06-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)
Blacks and the failure of the "War on Drugs"

I was reading the book "The Ten Things you Can't Say in America" and thought this was pretty interesting
Nearly one third of all young black men are involved in in the criminal justice system:either in jail, on parole or on probation.Consider the effects of the war on drugs on an innner city youth.He gets involved in the drug trade, gets busted, goes to prison. There he interacts with with hard core criminals, broadening his criminal horizons. He gets out of prison with a record. Depending upon the state he lives in, he may or may not be able to vote. In addition, his "marriage value" has now declined, making it less likely that a woman would find him a good long term marriage prospect. Because he has a record, he may or may not be able to get a job, with employers understandably reluctant to hire an ex-con. While in prison, he may have engaged-forcibly or willingly-in unprotected sex,possibly contracting and STD, up to and including AIDS.The young black man now has no pension, no 401K, no stock options, no money, no spouse, lots of enemies, and is possibly ill. And for what? So that a bunch of cops can stack a bunch of drugs on a table, have their pictures taken, and declare that we've "turned a corner" on the war on drugs.
The war on drugs is a big sham. It ruins people's lives for the sake of photo ops and takes away fundamental civil liberties, all the while pretending to be our friend. Well, at least Canucks and some other "brits" oversees can possess small amount of the devil's lettuce without being thrown in the slammer.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

06-12-2003, 02:51 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

Er... why did you use a black man in this example?
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

06-12-2003, 03:14 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

Think about it, if the person who was selling the drug wasn't put into Jail. He might sell more drugs and more people's life at risk and ruin lots of families... there must always be sacrifice for a greater good...
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

06-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Why is selling drugs bad? There is a big market for it, isn't there? And it is a person's choice if they want to buy and do drugs. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to do drugs. Also, you said drugs would ruin people's lives. Well, over 60 million people have tried one drug or the other. Including a former president. And you don't think smoking and drinking ruin people's lives? Think again. I bet you any money around here that everyone on this board is connected to a chainer smoker or alcoholic. No shit. It might be a friend or relative. I bet you money that more people know drunks and chain smokers than they know druggies.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

06-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

:
And it is a person's choice if they want to buy and do drugs.
I personally believe Drugs should be legalised and properly monitered. That way the Drugs will be pure and safer. But most people who do Drugs do it out of curiosity...and then get addicted (i'm talking about Cocaine and other addictive Drugs).

:
I bet you money that more people know drunks and chain smokers than they know druggies.
Thats because alcohol and smoking isn't seen as bad as Drugs. Drugs are talked about alot about their badness and stuff, whereas alcohol is seen as just something to have a good time with and smoking is seen as something to calm you...albeit both have bad effects after a long period of time.

Which is another thing, Drugs are more dangerous due to their effects on a short term basis...

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

06-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Like Jacob, I believe drugs should be legalised and monitered. Perhaps one or two at a time, so that the authorities can adapt, because obviously that's not going to happen overnight. But if we're allowed to buy alcohol and smokables, then of course we should be allowed drugs. It will also put more money in the government's hands, which I'm sure is going to be a controversial thing, but then at least we might have our trains running on time. *big smile*

I've heard it said that if smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol were discovered today, they'd be Class A drugs. Which reminds me, drugs are better than cigarettes because if one person is taking drugs, people around him or her aren't passively taking drugs. I have that thought constantly in my mind when thinking about this subject, because I've had to breathe in smokey air for the past 100% of my life.

:
Er... why did you use a black man in this example?
Because that's what his book was talking about.
06-14-2003, 07:15 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

Things seem to be working out fine the way they are. Who cares if people are getting "bad" drugs, they were warned, it was there choice.
06-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

The fact of the matter is more and more teens are going to dabble for curiosity. I, for one, would do some of the more dangerous Drugs just for an experience so if i do have kids i can say "I did [enter Drug] and it had a bad effect on me [if it did] and so i have experience. If you want to try it and put yourself in potential danger, then fine...". I've smoked Cannabis...vile shtuff. Smoked Cigarettes...quite nice. Smoked Cigars...quite nice. Done the whole alkohol dealio...thooperlicious!!

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud