Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

11-26-2003, 02:17 AM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

: Jun 2002
: In my Soul Room. Occasionally found on Fanfiction.net
: 274
Kesiah  (10)
Wired The return of the Quest for the Can opener!

'Cept it's not about a Quest for a Can Opener... Whatever. Just read the thing already!!

Anyway, after looking back after a looooong time of being away from the Oddworld forums, I realized I didn't do a sequel to my hugely-popular *smug smug* fan fic, 'Quest for the Can Opener'! So yes, here it is, the (hopefully) long awaited sequel.... 'New Quest'.
*bows*

Oh, and for those of you have not read 'Quest for the Can Opener', as I think the Oddworld forums have eaten it, you can find it here:
Quest for the Can Opener
So far the first two chapters are up, but I will be putting the whole thing there. Reviews are more then welcome.. *hint hint*

Onwards to the sequel!

-----
Plop.
The light played across the water of the lagoon. Dancing in intricate patterns along the edges of ripples and highlighting the sandy shallows of the tranquil pool. Deeper areas remained hidden from the light, but no so much as to completely hide the residents of this particular pool. For all it's tranquil appearances, the pool was teeming with life.
Plop.
A small fish starting away from the surface, and another medley of ripples gliding across the surface.
PLOP!
A small body, fast moving in the water, snatched at the slower fish and swallowed it eagerly.
It was feeding time in the Gabbits' home-pool.
Munch watched the younger Gabbits happily, privately thanking Odd that they grew up fast. But then, not all things were as much a blessing as they appeared to be. With the Gabbits reaching maturity so quickly, and Munch being the only one who could effectively look after them, the task of regenerating the Gabbit race was proving extensively difficult.
150 Gabbits.
Who were starting to talk.
Who wanted to know what their names were.
Who still didn't understand the dangers, even in a peaceful place like this.
And Munch.
Mudokons couldn't swim well enough to rescue the baby Gabbits when they were in danger. Nor could they teach them how to do things the way Gabbits were supposed to. Plus Munch wasn't too good at names... 150 names.... It had been easier to call them by numbers when they didn't understand him. But he'd have to name them soon, to avoid any of them growing up thinking they were '125' or 17'.
Speaking of which, it was time to call the roll again.
"Lets see... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...."

