08-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: May 2003
: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)
Forum Changes

Hey Mods hows about when your status changes you have to change to that status!But you can leave your banner on.

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

08-11-2003, 04:11 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)
Re: Forum Changes

:
Originally posted by Abe16
Hey Mods hows about when your status changes you have to change to that status!But you can leave your banner on.
??? please explain..
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

08-11-2003, 04:17 AM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: May 2003
: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)

See I'm a glukkon wanna-be and you guys and me could change the avatar and when your status changes you could make your own seeing that I don't no what a noob killerz is so you can make your own so...if a you're a whatever on your status you change what your status is Mods whend do youi want it to start if you like it?

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

08-12-2003, 12:26 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

Seriously, before you post here you should become literate, or stop drinking alcohol. Because I didn't understand a word of that.

If I am right in thinking that you are talking about custom titles, then the answer would be no. Only the admins can hand out custom titles.

If you would like one, or think you deserve one, you can always talk to Alcar or Abe Babe about it.
08-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Adder
Grubb Fisherman

: Oct 2002
: The nearest DDR machine
: 927
Adder  (11)

I agree that custom titles are a great idea, and I REALLY WANT ONE!... mainly cause my character isn't from Oddworld

But, I also see where at the start, you could promote yourself straight to "Platinum ruler of Zulag One", or something and it'd be chaos trying to beat other people.

(Yes, I did rip it off an arcade game)

Last edited by Adder; 08-14-2003 at 05:18 AM..
08-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Reptile
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2003
: Inside You
: 537
Reptile  (10)

Eventually, my custom title day will come....cant really decide what i'll be called....Abe Babe made this topic about ranks and titles, I believe it said you must be at the forums for a while until you are awarded with one.....If that is correct, I have three premium goals, either get a custom title, either get Moderator status, or either reach Mudokon Shaman rank....which I believe is the highest with a total of 5000 posts.

Very interesting...

08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Personally, I think that choosing what your own custom title type rank thing is would be best. Other forums do it, and I don't really see any chaos happening around them.

For those of you who don't know, I believe theres an option to where you can choose and type in yoru own title anyways. I'm not sure if it gives you the stars though...
08-14-2003, 06:48 PM
LuLu_Fund
Thudslug

: Oddworld
: 164
LuLu_Fund  (10)

It's kinda wierd how excited we are about rising the virtual ranks, to be honest, I didn't realise the system or how it works. I'd love a custom title too! I don't know whether I'd be able to endure thousands of ideas to come up with meaningful threads to get to that status, nor willing to put the brainpower into it! Still, I'm buzzing at the moment... I think it would be nice for forumers to have their own title because we probably have our own creatures and would rather be listed for that than the default oddworld creatures. I quite like the current system anyhow.

Visit LuLu_Fund's OFFICIAL website outside Oddworld :: click here

08-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

I have been on five forums where they allow personalised custom titles as standard for all members. (in other words you can type in your own custom title, like Majic said)

But they have all had pretty serious trouble moderating it. With stuff like innapropriate or hateful titles, and even moderator impersonations!

So I say it would be a semi-good idea. It would be good if you make sure that there are all the proper restrictions with making custom titles. EG no swearing, hateful comments, racial slurs, or moderator impersonations.

But then again, having these personal custom titles would mean that people with custom titles who have been awarded them for their good work here, will suddenly have a totally useless award.

I like majics idea, where you have the title, but no stars. So that we can pick out the awarded titles from the personal ones...
08-16-2003, 01:11 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

:
Originally posted by Majic
For those of you who don't know, I believe theres an option to where you can choose and type in yoru own title anyways. I'm not sure if it gives you the stars though...
Its diabled on this forum. Anyways Custom title are awarded here because you've been a good member. If everyone is getting custom titles, it wouldn't be special anymore, those members that got custom titles would need to be given something more special... like moderatorship heheh... Oh wells, i dont like the idea that we could change our own custom title.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

08-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Having the special stars though would be what was earned though, no? Those could maybe be given to distinguished members. I don't really see how bad it would be to just let people create one themselves. Saves the trouble of Alcar or Abe Babe getting around to it, etc...

Plus, there wouldn't be any moderating problems for it. remember, thus is a relatively small place.
08-17-2003, 02:44 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I don't think making Custom Titles publicly changed-able would be a good idea. The whole stars and Oddworld ranks ties in with the OWFs strong relations to the Oddworld universe.

It used to be something fun, that people enjoyed, having seen their title change every so often. It also had people strive to get a higher rank by making productive posts, as spam would be deleted and the user delt with.

I think handing out as many custom titles as we have to members has been a detriment to the OWF community. Too many people have them, when they really should only be a few people with them. Even if people are good and what not, it doesn't mean everyone should ditch the titles you earn productively and cash in for a nice title of your own to look 'cool'.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

08-17-2003, 04:20 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

One of the main reasons why the custom title option is not enabled, is because of the stars/ranks that are associated with it. This is why anyone that has a custom title gets 6 stars, because there's no way of making them automatic. I don't really like the idea that you get 6 stars when you get a custom title, but it's either that or nothing.

However when vB3 is released, the ranks and custom titles are separate. Which means anyone with a custom title will have the same ranking system as those using the default system. Maybe then we might re-consider allowing people to be able to enter their own custom title, or maybe it can be something that you can do after you have a certain number of posts.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

08-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I agree regarding the ties between stars and titles - I love my custom title, I'm very proud of it, but I don't give any thought about the stars. To be entirely honest, I'm not bothered about them at all, but it would be nice for them to reflect my contributions and activity on the Forums as well, instead of just making me stand out.

Regarding user-alterable custom titles, I don't like the idea. What's to stop someone from changing their name to 'Oddworld God' or 'I'm better than you'. Bad examples, but you get the idea. All those people with [Oddworld-related] custom titles I know have worked hard for them and earned them. I feel guilty about this, but I have to refer to Sligslinger here, who a while ago queried the possibility of having the custom title 'The Oddworld Artist'. I don't go into the Fan Corner very often, hardly ever in fact, but I know for a fact there are dozens of great Oddworld artists, and one custom title could proclaim one to be better than the others, or at least more recognised, which would be unfair to say the least. I also like being able to glance up at a member's title and see 'Slurg', knowing I can go "Hi! Welcome to the Forums, blah blah blah."

08-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

I agree. Let's just keep the system we have going now; custom user-changeable titles would cause much too many problems, and besides, it's not essential.