Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
fallen ordinator
Zappfly

: Feb 2006
: Historical city of Athens
: 10
fallen ordinator  (10)
Mad ODDWORLD!:a place of comody or darkness?

Mates i dont know what these forums are all about... until i find out and learn more the ways of...oddworld forums,i would like to ask you 2 simple questions about the oddworld universe as a whole,we had dissagrement with my brother and i would like to make some things clear.
At the begining oddworld's old places was NECRUM-RUPTURE FARMS-SOULBROME FACILITY-MINES-SCRABANIA-PARAMONIA-MOSAIC TEMPLE and some other places where we had to hide in shadows in order to proced to the next level,we had to use the lifts to go up,go down,we had to yell:WORK! to the other lazy mudokons and we had to do many other activities that made the whole game an ODESSEY,its character was a dark one,and there was blood everywhere in some places (rupture farms)there were machineries everywhere and there was an atmosphere of fear....the mudokons were afraid of sligs and used as slaves!They wouldnt dare to even look at them...the whole world was drawn into violence and darkness and a great strungle for an exodus was making the game interesting.In munch's odessey the whole universe changes in a flash!NO violence NO strungle the mudokons are fighting the sligs while in the old games they couldnt even look at them,the industrialists are no longer as strong and dreadfull as they used to be...the NEW universe of oddworld is a cartoony one,although the scenario is one of the best scenarios i have ever seen in my life,the game doesnt represent oddworld as it should be... now the questions are this:

1.) do you like the new cartoony world of oddworld? (i am speaking for munch odessey not stranger's wrath)or do you prefer the old natural-violence world of the classic games of AO and AE?
2.)Munch is a stupid character,i would like to know if you like him or not...under my opinion he has made oddworld a cartoony happy place where the primitives mess around with industrialists, what's your opinion on the subject??
03-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

: Apr 2005
: WYYYARRGwop...Sounds fun, huh?
: 1,625
Dark Elite_H2  (10)

:
Mates i dont know what these forums are all about... until i find out and learn more the ways of...oddworld forums,i would like to ask you 2 simple questions about the oddworld universe as a whole,we had dissagrement with my brother and i would like to make some things clear.
At the begining oddworld's old places was NECRUM-RUPTURE FARMS-SOULBROME FACILITY-MINES-SCRABANIA-PARAMONIA-MOSAIC TEMPLE and some other places where we had to hide in shadows in order to proced to the next level,we had to use the lifts to go up,go down,we had to yell:WORK! to the other lazy mudokons and we had to do many other activities that made the whole game an ODESSEY,its character was a dark one,and there was blood everywhere in some places (rupture farms)there were machineries everywhere and there was an atmosphere of fear....the mudokons were afraid of sligs and used as slaves!They wouldnt dare to even look at them...the whole world was drawn into violence and darkness and a great strungle for an exodus was making the game interesting.In munch's odessey the whole universe changes in a flash!NO violence NO strungle the mudokons are fighting the sligs while in the old games they couldnt even look at them,the industrialists are no longer as strong and dreadfull as they used to be...the NEW universe of oddworld is a cartoony one,although the scenario is one of the best scenarios i have ever seen in my life,the game doesnt represent oddworld as it should be... now the questions are this:

1.) do you like the new cartoony world of oddworld? (i am speaking for munch odessey not stranger's wrath)or do you prefer the old natural-violence world of the classic games of AO and AE?
2.)Munch is a stupid character,i would like to know if you like him or not...under my opinion he has made oddworld a cartoony happy place where the primitives mess around with industrialists, what's your opinion on the subject??
One thing to put on Oddworld.
It's violent comedy. Not dark. And not plain comedy. Violent comedy.
Get it?

1) Munch's Oddysee, to my perspective, wasn't cartoony at all. If yer whinin' 'bout the funny, catoonic boing and glug glug glug, get over it, 'k? They just wanted to make it seem more lively and less serious. Munch's Oddysee wasn't at all cartoony. It was a decent game, with just some "odd" sounds".

