the ground.

In this case, A is being annoying; by making it impossible for B to even touch him.]

Also I would like to say that changing the storyline completely to one owns benefit is not allowed. Neither are sudden new characters, to save the day when you’re in trouble.

Keep in mind that there is a timeline, and that if you’re in the end of one place, you can not suddenly appear at the other end, just like that.

>>>>>
That was all I think. If you have any ideas, or think that I’ve missed something out, please feel free to post.

Have fun,
T-Nex
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

Last edited by T-nex; 04-04-2005 at 06:48 AM..
04-04-2005, 03:27 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

Updates:

One-liners:
When you post, try not to write only one-liners. A one-liner is a post where the player has only written one or two lines. Sometimes it's ok, but always, it just get irritating. Try to use more time your posts, and describe it more.

Ignoring:
Also, remeber that ignoring other players isn't allowed. be observant, read the posts through, and if there's something you don't undertsand, say so instead of ignoring them. If you don't like the other players actions, say so too, instead of ignoring.

An example:

A punches B
B continues down the hall and watches TV

A talks to B
B goes to pack some crates

Grammar:
It is very aporeciated if you put an effort in your grammar and spelling. If you're not sure what a word means or spelled like, use a dicationary, or do a spelling-check with Microsoft Word.

Copying RPGs:

Please do not copy other's RPG. Having 2 or 3 of the same RPGs is quite annoying. If you absolutely want so, you can ask the author for the original RPG, and ask if you can use his/her ideas. But, you may start an RPG that is the same as another, if it is out-dated. I can't see how that would hurt.

Constant swearing:

Please refer from swearing. It is no allowed, but your character can call each other other stuff then f*ck and stuff like that.

An example:

A shoves B again, wanting to finish the fight

A : Ran away, again?

B : **** off you ****ing ****

however, you can do something like

A shoves B again, wanting to fight

A : Ran away again?

B : Get lost you bastard! I don't wanna fight.

The first post:

I seen many members do a one-liner for the first post in an RP.
That's actually very bad, cos the first post shall always be an intruduction. The first post is used to settle evrything, intruduce ye character, make sure to show how he/she's like.

Sticking to the Storyline:

Please, when you join an ongoing RP, don't change the storyline drastically, just because you want to make your character important.
I've also forgot to add to the "First post"-rule, that you must have your character to join in a ligoc way. Not just appear in the place, but arrive somehow.
Please, when there is already one thing going on, don't change it, follow the story, then somehow, you can slowly twist it to your benefit if you absolutely want, but make sure not to ignore the other people's demands.
Don't start a kinds of sidequests, it stalls the RP and makes it anoying.

Please keep in mind that if you have any comment, complaint or suggestion, then feel welcome to post it

============

Last edited by T-nex; 05-12-2005 at 08:53 AM..
04-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Cyber-Slig

: Jul 2004
: Mongolia
: 1,225
Cyber-Slig  (10)

What about a character who just ignoes everyone else, even if people post an action towards them.

e.g. A punches B
B continues down the hall and watches TV
A talks to B
B goes to pack some crates
04-04-2005, 03:37 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Oh lol, yea I'll add that.

Remember to goo look at the second post in this topic, it's where i'll update rules and suggestions.

============

Last edited by T-nex; 04-04-2005 at 03:42 AM..
04-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

What about ''use grammar'', there's allot of people who post, but noone knows wtf they are trying to say.
04-04-2005, 06:21 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

Agreed, Cyber-Slig.
Pretty good work, T-nex. You well explained everything. And maybe there's the rule "Don't copy other people's RPGs." you missed, but it's rare that it happens.

04-04-2005, 06:34 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Thank you Dripik and Cyber-Slig. Both your suggestions has been added

============

04-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

What about ''No constant swearing'', for example

A shoves B again, wanting to finish the fight

A : Ran away, again?

B : **** off you ****ing ****

however, you can do something like

A shoves B again, wanting to fight

A : Ran away again?

B : Get lost you bastard! I don't wanna fight.
04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Well i'll add it, but i don't see it as a problem yet. But i wont let it become a problem. Thanx Cyber-slig

============

04-12-2005, 08:43 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

oh yeah, and i just wanted to say. I'm not gonna do anything about the RPGs that were created before i was a mod, but i'll read every RPG that are created in the future. I'll close the silly ones, and i'll try to keep this place clean.

============

05-11-2005, 02:02 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

An update:

The first post:

I've seen many members do a one-liner for the first post in an RP.
That's actually very bad, cos the first post shall always be an intruduction. The first post is used to settle evrything, intruduce ye character, make sure to show how he/she's like.

