Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

05-31-2016, 05:09 PM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

: Apr 2011
: Britain
: 1,326
Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

jaytechmedia, is there any chance you could upload an image of the two eyes overlapped, just to save me doing it myself. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Connell; 06-02-2016 at 05:23 AM..
05-31-2016, 05:52 PM
jaytechmedia
Zappfly

: Apr 2016
: Keswick
: 5
jaytechmedia  (10)

Sure thing
http://www.jaytechmedia.com/odd/eyes.png

Heres what I *think* I can see.
http://www.jaytechmedia.com/odd/myeyes.png
(Its 2:50AM in the UK, so thats probably not even going to convey anything, and for all we know, them few pixels of a reflection could be anything, be it Stranger or Lady Margaret (jokes.) )

Hope thats some help, Im off to bed. Good Luck :P
05-31-2016, 10:08 PM
MalumInSe
Zappfly

: May 2016
: Canada
: 13
MalumInSe  (23)
Happy

So it is 02:40a.m. here in Canada and I have spent pretty much the whole day reading this forum and looking at all the source material; images, videos, audio, wiki, forum etc, and I have come to some conclusions/ theories that I'll point out as I go on.

So I started looking into this ARG last night (first I heard of it) and being a big fan of Oddworld, I wanted to jump in.

I also joined the Discord channel and spoke to Varrok.

Soulstorm Source Code - New appearances?

So, when going onto the Soulstorm page, and checking the source code, I noticed something I didn't notice yesterday when I first started.
Yesterday, when looking, there was a 'review' from a guy called @JackSepticEye, YouTube gamer. In the source code it links you directly to his Twitter account.
Earlier today while looking again I no longer saw @JackSepticEye, I saw instead @Caddicarus.
Now what's interesting is that Caddicarus' review was simply 'Awesome', and his Twitter name was not linked, it was just represented as @Caddicarus - no hyperlink, neither was his name shown on the normal page, only viewable in source mode.
As I look now, I can not find @Caddicarus in the source code - it has been changed. Maybe someone new we will be following soon, or another clue as OWI have clearly hidden clues in plain site before - such as the discovery of the name 'Ed', found with certain letters being in Italics.

What is also interesting about this is that the page breaks from the /selection, between this in a huge amount of empty spaces (thanks to Varrok in Discord for pointing this out) - at least it looks empty. I have copied this into Word, changed the color of the text, as well as changed the highlight color, as well as the background. Either option produced no results in revealing any text. Maybe I am missing something, or not done something, can anyone else find anything here?

(Sorry I did not screen capture Caddicarus source code, it did not register to me at the time)

Varrok's image of the spaces;

The images of Abe's eyes/ face;

Looking at the high-res image shows quite clearly that Abe is outside, or inside looking out, with a building or high fence on his right (as shown in the reflection of his eye), there are trees to his left, and what appears to be fire with another strange light - possibly the light reflecting off his Iris from another source (hence Abe being inside looking out).
(I would also like to note that I work with cameras and photography in my professional life, and that what Abe is looking at is an outside scene - at least given the lighting conditions and subjects in his iris, this is what I can conclude given my experience, though I could be wrong as I don't work with CGI/ 3D models. Subjects in a persons eye will bend/ fisheye if taking a photograph of the eye - simply because the eye is spherical/ oval).
What the fire is however, is the mystery, and given that Abe looks a little worried, I am wondering if it is an explosion in the distance, a comet, a new enemy, or even the Mudokon spirits.

Here is an image I edited pointing these out. If someone has the time (as I am going to bed once I have posted this), trying to lighten up the iris part of this eye could reveal more to figuring out where he is.

But I also think this image...

...has a lot of information in it and could possibly hold more. Just looking at the small color blocks seems to hold a clue, I could be wrong.

Given that Ed seems to respond to cold and fire with responses like shiver and closer, it further strengthens my view that maybe Abe is in captivity or caged, or something, as you would be shivering locked in a cage, especially if it is outside.
Maybe it's a metaphor in the long run for the story of Soulstorm - maybe we are going to deal with Abe's mental state and this is a subtle clue of the darker story that Soulstorm is to bring.