2) Munch was an awesome character. Even though he was a bit worthless in the game, he was a great addition to Odd. He could shock enemies with Zap! He could control Fuzzles, ride in a wheelchair, and swim real fast. Plus, he can make a good decoy.
What I'm saying, Munch wasn't a bad character. He was decent, limited-used, and just really good. Not a bad guy at all.

My arts page...check it out XP

My main page ^^

03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
LoboDiabloLoneWolf
Sleg

: Aug 2005
: The moist country of the UK
: 695
LoboDiabloLoneWolf  (10)

I see what you mean, I really like the dark atmosphere in the first to games. The fear made the game interesting. Got the heart rate going and kept you on the edge of your seat. But the OWI had to change the games slightly to be more popular in the market. It's a pity that generally people aren't into the dark games as much...

Anyway, there's my opinion for you...

03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
outlaw king
Bola Blast

: The shivering isles!
: 441
outlaw king  (10)

Hi there!

1. I hatd munches oddysee , what happened to the good ol olden day games? The only kicks i got outa of MO was chuckin things in the recycler. I really wish they would make a grittier, darker, game for xbox or ps2 or perhaps even a xbox360 or ps3.

2. I hated munches stupid accent , other than that , he was alright.

03-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Abe 01
Thudslug

: Oct 2005
: .
: 177
Abe 01  (20)

I think oddworld is a bit of both, yes theres violence in Abes oddysee but comon, you can fart , i hardly think it adds to the darkness feel, and plus the voices are funny , not scary, those high pitched mudokons always make me laugh when they say Hello.
But then theres also the scary Mullock in the room with Abe chained up, so in my opinion it has a good balence of both.
As for munch, he sucks! He has that annoying toad voice and hes just keeping Abe behind , i mean could Abe sneak past a slig with munch bouncing and going hi abe garrr

Last edited by Abe 01; 03-03-2006 at 11:33 AM..
03-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

MO was a real flop, next to AO and AE. The first two games had seriousness in them. Hardly any serious humor, except for being able to fart, everything in AO at least was just dark and scary, with a funny thing happening every once in a while. AO was very serious.

They turned that up a notch with AE. They made it all a tad funnier. Gamespeak has a bit more humour to it. Cutscenes had more humour. And not one location had the scary feel to it that Rupture Farms had. Plus they changed Abe's accent, which contributed to a lot of the humour as well.

Then MO came along, and they went over the line. Munch IMO was a too weird character. For one I hated the 'retarded' look and behavior he seems to have. The accent, not to mention he was pretty much a worthless character to the game.
Icons in the game were to cartoony, the story was 10 times less then AO or AE, no great locations, no outstanding locations except for Splinterz and Vykers Labs.

Then luckily, OWI regained their reputation with Strangers Wrath, great locations, great character, great story and wonderfull graphics. Abesolutely fantastic.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

Dark Elite_H2  (10)

Well, you guys might think it was a flop, but I thought it was a good story.
I mean, it was the first...:ahem: second Oddworld game I've ever played. I liked the characters, 'specially the Sligs.
If you think I'm a loser of loving MO, send your hate mail to this point------>
And plus! It was the first game that got me deeply in to Oddworld.
I mean, what would you guys do without me?

My main page ^^

03-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

The game on it's own is alright. But compared to AO and AE, it just sucks bigtime. Thats a fact shared by the majority on this forum.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Dark Elite_H2
Outlaw Sniper

Dark Elite_H2  (10)

Oh. Well, I don't know that, because I've never played AO or AE. In fact, I think I'm-a get the PC game soon...

My main page ^^

03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

You never played AO and AE? Z0MG! *Kicks Dark-Elite to Amazon.com*

Go buy the freakin game!

03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I loved AO for its dankness and its dark, slapstick and toilet humour. No other Oddworld game has returned me to that place that AO took me, and I'll always judge every Oddworld release by the precedent it set. I hate the cartooniness in both AE and MO. I can't see that there's much more to it than that.

Fangus was allegedly going to be an incredibly dark experience. I would have looked forward to seeing that immensely.

03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

^^What toilet humor?

I don't know, I tend to look at Oddworld as a dark representation of our own world but with magic and spirits and other haphazard things...

