06-23-2001, 05:32 PM
MrBoj
Bola Blast

: Jun 2001
: Brooklyn, NY
: 421
MrBoj  (12)
An innovative idea

Well, it's not origianl, just an improvement on an old concept of Oddworld.

You all know that you have to be "in range" to possess an enemy, right? This range is defined by the screen, so if an enemy if off screen, you cannot possess them.

Lets say that Abe is on the far left of the screen, and an enemy is on the far right of the screen: you will be able to possess the enemy. However, if you remain on the far left, and try to possess an enemy that is one step off screen to the left, you cannot possess that enemy.

I always found this frustrating and annoying. Then again, as good a game as AO and AE are, they are still only 2D games. However, MO will be in 3D, a full 3D world, correct? Now, what i am saying is that OWI should improve the possession feature so that it depends on how far away you actually are in order to possess an enemy, not whether or not the enemy is off screen or not.

I suggest decide upon an arbitrary distanse. Then make it so that Abe can possess his enemies within that arbitrary distance. After all, in a 3D world, you can utilize things than in a 2D world would not be possible to.

I hope you understand what I am saying. If not, just tell me and I'll try to explain it better. Peace out.

06-23-2001, 08:42 PM
Sal the Mudokon
Howler Punk

: Apr 2001
: My computer
: 344
Sal the Mudokon  (10)

...good idea. what do u think would be an acceptible distance

-George Clinton/Ghandi

06-24-2001, 12:16 AM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

the distance should vary, according to how much spooce abe has, which depends on how many of those mushroom thingies he's collected. they probably will do as you suggest, because MO isn't a screen-based game, so there wouldn't really be any other way.

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

06-24-2001, 12:52 AM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

actually i read somewhere (i dont remember where) the sligs, BBSs, etc could only shoot you if they were on the same screen as you...like in AO and AE. Don't know if they will keep it that way though...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

06-24-2001, 01:18 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

my guess is that at the start of the chant there will be a transparent circle around abe, And it fades away as you start to possess someone. I have seen this before in some RPG game. its called "range viewer"

06-24-2001, 01:09 PM
MrBoj
Bola Blast

MrBoj  (12)

I hope that with each Oddworld game developed, OWI will improve on the possession feature to make it as realistic as possible.

06-24-2001, 03:57 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)

Well it is confusing but I understand. I think what ODDBODD said sounds good. This thing with the circle sould be in AO and AE,too. It would be also cool if there would be spooce. I still don´t understand the spooce thingy. Well just a bit

06-24-2001, 05:34 PM
Black Dragon
Riot Slug

: May 2001
: USA
: 574
Black Dragon  (10)

I think that what Rett said sounds most logical: the distance depends on spooce. This is quite an interesting topic, I might add. I never really thought about that until it was brought up. It will be interesting to see how possession works in MO.

06-24-2001, 11:41 PM
MrBoj
Bola Blast

MrBoj  (12)

possession is the key to Oddworld's gaming experience. If you think about it, it is the MOST UNIQUE part about Oddworld, and to concentrate on it and improve upon it would greatly enhance the whole gaming experience.

Possession and the characters themselves are the soul of Oddworld.

06-25-2001, 01:38 AM
heyweave420
Zappfly

: May 2001
: monument colorado
: 14
heyweave420  (10)

heres a thought... maybe if the enemys on screen and you begin to chant the enemy would be paralized and could not move while the possesion takes place begining to end which would solve the enemy running off screen problem? maybe

06-25-2001, 08:32 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Take into consideration also that you can see more in a 3D game's screen than in a 2D game.

For example, because the game is 3-dimensional, you can see a lot further back in the distance. So where as in a 2D game you can only see from left to right (plus the level in the background in the case of Oddworld)... in a 3D game you can see a lot further back.

So I'm not sure how OWI would handle this. Like would you be able to possess the Slig in the background that is only a small speck on the screen. Probably not. I think that the theory of distance (and maybe other factors that some have mentioned) will be taken into consideration when possessing creatures.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

06-25-2001, 09:07 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

I still think the "range viewer" is the idea. Its the only possible way for the player to understand how close he needs to be for possession. The more spooce you have the larger the circles diametre expands.

06-25-2001, 01:11 PM
MrBoj
Bola Blast

MrBoj  (12)

spooce? is that similar to quarma?
And what are these mushroom thingies? sounds quite ODD.

06-26-2001, 07:11 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

These little red-orange-pink-spotted balls in the ground are humshrubs, a kind of plant of fungus full of spooce, the "currency" used by native people of Oddworld to gain spiritual power and run facilities and vehicles.

humshrubs-larger version

humshrub 2-larger version

Note the number 12 above Munch's head. It tells how many humshrubs he collected so far.

humshrub3-larger version

The same here, note again the number 14 above Munch's head.

The possession feature in Munch's Oddysee remains a big secret, since we haven't seen any picture or movie with Abe possessing any creature. What we have seen so far is a possessed Big Bro Slig in the BBS video.

I think that probably the possesion will be very intuitive, in a way that you will be able to know very easily who can you posses and who can you not.

I say that taking in account the Smart Camera movement that maybe will fit Abe and the creature you are tryig to possess exactly in the same screen.

It was mentioned a while back the Abe will create a "possessin ball" that will be able to be carried to longer distances, just like he did with the "possessed fart" in Abe's Exoddus. If it is true, this picture could be an example of that "possession ball" seeking for it next victim, in this case a Glukkon:

strange blue ball-larger version

Here goes a suggestion: the next video footage released by OWI should bring a possesion sequence.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Lampion ]
06-26-2001, 07:39 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

Thats cool lampy but i think that that ball thing might be what happens just before the birdportal disappears

06-29-2001, 01:08 PM
TheBlueScrab
Sewer Sleg

: 735
TheBlueScrab  (11)

Hi
wow!That´s cool Lampion!

Bye, TheBlueScrab
Why don´t you come and play, I guarantee you a great big smile.
I come from the imagination, and I´m here stricly by your invocation..so what´d you say?
Why don´t we dance a while?
Cause' I know what you feel boy.
I know just what you feel boy.
You call me and I come a-runnin.
I turn the music on I bring the fun in.

I can bring whole city`s to ruin, and still have time to get a soft shoe in.

Now, we´re partying, that´s what it´s all about!

06-29-2001, 08:18 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

I heard that you guide whats called a Possession Bubble in order to possess the enemy. It floats through the air and you guide it to the enemy, as far as range I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

07-01-2001, 10:05 AM
TheBlueScrab
Sewer Sleg

: 735
TheBlueScrab  (11)

Hi
What a feeling!
How much is the fish???

JuSt A jOkE!
Posse, i need you on the floor!
Heili, Geili!!!

Bye, TheBlueScrab
Why don´t you come and play, I guarantee you a great big smile.
I come from the imagination, and I´m here stricly by your invocation..so what´d you say?
Why don´t we dance a while?
Cause' I know what you feel boy.
I know just what you feel boy.
You call me and I come a-runnin.
I turn the music on I bring the fun in.

I can bring whole city`s to ruin, and still have time to get a soft shoe in.

Now, we´re partying, that´s what it´s all about!