Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

08-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Beavis Core
Chippunk

: Aug 2005
: London
: 30
Beavis Core  (10)

The thing that makes Christian fanatics so dumb in the matter of HP is *deep breath*

It was proved hundreds of years ago now that witchcraft DOESN'T exist. Yeah sure, in the bible, witchcraft is a no-no. So what if Harry Potter is a story about something that is supposedly related to Satan. The proof is that Witchcraft a) does NOT exist in the first place and b) would not contain any links to satanism. JK Rowling is not a satanist and the HP books contain no links to satan. They're just freaking stories about witches and izards, which ARE NOT REAL.

Man I get so pissed off when people are idiots.

Another thing I hate about Christians is that they think the whole world should follow their religion and all other religions don't matter. Truth be told, if people wanna worship Satan, they can, as long as they don't do anything illegal like sacrifice a sheep. And imagine a Satanist's feelings when a film like the Passion of the Christ comes out. Yes, I'm sure the Christians REALLY cared about their feelings, yet when the Satanists finally get a film that, according to the most flawed work of fiction in existance (the bible) is linked to the Devil, all the Christians make a fuss because their religion is insulted.

Don't think I have anything against Christians. After all, if I follow any religion at all, I'm closest to Christianity, but I hate when people think their way is the right way and everyone who doesn;t follow them is evil.

Anyway, back on topic. I personally enjoyed the first 4 books more. My fave would be the 3rd one. That's where things got interesting. 4 was longer and had more in but it kinda screwed with too much. I liked the books because they operated across a school year, and the kids would have to solve some kind of mystery inbetween classes. As the books go further on, it gets too different. And I don't like the new one. It hurts me to say it, because up until book 6 came out I loved the books, but the 6th one SUCKED ARSE. They used character deaths as an advertisment. "In book 5, a character will die!" That seemed to work so in book 6, another dies. Big shock there then? I feel like she's doing it to drum up interest, but it spoils it for me because when I read through the book all I'm looking out for is who dies. And in book 6 I worked out who would die almost halfway through the book. I found it so predictable, and when I think ahead to book 7, I just know it will be awful.

Wow I typed a lot...
These are questions only BEAVIS CORE could ask. PM with you answer to join the insanity TODAY! *note: PM's are not guaranteed replies*

08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Dark Oddworld
Fuzzle

: Nov 2004
: wisconson
: 126
Dark Oddworld  (10)

Book 5 is my favorite right now. As far as I read through book 6 i'm not liking it very much the romance thing just doesn't feel right. But that can be blamed on the rabid Harry Potter fans who bugged JK into doing it. (No I have not finnished the 6th book yet)

MAN'S MYSTERY Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss. This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?

From the book Spirit Of Daedra...The Elder Scrolls Three: Morrwind

08-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

:
Another thing I hate about Christians is that they think the whole world should follow their religion and all other religions don't matter. Truth be told, if people wanna worship Satan, they can, as long as they don't do anything illegal like sacrifice a sheep. And imagine a Satanist's feelings when a film like the Passion of the Christ comes out. Yes, I'm sure the Christians REALLY cared about their feelings, yet when the Satanists finally get a film that, according to the most flawed work of fiction in existance (the bible) is linked to the Devil, all the Christians make a fuss because their religion is insulted.
I kind of agree with your overall idea, but this paragraph is incredibly flawed. First of all, Satanism is a religion based on the worship and progression of evil, and such a thing, no matter what "equal rights" say, sholud not be considered as a faction that deserves fair treatment.

Satan is the image of evil no matter what religion you follow, so showing Satan as the bad guy in Passion of the Christ is a totally adequate representation of the guy. And furthermore, followers of Satanism know that Satan is evil, and so the portrayal of him as such would not offend any of his worshippers.

"And Imagine the Satanists feelings..." - that just made me laugh. I can imagine a Satanist screaming, "SATAN IS EVIL, SATAN IS GOD, but I mean really, did you have to make him look so bad in the Passion? Just come on. Think of Satanists for once."

And really, the Bible is an awesome book with some killer stories. It's not a flawed work of fiction. The only time when it becomes flawed is when people take it literally and try to force their inaccurate interpretations down other people's throats.

So yeah. That's what I have to say on that matter.

And for some desperate hope of staying on-topic, I like the 4th book best, movies are all right, blah blah blah.

08-19-2005, 11:32 AM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

I agree with Kimon on this one (cept the book shooting). I may bot follow the Christian religion, but I like to explor and research religions wbecuase i think many of them are interesting, like how a lot of them have something to do with the desert.

One of my favorite texts about Christianity is Dante's: The Divine Comedy. It was to complex for me to read it (It took me like an hour just to understand one page) so II read about it online. I would definatley recopmend it to anyopne who is interested in Christain Mythology. Dore's illustrations for it are alos very good.

Last edited by used:); 08-19-2005 at 11:38 AM..
08-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Religion causes more problems than it solves. But it is very interesting.

As for Potter, I don't really care. There are better things and there are worse things. I've read the books and seen the films, I don't think they're as bad as some people say they are.

The collection of shit that comes with it is horrible though, it makes it annoying sometimes for me. Clothes, toys, lego, idiots, ect...

08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND SATAN IS MY PLAYTHING! HARRY POTTER MAKES ME PRO-ABORTION!

Really, extreme Christians, get an open mind. This is just a bit of fun fer the children. Think of the sterving children.

[/bono]