There is also the source code that changed recently of Abe, first showing his whole face, then his face without eyes, then gradually getting blurrier.

It's my view that what we saw in the source code was meant to be like a TV broadcast - Abe was transmitting an image of himself, which as we saw towards the end, became fuzzy, like it was losing signal or connection. Given that the second image is of a line going straight through his eyes, this could be a flare in the signal, as we all remember from our old CRT TV's - to those young ones, they were TV's that were ridiculously huge and heavy, and used a cathode ray tube that would create these occurrences depending on the signal strength and your antenna, sometimes you would get a wavy signal/ broadcast resulting in the image on the TV waving across the screen.
It could also hold a deeper meaning - as many have mentioned, that we are dealing with a blind Mudokon, and that it is stating that whoever we are dealing with is blind, or struggling to view us/ transmit his image.
This, again, further strengthens my view that Abe maybe caught, caged or trapped somewhere he doesn't want to be - behind enemy lines.
Or maybe it's Ed and not Abe - I am unsure of exactly 'who' it is, but I am sure the circumstances mentioned above hold some merit.

Reveal/ Code Images & Soulstorm/ed

Now my last part is about the reveal/ code images and the ed link.

When searching the source code, this comes up for the reveal/ code images;

"ed/squares_codes_02.jpg
ed/squares_codes_03.jpg
ed/squares_codes_04.jpg
ed/GE3IJNSA.jpg
ed/squares_codes_06.jpg
ed/squares_07.jpg
ed/squares_codes_08.jpg
ed/squares_09.jpg"

Which one of them stands out the most? If you said ed/GE3IJNSA.jpg then you would be right. As I was talking to Varrok earlier, he did mention that it was one of the first clues and that it could have been a labeling mistake from whoever created the page.
However, given that it is the only file there in capitals and with such an odd file name, I would venture to say that maybe there is more to this file then meets the eye, or possible maybe a clue within the name itself?
It is strange though, and I could be way out, but it's something worth mentioning I believe.

Also, and the final part, when going to oddworld.com/soulstorm/ed you are now presented with this ;

W̨͚̬̮̖h͎͍̼̪̻ȩ͙͙̜̘̖̺r҉̳͚̙̫͓̙̞e͉͔̱ ̘̟ͅ ̦̻̹͢a͏̥̪Ì*Ì»Í–Ì Ì¦M̖̲͖̻ ̮͍̤̰̗̣͟ị̦̮̝́?̴̦̦̝̯

I haven't seen anyone comment or mention this as of late in these posts so I am not sure if it is important, or if the page is now redundant gibberish.
Either way, I have no idea how to crack it, putting it into word and trying to change the font doesn't do anything.

So, that's my two cents for now to add to this exciting ARG. This is my first ARG I am ever involved in properly so I don't expect everything of mine to be correct, and I may have missed out certain relevant information as I am overstuffed with ARG Oddworld information after spending my whole day practically reading this forum and the wiki.

Exciting stuff! Now I am to sleep!

Last edited by MalumInSe; 06-01-2016 at 06:30 AM.. : Backup my evaluation on what Abe is viewing
05-31-2016, 11:41 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

Oh hey, fellow night owls

Any who, I'm back
Just wanted to chime in my results running the ABEFACE_8291 picture through a couple of stegnagraphy decoders (successfully finally)
Here's the link to the first decoder I used

Online Steganography tool (embed/hide secret messages or images within a host-image)
Mind you that this and many other free onsite decoders required that a file/image be MUCH smaller than the 8352x4200 (1042kb) and to be .png not .jpg and variations of such

So i did compress it with photo resizer then saved it in a picture editor as a .png to see if It'd run through after that ( both are apps on my mobile. Mobile's all I got to work with. I also avoid downloading software as I find myself constantly installing, unistalling, reinstalling software/apps and it eats up my data or won't let me download )

Results "ERROR: NO MESSAGE FOUND IN UPLOADED FOLDER"

Now I'm not sure if what I did to get it to scan through interfered with how the decoder read it but I welcome those more skilled than I to give it a go...go.

