12-03-2003, 04:39 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)
Question Level Editor for AE?

If you look at the back of the AE manual, it mentions that a Level Editor is incuded. It goes on to say that you can make level variations, but that you're not allowed to sell any of them.....it just says it in much more of a legaly binding way.

So......has anyone here ever made their own level variations for AE? If so, how do ya do it?

-oddguy

12-03-2003, 05:23 PM
RavenMM
Thudslug

: Aug 2003
: England
: 196
RavenMM  (10)

i checked the back of the manual and i saw it too i also checked the CD and the location were the game is installed and i saw no editor i think it meant if OWI creates and editor or someone else creates an editor that we are not allowed to sell the levels we create. i think!

12-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

I never gat an editor an AO or AE!

12-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Arcoiris
Zappfly

: Feb 2003
: England. Yay.
: 10
Arcoiris  (10)

There is no editor as such but I looked on the AE installation disk, since I have the version with the Adobe Acrobat version of the instruction manual, and there is a file named 'Levels'. It contains files named 'barracks', 'brewery', etc, or something along those lines. I think they're in a file format so that if you have the right software, you can open them up and edit them in that program. I think that's what it means...why else have that in the manual and have a file on the discs?

12-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

The Slig Barracks and SoulStorm Brewery are actual levels in Abe's Exoddus. Editing those files will no doubt corrupt your game in those levels.

I think the level editor was a feature originally planned for inclusion, but never saw the light of store shelves (hehe, thought I was going to say "day", didn't you ).

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

Those files probably hold stats that can be edited with the right hex editor...
12-30-2003, 07:47 AM
Alex
Chippunk

: Dec 2003
: Latvia
: 31
Alex  (10)
Drunk

I didn't saw any Level Editor,but I would like to ask you:how to get it?!?
12-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

:
Originally posted by Alex
I didn't saw any Level Editor,but I would like to ask you:how to get it?!?
I think the bit you're missing is that it doesnt exist. Oddworld Inhabitants probably proposed the possibility of editing software being created outside of their control, and therefore printed copyright information to cover for this possibility.

This doesn't nessacerily mean that there ARE editors out there though, it just means that in case there are, you are still binded by their copyright. Which is good because at least they accept the fact that there are people out there who will want to have a go at editing it. Much better than those few game companies who just totally deny editors any freedom.