Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

11-02-2002, 01:50 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Flying cars! Do you think they are practical?

Remember the Jetsons and Back To The Future 2? Remember those flying cars? When I was younger I alweys thought by the time the year 2000 came we would be useing flying cars in a futuristic society. But obvieously that was completely wrong but still the possiability of us replaceing regular cars with flying cars might actually come true. A week ago today I was watching the news in my area and they mentioned about someone inventing the first hover car and that in 18 months we will begin seeing them. I doubt it because there is no way the US Government will grant them to do this because to me it doesn't seem really practical.

Think of what could happen if you got into a wreck with one of those. Not only you have to worry about the damage but also crashing down. The vertical problem. Why do we need flying cars? And imagine how much it would cost to make sky ways instead of freeways. A lot of people would be out of jobs because the auto mobel industry would be out of business unless they manufacture the hover cars. It would be a total replacement of what we know of today. But do you think this would be a good idea and if not then how could we improve our transportation in the future?

Last edited by paramiteabe; 11-01-2002 at 05:52 PM..
11-02-2002, 03:41 AM
munchman
Clakker Relic Miner

: Dec 2001
: Unknown
: 886
munchman  (10)

i think it is possible.........but it will take a long time for us to make them.....................i would not fly in one...i dont like planes.........so i think it is not a good idea......but it would proble work some time.............

11-02-2002, 06:21 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

I think that Flying cars are practical. Since there will be less cars on the road and less traffic. I think that they will be able to let cars to be put into the market.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

11-02-2002, 08:02 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

i saw this stuff on TV.

the flying car would have a gps system programmed into it so all u need to do is tell it where to go, the skyhigh ways would be made by the distance between each car making it almost imposible to crash! the only problem is that they are powerd by 4 vertical take off propellers, so what fule would we use?

solar power?

electricity?

vinegar?

11-02-2002, 10:27 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Interesting. I was thinking of a car that could hover maybe one or two feat off the ground. That way we would not have to construct a new pathway in the clouds. Keep everything but change the dynamics of the car completely. Think of an air hocky table. Make a car really sleek looking light in weight. It will still have wheels but the wheels could fold inwards which then could lift the car up through speed. Like if you were to get onto the freeway you pick up speed and then the wheels fold in like an airplane but the car would not keep going up, it would glide across the surface like a saucer. And as it slows down to stop, the wheels un fold and slowly come back out. Now the question is how do we keep the car off the ground? I guess the areal dynamics of the car could be a part of it but what kind of power would keep it on a small cushion of air? Well there are hover carfts and that is where we could start from. A similar dasign like that.

I think cars should be powered by hydrogen which is from water. If we use hydrogen powered cars all we need is plan ordinary water. That would be an awesome turn around in improveing our enviorment. Think of it. All we need to do is replace gas stations with Hydrogen stations instead of gas tanks have hydrogen tanks and redesign the the model of the car. Its as simple as that. But I see that in our life time but possiably later we will have cars take to the skies.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 11-02-2002 at 02:49 AM..
11-02-2002, 10:40 AM
salty pretzils
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2002
: Fuckyeahistan
: 502
salty pretzils  (21)

Well, the roads would need less maintanance.
11-02-2002, 11:37 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Flying cars not practical? Now think, theres no traffic jams, faster times while getting places, and a greater access to areas. That just seems obvious.

:
Originaly posted by paramiteabe
Its as simple as that.
As simple as finding out how to break down water, and then using the hydrogen for power. Pretty simple
11-03-2002, 11:48 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Flying cars not practical? Now think, theres no traffic jams, faster times while getting places, and a greater access to areas. That just seems obvious.

Well think about it we will be moveing all of our traffic to the skies. It would be the same thing only now instead of traffic on the ground it is all up in the sky. I don't think people are going to want to wake up to a mourning where they see nothing but traffic in their view of the sun rise or sun set. And if it was both on ground and in the air you would have traffic in both places. Why not keep what we got and just simply change the car completely so they would glide smoothly across our freeways and keep our enviorments clean and makeing your ride smoother and faster? Yes the concept of flying cars is pretty cool but do we see it in our life time?

Last edited by paramiteabe; 11-03-2002 at 03:59 AM..
11-03-2002, 04:34 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

:
Originally posted by paramiteabe
Yes the concept of flying cars is pretty cool but do we see it in our life time?
GO help them design one, and maybe with your help we will.
11-03-2002, 09:52 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

I'm not expecting flying cars for many, many years.
11-04-2002, 03:53 AM
Pilot

: Apr 2001
: ▄▀▄▀
: 2,722
Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)

Ah yes, I heard about this one night on Coast to Coast AM. Of course they are possible. Practical? What is practical? Would you (referring to all readers) deem any piece of technology practical? I think we could do just fine without all of it. But aside from that, flying cars have a positive side and a negative side; just like everything else. I do not see anything in the way of the production and distribution of the proposed vehicle. Like any technology, it will be a hit or a flop. I await the release!

Here is the website for a company that is developing the flying contraption. This has actually already been produced, and there are pics on this site of the vehicles. I must say the design is catchy!

http://www.moller.com

Definitely check it out!

11-04-2002, 10:09 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

That is a pretty cool picture Pilot it sort of looks like an airplan. Who knows it might be sooner then we think. I ment practical in the importance of the use of it in our economy today. Thats what I was referring to. I mean do we really need it today in our economy? This all started because I was haveing this intresting conversation with one of my college instructors on this topic. When I left I thought "won't this be a good thread." I think the design is a little scetchy at most. If I could draw something up as a design I could make it look more saucer shaped and very sleek looking because of my profound interest in science fiction.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 11-04-2002 at 02:20 AM..
11-04-2002, 01:42 PM
brewmaster
Fuzzle

: Jun 2002
: SoulStorm Brewery in England
: 149
brewmaster  (10)

You could make one like a glider with big wings or put a jet engine in one.

11-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

Putting a jet engine on a glider is is a death wish.

Now you have to think, we're never going to see them around anytime soon due to people needing to learn how to use them, the immense cost of them, plus haveing a design that actualy works. PA, you may be able to draw something cool, but you have to think about the practicality of the design
11-05-2002, 12:11 AM
ZombieX
Boombat

: May 2002
: n
: 217
ZombieX  (39)

why have flying cars for fucks sake? just do away with them altogether and get a helicopter.
11-05-2002, 12:31 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

Ugh.. That means a joystick thing, which is something I definately don't want...
11-06-2002, 02:27 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

I reckon flying cars are really cool.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.