The SECOND I tried is

http://incoherency.co.uk/image-steganography/

And ran the Abeface

photo runabefacesteg_zpsgnqjahky.jpg

Then got this as a result

photo resultabesteg_zpsgerq5zeb.jpg
(It yeilded no hidden images/messages though I haven't run a genuine incoded image through it to make sure)

If your feeling thorough these also look promising:
Mobilefish.com
monzaiq.org

It's little over 1:30am for me, and I worked with a Spider web fractured screen...

so good night, sleep tight

Either something is found or we find out stego just isn't the answer at all , ( the post above mine looks awesome)

alright now I'm hittin the sack.

Last edited by Gunnr; 06-03-2016 at 06:19 AM..
06-01-2016, 01:38 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

The more I think about it, the more I think the answer to the picture is much easier than we all think, we're all just missing it. I tried so many steganography methods last night, online and offline, and nothing returned a viable result.

:
So it is 02:40a.m. here in Canada and I have spent pretty much the whole day reading this forum and looking at all the source material; images, videos, audio, wiki, forum etc, and I have come to some conclusions/ theories that I'll point out as I go on.
Welcome! Always good to have more people on board.

:
Yesterday, when looking, there was a 'review' from a guy called @JackSepticEye, YouTube gamer. In the source code it links you directly to his Twitter account.
Earlier today while looking again I no longer saw @JackSepticEye, I saw instead @Caddicarus.
Now what's interesting is that Caddicarus' review was simply 'Awesome', and his Twitter name was not linked, it was just represented as @Caddicarus - no hyperlink, neither was his name shown on the normal page, only viewable in source mode.
As I look now, I can not find @Caddicarus in the source code - it has been changed. Maybe someone new we will be following soon, or another clue as OWI have clearly hidden clues in plain site before - such as the discovery of the name 'Ed', found with certain letters being in Italics.
The reviews that appear there are randomly generated each time you reload the Soulstorm page, that's why they may appear to change.

:
What is also interesting about this is that the page breaks from the /selection, between this in a huge amount of empty spaces
That's definitely interesting - I hadn't noticed it before at all. I wonder if it has significance?

:
Also, and the final part, when going to oddworld.com/soulstorm/ed you are now presented with this ;

W̨͚̬̮̖h͎͍̼̪̻ȩ͙͙̜̘̖̺rÒ‰Ì³ÍšÌ™Ì«Í Ì™Ìže͉͔̱̘̟ͅ ̦̻̹͢a͏̥̪Ì*Ì»Í–Ì Ì¦M̖̲͖̻ ̮͍̤̰̗̣͟ị̦̮̝́?̴̦̦̝̯

I haven't seen anyone comment or mention this as of late in these posts so I am not sure if it is important, or if the page is now redundant gibberish.
Either way, I have no idea how to crack it, putting it into word and trying to change the font doesn't do anything.
This was figured out fairly early on in the ARG. It's written in UTF-8 browser encode. If you use a website like this: https://software.hixie.ch/utilities/...r/utf8-decoder It will tell you the raw characters are:

"W̨͚̬̮̖h͎͍̼̪̻ȩ͙͙̜̘̖̺r҉̳͚̙̫͓̙̞e͉͔̱̘̟ͅ ̦̻̹͢a͏̥̪*̻͖ ̦M̖̲͖̻ ̮͍̤̰̗̣͟ị̦̮̝́?̴̦̦̝̯"

I originally used this text to find the @edmudokon account on Twitter. I put it in the search box on Twitter after I had the idea and luckily the account had tweeted it before!

I don't want to seem like I'm shooting down ideas, but you seem like you'll be a real asset to the ARG so it's probably best to fill you in on all the stuff that has already been found so our efforts are more honed in. Good luck!

06-01-2016, 06:28 AM
MalumInSe
Zappfly

MalumInSe  (23)

:
This was figured out fairly early on in the ARG. It's written in UTF-8 browser encode. If you use a website like this: https://software.hixie.ch/utilities/...r/utf8-decoder It will tell you the raw characters are:

"W̨͚̬̮̖h͎͍̼̪̻ȩ͙͙̜̘̖̺r҉̳͚̙̫͓̙̞e͉͔̱̘̟ͅ ̦̻̹͢a͏̥̪*̻͖ ̦M̖̲͖̻ ̮͍̤̰̗̣͟ị̦̮̝́?̴̦̦̝̯"

I originally used this text to find the @edmudokon account on Twitter. I put it in the search box on Twitter after I had the idea and luckily the account had tweeted it before!

