Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

05-18-2003, 12:44 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Wired Sound effects for the future of Oddworld!

A thing I like about Oddworld are the cool background noises you hear in AO and AE. What kind of sounds you think we will here in OW4? Well I hope we get back that echoing type noises we heard in previous games. Its that echo which really brought the depth of the enviorment in which our characters were in.

Now maybe for OW4 the echo or the background noises could move up a notch. Like for instance when you fall off a cliff you hear your character yell like they always do but when you hear them go splat you suddenly hear the howel of a scrab followed by the sound of it eating your corps. hehe! That would be sweet to hear as an echoing type noise. Like the camera shows you fall off the cliff and you don't see anything only you hear those sounds which makes it disturbing.

Or you can have the same scenero but this time a paramite is sitting up on the cliff as you fall off. And then suddenly the paramite looks at you fall off, then moves down the cliff and eats your dead body. And at the same time you don't see anything only you hear it devouring your dead body. The only time you would see it, is when the paramite moves over the cliff with his webbing.

What kind of sound effects you think would be good for the future of Oddworld?

05-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

PA, u cant possibly imagine how much i agree to tell you the truth i want new sound bytes... not only did i dislike the sound fx in MO but also the music...the last games had panbang and bongo type music that i enjoyed....sweet odd please besto your powers that you gave to the fans to the actual creators for once

Last edited by Sekto Springs; 05-17-2003 at 04:51 PM..
05-18-2003, 03:29 PM
KintoKid
Stingbee

: Oct 2002
: Ca
: 85
KintoKid  (19)

I totally agree. The sounds in AO and AE gave the games a sort of "mood" or "atmosphere" which made you feel like part of the game. Plus all the sounds were really cool to hear, especially for the first time. I think the old sound of Oddworld is what made their games unique. Unfortunately, MO didn't have quite the same tone. The music and SFX were a little repetitive and after a while I just felt like turning the volume off and listening to the radio while I played. I hope OW4 incorperates some of their old sounds, or at least similar FX.