Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

08-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)
Project Offset

I dunno if anyone has heard of this beast, but it looks quite amazing.

Project Offset is basically an FPS/RPG in a fantasy setting, and so far the engine has been assembled by three guys working out of their apartment. Unfortunately, the project lacks funding, and if they don't find a publisher soon, then they will surely perish!

But anyway, have a look at the beautiful world of Project Offset.

Linky to the 2 videos. Very Cool!

Last edited by Kimon; 08-15-2005 at 05:14 PM..
08-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

Buffering 65%, 63%, 64%, 65%, 56%...

It looks good. I wonder what it gained inspiration from...

It's graphics are ****ing amazing. If I could, I would donate ALL my funds to these people. I am now anticipating this game that will be canceled.

DAMN YOU, EVIL KIMONO!

08-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Buffering 65%, 63%, 64%, 65%, 56%...
TeH BcKwurds.

:
It looks good. I wonder what it gained inspiration from...
Heee....

:
It's graphics are ****ing amazing. If I could, I would donate ALL my funds to these people. I am now anticipating this game that will be canceled.

DAMN YOU, EVIL KIMONO!
When you curse the Kimono, he -

EETZ UR BAYBEEIZ!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, this isn't a PM. On-topic, on-topic. Well, I've joined the newly established forums there, and we're on an escapade to raise awareness of the game so as to get people interested in funding it. That's part of the reason I posted here.

But the other reason is because this game (even though the "gameplay footage" is tech demo-ish) looks absolutely beautiful + amazing. Do enjoy the videos.

Last edited by Kimon; 08-15-2005 at 05:24 PM..
08-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

Honestly, I have just shat my guts out through my eyeballs. MOTION BLUR! AWESOME MODEL COMPRESSION! Must, donate, now.

Damn you, Kimon, too much excitement for one day. I must urinate.

08-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Honestly, I have just shat my guts out through my eyeballs. MOTION BLUR! AWESOME MODEL COMPRESSION! Must, donate, now.

Damn you, Kimon, too much excitement for one day. I must urinate.

Oh, the hilarity. Ebony armor AND motion blur in one day? I don'r understand how you don't physically pop into a billion shards of Leto.

But yeah, unfortunately you have to donate through credit card or some other strange means, which = me not donating. Which sucks, cuz this thing NEEDS funding, and fast.

08-15-2005, 11:12 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

I heard about this..

looks very good imo.

Although I can't help but notice the striking similarity to the wizard and gandalf....
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

08-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

This looks good. I probably won't get it or play it though.

09-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

Just an update, the developers have toured around the nation looking for funding, an they have several very interested publishers, which is good. Yae 4 Pr0j3ct 0ffs3t!

If this game becomes a funded, 100% sure-to-come-out project, I will poop myself from happiness.

09-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

Good news, the folks at Offset have found themselves a (currently unnamed) publisher! Rejoice as this game starts existing!

Also they are looking for applicants. Not that anyone here would really be specifically good at that kinda thing, but still, is cool.

****Double post noted. Ample punishment has been self administered. Now excuse me while I put away the iron.****

Also, I thought I might add this sucker, just for you who don't want to have to click on more links.

:
Introducing the first epic fantasy FPS

"Project Offset" (working title) is a game like no other first person shooter to date. We wanted to make an FPS set in a epic fantasy world. A game where you can choose one of many character classes. A game where clans can combat over mission based objectives and be ranked accordingly. A game where you can play alone, coop, team based objective or deathmatch.

The controls feel exactly how an FPS player would expect. Play as an archer and
your skill using the bow and leading your target is what will set you apart. When the battles get close up, pull out your sword and continue the fight melee.

For players who like vehicle combat, we won't disappoint. Project Offset will have creatures you can ride, dragons you can fly, siege weapons you can man -- all part of an epic battle between you and your foes.

Project Offset is built around a next gen engine, where every model is created with the amount of detail and effort normally found only in a cinematic, making you part of an epic story.

Yes this game will have single player! And you will be able to play with friends as well. We have many things planned for this single player that will excite fps players and rpg players alike. Information about our single player/coop will be given soon.

The game is targeted for next gen PC hardware. Xbox360 and PS3 are also possible and we are excited about bringing Project Offset to these platforms.

This is a very basic overview of our Multiplayer to answer some of the common questions we have been recieving. Some of the more exciting areas of the game such as persistent experience, melee and other key areas will be explained in updates to come.

The Multiplayer Competition aspect of Project Offset is designed to be fast paced and teamwork dependent. 2 teams are placed in a battle with a set of objectives. The first team to complete their objectives wins the battle. During the course of a battle, a player can choose from five or more character classes. Players will earn experience while playing that they can use to customize and improve their characters, as well as improve their individual rankings.

