Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

12-29-2003, 02:29 AM
atusiya@
JPN-OWF Friendship Contractor

: Mar 2002
: Japan Okayama-city Okayama
: 794
atusiya@  (28)
I felt somehow like OWI is in chaos. ...

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...=wn_culthead_1

:
"The key to Hollywood is knowing who to talk to and the relationships that exist between production houses and studios," said Lorne Lanning, creator of the Oddworld video game franchise. "Even though we originally came from Hollywood, went to video games and now want to expand our Oddworld property to linear entertainment, we don't know these relationships."
I felt somehow like OWI is in chaos. ..
atusiya's father..
12-29-2003, 03:00 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I saw somewhere that quoted Lorne saying that having to go through the Hollywood shmoozing and 'Let's do lunch" approach for an Oddworld film would make him vommit. I don't blame him either. I don't see OWI in chaos. They're making games, so I appreciate that. I know OW films will come later on. Maybe once OW gets more fans and more popularity, studios could approach OWI for an OW movie. Take Harry Potter for example. Warner Brother practically begged J.K. Rowling for the rights to make HP movies. Maybe the same could happen for Abe. You never know. I do want to be in the movie industry though, so if OWI doesn't have an OW film by the time I get all famous......I'll find a way to get Abe on the big screen. Mark my words!

-oddguy

Last edited by oddguy; 12-28-2003 at 07:02 PM..
12-29-2003, 03:31 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

I understand why OWI don't want to go Hollywood. Two simple words becomeing greedy. I don't blame them eather because great film companies come out of nowhere and Lorne Lanning in a few ways remindes me of Ridly Scott one of the best directors of our time whome did Alien. Lanning like Ridly has his own plan and his own way of doing things. He doesn't go by the book which makes him a genus like Peter Jackson and of course (and now I am bragging) me because film is in my future aswell. Lucas use to be like these kind of people but he went qoute on qoute Hollywood. Mainly I would keep everything simple don't need to become a huge company OWI is doing just fine. They even have the capacity to make their own films. So I wouldn't worry.

12-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

wow, that quote is quite old, can't remember where I saw it earlier...
but don't worry, I don't see any problem in there

well it was here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ent_id=1820528

Last edited by Xavier; 12-29-2003 at 05:31 AM..
12-30-2003, 02:09 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Well Im actually hoping for an oddworld film sooner rather than later.

I can understand where your coming from PA with them not wanting to turn into what they despise. But eventually they will have to come atleast close to hollywood for an Oddworld Film. In a way a little extra cash for OWI, can mean even more funds to help them with bringing us more OW games. Which is never a bad thing.
12-30-2003, 02:48 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

:
Originally posted by Al the Vykker
Well Im actually hoping for an oddworld film sooner rather than later.

I can understand where your coming from PA with them not wanting to turn into what they despise. But eventually they will have to come atleast close to hollywood for an Oddworld Film. In a way a little extra cash for OWI, can mean even more funds to help them with bringing us more OW games. Which is never a bad thing.
True very true but OWI will always remain a small company in the standards of the entertainment industry. They just will thats their nature. which is good small is good. Because that way they care about us fans. Sure they would need extra money to produce films and I have no doubt they will have it. If anything 20th Century Fox might provide them something or since they got ties with Microsoft who knows. A lot of things can happen when it comes to makeing major motion pictures.

12-30-2003, 10:13 AM
atusiya@
JPN-OWF Friendship Contractor

: Mar 2002
: Japan Okayama-city Okayama
: 794
atusiya@  (28)

Microsoft granted US patent or "interactive entertainment".
http://www.embeddedwatch.com/wolfemi...usivemay31.htm
The stage seem set for OWI steady.
But concerning entertainment, there is a very wider diversity and more complicated.
And we require too much "Odd"(=originality).
As a result OWI gropes in the dark...

atusiya's father
01-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

I am personally looking forward to an Oddworld film more than the new games, by a very small amount and I hope that they start to create one soon (if they havn't already). I also believe that they already own enough of the correct soft ware and hardware to create a truely stunning movie.

:
True very true but OWI will always remain a small company in the standards of the entertainment industry. They just will thats their nature. which is good small is good. Because that way they care about us fans.
To me, this seems just a bit too naive. Oddworld may not remain a small company, we don't know anything of the sort, all we know is that they are small at the moment and have been relatively small throughout their existance - up to now. A small company does not come hand in hand caring about fans, I know of a few very large companies that are better with the fans even that owi, which is really saying something. If OWI became a much larger, bigger company, then I don't believe this will effect their community relations or the amount that they care about their fans.

01-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Actually OWI wants to expand from what I've heard, they want to become a bigger company to make more product for their fans.

and I wouldn't worry about their FanRelations Staff,
what would OWI be without their fans ?

01-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

Why would OWI not care about their fans. I never see that happening. If it wasn't for the fans; Lorne would just be at his old apartment or whatever scribbling lil' doodles that gaming industries would just reject. In a way, the fans build the arc of oddworld, Lorne is Noah and he's supplies all the animals, i didn't want to throw in a religious metaphor but thats all i can think of. Lorne is the maestro of OW, and from what i've seen; he's no self-centered asshole, he cares about us. For example: when Lorne looked at the final copy of MO, even though i'm sure he liked it, he knew his fans wouldn't (as much as he did anyway) and is no doubt rectifying those mistakes for the next game. I doubt expanding or enlarging their business will change the way how Lorne feels. Maybe he'll have to move closer to the people he hates, but it's Lorne's choice to become one.

01-14-2004, 03:51 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

He won't become the people he despises, is what I am trying to say. And I believe a part of that is keeping things in perspective to what he wants to create for us and his envirorment he works in. When big time Corporations come to him and say take that out and take this out, he comes back to them and says no way Ill cut what I need to cut thankyou very much! Evidence in the X-Factor when he stated to the CEO of Microsoft that "this new project is ambitious" But also stateing that "sometimes you need to be a mad man behind the wheel to win the race." Of all the games except Munch for its unfortuante mishap, Lorne delivered to us fans his Oddworld. That way of thinking means he knows about the fans and he is going to deliver to the fans what we want.

Paramiteabe...

Last edited by paramiteabe; 01-14-2004 at 04:00 AM..
01-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

: Jan 2003
: 気持ちপ
: 4,311
Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)
Exclamation

I like Oddworld, and I appriciate it. I like playing the games and I would enjoy a movie, but I don't care if or when the movie comes out as long as I have some Oddworld-related thing to enjoy. I don't give a DAMN about the size or money, as long as there is Oddworld.

Ghost.
rock band, jazz band,
karate, kendo, mahjong, cyborg, synchronized swimming...
On the other hand, high school boys are
useless outside battle and sports anime.
But they're recklessly trying to make a slice-of-life anime about us.
Ah, we are high school boys,
the miserable high school boys.