sgrsnaes
Zappfly

: Apr 2002
: London, UK
: 14
sgrsnaes  (10)
Happy Wanna be in a book on Abe?

Hey there,

I'm lucky enough to be working as a researcher on a project about understanding computer games. All the work that we are doing on this project is going to appear in a book (at the end of the project).

I'm going to be writing a whole Chapter about 'Lovin Abe' (not literally!) and I want to hear from other fans and why they love the game soooo much!

Does anyone want to reply to this message and tell me a little bit about themselves (gender, age, how long they have played Oddworld) and if you'd be happy for me to e-mail you to ask you some more questions.

Or just e-mail me on gareth.scott@lineone.net and I'll get back to you.

Either way I'll e-mail people back. I just want to know what people think really.

Anyone whose comments I eventually use in the Chapter will definately get an acknowledgement in the book (I'll seek your permission first)

does that sound cool?!?

Last edited by sgrsnaes; 04-29-2002 at 05:20 AM..
04-29-2002, 11:47 AM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

Sounds cool! I am a male, 14 years old, and I've been playing oddworld games since AO. I enjoy the surreal atmosphere with its simalarities to our world. The characters are original and likable, easy to relate to. The struggle between big buissness and the little guy. The humor envolved with the stories makes them all the better, while staying dark. I also enjoy the promise of a quintology, so I can anticipate the games beforethey come out.
04-29-2002, 02:33 PM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

: Scrabania (Germany)
: 316
pinkgoth2  (10)
Happy Re: Wanna be in a book on Abe?

:
Originally posted by sgrsnaes
I'm going to be writing a whole Chapter about 'Lovin Abe' (not literally!) and I want to hear from other fans and why they love the game soooo much! :fuzsmile: Does anyone want to reply to this message and tell me a little bit about themselves (gender, age, how long they have played Oddworld) and if you'd be happy for me to e-mail you to ask you some more questions.
I always give my 2 €cents worth anyway.

I'm 17, female, live in germany, yet always bought Oddworld in english if possible, even though the synchronization of - the only game I know it of: - Munch's Oddysee is spectacular.
I love Oddworld because of the fantasy, the creativity behind it. My favorite creature is the most savage: the scrab. For me, the scrab is a symbol of nature's power, which mirrors itself in my life philosophy, one of the instinct and the carnal.
Back when I first played Oddworld, I fell in love with the graphics. It's one of the most beautiful things in the 2D games with Abe - the background images, especially of Scrabania and the Free Fire Zone, perfections of red and blue hues respectively.
The last reason I love Oddworld is because of the mystery. I don't think Oddworld Inhabitants will ever reveal all of Oddworld to us, as the players of the games. There will always be places unknown you can theorize about - whether Meeches have survived in some spot on Mudos, or Oddworld in general; or just how many moons there are, or what happened in the time when the Mudokons ruled - surely there were corruptions too, albeit in a different category. It's so open. Philosophically, socially, geographically, astronomically and biologically... there will always be something left to explore.

- TyA

"Don't be careful, be immortal!" - Noko 440
"Pain is the best all-purpose preservative" - Devoto
avatar + banner pic © 2001 tya/neike satana

04-30-2002, 12:40 AM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

Here, you might want to put this in your project but don't worry about acknowledging or e-mailing me.

To me video gaming is the newest form of storytelling and also the best because each story is personalized to some extent. Some games are shallow just like some books and movies are. But not Oddworld. Oddworld is more than just a game. Soccer is a game, Monopoly is a game. Oddworld is an entire world created by a brilliant mind who simply chose to turn it into an interactive video as apposed to writing a story. When games actually develope characters that people care about you know something was done right. Oddworld is one example of a game done right.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

04-30-2002, 01:46 AM
Dequibenzo
Sniper Wasp

: Feb 2002
: Colorado
: 283
Dequibenzo  (10)

Whoo, a chance to talk about meself and Oddworld! Yee ha! And I love getting E-mail, proves that the rest of the world still exists.

I'm Male, 18, live in Colorado, and love video games more than is really healthy. Always have, probably always will. I joined Oddworld with Abe's Exoddus, when I first got my playstation, oh, two or three years ago. Instantly it blew me away as a great game on the usual standards- gameplay, overall design, original storyline- but the best part, the element that sets it apart, is the incredible level of escapism. Just like Pinkgoth was saying, the fact that they've created an entire other world is simply amazing, and the level of emotional involvement with the player makes it that much more real to us. In a day and age where the commercial values and pop appeal of mass media storytelling are being exploited to near the breaking points, with characters and settings that could be truly artistic being broken down and harvested as intellectual property, Oddworld reminds us of what it takes to make a classic story, no matter what the medium. You have to create your world, truly make it real for yourself, then, when you let the visitors in, engage them, trap them, make them want more. A true storyteller creates the universe, then uses the story to explore it, and that is exactly what OWI has done.

Actually, there's something like twenty reasons I love Oddworld, but that's just the shortest one.
04-30-2002, 06:31 AM
sgrsnaes
Zappfly

sgrsnaes  (10)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have sent private meassages (to those who don't mind) about how I'd like to get more of your opinions on Abe. What has been said so far has been really interesting and helpful ... Cheers.

Those who research games (and there aren't many of them) always study the same games - Lara, Doom, Quake ... its definately time for Abe to make his mark! None of these people ever ask the people who love games for their opinions. I know what I think about Oddworld but I'm not going to say that is what everybody else thinks.

Keep em comin

05-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Silversnow
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: Closer than you think..
: 1,046
Silversnow  (11)
*mumble..*

Hmm... funny... Go ahead and PM me. Don't email, since I just delete them all..

I'm female, 12 years and I live in Sweden. I've been playing Oddworld since I was about 8 maybe 9, but AO was newly released here. The reason I liked the game, was that it contained so many surprises and possibilities. I haven't played any other game where you can kill your friends with a enemys body. But, that was just part of the fun! Mainly, I sat here in front of the computer and laughed at Abe and the comments overall. I was young back then and didn't care of the craphics, but I do now. Amazing, that's the word for it. And, for the top, Oddworld made my fantasy wake up. You have no idea how far Oddworld has helped me. It's not just a regular game, as so many already has said. It's a world, with possibilities for you and itself.

05-05-2002, 12:38 PM
VykerSawBones
Boombat

: Mar 2002
: In the middle of Nowhere
: 223
VykerSawBones  (10)

we forgot to welcome him to the forums !!WELCOME!!
05-05-2002, 08:22 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

I'm a Male age 14, I've been playing oddworld since I was 9 years old and I love drawing Oddworld environments, creatures and characters. I bought an Xbox for munch, and halo, and can't wait until all the Oddworld games are released. I have also started a fan project of making oddworld figures.
05-06-2002, 03:53 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

: Dec 2001
: Turku, Finland
: 492
Fazerina  (22)
Happy

I just wrote a long story of my Oddworld fanhood for you, but I thought it'd be better if I sent it to you by e-mail, so I did...

Feel free to ask, if you didn't understand something, or if you just want to know more.
05-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Well, Im a male, 15, and I live in Florida.

Hmmm...what can I say about video games. First off I guess I could say that I think that video games are the art form of the future, if I could (and seince I can...that makes on sense)I would compare these past few years of video gaming to the renesance. Video games can be away of telling your feelings and realeasing your creativity, in Lorne Lannings case its getting his point across that our world is in bad shape and if we don't do anything about it then where basicly going to commit our own destruction. The reason I love Abe (as well as all the other Oddworld characters) is because he is trying to get his point across and end all the horrible thins that Inhabitants are doing to others, thier world, and themselves. Abe shows that even the lowlyest of people can make a big differance and no matter how mean, shy, racist, or angry you are you still will be equal with everyone else in this world, you can have all the power and money you want but in the end you still will have nothing.