The number of players per game is expected to range from 8 to 64+, split evenly between the two teams.

A battle is a multiplayer game level where both teams are assigned a separate list of objectives to complete. This is usually set up as an attacking / defending situation, where team A "pushes forward" offensively through the level, while team B tries to stop their progress. There are two types of objectives, primary and secondary. Primary objectives MUST be completed in order to win, while secondary objectives will help your team, but are optional.
Battles are always set up as a struggle between good vs. evil. Each battle tells a story that is part of a larger war. A war is simply a chain of three or four battles. The battles visited in a war can change based on which team wins each battle.

The length of a team match can vary from half an hour to several hours depending on the skill level of the teams playing, and the length of the war.

Example battles follow:

Castle Siege

Team A (Evil) primary objectives:

Primary Objective: Transport siege weapons within firing distance of the castle
Primary Objective: Destroy the castle's outer defenses
Primary Objective: Infiltrate the castle and kill all the innocents
Team A (Evil) secondary objectives:

Secondary Objective: Capture the castle's guard towers
Secondary Objective: Destroy the side wall to the castle
Team B (Good) primary objectives:

Primary Objective: Light all beacons to call for reinforcements
Primary Objective: Defend the innocents for 30 minutes until reinforcements arrive
Team B (Good) secondary objectives:

Secondary Objective: Prevent the enemy's siege weapons from reaching firing distance of the castle
Secondary Objective: Defend the guard towers
Secondary Objective: Construct a barricade to the castle gate
Voyage

Team A (Good) must abandon their city and head for a new land by ship. Team B (Evil) must stop them using whatever means necessary - dragons, smaller boats, etc.

Project Offset is a class based FPS. Each class has specific roles in a battle and brings with it one or more unique abilities. Although there are weapons each class share, each class has ranged and melee weapons unique to them. In order to win a battle, teammates must be coordinated in their usage of each class to successfully complete each objective.

Below is a list of some basic classes and their roles.

Human (Warrior)
Primary role: The stock soldier in the group, useful in all combat situations

Elf (Marksman/Stealth)
Primary role: Stealth and long ranged "sniper" attacks

Dwarf (Builder)
Primary roles:
Constructs and repairs "constructible" objectives
Demolition using explosive devices

(Healer)
Primary role: The life of the party!

Wizard
Primary role: Area damage dealer

Certain battles will have vehicles or creatures that can be ridden.

Horses
Fast moving, can be ridden by one player at a time

Catapult
Large, very slow moving device
Can be boarded by players to protect them

Dragon
Ability to fly
Can rain fire on enemies down below
Can swoop down and grab enemies

Giant Troll
Serves as a ground transport vehicle

Battle Ship
Very large vehicle supporting many players, with ballista armaments

Persistent EXP is a big part in the game design. We will dive into this more in future updates.

Destructible environments
Dynamically simulated deaths (ragdoll physics)
Dynamic damage
Arrows sticking / bouncing off objects and players
Dynamic character reaction ("knockback") animations
Falling blocks and debris

During the course of a war, players will travel through many different lands.

Environments will be epic in design, incorporating both indoor and outdoor areas. The visuals will vary from the vast and beautiful to the claustrophobic and scary depending on the battle.

Environments will play an important role in gameplay. Expansive outdoor environments will be conducive to vehicle combat, while enclosed environments will work well for melee combat.

An epic fantasy FPS is something we have been dreaming of for a long time. We are currently seeking publishers interested in funding development of the game. If you are an interested party, please email us.

Stay tuned for more detailed information on our Single Player and Multiplayer design.

Last edited by Kimon; 09-17-2005 at 05:55 PM..
09-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

:
an FPS/RPG in a fantasy setting
"Oh christ not another one" comes to mind.
09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
"Oh christ not another one" comes to mind.
There aren't all that many FPS's in a fantasy setting. Which is why I say meh to you. Grrr.

Anyway, just to reiterate, those trailers were a tech demo of the real-time engine, not actual gameplay as PO_Rocks! here seems to suggest.

10-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

Just an update, the head developer got interviewed, and he showed off some new in-game footage. Do enjoy.

Here's a linky!

10-29-2005, 09:57 AM
metroixer
Outlaw Sniper

: Sep 2005
: Florida
: 1,512
metroixer  (-71)

Oh snap this game looks great! Too bad I won't be getting a 360 or PS3(definantly!!!).
My brother is gonna have hih 360 with him and well C-O-L-L-E-G-E for him right now in tallahasee which is the other side of where I live in Florida...