------

Abe was taking a well-earned break.
'So many Mudokons to save, so little time', as the new saying went. Mind you, Abe was also mildly pleased with himself. The 'Native' Mudokons were becoming more and more at home with their ex-slave neighbors, and were even reteaching them the old methods of hunting, gathering and story telling that had been almost lost. Tribal body art was also springing up again, with more and more ex-slaves having tattoos or piercings performed by the natives. To Abe's embarrassment, a few natives had resurrected the Shyrkull design and altered it a little, giving Abe his own personal symbol, which many Muds were now having tattooed onto themselves. But still, he couldn't really stop them, could he?
"Hey Alfie," Abe called, attempting to catch the attention of the tea-serving, over-worked Mud.
Alf, proprietor of Alf's Rehab and Tea, the most popular place to hang out in the village, quickly finished handing over a variety of teas to some native Muds and hurried over.
"What'll it be Abe?" he asked, using a rag to spread the dirt move evenly over Abe's table.
"Gimme some of your 'special' stuff Alfie, the stuff you save for yourself..."
"Aww, come-on Abe! You know I don't do that stuff no more!"
Abe cocked his head and surveyed the other Mud. "Sure you don't Alfie... I don't mind, so long as you don't go as bad as you used to be."
Alf looked a little meepish and scuttled back behind the bar. "Mebbe I gots one bottle stashed away... in case of emergencies."
Abe hid a smile and watched as Alf made up some strong black tea, glanced around, then added a generous dollop of Brew to it.
"Alfie, you do know what that stuff is made from, right?"
Alf blinked at the question, then gave an off-hand shrug. "They don't make it no more Abie, so once the stuff is gone, it's gone, right? Let me have at least a little something to keep me going. Geez! You 'Chosen One's' are all the same! Always think you've got the hardest job! Hah! You should try making enough tea for everyone around here every day! Rescuing Muds must be a snap next to that!!"
Abe took a sip of his tea and decided not to comment.
"Hey Alf! We want some tea!" A random Mudokon called angrily. (You know, the ones that are just kinda _there_. They don't have any defining features, like names, personalities or common sense. They only exist so Abe can spend hours running around and almost getting killed trying to save them. Then they'll probably walk off the side of a cliff if not attended to anyway.)
Alf glared at him. "We're closed!! Go find a name or something!"
Abe watched the poor Mud going into a catatonic shock at being given an actual line and a mention in the story, even if it wasn't a big part.
"That was mean Alfie."
"So? I'm sick of having to serve tea to those #&%^! everyday! And what's with the symbols?"
"Censorship. It gets everywhere."
"Oh."
They drank their tea.
"Abe?"
"Yeah?"
"What are we waiting for?"
"The plot twist. Should be about..."
"ABE!!!!"
Munch burst through the door of the Rehab (& Tea), hopping frantically until he tripped over a Mudokon who had come in for the first part of the deal and smacked into a table.
Several Mudokons clapped and cheered, giving Munch and overall score of 8.5 for his 'Smacking into the table' routine.
Munch flailed wildly with his tiny arms and HUGE leg, but was unable to get up with his large gut and even HUGER head weighing him down.
A round of laughter or six later, and Abe helped the Gabbit to his feet.... er, foot then.
"ABE!!!!!" Munch screamed in the Mud's ear, deriving perverse pleasure from the expression of pain that crossed the Mudokon hero's features.
"Yeah Munch?" Abe asked while massaging his ears.
"They're gone!!"
"Um... Yeah?"
"You don't care?!"
Abe smiled nervously. "Depends what you mean is gone. Like is it your stuffed Slog collection? Cause if it is I'm..."
"Shut up Abe! Some of the Baby Gabbits are missing!!"
Abe groaned. This was sounding like the beginning of another lengthy and pointless quest....
-----

I think it got a little Munch-bashing-like towards the end... Don't worry, the whole thing won't be like that.... I think.

So what do you think? Should I continue with my sequel? Or kill the thing here and now, burn the leftovers, bury it at cross-roads at Midnight and never darken the forums with my face again?
*waits*
I am a Yaoist. If you have a problem with this, tell someone else.
Author of "Quest for the Can Opener" And several other fics. See them at Fanfiction.net!

11-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

well, i'd say it's pretty interesting so far

11-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Pretty good so far. But I have to say I don't like the idea of Abe drinking some of the Brew...doesn't seem like him. Other than that, it's great. Love the subtle humor of it.

11-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Bout time you came back!
This fic is already looking as funny as the original quest. In otherwords, glad it's finally back oh lady of laughter! (Have you still got my toothbrush? My mum says you have to give it back if you do!)

11-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

Kesiah  (10)

Yay! People remember me!! ^.^

Ok.. Mac: I personally wouldn't have _any_ Mudokon drinking Brew, but I remember Alf himself commenting about how expensive it was a while back on Oddworld.com, which made me think of how many people I know who, even when they are told what kind of things go into their favourite foods, still eat them. I suppose a Mudokon addicted to Brew wouldn't care either, though as it is Alf's Rehab (& Tea) I can't see him chugging the stuff all the time either... Plus I think of how many times Abe himself drank the Brew in the game... well, he gotta have some taste for it after all that, right? So a comprimise, a little bit added to s drink of tea to give it that little 'kick'.
Though, did they do any other Alcoholic beverages in Oddworld? I need to go over the games again...

Here you go Splat! I looked after it! Though, if your mom says you need it, you realise that means you haven't brushed your teeth for about a year?! Ewww!

