04-28-2001, 02:48 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)
Time zones on Oddworld

Ow is ten time bigger than earth. Earth has time zones. So Ow has to have this, too. I'm wondering how many the have. We don't know how long a day on OW is. or if they also have hours, minuites and secs like on earth. Perhaps they count the time different. I'm also wondering how long a Oddworld year is. And how many years allready passed on OW.I wonder how they count their years. Perhaps the year 0 is really the year when the savior's birth was.

04-28-2001, 02:56 PM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

HMMM i know just as much as you on this topic. I guess the only person who could know this is somone at OWI. we can only give theorys

04-28-2001, 03:15 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

i don't expect even they know.

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

04-28-2001, 05:02 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

freakyLA  (11)

Well I think they know but they were never thinkink about that

04-29-2001, 05:50 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

"And there I was, in the final hour" or something similar. This proves they have similar units of time as on Earth. Although it doesn't tell us much about how long an hour on Oddworld is, it could be from about 3 minutes (or however long the game takes to finish after that point).
04-29-2001, 03:34 PM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

: Tacoma, WA
: 456
Osiris The Fleech  (12)

Think. 10x24 = 240 time zones! Tada!

Zorak: You don't want me to play ya to the desk?

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

04-29-2001, 03:39 PM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

ill stick with.....oddworld only exists when you play it..

04-29-2001, 06:53 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

it depends how fast it spins, though...

04-29-2001, 08:09 PM
Godd
Stunk

: 44
Godd  (10)

besides seconds are used in both games, at the end at least, before all mudokons get kill.
and there are seasons, 'cause of that movie there is of a mudokon village through time, showing winter, fall, etc.
04-29-2001, 09:12 PM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

I see that Orisis is the only person here smart enough to use math to find the answer. God .... 10 times 24 = 240

04-30-2001, 02:36 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

In the opening movie of Abe's Oddysee I remember that Abe, who is kept prisioner of Mullock, said that his whole life changed in just one day (it means, from the time he discoverd all the truth about the new good and tasty products, made out of mudokons, and the "final hour").

When Abe reaches Stockayards, after scaping rupture farms, it's night. In the holy caves of Monsaic Lines, we can't say wether is day or night. but when Abe reaches Scarabania and Paramonia, it's already day. After completing his tasks, Abe gets back to Stockyard, in the beginning of the next night, completing one single day of journey in Rupture Farms again.
04-30-2001, 08:08 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

you can't do 10x24, because OW might spin faster than earth, in which case it may take less than 240 hours to rotate!

it all depends on spin time! which we don't know! size has nothing to do with it, as it still has to be the same number of time zones as there are hours in the day!

05-02-2001, 12:12 AM
iliodd
Thudslug

: Toronto
: 156
iliodd  (11)

I don't normally say this, but...

Come on. This is one of those inane minutia of Oddworldian life that really does not matter. I mean, it's neat to try to understand their world, but there's really no grounds for speculation here and no real conclusion to be reached.

05-02-2001, 12:21 AM
lady_elum
Bolamite

: 61
lady_elum  (10)

How did you figure out it was 10x bigger than earth?! how do you people figure this stuff out????
05-02-2001, 02:01 AM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

: Tacoma, WA
: 456
Osiris The Fleech  (12)

To rettick: Well excuuuuuuuse me!

To Lady Elum: It says somewhere on Oddworld.com

Zorak: You don't want me to play ya to the desk?

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

05-02-2001, 02:36 AM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

Let's not get techinal, let's just say oddworld day is about an estimated 240, a little smaller or bigger maybe.

05-02-2001, 04:16 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

There are so many factors that could determine how long Oddworld time is.
  • The time it takes for Oddworld to rotate
  • The time it takes for Oddworld to do an orbit of the solar systems
  • The amount of day/night that exists in that particular area of Oddworld (Mudos)
  • The length of time that Oddworldians use to measure time (i.e. how long their seconds, minutes, hours are)
  • Possibility of Oddworld having two suns instead of one

Actually no one ever could know this... even OWI probably never really thought about this. Thus the reason we see "earth" time measurements in the games, because that is all we they have to go on.

You would think that generally a planet that is that large would have longer times than Earth, but taking in some of the other points of I have mentioned above, the conclusions to this are certainly many!

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

05-02-2001, 05:32 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

freakyLA  (11)

There´s another fact: big planets with big masses erm well WHERE`S THE URL OF THIS TRANSLATION SITE!!!!????. This planets brek the time erm the make it slower. I think . But I´m not sure because this thing with the time I never understood. Ask Einstein!

05-02-2001, 05:35 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

freakyLA  (11)

Ah yes! I think the seconds in the game are just erth time. It isn´t Oddworldian time. It´s just to see how much time you have till you get erm gased up(killed)? Is "gased up the right word?