09-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Ledeux
Stunk

: Apr 2014
: ledeux
: 49
Ledeux  (26)

:
I'm just joking around. It's the worst game in the series but I understand OWI were fucked by EA or something and a TON of shit that was going to be originally included suddenly wasn't because they had to rush shit and so on. If they had made what they intended it would have been fucking great.

Man there's more to life than HD remakes of exactly the same shit you've played before. They're offering a completely new game with similar storyline and some people are just fixated on whether its going to be identical to the original or not. I've been chatting with someone on Discord about this and I don't mean to single you out but you're a prime example of why this fanbase can't have nice things.

Why can't you? ITS A NEW FUCKING GAME

Whooaaaa easy there!! LIke I said, I'm there playing this game day one no matter what it is. I also just expressed my wish to see the Slig Barracks in glorious HD, that's it! Not a shot for shot remake of the game. I saw they theyre including FeeCO, Soulstrom Brewery, Bonewerkz, so they must have Slig barracks right??

ALSO, for the side scrolling thing, dude, imagine your playing Halo (Just an example) and its fucking dope and then all of a sudden, the sequel theyre like oh, its a third person side stroller now BUT ITS GOT AWESOME NEW STUFF though. It might be a stupid comparison but it gets my point across. Side scrolling is Oddworld to a lot of people and if they wanted to change that, they shouldn't have made NEw n tasty sidescrolling--- a game that was meant to introduce more people to Oddworld.

That being said, if it still is a side scroller, they can still add SO much to it and make it awesome and not just a screen for screen remake if Exoddus
09-25-2017, 06:28 PM
CravenKnight
Fuzzle

: Apr 2017
: Dresden
: 112
CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)

:
Whooaaaa easy there!! LIke I said, I'm there playing this game day one no matter what it is. I also just expressed my wish to see the Slig Barracks in glorious HD, that's it! Not a shot for shot remake of the game. I saw they theyre including FeeCO, Soulstrom Brewery, Bonewerkz, so they must have Slig barracks right??
I'm not having a go at you, that's why I said "I don't mean to single you out", it's just you fit the stereotypical Oddworld fan down to a T. There's no need to be up in arms.

:
ALSO, for the side scrolling thing, dude, imagine your playing Halo (Just an example) and its fucking dope and then all of a sudden, the sequel theyre like oh, its a third person side stroller now BUT ITS GOT AWESOME NEW STUFF though. It might be a stupid comparison but it gets my point across. Side scrolling is Oddworld to a lot of people and if they wanted to change that, they shouldn't have made NEw n tasty sidescrolling--- a game that was meant to introduce more people to Oddworld.
When they were making NnT the majority of fans just wanted an HD remake of the original, if OWI had decided to make it a 3D landscape or whatever you can guarantee a number of people would have got pissy about it. So to say they should keep Soulstorm the same as NnT because it was meant to introduce more people to Oddworld is kinda null and void. Yeah it was a new introduction for new players, but it was just a general retelling of the same story because THAT'S WHAT THE FANS WANTED. Soulstorm is trying to be it's own game whilst incorporating ideas the Oddworld community has suggested and also telling the same story. that's a lot of work and to ask for it to remain a sidescroller when OWI have said over and over again that it's a new fucking game is just dumb, man. It's dumb. Look at how fucking cool it looks. Does it really matter if it's sidescrolling or not lol?

Maybe it will be a sidescroller, maybe not, who knows. Personally I hope it isn't. I hope it's a birds-eye view where the camera spins 360 whenever you possess something to make the player feel sea sick.

In short: they're dedicated to their fans and their fans like to keep playing the same old shit.

:
That being said, if it still is a side scroller, they can still add SO much to it and make it awesome and not just a screen for screen remake if Exoddus
What's this fucking fixation on sidescrolling dude? Do you sidescroll your way to school every day? Are you that dedicated? Do you really not want a cool new Oddworld game if it has a different POV from the original? Why is that so important? You're genuinely making me laugh but not in a good way. I mean this might sound like a far-out concept, but get this: maybe they can still add all the cool shit, but NOT have it sidescrolling! D'ya think? Huh? No? Really? Oh, okay. I'll just kill myself then.

