07-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

: Jul 2018
: Wherever I want
: 67
Stitchlips25  (93)
Question Worst game?

What is the worst game that you have played?

07-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Alf Shall Rise
Outlaw Shooter

: Feb 2007
: New Jersey
: 1,438
Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)

that's a little hard to say, there are a lot of games that i've played that i thought were pretty bad. i wouldn't really know what determines a game to be "the worst" unless we just go for games that are notoriously bad like superman 64 or that e.t. game (neither of which i've played, just using them as examples).
07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

Stitchlips25  (93)

For me it would be sonic forces

07-30-2018, 11:17 AM
Alf Shall Rise
Outlaw Shooter

Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)

is it really worse than shadow the hedgehog?
07-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

Stitchlips25  (93)

Forces is devoid of fun and wastes my time with bland level design, shit story, and just no reason to exist

07-30-2018, 09:14 PM
Littleleeroy
Boombat

: Aug 2008
: Australia
: 227
Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)

See when I am playing a game but not enjoying it, I stop playing. So choosing the worst game is difficult because I don't play them enough to decide.
07-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Can't think of any truly terrible games that I've played, merely ones that frustrated me so much that I didn't bother proceeding.

I haven't played Limbo of the Lost, but in case you're interested here's a journal of a guy who played it and lived to tell the tale. Set aside an hour or so to read it, as it's pretty long and detailed. Set aside a reserve of mental health as well, because by the end of it I was pretty close to gibbering.

07-30-2018, 11:13 PM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

Stitchlips25  (93)

Forces only lasts about 4 hours yet it feels like an eternity

07-31-2018, 09:24 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

i'm not trying to troll when i say this, but MO was probably one of the worst games i've played. the only reason i completed it was because i wanted to know what happened in the storyline, and just so i could say i'd completed it. the gameplay just bored me silly. for example remember the part in vykkers labs where you have to use a crane to move like a million mudokon eggs one at a time into a chute without breaking any of them? did anyone actually enjoy that part?

other than that, Predator: Concrete Jungle kind of drove me crazy. it was a game for the original Xbox. it's been well over a decade since i played it but all i remember is that the controls were fucking terrible, the level design was boring as hell and if you played it for an extended length of time you'd get a headache.

i tried to beat the game but i succumbed to it's shitty controls, they were so anally specific. it's one of those games where you press a button to perform an action but find out you weren't in the exact right position to do it, so you do nothing while getting shot at etc. repeat that a dozen times and your character dies, then you have to start the level over again. think of it like an early, terrible version of the Assassin's Creed games. yeah you can jump off walls and shit, but in this if you're not pixel perfect about it you won't succeed. fucking frustrating.

another one is Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace for PS1. mainly because, even at the time, the graphics were downright terrible. i remember playing it for the first time and being surprised and disappointed with how shitty the graphics were. you couldn't make out what some things were because they were so blocky and pixelated. look at this:

that's supposed to be Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. in 1999. lol there's no excuse for how shite those graphics are. they look like oblongs on legs. it seems like it was a game that was just churned out quickly so they could release it at the same time as the film.

plus it had tank controls which are so old fashioned. if you wanted to turn a corner you had to stop in your tracks then hit left or right to rotate your character in that direction, then forwards to run again. add a bunch of droids shooting you while you stand there slowly rotating and it becomes almost funny.

Last edited by MA; 07-31-2018 at 09:56 AM..
07-31-2018, 11:10 AM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

Stitchlips25  (93)

:
i'm not trying to troll when i say this, but MO was probably one of the worst games i've played. the only reason i completed it was because i wanted to know what happened in the storyline, and just so i could say i'd completed it. the gameplay just bored me silly. for example remember the part in vykkers labs where you have to use a crane to move like a million mudokon eggs one at a time into a chute without breaking any of them? did anyone actually enjoy that part?

other than that, Predator: Concrete Jungle kind of drove me crazy. it was a game for the original Xbox. it's been well over a decade since i played it but all i remember is that the controls were fucking terrible, the level design was boring as hell and if you played it for an extended length of time you'd get a headache.

i tried to beat the game but i succumbed to it's shitty controls, they were so anally specific. it's one of those games where you press a button to perform an action but find out you weren't in the exact right position to do it, so you do nothing while getting shot at etc. repeat that a dozen times and your character dies, then you have to start the level over again. think of it like an early, terrible version of the Assassin's Creed games. yeah you can jump off walls and shit, but in this if you're not pixel perfect about it you won't succeed. fucking frustrating.

another one is Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace for PS1. mainly because, even at the time, the graphics were downright terrible. i remember playing it for the first time and being surprised and disappointed with how shitty the graphics were. you couldn't make out what some things were because they were so blocky and pixelated. look at this:

that's supposed to be Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. in 1999. lol there's no excuse for how shite those graphics are. they look like oblongs on legs. it seems like it was a game that was just churned out quickly so they could release it at the same time as the film.

