Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Jan 2006
: Switzerland
: 2,489
Matriar  (141)Matriar  (141)
Exclamation Hidden oppressions in our daily life

Sorry, I can't shut up.

Since a very long time, after getting inspired by mankind's stupidy written down in history books, I'm always having my eyes open for things that are senseless today (besides wars, animal testing, abusing, ETC, ETC). And I ask myself what could be considered to be normal today, but the future generations will say "Whaha? What the hell were they thinking?"

Not too long ago, black people were extremly oppressed just because their skin was dark. For example, there were these "blacks only" and "whites only" signs everywhere; bus stops, restaurants, restrooms, cinemas, churches... I mean, whaha? Hey man, it's just their skin! Skin! They're still humans, just like you!
But it was normal for them to treat black people that way.

Okay, now I found out many other things in our daily life that I consider to be senseless but which are "normal". Of course, they're not as worse as the oppression of black people, but still things that have influenced a lot more than you think!

Restrooms, two, for men and women. I mean, why do we need two seperate restrooms? When you get in there, you can close your door when you go use a WC and noone will see you. And about the worries of man about being watched while using a urinal, it is also impolite to be watched by a man and not only by a woman! K3
My question is just why do we need to seperate genders? It's just the gender! We are still humans!
Things like that support stereotyping of genders. And ended up with this; female victim roles in movies, 90% male heroes in stories, underrating of women's skills, playboy business, ... and what the hell!

There are few other things I've realized:
Lipstick. What does lipstick do? It makes your lips look red. Why? Because when you are horny, both men and women, the lips get red. Men seem to love women that simulate to be horny. Weird, that they say that it's feminine to be so and wouldn't wear libstick themself.
Shaving legs. Men don't do that, but why do they say that women have to do that? Children don't have hairy legs, and men seem to prefer anything that is younger and also smaller than them. So they like women who simulate to be (way too) young, probably because it's easier to keep them under control and boss them around that way. In movies you often see that the hero's girlfriend is smaller and younger too. They try to influence the watchers that this is good that way, and anything else is too weird!
Women shoes. We KNOW that it's very unhealthy and painless for the feet. Women wearing them probably caused that they became smaller, with these broken feet they got from them.

I mean... hello?!
Forgot that we are STILL humans no matter what gender we have? Why can't we just live and work together in harmony?

Okay, just wanted to get rid of my thoughts again. See ya! K]

03-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

Ok, all guys, you have to start shaving your legs, wear make up and watch Desperate Housewives. Now.

Have you considered the fact that some of these are in place for reasons other than oppression/stereotyping? Mens legs for example: Biologically, for some reason, men can be hairier than women most times. When women shave their legs, it stays the same very light colour, whereas for men it can just grow back stubblier and the same colour it was before (brown). For women there is less need to shave it as it is already a light colour, so from a distance it looks like there is nothing there, but up close there are small hairs. The reason that it is shaved I guess is because they want people to percieve their legs as they did when they were hairy from a distance.

Lipstick and makeup explained away for men: facial hair.

So yeah, genders suck. I hate having hairy legs. And I do shave. But waxing is better.

gaize ive been up for like 30 mins, i havent had my toast or coffe yet, its a fucking saturday where ive got nothig to do so i formally apologise for the lack of quality in this post. there were some good ideas in there but my brain couldnt really piece them together properly yet

03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

: Jan 2003
: 気持ちপ
: 4,311
Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)

:
Restrooms, two, for men and women. I mean, why do we need two seperate restrooms? When you get in there, you can close your door when you go use a WC and noone will see you.
Because Guys ones have a big wall that they spray with piss.

Would you like to see a bunch of big men with their pants down wee-fencing every time you enter the bathroom?
rock band, jazz band,
karate, kendo, mahjong, cyborg, synchronized swimming...
On the other hand, high school boys are
useless outside battle and sports anime.
But they're recklessly trying to make a slice-of-life anime about us.
Ah, we are high school boys,
the miserable high school boys.

03-21-2008, 05:04 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

Unisex bathrooms exist in some places; I know guys who shave their legs, and have you ever heard of Joan of Ark or Mother Jones? It's not that a larger number of women aren't regarded as heroines because of oppression, it's because that's just the way our civilization has been for thousands of years. In these times, an artist won't make the protagonist a man because he/she thinks women are the lesser gender, it's because it's what his/her inspiration and influences have guided him/her to do. Hayao Miyazaki (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) normally has a female character for the role of the heroic protagonist. It's possible some artists portray their characters the way they do for gender-biased reasons, but that's not the reason why all women are portrayed the way they are. Our society is only just starting to be more tolerant and accepting, looking at our entire history, so it isn't surprising women and black people haven't stepped into the spot light totally yet. I think things are really improving. The two democratic presidential nominations in the US are a black man and a woman. A legally blind black man has just become the new governor of the state New York, so improvements really are starting to take place.

Last edited by used:); 03-21-2008 at 05:06 PM..
03-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

Unisex bathrooms-rape.

03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Bathrooms are gender specific because it would become a real mess if some hot chick walked in there while a couple of guys are standing taking a piss. It's not easy aiming when something is pointing up...