Update 2:

I've seen all kinds of silly RPs that aren't thought through, and suffers the same faith as the other. they get filled up with one-liners, un-understandable posts n stuff like that.
If it continues, i may introduce a rule about how much you must have RPed before you are allowed to create and RP.

============

05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Actually that last one sounds like a pretty good idea. If you have no experience it's a bit hard for you to create a descent plot that'll last longer than a week! We've been getting loads of new RPs that aren't thought through, have no backstory and no point what so ever. Maybe there should be rules for when starting a new RP?

I also think it's important to make your posts relevant to the story. I've seen a lot recently where people will ignore the whole of the RPGs story and just start strutting around and, say the RPs creator says no mudokon beating, they arrive and start attacking mudokons. It's very, very annoying.

05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: Umm...what?
: 494
the brew master  (10)

you need a no noob rule i.e Fuzzleman.

and like splat said the rule about creating RP's is defenatly a good idea.

Whats stopping you?

05-11-2005, 03:50 PM
cherie
Thudslug

: Nov 2001
: 155
cherie  (10)

i quite agree about the rule about createing a rpg. i mean you should have to at least put some thought into your rpg. ( i have an idea myself but i'm not sure if I should start it. i put up the idea in main rpg ideas but got no anwser) good rpgs aren't just something you can think up in a second.

05-12-2005, 08:52 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

OK then... I'll make the rule..
Also, i've made a lil' update:

Sticking to the Storyline:
Please, when you join an ongoing RP, don't change the storyline drastically, just because you want to make your character important.
I've also forgot to add to the "First post"-rule, that you must have your character to join in a ligoc way. Not just appear in the place, but arrive somehow.
Please, when there is already one thing going on, don't change it, follow the story, then somehow, you can slowly twist it to your benefit if you absolutely want, but make sure not to ignore the other people's demands.
Don't start a kinds of sidequests, it stalls the RP and makes it anoying.

I'll make a new thread for the new "making RPs"-rule.

============

06-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Salamander
Rabid Fuzzle

: May 2005
: Anigav
: 549
Salamander  (79)

i want to point out that rpgs get difficult when two characters have similer personalities, one character may try to do something when the other has already been done, i.e the dark mudokon and my character in the rpg: new world are similer which makes it kind of difficult because something he said in his post i was planning on doing later on
06-08-2005, 08:42 AM
The Dark Mudokon
Fuzzle

: Roxton-Falls
: 130
The Dark Mudokon  (10)

Bah!It's just a coicidence!I'll try and be careful that I don't copy your action.Just do the same,please.

Jaran The Dark Mudokon

06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Ok, to make sure evryone knows:

In this section, only Oddworld related RPGs are allowed to be posted. Non oddworld-realted RPGs go in the Non-Oddworld Art & Literature section

============

06-13-2005, 11:55 AM
duveaux
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2005
: The dark sewers...
: 490
duveaux  (10)

Yeah, thank u very much, couldn't have posted that before....

And, this is how I feel, feel free to ignore me since I barely RP on this site, that there're getting too much rules on RPG'ing on this site. It's a big issue in my RPG's. People think there're getting too much IC rules, though I barely have 'em.... And OC rules are even more annoying....

IMO then...

06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Uh, can't you just respect the fact that there are different section for different stuff... No-one is stopping you. You can post whichever RPG you want in the Non-oddworld related art and literature section... And if you think there are too many rules, evry forum has it's own way of doing stuff.

Personally, i like how you planned your RPG, you just posted it in the wrong forum...

============

08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
ObscureSkillz
Chippunk

: Oddworld
: 23
ObscureSkillz  (10)

Can you control people if you chant to do it?
08-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Are you Abe? No. And they have to agree to it first. And it's power-playing if you do that.
09-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Scrab-Meat
Bolamite

: Sep 2005
: Bottom of the Universe
: 65
Scrab-Meat  (10)

Hey I have one question and I need to ask before I can go through with it. Under the contex of your rules I was planning on createing an RPG based on my soon to come fan fic Skeeb's Oddessy. In that story I am going to provide illustrations to the scenes. Now if I did an RPG based on Skeeb and his delema, can I do the same by adding illustrations to each of the scenes the players make up? Also will I have to register my character before I do this?

I will fully follow those rules u posted above but I thought I would give something extra to the RPG to make it cool. Here is an example.

I set up a scene where my character is in a situation. Then I provide an illustration dypicting this situation. After that other members join in on the RPG and figure out a way to fix the situation and thus the story moves on. Once the group has successfully figured out the situation I will then provide the proper illustrations dypicting that specific scene. The chapter or scene doesn't change until everyone includeing myself figures out how to solve it.
Afterwhich the illustrations will be provided and thus we move on to a new scene.

I think that could work but what do u think?
Because RuptureFarms has driven Meeches, Scrabs, and Paramites to the edge of extinction, the only way to boost profits is to turn Abe and his pals into lunch. Thats right step on up and become Scrab meat!

