04-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Sunsurge
Zappfly

: May 2005
: UK
: 8
Sunsurge  (10)
Hardest Part of an Oddworld Game?

What are the hardest parts of the game(s) for you?

I had real trouble at the Stockyards in AO. Firstly making it past the scrab pens, then the bonus area where you have to run across like 3 or 4 screens to save a couple of muds - it took me days!!! Then there was another part - soon after you find Elum, I always used to get a bit stuck on one screen trying to jump across a large gap. I think I later found out that you aren't actually meant to jump over there anyway. D'oh!

Ah, and in AE, there was a really tough part when you enter the Slig's Barracks for the first time, and there's a well you can jump into which shoots you up (but not quite high enough) and you can see all the hub entry doors.

Share your stories of parts of the game(s) you had trouble with!

~Ian
04-30-2006, 07:42 PM
skillya_glowi
Outlaw Shooter

: Dec 2005
: Behind your back
: 1,283
skillya_glowi  (54)

:
What are the hardest parts of the game(s) for you?

I had real trouble at the Stockyards in AO. Firstly making it past the scrab pens, then the bonus area where you have to run across like 3 or 4 screens to save a couple of muds - it took me days!!! Then there was another part - soon after you find Elum, I always used to get a bit stuck on one screen trying to jump across a large gap. I think I later found out that you aren't actually meant to jump over there anyway. D'oh!

Ah, and in AE, there was a really tough part when you enter the Slig's Barracks for the first time, and there's a well you can jump into which shoots you up (but not quite high enough) and you can see all the hub entry doors.

Share your stories of parts of the game(s) you had trouble with!

~Ian
You know, I believe that the secret to Oddworld games being easy is that you have to know what will happen before it does. After you've played through those areas a couple times it's a cinch.
04-30-2006, 11:24 PM
magic9mushroom
Sleg

: Apr 2006
: Australia
: 677
magic9mushroom  (20)

Ao the first time i only JUST scraped good, I needed sinjin to get all 99 since I didn't know about secrets outside RuptureFarms.
05-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Sunsurge
Zappfly

: May 2005
: UK
: 8
Sunsurge  (10)

I found the Board Room in AO insanely hard - you need near-perfect timing

~Ian
05-01-2006, 02:35 AM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

: Apr 2005
: WYYYARRGwop...Sounds fun, huh?
: 1,625
Dark Elite_H2  (10)

Oh jeez...
When I first played AO, the Scrab yard was hard as shit...
I couldn't even pass the last yard, without falling in to the Scrab cage.

My arts page...check it out XP

My main page ^^

05-01-2006, 02:57 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Hm, I found the secret in the stockyard to be extremely hard at first. The scrab kept eating me XD. Now it's easy though.
There was also one secret I believe in Paramonia, which was just so damn hard and if you died you had to start aaaall way over because the nearest checkpoint was at the beginning of the level.

I actualy found that getting to the boardroom was quite easy. It requires good timing, but I did it in about 2 tries.

I found getting to the exit in AE a lot harder actualy.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

05-01-2006, 03:38 AM
oddveteran93
Rabid Fuzzle

: Jan 2006
: Melbourne
: 516
oddveteran93  (23)

Hmmm... hardest parts. Well:

In AO: Probably in the stockyards where you're in the shadows on the right nad there's two patrolling sligs next to you, and you have to get up on a ledge. You can either run when they're not facing you or lure one of them into an armed bomb in the screen on the right. Anyway, it's extremely hard for me. I find all the other parts of AO easy.

In AE: The ending part; with the timer, when you have to blow up Soulstorm Brewerey. I also find the beginning of Slig Barracks very hard, oh and the "fleech part" in Necrum, you know the part with all the levers and sleeping fleeches.

In MO: Flub Fuels, I hate that level.

I haven't played SW yet but I'm getting it soon (yay)

05-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Glukinator
Sniper Wasp

: USA
: 262
Glukinator  (10)

:
AE: oh and the "fleech part" in Necrum, you know the part with all the levers and sleeping fleeches.

I think the hardest level out of all the games had to be the "fleech part" that oddverteran93 mentioned. How do you pull a lever with fleeches trying to eat you alive? I only got past it once.

05-01-2006, 04:11 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

Yeah, the part in Necrum with the Fleeches... one of my least favourite parts of AE. It's not difficult, maybe it's just because of the Fleeches. You have to sneak as long as you can, they usually notice you when you pull a ring or a lever anyway.

And those secret levels where Fleeches take part. Especially the one where the Fleeches are on the upper level and some Mudokons on the lower level. And you have to pull levers and a ring to open two sets of walls - one opens, one closes. Infuriating when you go for the Perfect Ending...

The hardest of AO was the Paramonian Temple, I guess. Mainly one of the levels with bees, those rolling rocks and stuff.

05-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

The timed bit at the end of AE, where you're really pushed for time and any small screwup means either you or the muds die.

I was crap at any puzzle involving timing and bone/meat saws.

Also there was a few levels in MO where it was virtually impossible to finish the level with the full host of fuzzles because they would attack and be killed by any enemy you came near.

05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
OANST
Necrum Burial Grounds Moderator
Our worst member ever

: Jun 2003
: Them dark fucking woods
: 12,320
OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

:
Oh jeez...
When I first played AO, the Scrab yard was hard as shit...
I couldn't even pass the last yard, without falling in to the Scrab cage.

No kidding. I had rented the game and I got so stuck in that part that I just gave up. I didn't come back to it until after I had played AE. Having played that gave me a better understanding of how to play the game and I stopped having that problem.

My bowels hurt.

05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
erwinraaben55
Bola Blast

: Jun 2001
: Netherlands
: 424
erwinraaben55  (111)erwinraaben55  (111)

:
You know, I believe that the secret to Oddworld games being easy is that you have to know what will happen before it does. After you've played through those areas a couple times it's a cinch.
Euh, that is with every game???
You start on normal, have a hard time.
You start on extreme, you have the hardest time of you life.
After passing normal, going on to hard, then doing extreme, you have a hard time beating extreme. After beating extreme for a couple of times, you think it is easy.

That is with every game. First you need to know what to do, in order to do it right.

Anyway:

AO: Some secret levels
AE: I forgot
Much: Getting the eggs save, sometimes I dropped them, and I had to do the hard parts over again :P.
Stranger: At the end, in the big city thing (don't remember it that well), I only played it once.
05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

for me the hardest parts were probably the secret areas in the stokyards...
and those screens with the moving balls with spikes.

05-01-2006, 11:51 AM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

I found the nests in each game to be annoyingly difficult. There were also a lot of parts with the elum where you had to jump a long distance and I always ended up jumping too soon, so I had to do those parts over and over again.

05-01-2006, 08:34 PM
magic9mushroom
Sleg

magic9mushroom  (20)

I didn't know there were secrets outside RuptureFarms and I also thought you had to save all 99 before you left
05-02-2006, 03:54 AM
Ninjaxe
Spark Stunk

: Hong Kong
: 396
Ninjaxe  (10)

ka ka ka for me is the board room level in AO. It so easy to die.
And you are in a rush before the time ends.
Annoyingly you have to start at the beginning near the door.

Another is in AE. I think is the secret with the scarb chasing after you and you have to jump in a well to escape it.
The secret is that grinders are coming down onto the mud. Abe has to jump down and grab the ledge before getting killed by scrab. Right moment pull lever on ledge to trap the scrab. Down and pull uda lever to free mud. That was the easy part. 3 muds to save. There are lift that goes down to two levels. And grinders moved down fairly quickly so you have to call the muds to follow you before the grinders get them.
What is so annoying is that one of them appears to be deaf. It takes me more than serverals attempts to do it.
05-02-2006, 02:12 PM
magic9mushroom
Sleg

magic9mushroom  (20)

:
ka ka ka for me is the board room level in AO. It so easy to die.
And you are in a rush before the time ends.
Annoyingly you have to start at the beginning near the door.

Another is in AE. I think is the secret with the scarb chasing after you and you have to jump in a well to escape it.
The secret is that grinders are coming down onto the mud. Abe has to jump down and grab the ledge before getting killed by scrab. Right moment pull lever on ledge to trap the scrab. Down and pull uda lever to free mud. That was the easy part. 3 muds to save. There are lift that goes down to two levels. And grinders moved down fairly quickly so you have to call the muds to follow you before the grinders get them.
What is so annoying is that one of them appears to be deaf. It takes me more than serverals attempts to do it.
The problem you had is that the Mud will only follow you if you say "follow me" after he says "Hello" back to you. I had the same problem.
05-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Slaveless
Outlaw Shooter

: At a thearpy session.
: 1,465
Slaveless  (36)

In AO, the hardest parts in the game for me, were Stockyards, Paramonia Nests, the first Scabanian secret, and the part before the Board Room. The Stockyards, first time through, was impossible at first. The scrabs were annoying for their ability to jump and run. The first secret was so frustrating, I gave up on it, until the second time. Also, the part where you had an entire area to jump across, it took me a while before I knew that you could run jump onto the platform. Next, Paramonia Nests were difficult. The area was too dark and once you got over one difficult part, you eventually die of not having to know what was coming. On the other hand, another part that was difficult, was the first Scrabanian secret. Not that secret itself is hard, but the fact that you had to beat that area, that had to be done with skill, but then you had to do the other part without dying! That took me days to solve. The other difficult part was the area before the Board Room. To kill so many slogs at one time, was frustrating. Once, I had tried to collect enough grenades to kill them myself. After a while, I got use to it.

