03-25-2004, 04:08 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)
I Pledge Alliegance, To the Flag...

So yeah, now there's this whole controversy about saying the pledge in school.

Some guy got mad because supposedly the school forced his daughter to say it, and he didn't like the "under God" part.

This is a bunch of malarky, I say. Both of my parents are teachers, and I'm currently in school...and I know for a fact you don't have to say it. All you have to do is stand up with everyone else. I don't say it in my classes, because personally I think it's dumb and I don't want to pledge anything to this damned country, but that's just me.

Eh, anyways...this guy is sueing the pubic schools because of this, and is very passionate about it...apparently his wife doesn't care. Sounds to me like he just wants a lawsuit.

Discuss.

03-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

right there with ya. Although if a school forces religion thats also kinda strange... If anyone would try to force me into religion they would be dead meat... I dont like to be forced.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

You have to say a pledge?!
Can you explain this please... I'm intrigued

03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

'Discuss.'

Whats a Discuss got to do with anything?

It's been a long time since i went to Primary school, but from what i remember all the kids are encouraged to believe in God. Prayers, hymns etc. And in my 3rd Primary school [which was a load of bollocks and i hope it burns down with the teachers inside] you were punished for not doing so. Now i wish i had the same views i did then, then i'd show the twats.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-25-2004, 12:37 PM
ANN NEELY
Sleg

: Dec 2002
: Hell
: 675
ANN NEELY  (14)

We have to say the pledge everyday. The horror, the excruciating horror...

03-25-2004, 12:46 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Here's the thing. Michael Newdow, the lawsuit guy, doesn't have legal custody of his daughter that was supposedly forced to say "under God." I've even heard that the mother, nor the daughter cares about this whole issue, it's just the father. I think Mr. Newdow is just using his daughter as a scapegoat to get what he wants, which is wrong in my opinion.

-oddguy

03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

I don't ever remember having to say the pledge in school and I was in Catholic Schools from grade school through High School.

The interesting thing about this is that the 'under god' part of the pledge wasn't in the original version of the pledge...it was added in 1954.

It's kind of catch 22 situation...you don't want to force those that don't believe in a higher power to participate in would could be considered religious rituals (for lack of a better term)...yet you don't want to deny those that are religious their right to perform those rituals.

The question here is this: Is the pledge in it's current form considered a 'religious ritual' because of the phrase 'under god'?

Personally...it doesn't really matter to me, since I do believe in a higher power (just not what the main stream religions believe). However I do admit that the fact that 'under god' didn't exist in the pledge until 1954 I find a tad disturbing. Reason being that it seems that during that time the right took advantage of the depression era to 'spread the Word' in an indirect way...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

03-25-2004, 01:46 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

: California
: 1,188
GrigtheSlig  (23)

I think it should be left in... otherwise I might get confused if they change it...

03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

I think all strict religion schools should be closed and turned into normal schools. Those who want to pray can pray at the beginning of the day, but noone is forced.

I remember when I was back in pre school, also super strict on the issue. I had to report every day cuz I wasnt paying attention to the prayers. So one day the teacher said I should join in like all others so I said I wasn't into religion. Then she said I would be better of somewhere els and she did'nt want me in class anymore. Took that offer with open arms and took the rest of the day off . (Hey, religion got me a day off! Cool!)
Never had any problems after that :P.

Don't get me wrong here, I dont think anything is wrong with religion. If ppl want to believe in God, Allah, Bodah or any other Gods be my guest, your free to do what you like right?

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

People overreact to it, that may as well be a given fact. The media overpopularizes the few random events that occur, and warp the facts completely. And anyways, the thing was added because of the Red Scare. Bah.
03-25-2004, 04:55 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
you don't want to force those that don't believe in a higher power to participate in would could be considered religious rituals (for lack of a better term)...yet you don't want to deny those that are religious their right to perform those rituals.
Perfect solution:

If you don't want to say the pledge, you don't have to.

Probelm Solved. Now gimmie the Nobel Piece prize and some moolah!

-oddguy

03-27-2004, 05:17 AM
Lucipher

: Sep 2003
: SE England,hampshire,yately
: 374
Lucipher  (10)

If anyone forced me to do anything they would be dead meat, by the way what does this pledge thing involve?
03-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

I lived in the States for 3 years, i never said that pledge once. It was much more fun to just sit and laugh at all the Americans.

03-27-2004, 06:59 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
what does this pledge thing involve?
You face the flag, take of any hat you may be wearing, and place your right hand against your heart and say this:

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

-oddguy

03-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

It is illegal in my state to have compulsory sayings of any pledge, its been like that for over half a decade. I personally would like to do away with the entire pledge. America is a land where everybody can think and pledge whatever they want to think and pledge so I have trouble seeing how quasi-fascist flag worship has anything to do with America's basic values.
Now, while I do agree with Michael Newdow I also think that hes a colossal tool and i wish him the worst of luck. Whenever I see this moron on t.v. its like I feel the intense drive to paraphrase the Big Lebowski constantly.(STFU NEWDOW!)
Ah well, the Statikk abides.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.