Last edited by Scrab-Meat; 09-27-2005 at 04:45 AM..
09-27-2005, 05:43 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

Well, it sounds like a very interesting comcept, and it seems like you have a good writing-style too.... To make RPs you need an RP-license http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=12177
So i need to see you in action before you post an RP I think you'll get one very soon if so...

============

06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Okay, I've not done this before, as I have been rather intimidated by the whole idea. I'd been under the impression that it works by people all online at once, with quickly developing storylines. My connection is so crappy and expensive, I may as well be flying my posts in via pigeon, and o have not joined yet. I was just looking at the last W@RF page, and realise that this is not the case, but Bloody Hell! What's going on? I don't really know how these work (the detail is excellent) but it confused me. People were using multiple characters, I could not tell who was interacting with who, and I'm pretty sure I saw some Lost characters in there.

They also seem to have been going on for a while, and the amount of backstory! Could someone briefly bring me up to speed with a couple, cause it takes me 5 minutes just to download a single full page.

Sorry about all of this, but it's pretty overwhelming.

06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Sadly the last 5 or 10 pages of W@RF have been very messy. A lot of us have found the posts confusing and yes, someone has unfortuanately been creative enough to use the names of 'Lost' characters instead of creating something original.
Players post their characters in the RPG they want to join, because W@RF is so big we also made the character thread to post characters to W@RF in. Players can make more than one character, though the person who made the RPG can put a limit on the characters a player can create.
It should usually be clear (at least to people in the RPG) who is talking to who, if a person can kee track of their characters' situations. But W@RF has turned into a bit of a mess recently, so I imagine it's pretty tough to understand. I'm struggling a fair amount at the moment

Try reading the first few pages of W@RF 5. I think its clearer.

Oh, and as for the movement of action, sometimes if two or three members are on things can develop quickly but generally it takes a few days to get things going. People can't always get on more than one or two times a week but can still be successful RPGers.

Last edited by Splat; 06-01-2006 at 11:14 AM..
06-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: Jan 2006
: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)

Bullet Magnet, W@RF isn't so complex if you think about it. OK, let me explain. The factory includes several people that are in different sections of the factory. Some people have chosen to make more characters, since the story is limited to have only have two or three random characters. Now people go into certain sections of the factory, like the Grinders, Arnie's office, corriders, and the Producation area. If two characters are in the same room, often they interact. Here's an example:

Player A:

Slig A understanding his assignment, goes to the Boilers. In the Boilers, he sees Mudokon A.

Slig A: "Get back to work!"

Mudokon A: "But Fred said..."

And so on. Since there is not one, but several people in the factory, many people will be in certain places. You just have to be in right places, and pay attention to people's posts.

Chirpy7 used Lost character names for his people.

There is quite a backstory. The Grinders have been fixed, but the pipes need some replacing. (Gappiqu is on that, but he is on a break) There is also been times where Glukkons tried to take over the factory, but that has never happened. At the moment, the Lab has been filled with Knock out gas, so people are trying to fix that. Stuey and Srag had a little past with each other, so Srag is trying to kill him. The main lifts and elevator is broken. A group of Mudokons have discovered passages through out the walls and the enterance is in a bathroom. Vykker X is trying to make Sligs have legs, but he unconscious. Delivary Boy, Carl, and Stuey are also unconscious and in surgrey. Slap and Dek are the doctors around the place. Otto is sort of a person who listens to people's complaints. Kilsa is trying to take over the factory and is locked in a cage. Molt's arm burst off in a little accident and is in surgrey as well. Arnie has cancled all spice deliverment. Paramites have made their own little nest in the basement. And Max has been released into the wild. Yep, I think I summed it up pretty much.

06-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Zerox
Outlaw Mortar

: May 2006
: Um...RealWorld?
: 1,943
Zerox  (154)Zerox  (154)

I was wondering in The Albino Scrab RPG whether or not I'd be allowed a second character, because I have a really good idea for one, but the original creator/s of the thread haven't posted for ages, and seem to have abandoned it, so I can't ask them. Maybe there should be a rule about no. of characters allowed...? I only want two, though.
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: Jan 2006
: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)

There is a rule on how many characters you should have. It was said in oddveteran93's rules, that he would let people have more than one character, he wanted to. All though, in general having a number of character rules, would be unnessesary. People don't want to have 7 characters at a time. It's common logic.

06-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Zerox
Outlaw Mortar

: May 2006
: Um...RealWorld?
: 1,943
Zerox  (154)Zerox  (154)

I only really wanted two. it was just such a good idea...I'll add the bio now, then. Good to have that cleared up...or should I? I dunno, opinions?