In AE, I can't remember a whole lot of parts that were difficult. Though, that the part that you had to do the timing at the end, I remember yelling at the computer for not letting the mudokons listen to me. That part was difficult. Anyway, I couldn't remember a lot in AE.

05-06-2006, 09:49 AM
skillya_glowi
Outlaw Shooter

skillya_glowi  (54)
Native

Well, I really hated that secret screen in the Paramonian Temple where when you rescued that last Mudokon rocks started falling from the sky. That supports my hypothesis that I posted earlier: you just gotta know that the rocks will start falling, before they start falling, and, well, roll up to the other edge of the screen before you chant.

The Boardroom was pretty easy, actually. You just had to find the little platform thingy...mind you, not even the guy who wrote the walkthrough found it.

While my friends kept complaining about the Stockyards, I had no trouble with them(Stockyards, I mean, not friends). What really got my goat though, was the Free-Fire Zone, with all those stupid stupid stupid secret areas.

Also, what I'm beginning to notice is the lack of realism in AO, and, probably, all the other games (which I haven't played). I'm really wondering, why would RuptureFarms and all those other environments have mines around the place? They were put there especially so that any old slig could trip on them and blow up? And the grendade machines, that the button might be pushed by a rebellious mudokon and the grenade thrown at any innocent slig?

What about the rock sacks in the Stockyards, which the sligs can't even reach? Were they put there exclusively for any escaped Mudokon to get their hands on?

Okay, now I'm rambling. I know it's just a game, but still?
05-10-2006, 04:56 PM
magic9mushroom
Sleg

magic9mushroom  (20)

:
Well, I really hated that secret screen in the Paramonian Temple where when you rescued that last Mudokon rocks started falling from the sky. That supports my hypothesis that I posted earlier: you just gotta know that the rocks will start falling, before they start falling, and, well, roll up to the other edge of the screen before you chant.

The Boardroom was pretty easy, actually. You just had to find the little platform thingy...mind you, not even the guy who wrote the walkthrough found it.

While my friends kept complaining about the Stockyards, I had no trouble with them(Stockyards, I mean, not friends). What really got my goat though, was the Free-Fire Zone, with all those stupid stupid stupid secret areas.

Also, what I'm beginning to notice is the lack of realism in AO, and, probably, all the other games (which I haven't played). I'm really wondering, why would RuptureFarms and all those other environments have mines around the place? They were put there especially so that any old slig could trip on them and blow up? And the grendade machines, that the button might be pushed by a rebellious mudokon and the grenade thrown at any innocent slig?

What about the rock sacks in the Stockyards, which the sligs can't even reach? Were they put there exclusively for any escaped Mudokon to get their hands on?

Okay, now I'm rambling. I know it's just a game, but still?
Sligs are stupid but will follow orders and stay out of mined zones.
The grenade machines...well maybe Flying sligs need to recharge sometimes
The rocksacks the gluks probably didn't know about since the Stockyards is actually pretty natural
05-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Ninjaxe
Spark Stunk

: Hong Kong
: 396
Ninjaxe  (10)

I just want to declare that I dont find MO and SW hard at all. In fact AO is the hardest for me cause I rely on quicksave. Because I play AE(on the pc) more often. Out of habbit. F5 everytime. Doh!
05-12-2006, 07:23 AM
the Exoddus
Fuzzle

: May 2006
: de_dust2
: 129
the Exoddus  (32)
Dead

the last lvl on AE man stupid alarm lol

Rule 79. all Caturday threads will be bombarded with zippocat. No exceptions.

Last edited by the Exoddus; 05-16-2006 at 05:04 PM..
05-15-2006, 08:42 AM
skillya_glowi
Outlaw Shooter

skillya_glowi  (54)

:
Sligs are stupid but will follow orders and stay out of mined zones.
The grenade machines...well maybe Flying sligs need to recharge sometimes
The rocksacks the gluks probably didn't know about since the Stockyards is actually pretty natural
Yeah, but why are the mines there anyway? Seems like an awful pain in the neck to me.
Oops, when I said Stockyards I meant Free-Fire Zone...I always mix those up. Yes, it is natural, but what interests me is how the rock sacks got there.
05-17-2006, 07:42 PM
magic9mushroom
Sleg

magic9mushroom  (20)

:
Yeah, but why are the mines there anyway? Seems like an awful pain in the neck to me.
Oops, when I said Stockyards I meant Free-Fire Zone...I always mix those up. Yes, it is natural, but what interests me is how the rock sacks got there.
The mines are there for Muds to step on or they have to jump over and wake the guards. The rocksacks...the Muds had it first and maybe they needed them for guerilla warfare