Actually yeah, you're definitely why we can't have nice things. Sidescroller or bust, OWI. I hope you're reading this Lorne, because obviously you are. We want side-on action of Abe's sexy bod, otherwise we SPIT ON IT

Last edited by CravenKnight; 09-25-2017 at 06:34 PM..
09-25-2017, 06:57 PM
SkullFire58
Zappfly

: Sep 2017
: California
: 17
SkullFire58  (10)

:
I'm just joking around. It's the worst game in the series but I understand OWI were fucked by EA or something and a TON of shit that was going to be originally included suddenly wasn't because they had to rush shit and so on. If they had made what they intended it would have been fucking great.
Ah, okay gotcha. Would definitely love to see the true Munch. Maybe some of what was cut will even sneak it's way into Soulstorm?

:
Soulstorm is trying to be it's own game whilst incorporating ideas the Oddworld community has suggested and also telling the same story. that's a lot of work and to ask for it to remain a sidescroller when OWI have said over and over again that it's a new fucking game is just dumb, man. It's dumb. Look at how fucking cool it looks. Does it really matter if it's sidescrolling or not lol?
To be fair, when OWI asked what people wanted next, most did vote for Exoddus HD, then we had a few months to let it sink in that that's what we would be getting next before they announced that they were going to use the original vision they had for the game. Most of us just assumed they mean't story and lore stuff, maybe some new enemies or areas. It wasn't even until this EGX panel that people are now questioning what the gameplay will be. Personally, I just really want to play in the N'n'T engine some more. The controls were so much more responsive and movement was much more fluid than the original, it was really fun to do those speed-run achievements. Kinda wish it had mod support for some custom levels.
09-25-2017, 07:12 PM
CravenKnight
Fuzzle

: Apr 2017
: Dresden
: 112
CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)

:
To be fair, when OWI asked what people wanted next, most did vote for Exoddus HD, then we had a few months to let it sink in that that's what we would be getting next before they announced that they were going to use the original vision they had for the game. Most of us just assumed they mean't story and lore stuff, maybe some new enemies or areas. It wasn't even until this EGX panel that people are now questioning what the gameplay will be. Personally, I just really want to play in the N'n'T engine some more. The controls were so much more responsive and movement was much more fluid than the original, it was really fun to do those speed-run achievements. Kinda wish it had mod support for some custom levels.
That's fair enough man. Personally I wish they'd just take off their restraints and do whatever they want with their future games, but like you said since this is more true to their original vision then I guess that's just as good. Don't get me wrong, I like the sidescroller aspect too. I was actually a little miffed when i learned that the grid system for Abe's movements was removed in NnT, but whatever man. I don't mind. It's a new game. I'm especially excited for Soulstorm though because it seems brand new, even though the story is still sorta the same, it's a new game. New mechanics, different story aspects, returning characters (since Molluck wasn't in AE) and completely new characters too (more or less), it's all cool as fuck.

It's down to personal taste at the end of the day. Honestly I'd like OWI to give the middle finger to the fans and do whatever the fuck they want. I would like new games, pretty much like Soulstorm will be, not HD remakes of everything because the fans demanded it. But yeah, the fans are the fans, and they abide those sweet, sweet fans. Unfortunately.
09-25-2017, 11:00 PM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: Oddworld
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

:
I'm especially excited for Soulstorm though because it seems brand new, even though the story is still sorta the same, it's a new game. New mechanics, different story aspects, returning characters (since Molluck wasn't in AE) and completely new characters too (more or less), it's all cool as fuck.
Yep, it's new.

:
It's down to personal taste at the end of the day. Honestly I'd like OWI to give the middle finger to the fans and do whatever the fuck they want. I would like new games, pretty much like Soulstorm will be, not HD remakes of everything because the fans demanded it. But yeah, the fans are the fans, and they abide those sweet, sweet fans. Unfortunately.
There's a balance between what fans want, what fans think they want, what we want and what's best for the brand and business. Hopefully we're sitting at the right point of the Venn diagram.
09-26-2017, 06:22 AM
EVP_Glukkon
Boombat

: Aug 2009
: Australia
: 235
EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)

:
You must be a complete tool if you think that Munch was a good direction for the series. Did you even listen to anything he said or are you baiting me right now
It was the next logical step for a 2D side-scrolling adventure game to jump to a 3D roaming one, so yeah it was the right direction but unfortunately it didn't pan out, but only a complete tool would be baited by such a suggestion.

:
If that gets rebooted I'm sending Lorne another death threat.
Make sure you send for another prescription of your meds first
09-26-2017, 06:54 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

:
It was the next logical step for a 2D side-scrolling adventure game to jump to a 3D roaming one
I guess you're right, that's why nobody makes sidescrollers anymore, right?

09-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Dead Meat
Bolamite

: Jan 2017
: England
: 56
Dead Meat  (71)

:

Let's remember it was 2001, when 3D roaming was relatively innovative for puzzle platformers ect.

09-26-2017, 07:34 AM
EVP_Glukkon
Boombat

: Australia
: 235
EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)

:
I think you are trying to say that because 2D side-scrolling adventure games have made a comeback of sorts, the concept of switching from 2D to 3D isn't necessary?

Depends if the limitations bother the developer or not, in the case with Lorne, his on record saying he needed the technological jump. We still see it today just a bit differently with the art direction and trying to reach the 'ILM" level he kept ref to.

I think given the current state of the gaming industry and indie games etc, the 'retro' appeal of side-scrolling adventure is a benefit, but once they have the budget I expect he will go straight to full 3D roaming one again.
09-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2007
: 507
Vanilla ✜  (153)Vanilla ✜  (153)

The way I see things, while I'm not 100% sure about some of mechanics, but I'm putting my faith in the Oddworld team that they will work in context and hell, even if they don't I want them to work on a game they enjoyed making rather than something they hated working on but might only please half the fans.
I just want them to enjoy this project and that's something I will always support.

There's also an OWF Discord,
join here.

09-26-2017, 12:01 PM
SkullFire58
Zappfly

SkullFire58  (10)

Personally, I will be sad if Soulstorm is not very close to Exoddus' game-play wise, but that doesn't mean that I'm not still excited about the game. It's mainly that I've been sitting with the assumption of Exoddus HD w/ some new stuff for maybe one and a half years (two years?) that makes me disappointed. But it's like expecting to get a cookie, and instead you get some ice cream; It's not what you were getting ready for but you're still getting something awesome! I just wish they were able to communicate it a bit better earlier on (or maybe I just didn't understand what they mean't, haha). I'm not blaming OWI at all, mind you, I know that you have to be very careful with what you say in the game industry. It's just something they would have had to do. They probably expected this kind of reaction if they had announced this earlier, and it was probably way too early in development to really be sure anyway.

Basically, I'm sad that I won't be able to play an Exoddus HD, but we're getting a brand new Oddworld game. Oddworld is officially back! Against all ODDs (sorry) a video game series that silently ended more than 10 years ago is making a comeback with the original creator at the helm!
09-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Ledeux
Stunk

: Apr 2014
: ledeux
: 49
Ledeux  (26)

:
I'm not having a go at you, that's why I said "I don't mean to single you out", it's just you fit the stereotypical Oddworld fan down to a T. There's no need to be up in arms.

When they were making NnT the majority of fans just wanted an HD remake of the original, if OWI had decided to make it a 3D landscape or whatever you can guarantee a number of people would have got pissy about it. So to say they should keep Soulstorm the same as NnT because it was meant to introduce more people to Oddworld is kinda null and void. Yeah it was a new introduction for new players, but it was just a general retelling of the same story because THAT'S WHAT THE FANS WANTED. Soulstorm is trying to be it's own game whilst incorporating ideas the Oddworld community has suggested and also telling the same story. that's a lot of work and to ask for it to remain a sidescroller when OWI have said over and over again that it's a new fucking game is just dumb, man. It's dumb. Look at how fucking cool it looks. Does it really matter if it's sidescrolling or not lol?

