02-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)
Jesus wore stripey Socks...

Yes, what do you think of the film 'The Passion of Jesus'? I hear its already opened in America since the whole Colarado Church incident has been remarked on over here, so, was the film what you expected it to be? Do you think its anti-semitic? Would you have done anything different if you could?

When it comes out over here i am pondering on going to see it, although i am quite abit disappointed with Gibsons portrail of Lucifer, he is so obviously bad and wicked. Wearing a hood, pale face, lighting effects etc. When Lucifer is described as beautiful in Demonology scripts etc. Other than that it looks rather interesting.

The one thing i don't get is that the Jews are calling it anti-semitic. But if Gibson was following what the Bible actually said...then isn't the Bible actually anti-semitic? Besides, isn't the Bible supposed to be history...and if you believe in Jesus etc then you have to believe in the fact that the Jews aided in his death...

Discuss.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Lucipher

: Sep 2003
: SE England,hampshire,yately
: 374
Lucipher  (10)

I never heard of that movie before but when it comes out over here I will put it on my do not see list, and the potrail of lucifer sounds a bit cheesy to say the least. But I suppose I might see it depending on what it was, for example is it a biblical comedy like dogma or little nicky, or a serious thing like the omen(shudders).
02-26-2004, 09:40 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Finally someone brought this topic up, but I hardly expected it to be you, Jacob.

Anyway, I'm seeing the film this Sunday. I'll be able to make my judgement on it then. Although, I'm getting annoyed that people are saying that it's anti-semitic. Bah, the jews did put Christ to death. It's history. If Gibson took it out to conform to political correctness, then he'd still be persecuted. He's damned either way. The thing is, I hear it's not anti-semitic at all. Jesus says to love everyone in the film, and a jew even helps Jesus carry the burden of the cross part of the way...making a jewish character heroic.

Now that the anti-semitism argument doesn't hold up, people are saying that the film is too violent. I remember one critic saying, his name escapes me at the moment, that he wasn't expecting the violence and he was sickened. Come on! The movie is about a crucifixion for crying out loud! I just think some of the critics are just looking for something to bitch about. Also taking their personal beliefs into the movie theater. Critics are supposed to review a film on how good it is, not on personal belief. I believe in Christ, but if the movie sucks, I'm going to say so. Just because it's about Jesus doesn't mean I have to like it. (Although, I'm sure I will. )

EDIT: Did you guys see 60 minutes? Andy Rooney accused Mr. Gibson of wanting to make money off the crucifixion. What an idiot! That's like blaming Spielberg of making money off the Holocaust.

-oddguy

Last edited by oddguy; 02-26-2004 at 09:45 AM..
02-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I've heard about the violence thing and to be honest i'm all like "Yeh, whats your point? It's about a guy being crucified, he's not going to bleed flowers is he?". I think it's just the fact that it's Jesus being crucified and that strikes some random cord with people, 'Kill Bill' is supposed to be extremely violent and yet i haven't heard any gripes with that, just that the plot is abit shitty.

I think in England the main concern is when you get the Christians that go OTT in their Religion, and on 'Richard and Judy' over here, one Rabbai said he's worried that because of the Americans lovingness of the Bible, that certain people who watch the film and are sickened by the Jews inclusion in the crucifixion will then go out and attack Jewish citizens or burn down their houses/shops.

I think the above will happen more in America, because of the Religiousness that the American people have, whereas we're more relaxed about such things.

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Jacob; 02-26-2004 at 10:38 AM..
02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

Jacob, I do have a problem with the "aided by the jews"
now, those Jews where paid by the Romans to vote "crucify!"

I want to see that movie alot!