Lipstick is to make women look more attractive so men can see what woman wants attention. The level of attention wanted can often be derived directly from the color lipstick and is thus a very effective means of getting sex.

Shaving legs is because women with leg hair is just plain disgusting while men need to have a nice little fur on their paws.

We prefer younger because young, hot and sexy is better then old, cold and ugly.

Those kind of shoes are made to make women look taller and thus more dominant. Like the lipstick; the higher the heels the more dominant the woman. However, this rule only applies to anything other then blonde's. In case of blonde's the rule applies: The higher the heels the dumber she is and the more fun you'll have when she rolles of the stairs.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

ITT: tl;dr

My contribution: OMG WORLD IS BAD
03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)

This is true, just look at Hobo.
rock band, jazz band,

03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Matriar
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Jan 2006
: Switzerland
: 2,489
Matriar  (141)Matriar  (141)

:
Ok, all guys, you have to start shaving your legs, wear make up and watch Desperate Housewives. Now.
Haha, I didn't want to bring that message!

:
Would you like to see a bunch of big men with their pants down wee-fencing every time you enter the bathroom?
Well, it didn't make me puke out when I saw mothers changing the diapers of their babies and saw their genitals. I can keep my cool and ignore that when I walk by. So I guess, it won't be less or more weird when I see the adult form of such.

:
Bathrooms are gender specific because it would become a real mess if some hot chick walked in there while a couple of guys are standing taking a piss. It's not easy aiming when something is pointing up...
This made me laugh. All you can think is the hot and sexy women, as if the most of them are like this in real life.

:
We prefer younger because young, hot and sexy is better then old, cold and ugly.
Never thought of the way we women/girls experience that?
All WE get ARE the old, cold and ugly. According to what you just said. Especially these guys who buy sex from whores... are not the young, sexy, and warm.

03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

I like Young and Sexy, too.
rock band, jazz band,

03-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

tl:dr

*Filler*
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

03-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

Shaved legs feel GOOOD *Drools*
- And you're still a dick.

03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Rex Tirano
Cute as a rabbit

: Aug 2001
: Nagasaki
: 2,259
Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)

I don't see what's opressive about all those things. =/

I shave my legs because I don't like having hairy legs. I shave them regardless of whether or not I actually have a boyfriend, so I laugh at your male opression mumbo jumbo. If boys shaved their legs, they'd need pretty tough razors! I know my boyfriend's leg hair is harder than female hair, so the razors would become blunt even quicker than normal, making it uneconomical.

The same with make-up. I think, in the right doses, make-up accentuates prettyness, and it makes me feel better about myself. And I agree that the reason boys generally don't wear make-up is because of facial hair.

If we're talking about gender specific "opression". Why don't we look at guys. Guys have to sit, waiting for their girlfriends to stop shopping, listen to their bitchings for hours on end and can never be late, ever. Lest their girlfriend bites their head off. But if girls did that, they'd be on the phone to their friends crying [or something like that]. z0mg opressionz.

- Rexy

03-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
I don't see what's opressive about all those things. =/

I shave my legs because I don't like having hairy legs. I shave them regardless of whether or not I actually have a boyfriend, so I laugh at your male opression mumbo jumbo. If boys shaved their legs, they'd need pretty tough razors! I know my boyfriend's leg hair is harder than female hair, so the razors would become blunt even quicker than normal, making it uneconomical.

The same with make-up. I think, in the right doses, make-up accentuates prettyness, and it makes me feel better about myself. And I agree that the reason boys generally don't wear make-up is because of facial hair.

If we're talking about gender specific "opression". Why don't we look at guys. Guys have to sit, waiting for their girlfriends to stop shopping, listen to their bitchings for hours on end and can never be late, ever. Lest their girlfriend bites their head off. But if girls did that, they'd be on the phone to their friends crying [or something like that]. z0mg opressionz.

- Rexy
ITT: Rexy's account gets stolen by her boyslave
03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I disagree and agree with you.

We make mistakes so we can learn from them. So now we look back and say "Woah! What were/was they/we/I thinking?"

Same Gender bathrooms? Some people wish. We don't want to expose the more private parts of ourselves, so we take every precaution we can. While it may not do much for some, most of the time alot of people would constantly be pulling up their pants or whatever they were wearing. Plus it would influence sexual urges. Alot.

Males are, yes, the standard movie hero. That's probrably due to the fact that most of todays military consists of men. Action movies tend to portray them as military type of men. In movies where love afairs happen it's more likely for the male to have a secret love life. In other movies that I tend not to watch, it's because men used to be sort of the king of the household. Those days are over but it's still thought of quite a bit.

I don't really care for lipstick and I agree here.

Why shave your legs? I don't know. I agree.

Women like to wear shoes. And they like them to be pretty. Still I agree.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
OddjobAbe
National Treasure

: Feb 2007
: England
: 3,121
OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)

:

- Rexy
Finally, a female that agrees. Thank you.

03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Yes, I think Rexy won a few extra obsessed fanboys with that post.

03-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Leto
Not Leto

Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

:
Shaved legs feel GOOOD *Drools*
omfg I know.

