Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

08-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Mar 2004
: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

Like OWI said, Stranger will be goofey, but also dark. On the map, dose that mean you'll be able to characters and objecs move on the map in real time?

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

08-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

: Jun 2004
: Canada
: 84
Eriken  (10)

@Oddguy - What, I'm not allowed to not like the direction they're taking the game? Oh nos! A bunch of "professional gamers" say it's good. They must be right, being "PROFESSIONAL GAMERS" and everything.

Here's a thought. Maybe everyone doesn't agree with all the bullshit Gamespy and IGN post on a regular basis.

Oh, and didn't you just waste your time anyways by coming up with an insulting retort? You twat.

@Tim H.C. - You're a moron and need to get a grasp of a little concept known as "english".

@Max the Mug - I was referencing to the time when everyone was ranting about how great the cinematics looked and I informed them that that's not how the ingame graphics would be and they all jumped on me for being some perpetual downer.
08-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

you are a perpetual downer.

You've said all this before. It does not need to be repeated. You're just getting annoying quite frankly.

08-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Cyber-Slig

: Jul 2004
: Mongolia
: 1,225
Cyber-Slig  (10)

Angry noobie aint he?Listen this is called ODDWORLD forums we damn like oddworld.We dont like you badmouthing it in anyway.This isnt shitty gamespy or IGN.Do the math
08-08-2004, 09:28 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

:
GTA : San Andreas (Take Two), Gran Turismo 4 (Sony), Metal Gear Solid 3 (Konami), Doom 3 (Activision), Half-Life 2 (Vivendi Universal Games), Halo 2 (Microsoft), Metroid Prime 2 (Nintendo), Fable (Microsoft)

O_O *shifts eyes*

you forgot- Conker: Live and Reloaded (Rareware)
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

08-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Im gettin conker.definetly.I love that lil' squirrel
08-09-2004, 09:41 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

:
@Oddguy - What, I'm not allowed to not like the direction they're taking the game? Oh nos! A bunch of "professional gamers" say it's good. They must be right, being "PROFESSIONAL GAMERS" and everything.

Here's a thought. Maybe everyone doesn't agree with all the bullshit Gamespy and IGN post on a regular basis.

Oh, and didn't you just waste your time anyways by coming up with an insulting retort? You twat.
I was just saying that some guy actually played the game, and you didn't. So maybe the one who actually got to play the game knows more than you.

On another note, I've never been called a 'twat' before. Today is a good day!

-oddguy

08-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

:
You've said all this before. It does not need to be repeated. You're just getting annoying quite frankly.
I thought that was the whole point.

:
Angry noobie aint he?Listen this is called ODDWORLD forums we damn like oddworld.We dont like you badmouthing it in anyway.This isnt shitty gamespy or IGN.Do the math
Ok.. so I get reamed out for making the same statements and complaints that others make, and I'm the only one labeled an "angry noobie"? How exactly does that work?
Get a brain, kid. Everyone else was complaining about the graphics long before I was when someone posted the first in-game screenshots here. I actually defended the graphics until I found out that they were taken from a near final build of the Xbox version. Oddworld Inhabitants is supposed to be reknowned for it's ability to pump out great looking games. Stranger falls far short of that.

:
I was just saying that some guy actually played the game, and you didn't. So maybe the one who actually got to play the game knows more than you.
Yeah, and the gameplay may very well be quite fun. But with all the information we have so far, the "live ammo" system sounds like a gimmick and something you'd find in a kid's game. I could understand a gun that shoots beatles or other bugs and stuff, but a crossbow that launches trash talking squirrels is just retarded.

Sorry if I don't share your grand opinion and devote fanboyish approach to Oddworld, but Stranger looks like it will be a disappointment to the testament that Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus put out.
08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

:
I could understand a gun that shoots beatles or other bugs and stuff, but a crossbow that launches trash talking squirrels is just retarded.
the squirrelz dun talk
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

08-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Actually, trash talking Chippunkz could only have come from Oddworld. The same goes for the stereo systems that they are equipped with when they are upgraded to Howlerpunkz. In all honesty, I only imagine Oddworld could come up with such a humourous, and slapstick take-off.

The only thing I don't like, is the upgrades found in boxes.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

08-12-2004, 07:51 AM
RavenMM
Thudslug

: Aug 2003
: England
: 196
RavenMM  (10)

all this talk about XBOX an PS2 what the hell happen to the PC FANS!! why not release on PC too

08-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

That's a good question, Raven. I'm guessing EA only pushed for a PS2 release. Maybe if some company comes along and offers to port to the PC, then EA/OWI would consider it.