02-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Anybody who thinks this movie is anti-semitic can screw off. No, seriously. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was that the portrayal of Pontius Pilate was WAY too sentimental and complimentary. Face it, this guy was an asshole who had such a small package he let ignorant mob rule kill GOD. He later went on to murder countless citizens and he was fired from his post by the Romans, one of the most evil empires ever, for being a bit too bloodthirsty of a bloodthirsty prick. Afterwards, he committed suicide and he is probably burning in the 7th concentric circle of Hell. He's a little conscience-effected bitch throughout the entire film. "What is this madness?"
Also, Mel Gibson didn't have balls when he cut out the Jewish mob scene. So let me get this straight, Mel. It is okay to give words to an evil, hate-filled man so we sympathize with him but it isn't okay to actually QUOTE the goddamn Bible? Also, the violence is way to over the top for a family outing. Anybody taking Samantha and Timmy out for a nice Bible-Based movie and a little DQ afterwards is in for quite a shock. This is one of the sickest, most twisted bastard of a film ever churned out by Hollywood. There are scenes in this movie that will haunt my dreams for a long time, let alone the emotional scarring that watching Christ get crucified would give to a little kid. Seeing a blood drenched, mucus-filled Christ become the Roman's bitch and die over the span of more than a handful of agonizing hours is an absolute mindjob.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Abe's son
Outlaw Shooter

: Essex MA
: 1,331
Abe's son  (10)

The bible really isn't for children... its a twisted story if you really look at.
02-26-2004, 05:38 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

I don't know why everybody is so bent out of shape over this movie. Example a woman literally died in Kansas when it was at the part when they were nailing Christ to the cross. Ya know this is no sanatised religious movie like Ten Comandments. For one its told in Hebrew and the reality of this film is correct. It really happened over 2000 years ago and it was very violent thats what happened. Now I wouldn't recommend this to an 8 year old because they wouldn't understand it. But for someone who is older I would go see it because after seeing it, it brings on questions and great conversations on different beliefs.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 02-26-2004 at 05:49 PM..
02-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

I'm gonna go watch it later. The only problem is some people think this is wrong interpretation and its just too violent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

02-29-2004, 12:01 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I just saw "The Passion of The Christ" today. What an amazing movie. I don't think there was one thing that was out of place. And I really don't know how people could walk away from this movie and say horrible things about it. This film is something that everyone needs to see at least once in their lifetime. It wasn't Anti-Semitic in any way and another thing I'd like to address is......

The media really over-hyped the violence in my opinion. Yes, it was a crucifixion...and it was very violent, but the news reports had me believing that it was unnecessary gore. It was overhyped so much in fact, that I was expecting it to be much worse and found myself thinking..."This is it?" which made me fell bad for thinking.

I want to hear the opinions of others on this.

Oh, and the Satin character was a great addition to the story. Very well done.

I also hope the Academy isn't too snooty to recognize this film.

There...I'm finished.

-oddguy

02-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

From what i've seen of Lucifer and the actor who plays him, i think he does a very good job in portraying the, apparent, darkness and evilness that Lucifer holds. I'm just disappointed that he's the obvious bad guy. It would have been nice to see a child playing Lucifer or somebody not so blatantly evil.

02-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

When they crucify Jesus, did they hammer the nail into his hands? Then thats incorrect. Jesus was cruicied on the arm, not the palm of the hands.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

02-29-2004, 07:05 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
From what i've seen of Lucifer and the actor who plays him, i think he does a very good job in portraying the, apparent, darkness and evilness that Lucifer holds. I'm just disappointed that he's the obvious bad guy. It would have been nice to see a child playing Lucifer or somebody not so blatantly evil.
In the movie Satan had these minions that were introduced to persecute Judas in the form of children.

-oddguy

03-01-2004, 02:16 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

The most profound thing about this movie is that its a true story. I would have to say when you see this it comes to you on a personal level. When they drove the nails through his hands its as if you can feel his suffering. Do any of you get that wierd sensation when you see this? The reason why the media is so over hyped is because they don't understand the impact of the crucifixtion let alone the message of this film. When being crucified and whiped its not going to be pretty and to see this patrayed on film really impacts you on a personal level. The ending was cool on after the minute Christ died and said it was finnished we saw the power of God patrayed in the earthquake and the rain. The expressions on the solders faces and the people were like "Oh shit what did we do here?!"

03-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

'is that its a true story.'

It's APPARENTLY a true story. Somebody could just as easily do a Muslim/Hindi/Pakistani/Raelian film and claim that was a true story.

And PA, they ran the nails through his wrists, not his hands.

03-01-2004, 04:54 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Yes the wrist thats what I was going to say.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 03-01-2004 at 05:35 AM..
03-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

Its not anti-semitic. Heres what I posted in another forum to someone who thought it was. (I could probly edit it and make it clearer, but I'm tired. Copying and pasting is quicker.)