I don't want to seem like I'm shooting down ideas, but you seem like you'll be a real asset to the ARG so it's probably best to fill you in on all the stuff that has already been found so our efforts are more honed in. Good luck!
My bad, for some reason when looking at soulstorm/ed the first time (in Chrome) in came up in the UTF8 format with all the odd formatting. When I went back it came up with that text instead of the UTF8 format, which is why I thought it changed. Odd that Chrome would format it one time, then not the next.

Glad to be part of the this!
06-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

Hang in there, guys!

photo ForARGForum_zpskveds4md.png

"Organised" this piece as I am feeling creatively "energised" by this ARG

photo EdARGnoposts_zpsihklsujo.png
Edit: Without Ed
(not an edit pro but hey)enjoy! '

Last edited by Gunnr; 06-03-2016 at 06:24 AM..
06-02-2016, 08:17 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

Take a look at @edmudokon's Tweet: https://twitter.com/edmudokon/status...922649600?s=09

Too many secrets? Any areas from Exoddus with loads of secret areas anyone can think of? :P

Last edited by Connell; 06-02-2016 at 08:19 AM..
06-02-2016, 11:57 AM
MalumInSe
Zappfly

MalumInSe  (23)

I don't see anything changed in the source code of oddworld.com/soulstorm either.
We can scratch that one off, no secrets there... for now.
06-03-2016, 05:16 AM
jaytechmedia
Zappfly

: Keswick
: 5
jaytechmedia  (10)

You know, its funny, I was on Teamspeak with my friend last night, and he was playing Exoddus, and he found a couple of secrets in a row. Ill ask him where it was when he wakes up
(Even though I dont think thats going to help us much)
06-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

I still want to say the reflection in Abe's eye is Necrum.
Here's what I think I see

They also are a fairly close match when I fade the Necrun pic to the eye reflection

Faded a bit more

@

(mind you I had to play with the perspective and warp it to match the angle of the building

As far as the "secrets... too many secrets" tweet from Ed the only things I can think of (and it's abstract) is the 1992 film Sneakers, where the phrase "too many secrets" was the solved anagram of "setec astrology".
But again it's from 1992 so I doubt it but the protagonists are computers hackers so the parallels are kind of amusing none the less. /:

Last edited by Gunnr; 06-03-2016 at 11:52 AM..
06-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Scrabaniac
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2009
: Somewhere in the UK
: 838
Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)

Almost 100% certain it is a reflection of Necrum Mines.

06-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

I completely agree it's probably a reflection of the Necrum burial grounds, I think that's generally been agreed upon. But the question is, what do we do with that information? Anything Necrum-related I've tried in the chat box doesn't return anything, so there has to be more we're missing.

Last edited by Connell; 06-03-2016 at 06:58 PM..
06-04-2016, 02:54 AM
SligValet
Sniper Wasp

: Apr 2007
: Sweden
: 251
SligValet  (79)

Just a simple shot in the dark, but has anyone tried twittering that image to OWI or Ed

06-04-2016, 04:47 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

Maybe a stereogram? magic eye tricks? somthing of that nature applied to any of the pics we have so far?
(Going to check)
Sigh* I'm running straight out of ideas. :\ *shrugs*

Last edited by Gunnr; 06-04-2016 at 09:14 AM..
06-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Dank_Meme
Zappfly

: Mar 2016
: Norway
: 17
Dank_Meme  (19)

Its probably been said before.

Looking a little at the code i found that the links for the solved puzzles go like "squares_01.jpg" when not solved and "squares_solved_01.jpg" when solved.

And when looking at the url of image 5 it is http://www.oddworld.com/soulstorm/ed/GE3IJNSA.jpg
I've already tried putting it in the place of 7 and 9.
Does GE3IJNSA have something to do in the game?

Last edited by Dank_Meme; 06-06-2016 at 11:14 PM..
06-07-2016, 03:43 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

:
Its probably been said before.