plus it had tank controls which are so old fashioned. if you wanted to turn a corner you had to stop in your tracks then hit left or right to rotate your character in that direction, then forwards to run again. add a bunch of droids shooting you while you stand there slowly rotating and it becomes almost funny.
Vykkers labs is one of the worst levels in all of oddworld

08-01-2018, 12:11 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I've played a lot of games I found extremely tedious and irritating to play, game I personally found impossible to enjoy. A quick list of titles I can think of right now: Beowulf, Wii Carnival Games, Men of War, Rust and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Beowulf, I lost patience with almost immediately. The game begins with one of the most tedious quick-time events ever: the button pressing is highly imprecise and starts over after one single mistake. And for what? Just so Beowulf can chant a bit and get his men to row a bit faster. I did eventually finish it, only to find that these were a core part of gameplay: moving stones requires this event, singing in halls requires this, almost everything that isn't combat requires it. At last though, I got to a fighting section. And this was somehow even worse. Almost instantly, your weapon breaks and you need to get a new one from conveniently placed sword stashes, which breaks nearly as quickly. Which wouldn't be nearly as big a problem if you didn't have to watch the ass of 12 other NPCs to make sure they didn't die. After that, I stopped playing because a game where you mostly do quicktime events truncated with miserable combat that mainly consists of switching weapons just didn't seem worth it.

Wii Carnival Games just mocks you for its questionable controls and feels just as cheap as real carnival games do. Not a great experience.

Men of War has some phenomenally bad voice-acting. This is largely due to it coming from a small Ukrainian company, which is sort of forgivable. But the game itself isn't even that good. It runs pretty badly on most computers, control of units is fairly erratic, most armored vehicles cannot be trusted to do anything useful without manual control. The physics engine is especially frustrating, with tanks being able to push over trees but finding small rocks completely impassable. Balance isn't great either, with a clear upper hand going to the Russians, who sweep the field with their better tanks and better elite infantry. One might think standard infantry and artillery would be their foils, but artillery is so hamstringed by absurdly short range that it hardly makes any difference and standard infantry is only marginally cheaper so you may as well not bother. This was a game I put a surprisingly large amount of time into, thinking I could master it and then trying mods that allegedly fixed the game. It became quite clear to me that the game was beyond fixing though, so I haven't played it in nearly a decade now.

Rust, when I played it, was slow, boring, buggy and just unfun. I turned it off after just a short while.

Warrior Within is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever been through in all of gaming. Yes, even more so than Munch's Oddysee.

When I first played Munch's Oddysee, I was still fairly blank on what to expect in a 3D game. My previous experiences had given me small environments of precision platforming. Munch's Oddysee felt open and free by comparison and at the time, the humor was good enough for me.

Warrior Within, however, I didn't play until recently. I had just returned to Sands of Time, its predecessor, and played it through from start to finish and enjoyed it immensely, finding it one of the best gaming experiences I'd ever gone through, with the story meshing well with gameplay and the story itself being surprisingly strong, even with such a deceptively simple setup. Then I put in Warrior Within, already hesitant at the cover art.

I was almost instantly disappointed when I saw the loading screen was blooding dripping down a strange symbol. And then the menu opened with metal blaring. Not really what I was hoping for. Part of what I liked so much about Sands of Time was its tone and setting: mature, dealing with personal growth in a very real manner, but light, able to do it with a few smiles along the way, in the form of witty banter. Warrior Within lacks this from the very word go.

Then I saw Shahdee and I probably should have just stopped playing then and there. I didn't enjoy a tutorial that I had to replay 30 times just to beat which coincidentally also taught me almost nothing. But I did play through it and found the game continued in more or less the same vein of angst-filled metal and edgy bullshit. So I stopped.

Warrior Within is exceptionally disappointing because it clearly runs on more or less the same engine as Sands of Time, but rather than exploit this to make the game better, they made the game worse. It's as though someone bought you a lovely car, then said they can make it better and just tore the body apart, took all the seats out, replaced them with bigger engines and then painted it all black with red lines of blood. It may be faster and it may be more exciting, but it's stupid, uncomfortable and definitely not the better game. Warrior Within, for me, is such a disappointing followup that had I played it in isolation, I might have enjoyed it, but knowing that it's the sequel to Sands of Time, I simply cannot find it in me to give it another chance to prove its worth.

Those are the games I particularly dislike. There are some others and there's definitely games that are less functional and arguably worse from design and technical viewpoints, but these are ones that I personally can't stand.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

08-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Goddamit, Oddey, you break my heart I love Warrior Within.
08-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

Stitchlips25  (93)

:
Goddamit, Oddey, you break my heart I love Warrior Within.
But what game do you hate Varrok?

08-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Deus Ex...
08-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

:
Deus Ex...
Way to extend the olive branch, Varrok.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

08-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

...Invisible War
08-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

Oddey god damn it not with this Warrior Withing thing again

08-01-2018, 04:07 PM
OddjobAbe
National Treasure

: England
: 3,121
OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)

:

I had this for PC. Jedi Power Battles for Dreamcast was the definitive Episode I game, this one was a bit shit. Clunky as fuck as you say, I never finished it -thin I got past Naboo or something, then called it.

