Ajiellyn
Fan Corner Moderator
The Dreamer

: Feb 2005
: Vega Baja, Puerto Rico
: 249
Ajiellyn  (175)Ajiellyn  (175)
Native Bugs bug.

You CAN'T live with them, but you can't live without them. I'm interested, does anyone have any insect problems that are common in their areas?

There are three things I particularly dislike:

- Those little black gnats that flock to your computer screen for the light, and you can't kill them either because you feel guilty or their guts will smudge.

- MOSQUITOES. This is VERY common here, but thankfully there are never any in my room, I never ever let them in.

- These weird flying ants that sometimes get into my room somehow. It's mysterious, strange, but more so annoying; they do have the potential to bite and they flock into my room on scattered nights. I don't know where they get in from, and they swarm around my ceiling fan light. If I turn that off? They fly for my computer screen, and end up on me!

Last edited by Ajiellyn; 05-04-2005 at 01:43 AM..
05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
that jerk
Bolamite

: Apr 2005
: New York
: 52
that jerk  (10)

-Green Flies, are angry little bastards, they bite me for no reason

-Mites come in swarms, one time one time i must of had like 80 on me and had to get them off with paint thinner.

05-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Blisterz Booty
Stunk

: New Yolk City
: 40
Blisterz Booty  (10)

There is a huge forest behind my house that is over 50 acres big. If I ever leave my window open for more than 5 minutes, over 20 bugs have swarmed into my room. There's also a hole in my wall that I can't find because everyday, I get over 40 earwigs, beetles, cockroaches, misquitos, and even bees sometimes. I just trap them in a small jar and then transfer them into a big jar, then the next morning I go outside and let all of the bugs out of the large jar. I have to run from the huge jar however, because the bee and misquitos are usually pissed and try to chase me as I dash back into my house. I won't even mention the several hundred ants in my room each dar @_@

I adopted a cute lil' death fetus
from Fetusmart! Hooray fetus!

05-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Ajiellyn
Fan Corner Moderator
The Dreamer

:
There is a huge forest behind my house that is over 50 acres big. If I ever leave my window open for more than 5 minutes, over 20 bugs have swarmed into my room. There's also a hole in my wall that I can't find because everyday, I get over 40 earwigs, beetles, cockroaches, misquitos, and even bees sometimes. I just trap them in a small jar and then transfer them into a big jar, then the next morning I go outside and let all of the bugs out of the large jar. I have to run from the huge jar however, because the bee and misquitos are usually pissed and try to chase me as I dash back into my house. I won't even mention the several hundred ants in my room each dar @_@
That sounds horrible! I thought I had it even mildly bad... I'm not a girly girl, I'll grab lizards and toads and play with mud pies any day, but I am absolutely terrified of fire ants and bees. Bees more, I've had nightmares about them. I guess it was my time spent in Florida, made fire ant bites kind of severe on me. One tiny ant bite smaller than your pinky nail would leave a painful mark on me for up to about a week or two.

The bees... I guess it's because of two things, I was attacked by a swarm of bees once because I jumped onto a chair they had nested under; and my brother used to have this cruel game of calling me over, throwing a rock at a bee hive, and running before I knew what was going to happen.

We used to have a roach problem, but we don't anymore. It was worth with waterbugs, the really big ones... I'm not 'scared' of them, but they aren't nice when you feel their weight crawling on you.

05-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

I keep a BB gun, which I use to exterminate spiders. Wolf spiders especially. I've cranked up the power of my BB gun, and bought some 6mm metal BBs to use, which is quite a bit more effective at killing spiders in one shot compared to the yellow plastic ammo.

... as a side note:

I once opened this really old pumpmotor shed near a factory and found these huge black spiders that looked like black widows. They weren't black widows of course, they were British spiders. Would be nice to find out what they were though. As scary as they were they were fascinating - I've never seen spiders like them before.
05-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Al the Glukkon
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: My house
: 466
Al the Glukkon  (10)

After they cut down an acre of trees near my house, carpet ants were here. Now, there just seems to be an abundance of spiders. Also, we caught two mice yesterday.
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
~T.S. Eliot The Waste Land.

05-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

I hate no insect. I'm just sorry we don't have those awesome looking exotic bugs around!

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/bugspi...eevilonOak.jpg
http://www.collierarbor.com/insect.jpg
http://entweb.clemson.edu/museum/web...ly1/ebfly9.jpg
http://www.punchstock.com/image/itst.../itf040020.jpg

Now, look at this! This is cool! Why can't we have bugs like that?