Maybe it will be a sidescroller, maybe not, who knows. Personally I hope it isn't. I hope it's a birds-eye view where the camera spins 360 whenever you possess something to make the player feel sea sick.

In short: they're dedicated to their fans and their fans like to keep playing the same old shit.

What's this fucking fixation on sidescrolling dude? Do you sidescroll your way to school every day? Are you that dedicated? Do you really not want a cool new Oddworld game if it has a different POV from the original? Why is that so important? You're genuinely making me laugh but not in a good way. I mean this might sound like a far-out concept, but get this: maybe they can still add all the cool shit, but NOT have it sidescrolling! D'ya think? Huh? No? Really? Oh, okay. I'll just kill myself then.

Actually yeah, you're definitely why we can't have nice things. Sidescroller or bust, OWI. I hope you're reading this Lorne, because obviously you are. We want side-on action of Abe's sexy bod, otherwise we SPIT ON IT

Jesus man! I'm not the one freaking out. I love oddworld, and like iI said, I'm playing this game day one no matter what! I'm not spitting on anything and I respect what Lorne is trying to do. I just want to know what it's gonna be like! Take it easy my man and smoke some weed or something. I know it's gonna be dope no matter what so please stop making my very brief original paragraph sound like I was trying to tear down the idea of something new!
09-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Talvy
Zappfly

: Apr 2016
: Finland
: 12
Talvy  (11)

The way I see it, Lorne mentioning stuff like labor as means to earn moolah suggests a nonlinear gameplay style, possibly utilizing free roam in somewhat open areas. This has me imagine the Mudokon uprising as an underground operation, and this would all tie into it being called an ambitious game project. It goes without saying that this is merely my speculation.

Last edited by Talvy; 09-26-2017 at 03:52 PM..
09-27-2017, 03:01 AM
Oziah
Fuzzle

: Nov 2013
: 113
Oziah  (103)Oziah  (103)

Regarding whether or not the game will be a 2D/2.5D sidescroller, I personally have no doubts that it will be. In fact, at the presentation itself Lorne very clearly alluded to this:

If we're gonna readdress the idea of Exoddus, let's go all the way. So let's scrap the Exoddus that you saw and you knew, and let's go fresh back to that original vision on top of the sidescrolling platformer genre, and turn the volume up to 11 on a lot of different levels.

He says this around 6 minutes in. I guess this could somehow be interpreted as saying the game will be moving away from sidescrolling...but I definitely don't see it like that. Guess we'll see!
09-27-2017, 03:47 AM
Crashpunk
cun't spill

: Feb 2008
: Nottingham, UK
: 7,291
Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)

How did I miss that...

Twitter | Discord: Crashpunk#0025

09-27-2017, 03:57 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Maybe you couldn't hear it over the sound of Lornes frustration at not being able to use a video player properly

09-27-2017, 04:39 AM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

:
Regarding whether or not the game will be a 2D/2.5D sidescroller, I personally have no doubts that it will be. In fact, at the presentation itself Lorne very clearly alluded to this:

If we're gonna readdress the idea of Exoddus, let's go all the way. So let's scrap the Exoddus that you saw and you knew, and let's go fresh back to that original vision on top of the sidescrolling platformer genre, and turn the volume up to 11 on a lot of different levels.

He says this around 6 minutes in. I guess this could somehow be interpreted as saying the game will be moving away from sidescrolling...but I definitely don't see it like that. Guess we'll see!
09-27-2017, 04:45 AM
Talvy
Zappfly

Talvy  (11)

You guys missed that part? What else did you miss; the Vykker in the teaser working with the Glukkon in the background to develop brew that enhances work performance with strong withdrawal symptoms that eventually kill anyone who stops drinking it?

Last edited by Talvy; 09-27-2017 at 04:49 AM..
09-27-2017, 04:46 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2007
: 507
Vanilla ✜  (153)Vanilla ✜  (153)

:
Oh you!

There's also an OWF Discord,
join here.