Re. MO, fuck those cranes, I almost forgot about them. My favourite part of the whole game was the initial escape from the labs, and on replays, even that was a little bit laborious. In its themes, that game showed potential to be just as dark as AO, and you'd see very thin slithers of that between the cartoony stuff, but the gameplay was just flaccid and repetitive.

08-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Alf Shall Rise
Outlaw Shooter

I liked that they covered pharmaceuticals in MO with the Vykkers, it felt like it made sense in respect to previous games in terms of theme (such as meat processing with RuptureFarms). But god whenever I think of how it played, I think of that stupid level where you need to drink expresso and then carry several Mudokons one by one through that path surrounded by big bro Sligs. That was fuckin duuuuumb
08-01-2018, 06:09 PM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

:
Men of War has some phenomenally bad voice-acting. This is largely due to it coming from a small Ukrainian company, which is sort of forgivable. But the game itself isn't even that good. It runs pretty badly on most computers, control of units is fairly erratic, most armored vehicles cannot be trusted to do anything useful without manual control. The physics engine is especially frustrating, with tanks being able to push over trees but finding small rocks completely impassable. Balance isn't great either, with a clear upper hand going to the Russians, who sweep the field with their better tanks and better elite infantry. One might think standard infantry and artillery would be their foils, but artillery is so hamstringed by absurdly short range that it hardly makes any difference and standard infantry is only marginally cheaper so you may as well not bother. This was a game I put a surprisingly large amount of time into, thinking I could master it and then trying mods that allegedly fixed the game. It became quite clear to me that the game was beyond fixing though, so I haven't played it in nearly a decade now.
that reminds me of Medal of Honor: Airborne. for a start it was frustratingly tough, even on a lower difficulty setting. i also don't understand how dying in-game works. whenever i was killed i would be parachuted back into the action, but i'm still not sure whether the whole level started from the beginning again, or if it just continues from when you were killed.

the final straw for me was when i came up against a tank and found out that no matter where you hide, even if the tank can't see you, it will constantly fire it's cannon in your direction. just constantly. i like realism in FPS's and that just really fucking bugged me how unrealistic it is. you'd be hiding behind a wall, which isn't destructible, and the tank would keep firing at your exact position even though it can't see you, hitting the wall. so trying to run out of cover and throw an explosive underneath a tank that knows exactly where you are all the time is pretty hard, and fucking stupid. you had to time it so that you ran out of cover while it was reloading, and even then you only had a few seconds to run towards it, throw a bomb, then get back behind cover before it blew you to fucking kingdom come.

i raged over that a lot.

:
I had this for PC. Jedi Power Battles for Dreamcast was the definitive Episode I game, this one was a bit shit. Clunky as fuck as you say, I never finished it -thin I got past Naboo or something, then called it.
i think i got to Tatooine and got stuck because i literally didn't know what to do next. i was looking for that junk dealer alien guy with wings from the film, i've forgot his name, but i couldn't find him. it's been years and years though so i'm probably recalling it wrong.

:
Re. MO, fuck those cranes, I almost forgot about them. My favourite part of the whole game was the initial escape from the labs, and on replays, even that was a little bit laborious. In its themes, that game showed potential to be just as dark as AO, and you'd see very thin slithers of that between the cartoony stuff, but the gameplay was just flaccid and repetitive.
yeah i feel the same way. after the first few levels when you reach the middle of the game it gets really repetitive. it becomes a basic formula of:

1) start in a new area
2) save all the mudokons/fuzzles in that area
3) possess the head glukkon
4) get the glukkon to donate all their moolah to the Lulu fund
5) repeat

at the time i played it the only motivation i had to keep going, other than the fact i wanted to advance the storyline, was those spinning newspaper FMV's you'd get at the end of each level telling you what you'd done and how it affected the cartel.

:
I liked that they covered pharmaceuticals in MO with the Vykkers, it felt like it made sense in respect to previous games in terms of theme (such as meat processing with RuptureFarms). But god whenever I think of how it played, I think of that stupid level where you need to drink expresso and then carry several Mudokons one by one through that path surrounded by big bro Sligs. That was fuckin duuuuumb
oh fuck, that level is burned into my cerebral cortex. i remember thinking at the time "is this right? am i supposed to be doing it like this?" while running back and forth like a lunatic, one mud at a time, because it just seemed like a really dumb solution to the level. it was basically 'pick up a mud and run like hell while being shot at'. really haphazard. not exactly skillful gameplay.
08-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

Am I dreaming? MA got his pure n original drunk form?

08-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

The MO newspapers were excellent. Enough to motivate me to play the boring game.

:

08-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

I try to only play good games, but Resident Evil 6 was definitely the angriest I've ever been whilst playing something, so much so that I had to stop playing. Not out of rage, but disappointment. It's the only game where I actually fell asleep whilst playing.