05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

: Nov 2004
: United States
: 1,275
odd chick  (10)

:
Take the "Final Oddworld" thread, for example. Sligco was being a total ass. Even after the other forum members gave advice, he kept being a dick. In fact, he got even worse. Unfortuantely, the thread was closed before I could chime in, but it was pretty bad. In my opinion, what went on in that thread deserves a ban, but due to the laid-back feeling at this forum, maybe just a suspension would be in order. Something to teach the guys a real lesson, but not permanantly remove them from the forums.

The idiocy can be viewed in the following link: http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=12134
I completely agree. I believe that a ban should've been instated for acting like that as well (At least a temporary one). Also, this is what I meant by some people wouldn't take someone constantly bashing him/her and a flame war would result. (Even though Sligco wasn't being 'bashed' at all, really-it was only constructive criticism and he completely popped off on us all.) Unfortunately, the same thing is happening with him as what happened with Stingbee. :/

Edit: After re-reading the Final Oddworld thread, I realize that it seems that Sligco may have been provoked by a few people here and there. However, it still gave him no right to flame people who were only trying to give him constructive criticism. I believe all of this is the reason why that thread ended up being closed.

Last edited by odd chick; 05-16-2005 at 03:42 PM..
05-16-2005, 03:02 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

God, I feel so sorry for Alcar; no matter what he does, someone is never satisfied. When I first arrived here, there was some sort of "crack down on the rules" thing going on, making the forums more strict. People complained and were angered. Some even left, I believe. Now that the forums are back to easy-going, there's loads of complaints again. There's no pleasing you people!

05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

Rex Tirano... you have a serious superiority complex, and I suggest you take it elsewhere, because we're trying to have an on topic discussion here.

:
The idiocy can be viewed in the following link: http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=12134
For the record Dipstikk, what you were doing to sligco in that thread is EXACTLY what I am condoning and suggesting. The intellectual pummeling of idiots who cause problems. You've done it yourself, so please don't argue with me and tell me that I'm being unreasonable, it's hypocritical.
05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Dark Oddworld
Fuzzle

: wisconson
: 126
Dark Oddworld  (10)

We should put up a spell check for the idiots that can't type a sentence without a hundred spelling errors or for the people who constantly use chat speak. If they continue to spam, misspell and over use chat speak we sould give them warnings and ban them. If there just spamers like Stingbee just ban them after giving them warning or like the way Stingbee was just ban them without any warning because its clear there only there to spam. I've seen fourms with spell check and they seem to have less members with errors and bad grammer.

MAN'S MYSTERY Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss. This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?

From the book Spirit Of Daedra...The Elder Scrolls Three: Morrwind

05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

:
You've done it yourself, so please don't argue with me and tell me that I'm being unreasonable, it's hypocritical.
I'm no longer arguing about unreasonability, I'm arguing about the fact that you've done some dumb things as a noobie too, such as this wonderful little scenario here in the "My Tongue is Twisted" thread.

:
_______~{**}~_______

dont fuck with me I'm on weed....
And you were repremanded...
:
No offence Dino, but I really don't give a shit that you're on weed. It's entirely irrelevant and not even interesting or amusing. And don't bother writing some long-winded post about how it's your birthright to say whatever the hell you like because I don't care.
And you continued to mouth off, which earned you a warning from Majic...

:
1: I never asked you for your opinion on my post, so next time don't make the mistake of assuming that I give a fuck.

2: I don't give a shit about your opinion on how interesting or amusing the comment was. A post isn't invalid just because you don't find it amusing or interesting, your royal arrogantness.

3: I'll write a long-winded post about how it's my birthright to say whatever the hell I like if I want to. Because it IS my birthright to say whatever the hell I like - what are you going to do to stop me? Click on me? Regardless, since you seem to think it's your birthright to say whatever the hell you like, you shouldn't be such a hypocrite.

4: Get a social life, you overbearing pompous opinionated arrogant argumentative shitfuck. Every single post you've made toward me has been an expression of your discontent - not once have you ever contributed anything of any worth or relevance while in these posts. I don't fucking care about how you think that I'm such a bad bad person and how you're great because your farts smell like roses, and niether does anyone else.

So chew on it, boxjaw.
:
Mr. Dino, consider yourself warned for spam and just plain bullshitting. Nate was justified in shooting down your comment. I see no relation with "I'm on weed" and tongue twisters. And I'm not inviting you to try, either. Any more crap about your birthrights and such, at least in this thread, will simply earn you another warning. If you want to play here, then play by the rules.
...Who you told to shut up (a really, really stupid move, telling a Mod to shut up.)

