Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

02-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Auriel
Sniper Wasp

: Apr 2013
: Floating in the mist
: 257
Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)Auriel  (533)
Hidden gems

So as I've been playing my huuuuuge backlog of 90s era games, I've come across some amazing games that I hardly ever see get the recognition they deserve. I really wanted to talk more about these oft-forgotten games, as well as share recommendations.
Some of the games in question:
  • A Bug's Life - surprisingly fun 3D platformer tie-in for the movie. A bit on the easy side, but pretty creative.
  • Kula World/Roll Away - incredibly unique, ambient 3D puzzle game
  • Kurushi/IQ - another great puzzle game, though a cheap version can be hard to find.
  • Dune (1992) - classic graphic adventure blended with strategy. Very immersive and the soundtrack is amazing for its time.
  • Rocks'n'Diamonds - a comprehensive compilation/level editor for various Boulder Dash-styled games. Awesome game (collection of games?) if you love this kind of thing.
Feel free to share your own finds and suggestions, whether they're retro classics, obscure indie games, or anything you find underappreciated.
02-14-2018, 04:02 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2007
: England
: 507
Vanilla ✜  (153)Vanilla ✜  (153)

So I've recently found that Toy Story 2 on the ps1 is way better than it reasonably should be for a movie tie in.

There's also an OWF Discord,
join here.

02-14-2018, 05:55 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I only ever played the Toy Story 2 game, which is great fun, but I love the soundtrack for Kula World.

An oddball I like is The Castle Doctrine. Gameplay-wise, it's like a PvP puzzle game: you design a complex puzzle in the form of a deathtrap house and test it out to make sure it's possible to get to the vault. Once it's proven possible, you get access to all other players houses, which you can then try to enter and get to their vaults to steal their cash. Meanwhile, people can do the same to yours, even when you're not online. This means you will, more than once, return to a home that's been ransacked by a crafty player who saw through your clever traps. Death is a harsh reset; if you mess up in anyone's house, including your own, you die and have to start from scratch. One minute, the thrill of success, the next, the despair of failure.

I'm also very fond of Supreme Commander, which I find captivating for its scale and wonderful controls, compared to other RTS classics like Age of Empires. It's a remarkably complex RTS in terms of features and yet remarkably well-balanced. I don't think the game receives quite as much attention as it should, compared to games like Age of Empires or Starcraft, even though those are good too.

Recently, I replayed LEGO Alpha Team, which has 3D puzzling mechanics I've never seen in any other game. It's only let down by very dated and questionable camera controls, because the puzzles you have to solve are quite well thought-out, sometimes even offering multiple solutions.

I also adore Road Rash for PC, which is still my go-to for violence and driving, not GTA.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

02-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Littleleeroy
Boombat

: Aug 2008
: Australia
: 227
Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)

I loved A Bug's Life as a kid. Would play through the whole game anytime I played it.
I remember the Kula World demo but I never got to play the full game - it was a great puzzle game though.

And was about to mention AE then realised what forum I'm on...
02-15-2018, 12:47 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

I remember A Bug's Life, played the ever-loving shit out of that game. I also had the demo for Kurushi, never bought it though...

I really loved Army Men: Omega Soldier, but I can't imagine that aged well. I also loved McGrath vs Pastrana, and I know that aged like shit.

The only game from the 90s I still play constantly is Age of Empires, love me some gott damn classic RTS.

02-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2007
: England
: 507
Vanilla ✜  (153)Vanilla ✜  (153)

Aww man this has reminded me of a game freaking noone has heard of called Freak Out or Stretch Panic. It was this super weird, clearly Japanese game where you played as a little girl with a sentiment scarf who has to fight her sisters who've been taken over my Demons of Vanity. There's some normal level too where you..."fight" other forms of Vanity Demons in the shape of women with giant breasts. Jontron Game Grumps played it actually.

(Insert Helicopter tits joke here)

There's also an OWF Discord,
join here.

02-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

When I was a little kid I used to play the first Mortyr game a lot. It's similiar to Wolfenstein (since it's a fps about nazis) with graphics similiar to Quake.
I loved it back then but looking at it now it may not be one of the best old fps games. And it's not a very known title I think.

02-15-2018, 11:02 AM
CravenKnight
Fuzzle

: Apr 2017
: Dresden
: 112
CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)

yeah Kula World is great but i only ever had the demo. another demo i had was something called Blitter Boy - Operation: Monster Mall which was this strangely addictive game where you have to shoot ghosts and save babies round after round. i never got to the end of it because the rounds just kept coming, maybe it maxed out at round 100 or something but i never made it that far. it was fucking weird. can't even find a wiki page on it.

another old one is MDK. i remember it would show you some dodgy french music video with clips from the game when you completed it which was cool as fuck at the time.

:
I really loved Army Men: Omega Soldier, but I can't imagine that aged well.
oh i played that too, but my favourite Army Men game was Air, Sea, Land. i played that a fuck ton.