Looking a little at the code i found that the links for the solved puzzles go like "squares_01.jpg" when not solved and "squares_solved_01.jpg" when solved.

And when looking at the url of image 5 it is http://www.oddworld.com/soulstorm/ed/GE3IJNSA.jpg
I've already tried putting it in the place of 7 and 9.
Does GE3IJNSA have something to do in the game?
This has been noticed before, but nonetheless it is rather strange. Seemingly everything is important in some way in this ARG, but that URL has been like that for a good while, though, so I'd be hesitant to say it's a new clue to guide us on our way. Who knows though.

It's kinda sad to see this ARG grind to a complete halt. I've been having a peek at the Abe face image every day for a short while when I can, in case anything jumps out that wasn't immediately obvious, but I can't see anything new.

O Ed, Where Art Thou?

06-21-2016, 03:26 PM
seniormeatbox
Stingbee

: Nowhere
: 96
seniormeatbox  (47)

I'm back, computer was broken for a while, is the ARG still going?
06-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

:
Pretty stagnant

06-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

:
At the moment, no. There haven't been any changes to the source code in a couple of weeks, nor any new form responses or any communication from Ed. I think interest dipped as the communication became less frequent; there's only so long we can stare at the same picture of Abe's face looking for clues that might not even exist

Either they're just waiting it out until one of us finds something in the face picture, or they want to slow the ARG down for now whilst some other marketing is prepared or something. Either way it's a shame, it was fun. I do have to say it would have been nice to have some confirmation from Ed if there was something find in the fire, though, as god knows how long I've spent examining it I'm sure interest will pick back up once it gets back into swing.

Last edited by Connell; 06-21-2016 at 07:05 PM..
06-22-2016, 02:49 AM
ODDREN
Thudslug

: Dec 2005
: Moscow, Russia
: 153
ODDREN  (71)

ed emerged:
https://twitter.com/edmudokon/status/745566077136969728
06-22-2016, 02:58 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Yes indeed, two messages today from Ed:

EDIT: PIECE 9 is UP!

Separate topic for Piece 9 available here:
http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?p=622040

06-22-2016, 05:13 AM
seniormeatbox
Stingbee

seniormeatbox  (47)

Whats in the eye is necrum. I don't think that was anything important, but rather something to throw us off track until they made piece 9.

As for piece 9...
06-22-2016, 06:21 AM
ndvr
Bolamite

: Paramonia
: 72
ndvr  (10)

Uh, I don't know if it's intended or just a simple error, but now every input in Ed's box and pushing "SEND" or Enter keys results in page reload.
06-22-2016, 06:22 AM
seniormeatbox
Stingbee

seniormeatbox  (47)

8 hours in, puzzle solved.
06-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

There are now some new generic responses:

*** WE ARE MANY. WE ARE COMING. WE WILL NOT STOP. ***
*** WE'RE NEARLY THERE, IT'S NEARLY TIME TO ENERGIZE ***
*** WE WILL RISE ***
*** DON'T DRINK THE ---- ***
*** THE SPIRITS ARE RISING ***

8291 now returns:
*** 8291 *** instead of the "OH, YOU CAN STILL HEAR ME? GREAT!" response. There's probably a few more.

Last edited by Connell; 06-22-2016 at 06:46 AM..
06-22-2016, 06:46 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

The messages in the input box are positively revolutionary now.

*** NEARLY, IT'S NEARLY TIME. STAY QUIET JUST A LITTLE LONGER. ***
*** WE WILL RISE. ***

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

06-22-2016, 10:14 AM
acedude
Bolamite

: Michigan
: 64
acedude  (80)

Man, timezones are killing me. I get home from work to see piece 9 is all solved. Glad to see the puzzle is back up to some degree though.
06-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

:
The messages in the input box are positively revolutionary now.

*** NEARLY, IT'S NEARLY TIME. STAY QUIET JUST A LITTLE LONGER. ***
*** WE WILL RISE. ***
Sounds like they want us to wait again? Maybe an audio will crop up, if Ed is asking if we're listening.

Back to the ARG :/

06-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Discussion on piece 7 should take place in the dedicated topic:
http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=22301