09-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)
Oddchat Security Warning

Just a brief warning to all fellow IRCers or Oddchatters.

I was given a website address to visit a while ago by one of the chatters in IRC who claimed to be a "Hacker".

I visited the website using a seperate IE window, and the window got closed automatically. After I told everyone what visiting the website did, the hacker started laughing at me, but seemed annoyed that I was still in oddchat.

I never figured out what visiting that website did to my computer until very recently. I opened IE from the start menu and, suprise suprise, I find that the "microsoft internet explorer" had been changed to "PreXidy TeaM explorer".

The homepage address had been changed to the website address that I was given in the IRC chat by the "hacker", so that whenever I tried to open internet explorer, it would close.

This is done through a script that actually modifies registry information. This is rather worrying, as this script could be used to change vital data in your registry.

I would urge that ALL oddchat users absolutely refuse to visit any website given by anyone unless they know what they are visiting or who they are dealing with.

Also, avoid even talking to users that are requesting info that could lead to them being able to access your account. The most you should tell anyone, is what your name is, what your hobbies are, and what country you are from. Never tell them your age, kids names, wifes names, moms names, dads names, or anything else that they could use to attempt to guess your password.

If you must talk about any of the above, and your password is for instance your mothers name or your date of birth, just lie to them about it, say that you are a year older or younger than you actually are, or that your mother is called something she is not.

There is actually no great threat if you stay in the IRC chatroom. The most that any hacker could do to you is kick you off of IRC, change your windows color scheme, move your mouse, or send you irritating windows popup messages.

This is done using a program named Sub7. People who use programs like this are known as "script kiddies". So if someone gives any kind of indication that they are using one of these programs, simply exit Oddchat.

Thanks everyone, and stay safe!

Death...
09-16-2003, 12:58 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I don't even tell anyone my favorite icecream flavuh, so I'm cool.

-oddguy

09-16-2003, 02:28 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Hey death, did you by any chance happen to catch the persons ip, or vaguely remember what it looked like? That would be the best thing, seeing as I've probably seen them before. In fact, anybody who gets messed with on oddchat should get a name/ip of the person. And then just pm it to like me or Alcar, or Kai I guess, or Max, and something cn sort of be done. I guess. A complete ip would be great, making a swift akick addition...
09-16-2003, 03:56 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)
Re: Oddchat Security Warning

:
Originally posted by Death

I would urge that ALL oddchat users absolutely refuse to visit any website given by anyone unless they know what they are visiting or who they are dealing with.

Then why did you visit it yourself???

Anyways, thx for warning us.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

09-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

The reason I visited the site was because I at the time forgot about VB script embedding. There is a rather simple solution to it, you just go into the registry editor and modify the modified data.

It's a very simple hack, but it's used in alot of DoS attacks. Hackers get into the account of the person who owns the website, and add the VB script to the site, so that anyone who visits the site gets their computer screwed.

Anyway, I would advise that people follow Majic's advise with the IP reporting. Thought I can't remember anything about the person who got me to go to the website, I know he wasn't a regular or someone from the forums.

The command for checking IP's (for those who don't know) is /whois NAME. Replace "NAME" with the name of the person you want to check.
09-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

thanx for the heads up Death, i'll be careful.

09-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Originally posted by ferill
thanx for the heads up Death, i'll be careful.
No problem.
09-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Reptile
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2003
: Inside You
: 537
Reptile  (10)

Yes. Thanks for that. We'll be careful.