09-27-2017, 04:50 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Soulstorm will be a 2,5 sidescroller but then you can switch to a top down RTS like view or something. Calling it now!

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

09-27-2017, 08:53 AM
SkullFire58
Zappfly

SkullFire58  (10)

Oooh, thanks for pointing that out. I would imagine most of us heard that, but 25 minutes later when the HUD and UI were shown we forgot he ever said by that time that and started to panic, haha.
09-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Dead Meat
Bolamite

: Jan 2017
: 56
Dead Meat  (71)

Just confirmation that the lady Glukkon is a guy. I don't think this has been posted yet

09-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Talvy
Zappfly

Talvy  (11)

That's odd, but makes sense since female Glukkons should be queens. He's more so just sporting a feminine look then, tho' there might be more to it. Also, his pin is different here.

Last edited by Talvy; 09-27-2017 at 10:51 AM..
09-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Scrabaniac
Clakker Relic Miner

: Somewhere in the UK
: 838
Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)

I hope none of this Non-Binary Gender bullshit makes it into Oddworld. Although it would be kind of cool to see how inhabitants on Oddworld respond to different sexualities.

09-27-2017, 11:17 AM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

: Jul 2014
: United States
: 341
HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)

I don't think any non-binary gender exploration in Oddworld would be the result of real world social developments, especially since early on, Lorne has talked about androgeny, and how sacred androgenous people were considered in some tribes for having traits from both sexes. (This is in one of his interviews)

Oddworld has always taken a non traditional approach at gender, with virtually any female character assuming the role of queen bee/ant birthing worker drones, so I don't find it strange at all that there could be a wide array of expression among these 'drones' that we, the players, would call masculine or feminine
09-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Talvy
Zappfly

Talvy  (11)

:
I hope none of this Non-Binary Gender bullshit makes it into Oddworld.
Can we not vent about politics here? That's not a real concern.

Last edited by Talvy; 09-27-2017 at 11:50 AM..
09-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Scrabaniac
Clakker Relic Miner

: Somewhere in the UK
: 838
Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)Scrabaniac  (376)

I apologise. I didn't mean to make anything sound political. The designs are great anyhow. Really looking forward to finding out their names

09-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Crashpunk
cun't spill

: Feb 2008
: Nottingham, UK
: 7,291
Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)

Everyone questioning if the Glukkon was male forgot all about the Glukkon Queen. If she's even still apart of the universe.

:
Maybe you couldn't hear it over the sound of Lornes frustration at not being able to use a video player properly
I blame the iMac and its stupid touchpad. Screw that thing.

Twitter | Discord: Crashpunk#0025

09-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Michael
Bola Blast

: May 2010
: Birmingham, England
: 409
Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

As far as the gameplay, I'd love if the 2D gameplay could open up to 3D for some sections. The facilities are largely corridors and catwalks so 2.5D makes sense, but for the actual rooms it always seemed strange to me, as it's difficult to imagine the room as a functional place.

I'd love to see 2.5D catwalk + corridor sections, that open up into (maybe fixed camera?) 3D rooms like in the old PS2 MO prototype footage. It could offer a new style of challenge and puzzle, and give us a greater look and the characters and their world.

Something akin to how Crash Bandicoot handles 2D and 3D gameplay sections within the same levels. The 2D sections still have 3D movement, but you're restricted by level design into moving left and right.
09-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Silver angel
Fuzzle

: Jul 2014
: Night castle
: 111
Silver angel  (59)

:
I don't think any non-binary gender exploration in Oddworld would be the result of real world social developments, especially since early on, Lorne has talked about androgeny, and how sacred androgenous people were considered in some tribes for having traits from both sexes. (This is in one of his interviews)

Oddworld has always taken a non traditional approach at gender, with virtually any female character assuming the role of queen bee/ant birthing worker drones, so I don't find it strange at all that there could be a wide array of expression among these 'drones' that we, the players, would call masculine or feminine
For someone who interested - worker bees and ants are females, but not fertile. Termites and mole rats whom Lorne likes mostly have male and female workers who can reproduse and make new family, but usually live whole life in their colony.