If i made a movie about socrates(ancient greek philosopher) and how atheneans(greeks) killed him, would that movie be anti-greek? Is braveheart, a movie where most english are assholes, anti-english? Is Singler's list antigerman? William Wallace was a thug who killed about as many Scots as he did English, and unlike in the movie, upon capture he ratted out his buddies without any hint of torture.

I was watching this film the other day, it was based in WW2 Italy and was made by an italian. It was all in Italian with subtitles. During it, an italian jew was taken to a concentration camp. There, there were loads of German Nazis killing Italian Jews and the like.
I thought this film was really Anti-German and should have been banned. Where were the Italian Nazis? I seem to remember that a lot of italian Nazis did most of the work in Italy, not the German Nazis, yet it didn't mention Italian Nazis anywhere. = anti-german, =banned.

I am using satire to demonstrate a point, I am not serious.

This film, portrayed jews as the bad guys, and maybe other people had a hand in it too, like the italians had a hand in killing italian jews at concentration camps. Get over it.

I hope you see what I mean. It is merely a film. Maybe there are historical inaccuracies, maybe certain points are exagerrated, but that does not make it racist or anti-semitic.

Last edited by Esus; 03-01-2004 at 06:42 AM..
03-01-2004, 06:50 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
'is that its a true story.'

It's APPARENTLY a true story. Somebody could just as easily do a Muslim/Hindi/Pakistani/Raelian film and claim that was a true story.
Yes, but the story is true to us and it effects us on a personal level.

03-01-2004, 10:08 AM
The Red Muse
Clakker Store Clerk

: Oct 2002
: I really can't remember.
: 798
The Red Muse  (10)

Oh great, another religious thread. Whoop-dee-doo!

:
The bible really isn't for children... its a twisted story if you really look at.
You are so right!
Seriously, if you start reading the first book of moses--or something--from the old testament, the stories are totally crazy (ie. incest and shite like that)!

03-01-2004, 10:32 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I'm really not wanting to start a religious debate...seriously. I just ask that others repect my beliefs. I respect yours...

The End

-oddguy

03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

Statikk HDM  (40)

Its pretty easy to rag on the Bible because it has a ton of stories in which people did sin in pretty gross ways. But thats the way the world is, and if you look at any other religion it will have its unsavory accounts and practices.
I object to all this crap that Gibson is putting in the movie that wasn't from the Bible like the towel scene, the raven scene, most of the dialogue,etc.
I mean, the claymation special on T.V. OWNED and not a single word was added or subtracted from the original accounts.
Edit: The cripple was saying that? I totally forgot!

Last edited by Statikk HDM; 03-02-2004 at 11:24 AM..
03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I remember the claymation one! It was pretty well done actually. It was called, "The Miracle Maker" if my memory serves me well. Fairly accurate...except for the part when the crippled guy was whining and saying, "Let me die." In the scriptures it says the man was a stong believer and Jesus said he had great faith. That's the only problem I can think of on the top of my head.

Anyway, the additions that Gibson added to The Passion, in my opinion, were great and added to the story very well.

-oddguy

03-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

Statikk HDM  (40)

(Said in the voice of the Rock) It doesn't matter what you thought of the additions!(End voice)
I can think of a ton of additions that I thought would have been entertaining to this movie such as
Nudity
Swordplay
Nude Swordplay
Jesus singing a show tune entitled "Being the Messiah is a Bitch"
Pontius Pilate dying from eating improperly prepared blowfish
Regardless if these additions would have spurred the movie on, be great comedy relief, or amazingly titilating, it doesn't matter because it still goes against the Bible to add stuff to it that wasn't there. If Gibson is so hardcore how can he deviate from the Bible by even 1 angstrom?

03-02-2004, 01:34 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

Yes, but Gibsons additions added to the story, while your additions wouldn't add anything to the story.

-oddguy

03-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Pst. I think he was being sarcastic

And anyways, I think some sort of celebrity model mud wrestling might make it a tad more entertaining too.
03-03-2004, 04:34 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

Statikk HDM  (40)

Jesus VS. Jon Glover VS. Your Mother in a large vat of butterscotch pudding! Lets git it on!