Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

06-29-2004, 06:40 AM
drakan90
Bola Blast

: Jun 2003
: UK
: 441
drakan90  (10)
Question Munch's Oddysee. More like a game, is that lame?

Wow I'm clever with my rhyming and such...
Anyway...

I was wondering, all you guys (and gals) who own and have extensively played MO, do the cartoon-ness and more game like bits make the game less beleivable than the others? I have heard of the fact that vendos are placed just where you need them, and that theres no in game explanation for it, and that you must repeatedly grow spooce etc. Y'know, stuff that makes it seem more like a game than a story? In the other games, for example, y'know there was falling bits of meat in AO, but in the screen before it says "Grinding area" (or something similiar) to explain it?

Is this more game like approach a downer on MO? And do you think they'll end up making the same mistakes in Stranger?
(Ooh a deep and thoughful thread...)
06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

Well, I'll let Max cope with all the cartoon-like imperfections. He's so good at it

As for Stranger, Lorne saw how much of a disapointment MO was and acknowledges his mistakes. He won't make the same mistakes again, that's why he's aiming for every chance he gets to have more working time with Stranger and shape it into his vision perfectly. Stranger won't turn into another MO, it's far from it in many ways. According to Abe Babe, it's very different from the Oddworld we know but shows that only Oddworld could craft such a game.

06-29-2004, 12:32 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

We all know Munch wasn't what it was supposed to be. Why do we have to discuss it over and over? Pointless. I do not wish to dwell on the past; quite the contrary...I look forward to Stranger and the future of Oddworld.

-oddguy

06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Shell Man
Thudslug

: Feb 2004
: Seattle
: 172
Shell Man  (10)

Hopefully Stranger will revive all those cool moments you experienced in AO and AE, like the solitude of the Monsaic Lines and Necrum, and just the overall immense feeling of the size of Oddworld.

06-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Fuzzles!
Howler Punk

: Mar 2004
: Canada
: 329
Fuzzles!  (10)

I didn't think MO was lame at all. I thought it was a great game, it just happened to be very different from AO and AE and hey, it's the game that got me into Oddworld. So it has a special place in my heart for sure!!!!

VaniLLaKiLLah rocks! She made my sig!

06-30-2004, 04:30 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

It was a fun game, but I didn't appreciate collecting and following paths of spooce, nor did I appreciate teleportation icons with Abe's and Munch's head on it.
In Stranger, I don't think they will make the same mistakes. MO was a lapse, and Stranger is meant to feature a fully explorative world, designed for you to explore it thus voiding the need for impossibly high cliffs, spooce trails and teleport symbols.

06-30-2004, 07:09 AM
drakan90
Bola Blast

: 441
drakan90  (10)

Okay, just wondering.
06-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Dualist
Fuzzle

: Jun 2004
: In a Stranger world
: 105
Dualist  (10)

I haven't played Munch's Odysee, but from what I saw it looks kind of like the previous Oddworld games on the Playstation. A sad intro, and looks like some cool gameplay, but Lorne said it was the heartbreak of the series and when Stranger comes around I think those mistakes from MO wouldn't be there.

You know Abe Babe's playable test with Stranger, she said its like nothing we have ever seen in an action game. I can't wait.

As for if it's more of a game, I think that might be the case. I haven't seen many cutscenes but there was no cinematics or story during the gameplay. So Lorne wanted to add that element to Stranger.
06-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
Well, I'll let Max cope with all the cartoon-like imperfections. He's so good at it
...I mean, why would Abe or Munch even look at the camera? That makes no sense! What?...hey!

To answer the question, I don't think the cartooniness took away from the realism of the story, which was great, even if watered down. The cut scenes were all great - there just should have been more of them! It's the in-game silliness that bamboozles me. Like Esus said, I can't appreciate teleporters with our heroes' heads printed on them lurking just outside of each CEO's office. I refuse to believe they existed, and like the numbers that float above the characters' heads, is purely demonstrative/metaphorical. Or, whatever, you know, it's just a game, man. :S