: 31.

12-28-2002, 09:58 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

: Apr 2001
: Australia
: 329
LuxoJr  (10)

Pilot, you still haven't answered the question I posed above.

I'm yet to discover any ET evidence that extends beyond word of mouth, rumors, and other foundationless information myself. If these claims are based upon your own beliefs, rather than solid evidence, then we have a stalemate. We'll need more than Geocities pages with yellow/black colour schemes, static cropcircle shots and anecdotal evidence to prove your beliefs.

You've made some hefty claims; back them up.
01-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Pilot

: ▄▀▄▀
: 2,722
Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)

A stalemate may be indeed what we have.

My friend, sometimes understanding does not come by "solid" or "scientific" means. Becoming to heavily reliant on science to explain yourself and the universe around you can blind an individual to many things. In my opinion, to dismiss what one cannot see/touch/taste/hear or smell in the here and now as fantasy or fallacy is folly.

I won't stay here and argue my point because I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. Take it for what it is. What evidence I do have is not something that you could put your hands on; nor is it probably anything that would even make sense to you or anybody else but me; in that way I am in the same boat as many others. Much of what I have to go on are my experiences, and if that makes me crazy or otherwise mentally unsound then so be it.

That's all I have to say on that matter.

01-01-2003, 06:36 AM
Canned Gabbiar
Spark Stunk

: Dec 2002
: Dunno...
: 385
Canned Gabbiar  (10)
Happy They're out there!

"Somewhere out there, there are alien forces acting in ways we could never have imagined. Are we alone in the universe? Impossible! When you consider all that surrounds us..." ~ The Simpsons

Well, I believe that aliens do exist. There are trillions of stars and galaxies... more than we will ever know. Most of them should have orbitting planets. And let's say it's like our solar system, with 9 planets. And you multiply lets say, 100 trillion by 9. It's impossible that none of those 900 trillion planets have life. Even if they are just little worm things or even just unicellular microbes. Aliens must exist.

Ok enough of my rants. That was my opinion. Let's see yours.

01-01-2003, 06:36 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

LuxoJr  (10)
ANSWER THE QUESTION

:
My friend, sometimes understanding does not come by "solid" or "scientific" means.
Yeah, thanks for the patronising register, son.

You've given the same 'truths' that religion declares, prescribing complicated realities to personal testimony. I'm not saying you're wrong - though something this bizarre deserves to be wrong - but you've put a lot of faith in such a convoluted story. Doesn't your sense of judgment urge you to seek greater confirmation for something
:
one cannot see/touch/taste/hear or smell in the here and now
beyond 'evidence' that you alone find plausible?
:
nor...would [it] even make sense to you or anybody else but me
Well, privilileged as you are with this tome of infinite knowledge, perhaps you'll be willing to answer my earlier question regarding the motives of this alien race. I'll ask a third time: WHY would these aliens abandon their efforts to prevent nuclear war when 9/11 drew us towards this same threat?

Forget this pointless argument on 'truth'. I'm asking you to rationalise the foolish nature of a decision these hyperintelligent aliens have made. We can't prove their existence - that's a given - but we can universally assess the nature of their supposed actions as foolish or not.

I'm questioning the nature of this intelligence, NOT the nature of your beliefs. Even if we assume that your story is correct, its logic is undermined by the prospect that these aliens have made a foolish oversight. How can your genius ETs dismiss the prospect of the very NUCLEAR WAR they are supposed to PREVENT?
01-01-2003, 06:55 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

LuxoJr  (10)

:
It's impossible that none of those 900 trillion planets have life. Even if they are just little worm things or even just unicellular microbes. Aliens must exist.
Well, I can't argue with that logic. You're saying that chance and truth are co-dependent?

I'll buy you a steak dinner if this experiment works: roll a dice six times and see if it lands on each number once. The one in six probability must pay out once we exhaust each probable situation, right? Right?! I mean, the fact that it CAN happen PROVES that it WILL happen!

Here's evidence against that argument. Pilot CAN answer the question that I HAVE asked him three times. He's HAD 2 recent chances to respond, but he HAS not. Are you convinced possibly? I know I am, perhaps! Yes?
01-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Canned Gabbiar
Spark Stunk

Canned Gabbiar  (10)

Fine Luxo... let me rephrase that. I guess I was a bit too hasty in my reply. I'll replace the word "impossible" with the word "improbable". Happy now? And also, I did say at the end that that was MY opinion. No reason to bite my off head...

Last edited by Canned Gabbiar; 12-31-2002 at 11:13 PM..
01-01-2003, 07:55 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

LuxoJr  (10)

Heh... okay - I'll return that head of yours and offer an apology.

I still think that people too readily grant 'their opinion' asylum from criticism and logic. That's why I used your post to leverage my own response to Pilot's Mister Miyagi-cum-Oracle antics. I'm tired of this self-assuredness disguised as generous tolerance; he's fully convinced of this alien story and has conveniently avoided any rational objections. When he comes out with this:
:
...just because I say things are one way does not make me right either. It's a matter of who's walked the walk and who's talked the talk. I've actually looked into this matter and have formed opinions based upon the research I have done.
He's basically said 'well, my opinion is just as valid as the next - actually, it's more valid!'

Last edited by LuxoJr; 12-31-2002 at 11:59 PM..
01-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Canned Gabbiar
Spark Stunk

Canned Gabbiar  (10)

Ok... Well, I've looked through the who thread. First of all, don't get me wrong. I do believe that extra-terrestrial life does exist. Even if they are just unicellular organisms. It is extremely unlikely that they do not exist.

However, I will now reveal myself to be against Pilot's views. I find that Jacob's posts are a lot more plausible. I'm not saying I know everything about this sort of thing... I don't. But I'm not the kind of guy that will openly accept any wishy-washy(sorry, that's just how I feel... nothing personal) view as true without substantial evidence to prove otherwise.

Now, I completely against this idea of "Verdants" and that we have known of them for a long time. None of your ideas have a firm foundation. In all of your posts, I have not seen even one shred of evidence to prove that these so-called "Grays" exist in our society. "Ancient" paintings isn't proof. As I mentioned before, history is plagued with forgeries of this kind. The reference to the talk show Coast to Coast cannot be presented as proof. And this thing about Aboriginal cave paintings depicting guys with helmets? Don't make me laugh.

01-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Well I do infact belive that we have known about aliens for quite some time now and I do agree with Pilot that beliving is up to you and sometimes you can't always have solid evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

01-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

:
Originally posted by Canned Gabbiar
the talk show Coast to Coast
Are we talking Space Ghost here? Aah SG, Zorak, Moltar and Brak are soo funny. And Lokar has his moments too. I know you're not meaning that but I don't know what 'Coast to Coast' is.

I'm sorry for that but I had to lighten the tone a bit, things sure are heating up here in the forums. I won't say much, as I don't want to be attacked but all I think is the same as Canned Gabbiar, where as there most likely is something, no matter how small.

:
There are trillions of stars and galaxies...
There are infinite.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

01-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Canned Gabbiar
Spark Stunk

Canned Gabbiar  (10)
Thanks For The Support

Yeah. Thx Facsimile. I just think it's naive to believe that these so called "verdants" actually exists in society without reasonable evidence. I'm not saying that they are wrong, because anything is possible, but I'm just saying that it seems a little too much on the science-fiction side.

05-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

I don't generally believe anything, but certain things lately make me wonder.

05-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

:
It's impossible that none of those 900 trillion planets have life. Even if they are just little worm things or even just unicellular microbes. Aliens must exist.
No not really. It is very possible for our own planet to be the only one that harbours life. "Life" itself may just be a spacial anomaly.

So to conclude, the possibilities are equal. The universe is either full of life, or dead. Both possibilities are just as probable as each other, since there is no good evidence supporting either.
05-16-2004, 03:51 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

What brought this topic back to life?

05-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Wow.

R-e-a-l-l-y old topic.

But I have to say I know for a fact...well, not a fact, but a high, high probability that there is absolutely nothing else out there. It was from this really cool book that put everything into perspective, I think you guys would like it...I'm gonna go try to find it.

05-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

:
What brought this topic back to life?
*raises hand*

Sorry. It called out to me.

05-16-2004, 04:04 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I believe in God,

so I believe in Satan.

I believe in Satan,

so I believe in devils.

I believe in devils,

so Aliens aren't that wacky in my world.

-oddguy

05-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

The only TRUTH is, that the universe is so absolutely mind bogglingly immense, it is beyond our comprehension. The most we can begin to understand, is maybe this galaxy, that's about it. Even that is a struggle for a human to accept the sheer size, since to appreciate the entire thing it must be scaled down many many times.

Our brains are incapable of accepting and appreciating the distances, sizes, and events taking place in our universe. We simply cannot compute the staggering amount of data it would take to make a log of the entire universe. Therefore, we cannot begin to comprehend what else me out there - it really is like trying to in our minds add a brand new color to the spectrum.
05-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

And this thread is soooo old, that it didn't deserve to be brought back up. You could have just made a new one, this one's been dead for long enough.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate