07-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Dequibenzo
Sniper Wasp

: Feb 2002
: Colorado
: 283
Dequibenzo  (10)
An incredible challenging challenge!

Well, I'm finally home again, after being in Ohio for a very LOOOOOOONG week. When last I visited these forums, the general discussion was a rather vivid argument about the originality of new oddworld lifeforms we've glimsed as of late. Some say hickens and shimmying salamanders are harbingers of an OWI decline, others claim that they're fine with the development, and still more are on the fence, quoting the obvious lack of information for it.
And now I return, to find the discussion pretty much dead. If I were polite, I'd leave it that way, but.... well, anyway. I had time to think while trapped in the buckeye state, and an idea occurred to me. More than once it has been mentioned here that OWI may be monitoring these forums. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I somehow doubt that they're just itching to change their company's thousands of man-hours of work based on some short rantings, no matter how well worded they are. So, I propose a show for the Odds- a contest of sorts.
If you're hesitant about the tidbits we've seen from Steef, if you're still battling abandonment issues from Munch, or if you just like this sort of thing, then post your entry in the First Quasi-annual Oddworld Forums Wildlife Design Contest! The rules are simple- post an entry of text description, drawing (or other visual medium), or both, for your envisionment of an oddworld creature to fill a role. Think that hickens aren't original? Then come up with your own unique vision of Odd Townsfolk for Steef to do business with. Think fuzzles are stupid? How would you have done them? Or, if you want, go nuts; design a totally new creature and describe their place in the odd-chain. If enough people post and the Odds really are watching, perhaps one of them will intervene and crown a winner! Who knows, your creation could show up in the Quintology somewhere!
Or, maybe they don't monitor these things, or they do and they don't bother with judging our silly little games. In which case.... I dunno, uh... Jacob can do it.
So, good luck to you all. I'm off to work on mine!
07-08-2003, 11:59 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)
Happy Don't mean to sound rude but

This is pointless mainly because...

A. We KNOW Alf, who works for OWI visits here. So that means they are monitoring us to some extent.

B. Copyright laws prevent OWI from using anything we post here. It is illegal for them to use our designs, or to even look at them because they might intentionally or unintentionally steal them from the creator.

C. If OWI wanted our ideas they would set up their own contest with the forewarning that all designs become their property.

Besides those minor details, I think some sort of art contest would be great. But it should be done in the Fan Corner, and the creatures should be treated as originals instead of "new" oddworld creatures.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

Last edited by TheKhanzumer; 07-08-2003 at 04:04 PM..
07-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I also thin this has nothing to do in the gd...
moves to fan corner

07-10-2003, 01:03 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Im going to temporarily close this. You have a great idea here, but as Khanz says if this contest were to take place it would have no real point because its not an official one and OWI has faced the problem before in which case someone sued them for supposedly using an idea of his. Regardless of whether the kid actually did come up with the idea, or oddworld accidentally did something that this person had come up with, or if the kid flat out lied, oddworld had to try and settle all of that, and thats time that was taken away from MO. I personally dont want that to take away from a game being worked on very hard right now.

So I must postpone and close this contests thread for the meantime. Although, if you have any ideas for me Dequibenzo PM how you have retooled the contest away from OWI picking here, and have it more fan based somewhat as Khanz suggested. An art contest would be a great thing to have, with original work, like best fan creature, etc.

Or on the other hand, you could email OWI with your idea and see if they would sponsor something like that through the forums, etc. Its a rough shot but worth a try if you really want to try and see if they would do anything like that.

When you have done either of those or talked with me outside of this thread about your ideas, etc. I can reopen this.

*Closes*

Last edited by Al the Vykker; 07-09-2003 at 05:06 PM..