Thanks sligslinger! A compliment, even a small one, can make any writer feel more like writing! (that means you get your chapters fast too... )

Anyway, next chapter will hopefully be dome either tonight or tomorrow, and for future reference, I will be recalling many of the characters I created in the first 'Quest' for this one... *cackles* That's right! Ben, Queenie and 'That One' will be back!!
*runs off into (or more likely, through) the cardboard sunset*
Author of "Quest for the Can Opener" And several other fics. See them at Fanfiction.net!

11-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Splat

Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

*gulp* Ben's comin back? *shudders*

11-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

"Censorship. It's everywhere."

"The plot twist. It should be right about...."

Two of my favorite lines. I loved the first one. THIS ONE BETTER BE GOOD! 'Cause I know where you live....

(waves finger retardedly, juts jaw out)

12-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

Kesiah  (10)
Wired Chapter 2: Here we go again....

"Did you hear me Abe?! Some of the Baby Gabbits are missing!!! We need to do something! Abe?! ABE!!!"
The blue Mudokon hero we all know and, in some cases, love, rubbed his almost-non-existent ears and sighed.
"I heard you Munch." he said. "I just wished I hadn't..."
The Gabbit glared at him. "What're we gonna do?! I _need_ to save those baby Gabbits! They're the last of our kind!"
"Chill little guy. “Alf broke in. "I have just the solution."
----

Alf displayed his 'solution' with pride.
Abe blinked at it.
Munch stared and started to twitch.
"What is it?" Abe asked eventually.
"This is a Tea bottle!" Alf said, not even attempting to hide the huge amount of pride in his voice.
There was a silence only broken by Abe passing gas.
"Sorry." he said.
Alf rolled his eyes. "You see, I'm gonna sell my Tea in some'a these here bottles, and I'm gonna put pictures of the baby Gabbits on the side of the bottles, and Presto! we'll have the baby Gabbits back in no time!"
Munch growled. "That's stupid. Come'on Abe, I'm sure we'll find 'em all if we start now."
Abe shrugged at Alf. "Munch is right Alfie, that thing'll never work. What kinda stupid idea is it anyway, putting pictures on bottles. No one's gonna read 'em."
Alf glared back. "Fine! You go and waste time on another stupid quest! I'll have all the Gabbits by the time you get sick of it!" he screamed, and slammed the door on Abe's foot.

After Munch had laughed at Abe hopping around in pain for a good few minutes, they set off. Munch insisting that Abe shouldn't go too fast, as he had difficulty keeping up with those '@(^&! long Mudokon legs!'.
Abe took a few steps and stopped.
Munch caught up.
Munch caught up.
Munch caught up....
"This is going nowhere." Abe said, looking back at the village, a meter behind them. "And we don't got a wheelchair handy."
Munch snorted. "How did those wheel chairs get all over the place anyhow?" he mused.
"Disabled Sligs?"
They both paused to think about a Slig in a wheelchair.
"Wonder where they'd put the gun...." Abe thought aloud..
"Who cares!" Munch snapped. "The question is; How're we gonna get around now? You walk too fast, and I can't see anything else to help us."
"I don't know." Abe said. "There's gotta be other people with a problem like ours..."
There was a commotion in the bushes. Munch yelped and fell over, while Abe looked around frantically for some Spooce so he could transform, or failing that, a heavy rock.
Before either could accomplish their goals, a figure emerged from the undergrowth and raced past. All the duo caught was a flash of long ears, yellow hair and an orange creature on his shoulder, before they were gone.
Munch blinked.
Abe also blinked.
Blinking was cool.
"Did that guy have a rat or something on his shoulder?" Munch said.
Abe nodded. He blinked a couple more times, but they weren't 'special' blinks, and so weren't worth noting.
"Say... I have an idea Abe...." Munch began.
----