05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Al the Glukkon
Super Stingbee

: My house
: 466
Al the Glukkon  (10)

Wow, those are pretty. Let's sell em', we'll make a fortune! Wish, those where in my house instead.
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
~T.S. Eliot The Waste Land.

05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: May 2003
: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)

Well, i have...
-Misquitos, sometimes they get in my house, sometimes not.
-Ants, HUGE ant problem, don't know why,
-spiders, they live in the waaaaay corner of the house where they nest!
And yeah, i have not many bug probs.

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

05-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

: Jan 2005
: Lost in Space
: 818
Gretin  (167)Gretin  (167)

Well, there's mainly only two bugs that I hate:
1)White-tail spiders. I don't know any other name they go by, but they are poisonous and fairly common around here now. Note the "now," they never used to be here, they came not long ago. Their bite, although it takes a while to have an effect, has been known to make the whole affected limb swell up! So, in other words, not very nice at all...
2)Wasps. Don't ask me why, but I've always hated wasps. The only change is that when I was younger, my reaction to seeing a wasp would be to put as much space between it and me as possible. Now, my reaction on seeing a wasp is to look around for the nearest object that might be useful in killing it!

05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

White-tail spiders: they are true ****ers. One hid in a sock puppet when I was younger, and my sister has been scared for lifed.

Bush spiders: Well, that's what I get for living beside a ****ING bush.

The cool thing is, our house gets infested with hedgehogs in the winter.

05-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

:
White-tail spiders: they are true ****ers. One hid in a sock puppet when I was younger, and my sister has been scared for lifed.
Yeah, that seems to be a thing they do, hiding in or under clothing. They also hide under horse covers that are left outside...
I don't know why, but they never used to be around where I live.

05-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

Yeah I remember when white-tailed spiders first were mentioned. I think it was my last year of primary school, now they're easily the most commonly found spider in my house.

I'm not a fan of spiders, but as long as they aren't too fast for me I'm usually kind enough to glass them and put them outside. I also hate bees and wasps. I've never been stung, but I have a fear that I will be allergic and die.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

:
I keep a BB gun, which I use to exterminate spiders. Wolf spiders especially. I've cranked up the power of my BB gun, and bought some 6mm metal BBs to use, which is quite a bit more effective at killing spiders in one shot compared to the yellow plastic ammo.
Cheers Dino! I'll try this, I'm scared shitless by spiders. They must die!

:
The cool thing is, our house gets infested with hedgehogs in the winter.
Dude? How the hell do Hedgehogs get into your house?
05-04-2005, 09:21 AM
stingbee
Rabid Fuzzle

: Mar 2005
: in a bin
: 502
stingbee  (10)

round where I live there is a lot of ant infestations.
05-04-2005, 09:25 AM
soulstice
Howler Punk

: Gone.
: 310
soulstice  (10)

Well, in Central London you don't have much to worry about. Except my aunt lives near Regent's Park and she gets a lot of spiders. All in all, we only get flies, bees and the occasional small spider.
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

I dislike the those flying buzzing bugs. I hate that sound, it's sounds like a chainsaw. And when they fly in your room, it get's unconftble, thier buzzing everywhere. The sound of the wings sound like their paneking or mad. It's just so dam unconftble, I hear them in my mind too, and it's driving nuts. And thier so smalll and quick.

Once I saw a huge spider in my house, sure was big though.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

05-04-2005, 09:48 AM
stingbee
Rabid Fuzzle

: in a bin
: 502
stingbee  (10)

once I had a daddy long legs in my bath.
05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
once I had a daddy long legs in my bath.
Is that all? I havn't had too much experience with bugs. Well i have but not deadly ones, gnats are bloody annoying though, also one time i went in the Wendy house (wooden House thingy) and there was a tiny hornets nest in there... Being curious as i am i went to have a look, About 5 hornets came out and i narrowly escaped them

05-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

Due to lack of weaponry, I mostly kill any spiders I see with a diodrant can and a lighter, which is effective and fun.

Here, in the house, we only get the odd ant and spider, and sometimes bee/wasp/fly, if we leave the door open too long in summer time.

05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I can't stand to have large spiders, harvestmen or crane flies creeping or lurching about the house, so I usually trap them in a glass and show them out the door, just as I would with any other arthropod. Nothing gives me the right to remove their life.

That's why I could never be a gardener. The snails are only trying to survive. That's not a crime.