I too wanted to see what fangus would be like. I know the whole humanoid thing is a nono, but for OWF to make a game like in that style would have been interesting.

03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

I don't think MO was a bad game by any means, just not as good as it should have been.

Regarding your comment that the muds are more powerful and fighting back in MO, you should remember that there is a clear distinction between slave and native muds. The natives ones are the ones who either were never enslaved or were freed in AO and AE. They've had time to get prepared to fight against the industrials.

03-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Paramite Mask
Thudslug

: Arroyo Grande, California
: 150
Paramite Mask  (10)

My opinion( it doesn't mean much):
In 2001, I was playing AO AE over again to keep satisfied before I got an Xbox. I loved AO for it's seriousness, and it showed that the glukkons were evil,brutal,all around villians who were ruthless enough to kill their own workers just to raise their buisiness. I felt the same way through AE, except a bit of the grittiness gone and replaced with a chunk of humor scattered through the cutscenes and farts. I was also kind of disappointed they took away Abe's old monk - like accent with a hillbilly-ish and silly accent. MO just came out when I was re - playing AE, and I imagined the same excellence, only in better, 3D enviroments. Then, 3 years later, I played it. Itb was much more silly and crude humor-ish. I wanted to get the expeirience I had playing AO and AE, so I went through the game barely using Munch unless I ha to. It made the glukkons look to dopy, and the Vykkers were just "meh". It made the game less of a survival and stealth type "you're a skinny chump with no weapons" scenario. Oh yeah, what happened to the death sound?? I still enjoyed it, and I played it through the second time with none of the music. So, I liked it, but AO and AE were much better. SW made me happy taking me back to my expectations of a 3D oddworld game, except for the expierince that tactics lie in your weapons, rather then your use of stealth and puzzle - solving.

It seems like I always say what's already been said, but please don't find this as a useless post. I don't want to be hated for this.. Well then, bye!
03-03-2006, 08:39 PM
outlaw king
Bola Blast

: The shivering isles!
: 441
outlaw king  (10)

Paramite mask , there is no reason to hate this post , I agree with you entirely , and im sure others would also . You took everything i felt , and turned it into a post . And everyones opinion counts!

03-03-2006, 09:48 PM
TomFrogman
Bolamite

: Nov 2005
: Australia
: 68
TomFrogman  (10)

I believe Oddworld was at its peak of brilliance after launching Abe's Exoddus. In my opinion, all Oddworld games should be measured from Exoddus. It was the perfect mix between a serious, dark feel and elements of comical humor. I feel that the change in Abe's accent and slight downplay on Glukkon brutallity were both necessary and worked in OWI's favour as they added so much more character to each respective side. During Oddysee, I always found the Glukkon's to be rather faceless and all like Mullock. There was also a big leap in Slig character development through cutscenes too around this point as well as the various types of Slig (almost none of which we saw return in Munch).

Munch was a huge let down for me, but I can still enjoy the game. I agree it became a little too comical and Munch admitedly did annoy me for a long time due to his lack of ability to do pretty much anything in game. What really saved this game for me was the cutscenes and storyline - neither of which measured up to Oddysee and Exoddus, but the gritty feel of Vykker's labs in cutscenes got me really pumped up for some dark gameplay. The Vykker's themselves, too, hugely brought up the value of the game. I absolutely love the character design and overall attitudes of those guys; deranged, maniacle, evil.

In conclusion, yeah, Munch pushed the boundaries between a light hearted, comical tone and seriousness, but that gritty feel wasnt entirely lost. Oddysee and Exoddus will always remain the far superior games, however. Personally, I await the movies with much more anticipation than any other Oddworld game. The quintology and dark feel we're all looking for will without a doubt transfer much better to the big screen.
03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
fallen ordinator
Zappfly

fallen ordinator  (10)