:
Oh do shut up Majic. I'm giving you a warning for not having a sense of humour, you silly goose.
This is my arguement: You haven't been a complete angel yourself in your few months of being with us. So before you go off and put yourself on the High Throne of Noobkind, take a look at your own mistakes and think about whether you're really one to talk about stupid behavior.

05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Dark Oddworld
Fuzzle

: wisconson
: 126
Dark Oddworld  (10)

In some ways Dino is just as bad as a spamer but he does have the right to flame people if he wants to no matter how much they may hate it. If he wants to be nasty to new members he has every right to be but it could just lead to his ban. No one likes to be flamed but if it becomes a critical problem after being told nicely to improve there spelling or to stop spaming then it should be ok to flame them for there stupid grammer. I hate people who don't even try to spell correctly. I'm not that great of a speller but unlike some newbies I try to spell better and try to correct the words I don't spell right. I'm also a fast typer and don't like to spend a great deal of time checking over my post so I still spell somethings wrong. All I know is that the spamers around here are just anyoing and need to be delt with.

MAN'S MYSTERY Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss. This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?

From the book Spirit Of Daedra...The Elder Scrolls Three: Morrwind

05-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

: Jan 2005
: Lost in Space
: 818
Gretin  (167)Gretin  (167)

Quote: Originally Posted by Alcar

Quote: Originally Posted by Gretin
I have a similar stance on this to Odd Chick, but I also believe in the old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Trust me on this one, I have a very good knack for knowing what a member will be like within their first post. Sometimes I only need to look at their profile while validating them. How I would love to prevent the forums from suffering from these idiots (not noobs, just spammers, multiple accounts, etc), I know for a fact that it'd start another noob / idiot / naive / moron war again. And I just love them so much. Yes, ever so much.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gretin
Is it possible for that quiz (I think Nate_dog_woof suggested it?) to actually be implemented? If it could, and if it needed typed answers (i.e. not just selecting one answer from a selection, as some people would just keep trying and trying until they got the right ones by chance), that would possibly prevent some of the real idiots from actually joining.

The idea of a quiz being used as a barrier to the forums has been an idea suggested long before nate was a member. I suppose the only reason we don't do it is that everyone deserves to have a chance at being a member. It'd be like restricting immigration by using language tests. Which is so 1900's.

Alcar...

Ah, I see your point.
I actually think that most of the time, the warning system we already have in place works fine. And the Sligco situation shows why flaming sometimes causes more harm than good.
This thread shows how sometimes telling someone clearly what's wrong without flaming can be far more effective than calling someone how stupid they are. (Hope you don't mind me using this as an example, Cyber-Slig)
And, yes, I know some people just won't listen when they are told clearly, but some people also don't bother to tell them clearly, they just get straight to insults which can sometimes mask what's actually being said. If they ignore everything that everyone tells them, then it's time for the moderators to step in, maybe even issue a warning depending on the degree of rudeness/stupidity/whatever.

:
I know me saying this will end in me being flamed
Heh, I had the same thought when I first posted in this thread.

05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
-Aquacid-
Bolamite

: Mar 2005
: A Hole
: 58
-Aquacid-  (10)

:
He, you say "kick the shit out of the idiots". Yes, that would be amusing, beating somone up with words on an internet forum. LOL
this guy knows the score! im sick of 'flame wars' on internet forums. they usually go like this:

fool 1: you're a stupid ****ing n00b.

fool 2: you are probably only 13 and have no life apart from the computer.

fool 1: i pwned him

fool 2: stfu or ill pwn you so hard you will feel it.

i laugh at these type of people.

05-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

I say we kick the shit out of Reece for being Reece.
05-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
God, I feel so sorry for Alcar; no matter what he does, someone is never satisfied. When I first arrived here, there was some sort of "crack down on the rules" thing going on, making the forums more strict. People complained and were angered. Some even left, I believe. Now that the forums are back to easy-going, there's loads of complaints again. There's no pleasing you people!
Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Someone does understand!

Furthermore, I had actually thought of implementing another "strict" scheme in light of all the idiots at the moment, but I didn't for said reason. Those that complained about by toughness are whining again about my laxness. You hypocrites can suffer the wrath of your own ignorance. Mwhahahahahahahah!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

05-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

:
I say we kick the shit out of Reece for being Reece.
And everyone else he's been.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

05-18-2005, 04:16 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

:
Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Someone does understand!