"Are you sure this is a good idea Munch?!" Abe said, staggering around the clearing. Munch flailed his tiny arms and snapped back a frantic; "Just do it!".
Abe tried again.
*One foot, then the other foot, then the other foot, which is the first foot, then the other foot, which is the second foot, followed by the other foot, which is the first and third foot, and the other foot....* he thought, before, understandably, confusing himself and going back to the tried and true 'staggering-around-the-clearing' approach.
"Munch! You're too heavy!!"
Munch clung frantically with his single foot (guess he wouldn't get as confused as Abe) to said Mudokon's shoulder. It had seemed so easy when the other two had done it! All he had had to do was hold on to Abe's shoulder and let the Mud do the walking.
"Mudokons need broader shoulders!!" Munch screamed to the air, the tree Abe nearly walked into, and the Mud's ear.
"You need to lose some weight Munch! Can't you just walk?!" Abe moaned, before he finally hit the tree on the third loop and went down. That's right, another sad victim of a stagger-by attack.
"If you worked out and ate more, we wouldn't be in this mess!!" Munch yelled.
"Well if you didn't eat so much!"
"Well it's not my fault that..."
"Why don't you just..."
And so, our brave and intrepid team (and I use that term in the loosest possible way), began their adventure, well, sort of, hopefully they'll be done fighting by the next chapter....

12-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Kes, I love the personality your characters have. The characters seem so real and natural, it's absolutely amazing. I can't even describe it in words, only that it is extremely awesome, and something I've rarely seen executed so well. You've got a really great talent here, keep it up.

12-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Splat

Yay! Another fine (and helerious) fic from Kesiah. It's been to long!

Blinking is cool! Yay! *goes around blinking so much he can't see till he walks into a wall and knocks himself out*

12-17-2003, 04:43 PM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)
Wired

Haha!
Great story, finally someone writes about munch!!
12-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

Kesiah  (10)

Oh! I forgot to add this to the start of the second chapter! First person to tell me who the cameo character appearance is of, wins a prize! As soon as I get a prize that is... uhhh... Hmmm... What about a dedication?
A cameo appearance of their own?
A rock?

12-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I too, love the series Kesiah

I think the cameo appearance will be of Stranger.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

01-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

Kesiah  (10)

O.o
I've been trying to get back here for a while now, but the site wasn't working, but now it is... Weird.
Anyway, I actually meant who was the cameo character who showed up in the previous chapter? Any takers?

01-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Well, welcome back Kes! Im glad to see you are adding on to your series.

The forums werent working because we switched the server over to a new host, and had to transfer it, etc, while also upgrading to VB3. You can find more information in Forums Suggestion though.

Anyways Welcome back!
01-31-2004, 02:50 AM
Splat

I doubt that anyone knows who that character is unless its this thing I've heard (but not read) about, i think the thing on the shoulder is called Slip and has skin flaps and was made by this person called Cherie (or something like that) on Oddworld.au.com
On the other hand it could have been your constantly-talking nameless shaman from your last story with a rat on his shoulder (or Ben but i dont know how he might have shrunk)

02-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

Kesiah  (10)

*sweatdrops*
Actually, the point of a cameo appearance is that it's a character that is NOT from the series the fic is about.... So the cameo character isn't from Oddworld. He is actually from another game.... Anyone wanna guess which one?

02-08-2004, 09:09 PM
FuzzleByte01
Chippunk

: Dec 2001
: Phoenix, Arizona
: 32
FuzzleByte01  (10)

:
*sweatdrops*
Actually, the point of a cameo appearance is that it's a character that is NOT from the series the fic is about.... So the cameo character isn't from Oddworld. He is actually from another game.... Anyone wanna guess which one?
The characters in the cameo kind of sounded like Jak and Daxter, but I'm only going on pictures I've seen of them...I've never played any of their games. Am I close?

I love the new Quest so far
02-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Kesiah
Sniper Wasp

Kesiah  (10)

*ding! Ding! Ding!!* Tell our contestant what he's won!!!
Yes, the characters are Jak and Daxter, from the absolutly wonderful games... ^.^
What was the prize again? -_-;;

*attaches herself to Jak's leg* Luff!!

03-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Splat

Oops! Sorry Kes

...Are you gonna post again any time soon?

06-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Splat

Hello? Are you out there Kes? Hello?