um.. your opinions are interesting mates but let me tell you that(in my opinion)the voices of the mudokons at AO and AE were funny (they sounded like babies)but that is not the point,besides if you hear them talking like babies you would thinkpoor creatures!they shouldnt be suffering like that).On the other hand in munch's odessey mudokons speak like RAPERS!!...i said work to one of them once and he answered me:OH MAN! they are suposed to be creatures that have suffered by the industrialist who were suposed to use them for their profit,not like they dont care for what is happening!And when i said cartoony i didnt meant like POWER PUFF GIRLS:PP i meant that in MO we wont see abe explode in thousand pieces of meat if he walks in a mine or a water bomb!we wont see that fear for the industrialists either... i mean ffs havent you miss the ''NAZI'' behaviour of the magog cartel ??I mean if oddworld is to become a happy world,people would better play super mario(i dont say it for you i just mention it) i dont want to think i dont like oddworld because that would be wrong,but when you start a game with blood you must continiue it with blood,i havent played stranger's wrath yet and i dont know if the things are cruel there as it was with the classic games of abe,but munch was a total failure for me!
03-04-2006, 06:15 AM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

I for one loved Abe's voice in AO much more than his goofy disturbingly upbeat voice in AE. It just helped tune in more of the oddness of the games. So yes, in a way, I loved AO's good humor, like in the intro when the Glukkons are doing their "MUAHAHA" thing, they all begin coughing because of their cigar smoke. But then there were parts like when Abe banged his head off the pipe which ruined all of the moment for me.

So seeing how the industrial lover I am of the games, AE impressed me the most, mainly for its music and imagery. It was borderline obnoxious (IMO) and didn't have the dark real world refernces like you did in AO, but they pulled it off with offering a nice rush of the industrial culture.

03-04-2006, 09:09 AM
fallen ordinator
Zappfly

fallen ordinator  (10)
Drunk

LOL used that (muahahah) thing is a part of the oddworld's darknes dont you think?When they laught abe mentions that there is a new kind of meat so these guys are about to slay mudokons for their profit and they enjoy it also!If this isnt an act of sadism and darkness then what it is??:P
03-04-2006, 10:51 AM
fallen ordinator
Zappfly

fallen ordinator  (10)
Dead

forgive me for posting twice but i have a few comments about the free muds who are supossed to fight against the magog cartel...the muds are primitives...its like Afrika's voodoo warriors and shamans fight with the America's marine forces!Who do you think will win?the mudokons that are still free are primitives with spears and linen clothing they cant win against the army of well organized sligs who wield all kinds of technological wepons!Technology versus noble spiritual society of native slaves,in an open war the muds are screwed,thats why abe sneaks around-messes with the minds of madog cartel's troopers-uses their vehicles against them and does a lot more....Final conclusion is that the native mudokons may be able to defeat the dreadful madog cartel with their spiritual power and their will but NOT with war!!!If any oddworld game shows again that the natives win in an open war the industrialists then i will never play oddworld again,some things are obvious since they show us in AO and AE an atmosphere of:there is no escape thing they cant be showing that the slaves are fighting their masters!They can escape through bird portals but not throught GUNS!!!
03-04-2006, 06:47 PM
TomFrogman
Bolamite

: Nov 2005
: Australia
: 68
TomFrogman  (10)

You have to remember that Munch's Oddysee needed to be rushed along and drastically changed from its original concept and as such, it can be assumed that the original, dark intended atmosphere and amazing gameplay we've come to see present in other OWI games just wasn't able to meet time constraints. The character of Munch alone was never intended to be such a useless bastard in game with his transformation into Roid, via a Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of relationship.

I think it could probably be assumed that methods of countering the Industrialists such as Native force and weaponry was left up to the fact that they did not have long enough to refine their gameplay and meet their intended criteria or standards.
03-05-2006, 03:39 PM
metroixer
Outlaw Sniper

: Sep 2005
: Florida
: 1,512
metroixer  (-71)

MO was O.K. Nothing big or anything just okay. But I still would prefer the old games over MO. Just because maybe i'm a freak of 2-d platformers. It's just when I played the first 2 games it was both something completely new. MO made me feel like "Hey...This seems strangely familiar." Which made it kinda lose it's touch. Of course SW was a completely new thing to do with completely new things to try so OWI knows what they are doing .