Furthermore, I had actually thought of implementing another "strict" scheme in light of all the idiots at the moment, but I didn't for said reason. Those that complained about by toughness are whining again about my laxness. You hypocrites can suffer the wrath of your own ignorance. Mwhahahahahahahah!

Alcar...
Yea, but that "crack-down", in my oppinion was unfair... People got warnings even for small jokes made for pure fun, and non-spamming intensions.

Also, i think that one of your majour mistakes with the crack-down was that you made such a big deal with it.
It's like when someone tells you not to do something, then you get curious and do it anyways. But if you just don't say anything, the person wont even think about it.

And for Gods sake, please stop with the Reece-joke, they are but an overused jokes, which aint funny anymore...
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

05-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

:
And for Gods sake, please stop with the Reece-joke, they are but an overused jokes, which aint funny anymore...
I don't really see how us always talking about his many usernames is joking... More like, telling the facts...
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

05-19-2005, 02:13 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
I don't really see how us always talking about his many usernames is joking... More like, telling the facts...
Yeah. There's some proof knocking around somewhere, but i'll need to beat Peter for it.

Anyway from what i can remember

Reece Charles =4ourth Concept = Death = FeeCoFreak=Dino=Mawk= a lot of other people too.
05-19-2005, 04:56 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

Um, yea, you forgot Codek. But that's not the point, you've just overused the joke. It was funny in the start, and yes, they may be the fact.
But still, it's kind of irritating seeing the same thing being posted over and over again...
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

05-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

It's not really intended to be funny...

And codek was just a name change was it not...
05-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Mudokon Princess

: America
: 153
Mudokon Princess  (10)

wow, i can see i havent missed much since ive been gone LOL im sooo just kidding *runs behind a tree*

yah kicking idiots' ass, thats funny, IF it was in person ^_^
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Seriously, if this place gets strict again its going to be awful. Its noob this and noob that. Reprimand quickly and ignore the "Yeah, well you're a ____" comments afterwards Oh, and can we all just try to take the cursing and swearing down a notch? I remember getting warnings, PMs, and coming so very close to being outright BANNED for far less casual blueness.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

05-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

:
Eh ignoring the n00bs will only make continue their mistakes. By n00b, i mean a member that makes the same mistake again and again, even though he has been informed to to do it.
But if you don't ignore them, then they end up telling their form tutor, and it's you who has the Sh*t kicked out of you by someone with a lot more power than you have.

Or, if they are strong Knobs, then I don't think you'll live to see another day.

(Asuming this is what schools are like all over the world)

05-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

I enjoy a public arse-kicking match as much as the next person (the spat between sligco and Dipstikk was fantastic ) but it tends to spawn itself in other threads, I'd noticed. As in, one thread turns into a fight between two members, mods close it, so the argument is taken to another thread... and so on.

Soo... I'd have to side with the mods/"hippies". Their job is hard enough as it is without having to decide which rule to apply to which thread, and which rule to ignore because it's all for the sake of "flaming the living hell out of the twats".

05-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Please close this thread. Please.

05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Let the moderators judge if a thread should be closed or not. This thread isn't causing any harm.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

05-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
It's not really intended to be funny...
Exactly. It's actually using wild unproven/unprovable theories as an excuse to flame someone. Right up there with using 9/11 as a reason to invade Iraq, using "the existance of god" as an excuse to harass someone into becoming a Jehova's witness, and refusing to play golf because you think you might get hit by lightning.

Congratulations on deflecting attention from my opinion and ideas for the forums by the way - you chose a great thread in which to change the subject to that of me being Reese. That's spectacularly effective way to insure that my ideas are ignored isn't it. After all we wouldn't want someone like me stirring up shit right? Right, only you guys are allowed to do that.

Yeah, freedom of speech is an illusion, only lasts for as long as people like what they hear, and if they start to hear something that they don't like, they try their very best to shut you down and brush it under the proverbial carpet. That's the problem with having idiots in positions of power. You don't like my opinion of this place? You don't like my ideas? Fine, just say so and I'm sure everyone will have a whale of a time not giving a shit. Those that do agree have their reasons, which they formed using their own minds. The people who believe in themselves aren't going to be held back by some two bit attempt to obstruct the debate, that's so shoddily assembled it might as well be held together with chewing gum, from someone who is obviously in the pocket of everyone else who's been parroting this "you're Reese" conspiracy bullshit ad nauseum. So don't insult our intelligence.

Now, as for the subject at hand, my opinions have been stated clearly enough. My opinions are not right or wrong, they are just opinions. If your opinions match mine, then good for you, maybe there might be some truth in them. If they don't, then it's either because it's convenient for you to take the opposite stance to me so that you can have an argument, or perhaps there isn't so much truth in it as there is room for opinion. Either way there are always the idiots who never contribute anything of worth or readability, who still manage to slip by because they "aren't doing anything wrong".

Right, that's my contribution for the week. Time to bugger off and get back to being "away".
05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Odd Trusting
Boombat

: Oddworldian deserts
: 225
Odd Trusting  (10)

Peace, we must have,a distubance in the force I feel. Yes newbies can be a pain, but newbies also look at us as tight-wads too. Seriously what it comes down to who is really making a big deal over the crap is us the older members. I mean how many little spits do we get into on the forums, just about one every day. What people need to see is words are more harsh then speaking to someone.

If you in person where messing around with someone and called them retarded they could tell you are joking by your tone of voice, if on the forums you respond to someone with "your a retard" they can't tell your kiding. That is why there are way more fights on forums then in person. Know to the part where I agree with Dino, yes there are newbies who join to make hell of everything cause they think it is funny, yet there are also newbies who don't know better, and we know Alcar can't take any of the blame for fights, he didn't start them, he is doing the best he can as a one man army, AbeBabe you too, considering you are on at different times.

I do believe that sheer crap that is put into threads can be punished through the example of being flamed a little just so they figure out that the choice they made was a bad one, but not to the point where they tell all their friends were a bunch a pricks, also someone who may be considering joining wouldn't find it welcoming for someone with 3 posts to have his block knocked off. But they should be flamed some just so they don't do it again (cause thats more affective, sad to say, then a polite letter asking them not to do it again.

Crap I wrote way to long again!
In Odd we trust. I am a Mudokon native with a Mudokon chum named Bubba who's taken flight in a 100% natural hot-air balloon to explore Oddworld and tell his findings to us in this Mudokon village were Abe and Alf my pet fuzzle and us Mudokons live.

05-25-2005, 05:12 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

Garg, Odd Trusting, read the whole thread. Although I totally disagreed with Dino, at least I read his posts enough to understand he didn't mean just new members. He's made so many posts clearing that up, and if you cause him to make one more long-winded, ranty post about how no one understands him because of your post, I'm going to... well, do nothing. But I'm going to do nothing angrily!

Last edited by AquaticAmbi; 05-26-2005 at 07:36 AM..
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Garg, Odd Trusting, read the whole thread. Although I totally disagreed with Dino, at least I read his posts enough to understand he didn't mean just new members. He's made so many posts clearing that up, and if you cause him to make one more long-winded, ranty post about how no one understands him because of your post, I'm going to... well, do nothing. But I'm going to do nothing angrily!
Holy mother Mary's aborted fetus shishkebab!

Hell has actually frozen over!
05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Odd Trusting
Boombat

: Oddworldian deserts
: 225
Odd Trusting  (10)

I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.
In Odd we trust. I am a Mudokon native with a Mudokon chum named Bubba who's taken flight in a 100% natural hot-air balloon to explore Oddworld and tell his findings to us in this Mudokon village were Abe and Alf my pet fuzzle and us Mudokons live.

05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

:
I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.
No, i don't think you did son. You did good. You did good.
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Alpha

: Aug 2004
: Ireland,Land of the Leprachaun
: 799
Alpha  (10)

:
Since Off Topic is really fucking boring at the moment, how about for really stupid threads we leave them open, and just let people flame the crap out of the idiot newbies that have been plaguing the forums lately?

It would provide entertainment (some of the people here are incredibly funny when they're flaming people), discourage newbies from making stupid mistakes, and potentially cause numerous idiots to leave in a very entertaining "OMG I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!" manner.

All in favour?
Isn't the answer simple NO: why you ask?.

#1:We are trying to encourage people to join not get them out as soon as they come!

#2:It's god damn Mean!

#3:R ewe blind? that topic is spam it's self.
05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Isn't the answer simple NO: why you ask?.

#1:We are trying to encourage people to join not get them out as soon as they come!

#2:It's god damn Mean!

#3:R ewe blind? that topic is spam it's self.
1: This thread has got nothing to do with people joining the forums or getting new members to go away.

2: Why? If someone acts like a prick, they should be treated like one should they not? It's only mean when people treat others like shit regardless of whether they're behaving or not.

3: Why is this topic spam? Why is it so convenient to just call everything that you don't like or disagree with "spam"? Alcar has already responded to this thread, and hasn't closed it for being "spam"...so are you questioning his judgement?