:
Guys have to sit, waiting for their girlfriends to stop shopping, listen to their bitchings for hours on end and can never be late, ever. Lest their girlfriend bites their head off. But if girls did that, they'd be on the phone to their friends crying [or something like that]. z0mg opressionz.
I go shopping with my girlfriend, and constructively contribute to her bitching, and if I'm late she's usually got chocolate to nom because of it. Therefore I am good boy.

:
Same Gender bathrooms? Some people wish. We don't want to expose the more private parts of ourselves, so we take every precaution we can. While it may not do much for some, most of the time alot of people would constantly be pulling up their pants or whatever they were wearing. Plus it would influence sexual urges. Alot.
That's a good point I didn't realise. I don't want to flash my small inoffensive member to any man, let alone woman. I go in the cubicles.

plus you know if we had no gender bathrooms imagine the cooties

03-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Men saving legs = no. The resultant chaffing is intensely painful. While it may look good on some men, that's usually because they look like women anyway.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

03-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Fortesque13
Howler Punk

: Mar 2007
: Croatia
: 322
Fortesque13  (10)

:
What's wrong with Desperate Housewives? xD
I know, I know... I got my mom's "gossip gene".

As for on-topicness:
There's far more nonsense to life than meets the eye...
How about if you'd take a look at where you're sitting right now as you're reading this and the thing in front of you. What do you get by spending time in front of something that's even harmful for your eyes?

P.S. Don't ask me, I'm an addict...

Yes, I'm back... Yes, you'll all soon be licking my boots...

Last edited by Fortesque13; 03-24-2008 at 07:29 PM..
03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

:
Yes, I think Rexy won a few extra obsessed fanboys with that post.
Wait, so we have to be nice and agreeable and sensible. to get fanboys?
rock band, jazz band,

03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

:
Men saving legs = no. The resultant chaffing is intensely painful. While it may look good on some men, that's usually because they look like women anyway.

Alcar...
I used to shave... Other... Parts of my body, and indeed, it feels good for a while but after that, man, I felt like I was on fire! And not in a good way! And the itching! It never stopped! It must've looked pretty odd, people seeing me, scratching my... Stuff... All the time!
- And you're still a dick.

03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I shave my sexually active areas (all of them - yes even there ), and sometimes on occasion I like to straighten my snail-trail. But that's it for shaving. Oh, of course, I need to shave my face. Bloody genes.

I used to quite admire hairlessness on men, but for quite a while now I've been the opposite. I suppose you could put it down to me growing older

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

03-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Leto
Not Leto

I still admire it, I'm just too lazy to keep doing it. Shaving legs takes an annoyingly long time, and hairless penor it an itchathon. Short pubes ftw.

And wtf straightening your trail? Do you use like GHDs? :O

03-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

:
And wtf straightening your trail? Do you use like GHDs? :O
GHDs? As in the line of hair-dressing products?

Sometimes my snail-trail gets a tad unruly. I just like it to look nice and straight

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

03-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

Oh, this imagery is fascinating.
rock band, jazz band,

03-26-2008, 02:42 AM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

: Mar 2007
: Beneath the sink
: 1,157
skillyaslig  (124)skillyaslig  (124)

Hmm, that didn't take long.

Hell, one of NZ rugby players wore lipstick. Jezz, the puplicilty that damn thing got! Though I suppose its one of those 'its-a-woman-thing-from-back-in-the-stone-age' type of ideas.

Women shave their legs, for, I dunno...so maybe its smooth for the 'mans-touch' cause lets say, not all people want it rough and ragged....

Heck, there are a tonne of different reasons why different genders do different things. Man, if someone can name them all, It would be legendary XD

03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
Wait, so we have to be nice and agreeable and sensible. to get fanboys?
No, you just need to say what men have been saying for years behind women's backs.

I shave my chest a I hate that hair. I would wax but I don't know where to start and that's something I really don't want to get wrong. In the past I've trimmed my pubes but I didn't have the time to charge my clippers before my last flight and they're not rated to take American 110V power so I'm looking a tad unruly at the moment.

I really wish I didn't have to shave my face. I reckon I'd have perfect skin if it weren't for damn ingrown hairs.

03-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

ITT: Gay men talk about shaving their pubic hair, Hobo leaves never to return.
03-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Zozo the Zrilufet
Outlaw Cutter

: Oct 2006
: Scotland, Aberdeen
: 1,041
Zozo the Zrilufet  (34)

Well smoking seems dumb, I mean cannabis and all that is illegal but smoking isn't, it can actually be more harmful than some illegal substances. And there's the lack of fairtrade products, we need to be more empathetic.
I am a man. Do not call me otherwise, or you are doing it wrong. Times correctly guessed as a man: Patrick: 1, Mitsur: 1, Daxter king: 1, OANST: More than once, Nemo: 1, alf's brother's mate: 1, Nate: 1, Anonyman!: 1. The assumption everyone is male probably comes from the fact 90% of characters in Oddworld are male. The editpenis<a href=http://www.oddworldforums.net/signaturepics/sigpic4236_3.gif target=_blank>http://www.oddworldforums.net/signat...gpic4236_3.gif</a>