Wheew, there hope thats good enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

Last edited by Oddsville; 05-07-2002 at 09:50 AM..
05-07-2002, 07:35 AM
sgrsnaes
Zappfly

sgrsnaes  (10)
Thanks for the WELCOME

Cheers for the WELCOME

and thanks again everybody for the messages and e-mails.

Keep em comin ...
JUST send an e-mail to gareth.scott@lineone.net and TITLE it 'ABE BOOK' and I'll reply with my Questions.

Ta
Gareth

05-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

Eh, well, I've kind-of rambled an explanation before, so...

Here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/keaalu/odd/whys.html

(Eh, I just realised that this is the old page (I have yet to transfer it over to the new host for that part of my site) so none of the "back" links work. This is the new index page for interested peoples)

05-07-2002, 09:49 PM
oddling
Clakker Relic Miner

: May 2002
: In my own little world
: 818
oddling  (10)
Happy Abe book

Hi I'm Ronnie!I am a 10 year old femail and got got Abe's Oddysee
a week after it came out and am currently in SoulStorm Brewery blowing up sligs and myself.I am in 5th grade and me and my best friend Sean make oddworld comics.To name a few there is Stupid Glukkon(After Mullok got zaped by that thing we pretended it stupified him)Smelly Slig,and Mr.Security Orb.i live in Whitehall Pennsylvania.I think video games are like a portal to another world.You turn it on and it seems like you are actually Abe or whatever main character your playing.They are like the paintings of the millenium.Video games are getting so advanced I'm actually afraid of what might be next!!I mean I'm playing Abe's Exoddus and my mom comes down and says they played games about a little yellow circle that ate dots and got chased by blobs,when she just stares at my game whatching me get chased by sligs and save Mudokons.Sorry if my letters to long.iI get carried away sometimes.I hope I helped!
Ronnie
"But why is the coffee gone?!!" Pillows of the Caribbean

05-13-2002, 05:40 PM
munch man Abe
Bolamite

: May 2002
: 58
munch man Abe  (10)
Oddworld hMMMMMM OK

Male 15 cover name munch e-mail adress xsonicandtailsx@aol.com a first grader with a slog is funny but a kindergardener with a scrab is just all that and a bag of chips
05-15-2002, 11:42 AM
sgrsnaes
Zappfly

sgrsnaes  (10)
Cool

I've sent you my 10 questions.
Look forward to getting the replies.

Gareth

05-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I awnsered but you didn't replied to my message

05-18-2002, 08:04 AM
dumboddrw2
Fuzzle

: scotland
: 122
dumboddrw2  (10)

I am 13,Drew is my name.

I love Oddworld because: It is the only game to feature GameSpeak and farts. It is a fantasy game,but not with gay pixies and fairies. Instead,it has varied and original enviroments. Magnificent factories and forrests make the backdrop for an amazing storyline that interests you.

Also,the game has a mini-eco system. The Sligs control the slogs,the glukkons control the sligs etc... And possesing ANYTHING adds a whole new element of greatness.

Finally...the humor,although sometimes a bit over-the top is generally hilarious. Watch the movies in AE and see what I mean!

09-02-2004, 02:06 PM
BarracksLeader000
Zappfly

: Aug 2004
: 123fake street,Jerseycity,NJ
: 5
BarracksLeader000  (10)
Happy SURE!

cool!!! o.k i am a male, age 11, though i am mature for my age.
i started playing oddworld just about when it came out for playstation, so i guess you could say i grew up with oddworld! well i love oddworld because i love its quirky humor, mild language, the addiction (especially abes oddysee,abes exoddus), its slight scent of horror(only found in abes oddysee and exodduss),SUPER COOL plots,its insignificant heroes(abe), its intense difficulty, and not to mention such cool characters that look so awsome!all of them! and there feakish abilitys, and not to mention the fact that you have no weapons, have too look out for you buddies without any of them dying, and most of all the ability to posses and transform with abe, and to zap with munch
09-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

BarracksLeader000, this topic has been untouched for over 2 years. It is far from current. Why you brought it up is mind boggling, but since you're new, and young, I'll catch you a break. Check when a thread was posted before you reply.