07-15-2016, 04:27 AM
Samtastic
Formely Samlaptop95

: Oct 2012
: UK
: 169
Samtastic  (121)Samtastic  (121)
Customized Scrolling Screens

How do I change the text in all the scrolling screens in Oddysee? I want to use Paul's dll and change it to European Speedrunner Assembly 2016 RAISING MONEY TO HELP SAVE THE CHILDREN. Twitch.tv/esamarathon.

How do I do it?

Last edited by Samtastic; 07-16-2016 at 01:02 AM..
07-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Littleleeroy
Boombat

: Aug 2008
: Australia
: 227
Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)

I do not know how to do it with Paul's DLL but if you download a Hex Editor you can directly edit the exe file.
You need to open AbeWin.exe in the Hex Editor then Ctrl+F and search for a word that you know to be in the screen's text (e.g. 'deactivate' or 'press') that you want to change.
You will come across the phrase which you can then edit.

Also, so you don't corrupt the file:

:
I have a couple of tips when hex editing Oddysee and Exoddus exe's. First Do NOT create or delete extra spaces as it will ruin the exe. Second, there are only a number of things you can edit e.g. The help text, the Esc menu text and mix the sounds around. If you are editing the scrolling help text then here is a small hex list:

01 = (Up Arrow) | 02 = (Down Arrow) | 03 = (Left Arrow) | 04 = (Right Arrow) | 05 = Shift | 06 = Ctrl | 07 = Alt | 08 = Z | 09 = Space | 10 = 6 | 11 = 7 | 12 = 8 | 13 = 0 | 14 = Esc | 15 = X | 16 = Esc | 17 = Tab |

When you view the hex ASCII it will show up as a .
Sorry to go a bit off topic but I think that this will help some beginners a bit in this topic.
This way is a little tedious but unless someone explains how to use the DLL to do it, this will be the best option.
07-16-2016, 01:03 AM
Samtastic
Formely Samlaptop95

: Oct 2012
: UK
: 169
Samtastic  (121)Samtastic  (121)

:
I do not know how to do it with Paul's DLL but if you download a Hex Editor you can directly edit the exe file.
You need to open AbeWin.exe in the Hex Editor then Ctrl+F and search for a word that you know to be in the screen's text (e.g. 'deactivate' or 'press') that you want to change.
You will come across the phrase which you can then edit.

Also, so you don't corrupt the file:

This way is a little tedious but unless someone explains how to use the DLL to do it, this will be the best option.
I managed to find the line where Paull adds the custom text in the DLL using the hex editor, but changing the text corrupts the DLL.