05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
BallisticPigeon
Zappfly

: Ireland
: 4
BallisticPigeon  (10)

Good old Ireland
no bug problems here
couple of flies in the summer
the odd spider frome time to time - thats about it
05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Ajiellyn
Fan Corner Moderator
The Dreamer

Wow! The spider thing sounds scary, I guess I should be thankful we don't have any spiders here at all... which is weird, considering it's a tropical island. We used to have some daddy long legs in Florida, and once I found something that seriously looked like a black widow (with a red mark on it's back and everything), but I doubted it even then-- I haven't really checked, but I don't think black widows live in Florida, heh, it was probably just an imitator. I ran away promptly after seeing it, anyhow.

You guys are both nuts and lucky that you mess with bees. I am dead-stread terrified of those things, (I 'dig' Elum less because of it) and infront of kids at school who mess with them, I look like a coward.

There's this kid that looks like Link at my school, but he definitely doesn't have the Young Link chival attitude. I once asked why there were so many bees around, and he, a 12-year-old, patted his chest and said, "Because I'm the honey!"

I wouldn't be able to live anywhere were dangerous bugs are frequently sighted. I should stop complaining about household pests in the presence of those things. I'm not one of those 'I wish bugs never existed, people don't deserve them' people, I actually believe that we are animals just as any other. That's why we can't kick them out of the circle... there's nothing can be done, I guess.

Besides, without bees or insects with queens to influence, Oddworld would be boring or strange! What, with female sligs and muds running around... I guess in some strange way we owe it to bees and ants, they're the most obvious example of insects with queens!

05-04-2005, 03:56 PM
General Dripikk
Thudslug

: Slig Barracks
: 188
General Dripikk  (10)

I have some spider problems, i have roaches and crickets get the house sometimes, it's because I live sorta near a bog.
:
:/Soulstice that was a little harsh... correction, very harsh. These kids are annoying, yes, and I know I've had a right old go at them in the past,
Dino being nice to dumbass kind??? O.o

05-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

Ajiellyn, what you saw WAS in fact a Black Widow. In Florida there are two types of venomous spiders; the Black Widow and the Recluse. The Recluse is much less dangerous, because as it's name suggests, it is very reclusive, and will generally avoid humans at all costs.

You were very fortunate to've walked away from your Black Widow encounter alive, given that at the time of finding it, you were not aware that it was a Black Widow.
05-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Voodoo Hand
Sniper Wasp

: Not from around here
: 290
Voodoo Hand  (190)Voodoo Hand  (190)
The Black Widow, a bad bitch indeed.

It seems that only adult females are dangerous, as male and young have no venom.
While checking this out, came across this tidbit of info, check out the last sentence.
OUCH!!! OUCH!!! That will leave a mark.

"When do bites occur?
Widow spiders are not aggressive and bites can be infrequent even when large numbers occur. The adult female spiders usually remain in their webs unless forced by adverse temperatures or destruction of their web. They do not forage for food and the insects they eat are caught in the webs and eaten at the site. Human bites mostly occur as the spider defends her web if it is brushed against or accidentally pinched. Occasionally, bites occur from hungry widow spiders when a hand or foot is dangled in front of the nest. Before indoor plumbing, bites were fairly frequent in outhouses, particularly on male genitals."

05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

Ow, I'm glad we don't have Black Widows here! (I think) I don't actually mind bees that much, although I have been stung by one that somehow ended up in my boot... Come to think of it, my foot was also the only place that I was stung by a wasp too...

05-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

:
Dude? How the hell do Hedgehogs get into your house?
The door, man. Really, they get through my window. NZ hedgehogs are bloody crafty. But they're cool, I feed them pellets and milk. Sort of like outside pets.

While we're on the topic of infestations, mice live in my home. But I really despise killing them, due to the fact I used to own a fair amount of them. I set a trap yestarday and heard the mouse slowly die. Horrible. Couldn't sleep...

And now, spiders crawl up the ****ING drain in my shower. It scares the shit out of me. But I turn the shower head on full power, and blast that sucker. Funny, I can kill insects quite easily.

05-05-2005, 01:26 AM
The Marching Mudokon
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2004
: Perth, Australia
: 481
The Marching Mudokon  (10)

I get tons of spiders where I live, a lot of them poisinous too. My mum gets freaked out when there's a massive huntsmen in the house and I usually have to get them out. I don't really like killing them because I don't usually have trouble with them. I also get a lot of Red Back spiders which is a pain in the ass.

05-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

:
I can't stand to have large spiders, harvestmen or crane flies creeping or lurching about the house, so I usually trap them in a glass and show them out the door, just as I would with any other arthropod. Nothing gives me the right to remove their life.

That's why I could never be a gardener. The snails are only trying to survive. That's not a crime.
Oh I agree. Often I spend time waving the moronic flies to get out the window instead of cranking out the fly spray.
It's not like they try to piss us off.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz