Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)
Humshrubs in Gameplay

We all read about Humshrubs over at the official Microsoft website... and now we are seeing them in the new movies and images. This time we see a more "green" variety of Humshrub as different to the pink ones previously seen.

On looking at this image...

screenshot 2

I have come to realize that part of the game play would be to actually "collect" the Humshrubs.

The "Bounce" vending machine allows you to jump higher... therefore enabling you to jump up and reach the Humshrubs on the side of the cliff.

And in the movie where Munch runs through the Scrab herd you see some of the Humshrubs disapprear as he rolls over them.

We read that the Mudokons harvest these for Spooce Cannons, but it just hit me now that this will be one of the things that you will be getting Abe and Munch to do in the game. It could be that you cannot use a Spooce Cannon until you have collected enough Humshrubs... or maybe the number you collect depends on how many times you can fire the Spooce Cannon.

Abe Babe...

[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: Abe Babe ]

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-30-2001, 03:38 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Apr 2001
: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

I agree, Abe Babe. I guess the Humshrubs are full of spooce, the material/energy native people of Oddworld use to run facilities, machines and weapons. So, we will have to use Abe/Munch to collect these humshrubs to increase his spooce status or good quarma status, making Abe/Much able to do special things or making their abilities more powerful...

They are placed in a way that forms a kind of pathway, almost indicating where Abe and Munch have to go.

When I first heard about how big and vast MO landscapes will be, I started to think about how are we not going to be easily lost, and the humshrubs indicating the overall path(and the goals of that particular level) seems to be a good solution.

Of course, after collecting all the little thing, ther is nothing anymore to mark the pathway, but I gues that then, we will be used to the environment...

***Lampion goes off to meditate about all these new informations... ***

[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: Lampion ]
04-30-2001, 05:48 AM
Steel Shark 100
Fuzzle

: California, and Europe
: 120
Steel Shark 100  (11)

Hi Lampion and Abe Babe. I think you're both on to something.

However I want to have that lost feeling in a vast and mysterious world.The game would be too linear if it was plotted out with Humschrubs. You know to on the tracks kind of thing , like that former exclusive mascot of Sony.( I just could'nt resist, sorry.)

I want options, freedom to choose my path. Now collecting Humshrubs would be a nice side bonus game or quest for extra rewards or something of that nature.

Anyway just a simple thought.
04-30-2001, 06:31 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

When Munch wheeled his wheelchair over the Humshrubs, they kind of "popped." Underneath them was a little white thing, I wonder what the white thing is. It looked kind of like a pearl.

04-30-2001, 01:15 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)

? Humshrubs? CAn you tell me a bit more about that? And what´s spooce. I know it has to do with chanting and what´s spooce canon?

04-30-2001, 02:56 PM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

Maybe their some kind of ammo/energy. the more you collect, the more you can chant, shoot, jump, ...
+ they show you the way

04-30-2001, 05:16 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Spooce is the 'currency' used by the Mudokons, and maybe some other species. All Mudokons appear to have some psychic power (like Abe did in Abe's Oddysee), but this power can be greatly increased by a) people with more psychic power, and b) Spooce.

Spooce is gained by collecting, harvesting, or bursting the humshrubs, small fungi-like plants. Once the Pooce has been collected, that character owns more Spooce, and therefor has more psychic power and ability.

The Supernatural Spooce Cannon is a device that may or may not appear in the finished game, but was mentioned once. What it does is it turns industial creatures into their victims. So, it would turn Molluck into a Scrab or Paramite or whatever, a Vykker into a Fuzzle, and so on. Presumably, to use this almighty machine in Munch's Oddysee you have to collect a certain amount of Spooce.

I saw your white stuff, Sydney, as green sparks. Or haven't I noticed something?

04-30-2001, 09:25 PM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

Lampion  (11)

Hi, folks!

Sydney, I also noticed the little thing that remains after a humshrub is collected by Munch. I guess it is a kind of humshrub seed because...

...One of the seven new movies at gamespot shows Abe chanting near to one of those seeds, making it grow up again into a new full developed humshrub. He actually does that three times.

[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: Lampion ]
04-30-2001, 10:43 PM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

http://www.oddworldian.net/oddworldf...m/00000002.gif

HOW YOU MAKE THAT!?

05-01-2001, 12:29 AM
Elum
Spark Stunk

: USA
: 373
Elum  (12)

Photoshop Dakkan.

I was watching the movies again today with my schools T1 connection. In all the new movies, abe and munch walk and role over the humshrubs...and yea they pop. So...if they pop, how would they be collecting them? Unless they kept the pearl things somewhere. Abe has his little pouch, maybe Munch has a pouch on his wheelchair.

05-01-2001, 01:12 AM
Steel Shark 100
Fuzzle

Steel Shark 100  (11)

Max the Mug,you are the true human Encyclopedia of Oddworld. Abe Babe you got to give Max an extra 10 post credit for his input. I mean Max just gave out the detailed goods. End of topic, how can there be a better and or correct answer.

Send max to the top of the class dudes and dudettes.
05-01-2001, 02:04 AM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

: Tacoma, WA
: 456
Osiris The Fleech  (12)

Let's give a round of applause for max. Yaaaayyy.

Zorak: You don't want me to play ya to the desk?

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

05-01-2001, 05:49 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

Thanks for the info Max, although I do see one small mistake:
:
a) people with more psychic power
There are no people on Oddworld.

[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: Pacen ]
05-01-2001, 06:33 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

yes there are. there are no HUMANS, but 'people' includes mudokons, gabbits, glukkons, sligs, vykkers, interns... anything intelligent, basically.

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

05-02-2001, 09:10 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

It does? Well I'm wrong and I'm sorry. I've heard it used referring to non-humans but it just doesn't sound right in this context.
05-02-2001, 02:23 PM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

Lampion  (11)

Another bit of info on humshrubs from the new movies:

when Much "collect" the humshrubs, they just pop up in green sparks, leaving a little white seed.
But when Abe collect them, a green number appears above his head, showing the number of humshrubs he has collected so far. You can see that in three different movies:
  • The movie with the KLIMB power up
  • The movie with the BOUNCE power up
  • and the one where Abe chants to develop the humshrubs seeds into a full grown up Humshrub.

I guess you have to download them to see the green numbers above Abe's head, because the streaming version has a very poor quality.
05-02-2001, 04:03 PM
Steel Shark 100
Fuzzle

Steel Shark 100  (11)

Lampion you should be a detective. Between you and Max I would'nt want you two after me. Soo efficient and observant.
05-02-2001, 09:38 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

i noticed that too. i am glad that they have a practical use in the game. it would have been boring if they were just part of the scenery.