08-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
I've lost all interest in Stranger. Like I was saying waaay back, the ingame graphics won't look as good as the cinematics, and recent screenshots have proven this. And if what Mr. Lanning said is correct, those are almost final Xbox version shots. Jak 2 on PS2 is bigger than Liberty City in GTA3 and still has better graphics than Stranger.
And no, I'm not just being a graphics whore. The gameplay looks flawed as well. The live ammo system looks like a gimmick, and I was hoping for a more serious, yet still odd, tone. Stranger would be perfect for that, but it once again looks like it'll appeal to a more childish audience, utilizing slap stick comedy instead of something more mature.
I'll agree with some of that. I've lost alot of interest in stranger for a few reasons. One, I don't honestly care that much about games anymore and two the ingame shots I've seen look boring and not what I was expecting. Concerning the slapstick thing, I think a bit of comedy is fine. But let's not go MO on it if you guys know what I mean.
08-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

Slapstick is fine. But the reason I was interested in Stranger was because it looked like a darker game. Stranger looks like a badass. He shouldn't be running around with skunks and chipmunks for ammo and a giant vacuum for catching bounties. His character design doesn't match up with it.

As for the graphics, if they'd transferred the sunset/orangey overtone from the cinematics that we've seen into the ingame graphics, it woulda looked a helluva lot better than trying to make everything all colorful (and failing horribly, as the color looks too bland and the lack of dynamic lighting makes me wanna puke).

Like I said, if OWI is supposed to be known for it's great artistic achievements, this definitely isn't one of them.
08-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I simply don't agree with you... but if you LOVE graphic soo much, go play DOOM 3 and his boring and repetitive gameplay...

plus I think the Stranger character design fits the game very good, and the live ammo is funny, not childish

08-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

:
but if you LOVE graphic soo much, go play DOOM 3 and his boring and repetitive gameplay...
That doesn't exactly solve anything now, does it?

The sunset/orangy lighting we've seen in art does of course look very good, and perhaps they will include this in game. I wouldn't put it past OWI to have a day/night cycle, where the orangy lighting would certainly occur often enough.

08-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Ive never actually been interested in stranger for one second.I dont even think its oddworld..but that doesnt mean ''Hey oddguy youre a twat cos u said that and I hate this game cos of blablablabla'' .

Last edited by Wil; 08-12-2004 at 09:31 PM.. : Far too much pleasantness
08-12-2004, 12:27 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

: Umm...what?
: 494
the brew master  (10)

:
I would prefer the game to have a 2005 release rather than a 2004 release. More time means more publicity
gee HL2 must have be in the record books then..........."The Game that wasn't there" lol

Whats stopping you?

08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

:
gee HL2 must have be in the record books then..........."The Game that wasn't there" lol
Half Life has become the next Duke Nukem Forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even released next year.

:
but if you LOVE graphic soo much, go play DOOM 3 and his boring and repetitive gameplay.
Boy you people are nearsighted. The graphics aren't my only problem with the game. No, I don't think they meet the standards set by other Oddworld games, but so what? It's the basic premise of the game that I don't like. I was hoping for Stranger to be the next Solid Snake, not Mr. Rogers running around saying "Guns are bad, mmkay" and carrying a vacuum to suck up bad guys. It seems more like Mario Sunshine than Oddworld.

Last edited by Wil; 08-12-2004 at 09:30 PM.. : Niceness
08-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

Anyways, addressing the original question, it appears that the Xbox version is pretty much done and the extra time actually is for the PS2 port. So EA is likely the ones responsible for holding off the release, just as they're responsible for everything else you people seem to not like. I'd sooner blame OWI for being so desperate for a producer that they'd abandon whatever standards they've come to abide by.

Last edited by Wil; 08-12-2004 at 09:30 PM.. : Being overly nice
08-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

There, I took the liberty of getting rid of all the astounding niceness Eriken and Cyber-Slig have been exchanging. If you two want to continue your little adventure, keep it to PMs.

08-13-2004, 03:01 AM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

:
. I was hoping for Stranger to be the next Solid Snake, not Mr. Rogers running around saying "Guns are bad, mmkay" and carrying a vacuum to suck up bad guys. It seems more like Mario Sunshine than Oddworld.
How can you say that when you don't even have any clue of the storyline yet? True, Stranger could end up being its own Mario Sunshine but OWI have said they wanted to make this game much darker and add alot more plot twists. So far all you've seen is only two aspects of gameplay and your already judging it, there's still pleanty of time before it comes to release and things could change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

Last edited by Oddsville; 08-13-2004 at 03:07 AM..
08-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

I agreee with your vacuum can points, Eriken. I was really surprised to hear it, and it instantly reminded me of that cartoony Xbox game where you get crystals in roder to control time. On it, you suck up enemies with a similar device (I think?).
The vacuum can is the only let-down for me so far, and I will easily overlook it.

08-13-2004, 07:25 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I must be an oddworld fanboy as Eriken called me, because I really don't have a problem with the game in any way. From what I've seen, I'm more excited than ever to get my hands on Stranger.

-oddguy

08-13-2004, 07:32 AM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

:
There, I took the liberty of getting rid of all the astounding niceness Eriken and Cyber-Slig have been exchanging. If you two want to continue your little adventure, keep it to PMs.
You know, censorship was also used by Joseph Stalin during his communist rule of the Soviet Union. Welcome to totalitarianism, comrad.

:
How can you say that when you don't even have any clue of the storyline yet? True, Stranger could end up being its own Mario Sunshine but OWI have said they wanted to make this game much darker and add alot more plot twists. So far all you've seen is only two aspects of gameplay and your already judging it, there's still pleanty of time before it comes to release and things could change.
Explain to me where I mentioned anything about the story. Please.
I could care less if the game had a better story than Metal Gearl Solid. I play games for gameplay. If I wanted story, I'd go watch a movie. And so far, the gameplay looks childish at best. I only hope they do the hand to hand combat right. It may be the saving grace of the game.
And no, there isn't "pleanty of time" before it's released. The Xbox version is supposedly virtually done, and all remaining time is supposed to be for the conversion to PS2. According to Lorne Lanning, at least.

Last edited by Eriken; 08-13-2004 at 07:36 AM..
08-13-2004, 07:36 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
You know, censorship was also used by Joseph Stalin during his communist rule of the Soviet Union. Welcome to totalitarianism, comrad.
And it's also used by this forum. Read the rules, pal.

http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=10472

Be a good lad and you won't have to be censored.

-oddguy

08-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Eriken
Stingbee

Eriken  (10)

Read em, don't care. Any list of rules that includes "Do not post anything directed at single members" doesn't instill much confidence in the administration. If it were to be reworded as "Do not post anything offensive directed at single members", then it'd be a touch better. But as it stands, you've just broken rule #8.
Stop addressing my person as a single member or I'll have the big bad super-mods warn you.
08-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

The "Do not post anything directed at single members" has a double meaning. Not only is it to stop anything offensive / racist / etc from being targetted at a single member, but is also alludes to idle chit-chat between one or two members. We class that as spam, as the remainder of the community cannot share in the discussion.

Oddguy had every right to respond how he did. Although I'd prefer it to be via Private Messaging, or brought to my attention.

Could we please resume the topic, before it was rudely interupted. Going off-topic in such an "unnatural" way (whereby someone purposely changes / steers a topic into digression) is against the rules. It's called spamming. Further digressing will be punished.

Eriken, if you have any problems with our system of rules, please, by all means feel free to Private Message me your opinions.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

08-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Fuzzles!
Howler Punk

: 329
Fuzzles!  (10)

:
Boy you people are nearsighted. The graphics aren't my only problem with the game. No, I don't think they meet the standards set by other Oddworld games, but so what? It's the basic premise of the game that I don't like. I was hoping for Stranger to be the next Solid Snake, not Mr. Rogers running around saying "Guns are bad, mmkay" and carrying a vacuum to suck up bad guys. It seems more like Mario Sunshine than Oddworld.
It's too bad you seem to have your mind all made-up months before the game is even released. Most people are at least willing to keep an open mind in regards to Stranger.

Nearsighted is right.

Anyways OT yes it's a shame that the Xbox release seems to be held up for the PS2 version..then again it's a darn shame it's even going to PS2 and who knows maybe all the the 'problems' people are having with the game are a result of it being on both platforms...we'll never really know.

VaniLLaKiLLah rocks! She made my sig!

08-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

:

Explain to me where I mentioned anything about the story. Please.
I could care less if the game had a better story than Metal Gearl Solid. I play games for gameplay. If I wanted story, I'd go watch a movie. And so far, the gameplay looks childish at best. I only hope they do the hand to hand combat right. It may be the saving grace of the game.
And no, there isn't "pleanty of time" before it's released. The Xbox version is supposedly virtually done, and all remaining time is supposed to be for the conversion to PS2. According to Lorne Lanning, at least.

Yes but all you've seen of it is Stranger running around a fort. Nowhere near enough reason to criticize and whine about it. Some of the ideas my look corny but wait untill you've seen alittle bit more gameplay before you make your assumptions. As for your complaints on the graphics, well you have no clue what stage of development that gameplay was in nor have you seen the game in motion (clearly anyways). Wait longer before you critique something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY