Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Oddworld RPG

04-14-2016, 06:01 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

: Feb 2016
: Heck if I know.
: 437
FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)
[SW][Plot]Something Wicked This Way Comes

Time: Dusk
Weather: Cloudy and windy. A storm may be brewing.

There was an uncharacteristic air of anticipation circulating through the train depot that night, a feeling almost reflected by the cold night air moaning over the desert, whipping up dust devils and chilling the sligs on patrol outside. Security forces had been doubled following the news that one of the alleged new "super-weapons" would be passing through their station, en route to a barracks further away. The train it was currently on didn't go that far, so it would be loaded onto a new vehicle and continue on its way.

Though most of the guards on duty seemed to regard it as business as usual, there was nevertheless an abundance of rumors concerning what exactly was coming their way. Some seemed to think it was a bomb. Others thought it could be a new type of gun (prompting no small amount of excitement among the slig guards present). The soldiers weren't the only ones discussing the matter: glukkon managers grumbled and rasped to eachother in huddles on the terminal deck, intending to get a glimpse of it for themselves.

Unbeknownst to them, however, was the presence of the party crashers currently approaching the depot. Through spies, turncoats, and informants, the Native resistance had learned of this weapon as well, and had picked one of the less-secure Industrial outposts to attempt a little smash-and-grab. Though widely varied in species and bearing the insignias of numerous tribes, they traveled with singular purpose, all minds focused on the task ahead. Attacking from ground level as they were, they would need to fight their way to a lift in order to secure the upper terminal station, where the cable-trains ran. An uphill battle, in more ways than one.

A quiet cry went up from someone in the ranks, and heads turned up to the rail-line high overhead, just barely visible against the twilight. In the distance, a speck of light was coming down the line. They needed to hurry.

(All right, first plot thread! Now normally, I'm going to try to let threads play out as they will, but I'm probably going to railroad this one just a bit. One way or another, whatever is in that train needs to be revealed for both factions to see. Potentially it's effects as well, if possible. Once that's done, then I can move things on to the ACTUAL conflict I've got planned B)

Good lord my writing skills are rusty.

While there is currently no posting order, please try not to leave anyone too far behind. The next round will begin April 21, or sooner if everyone who wants to be involved posts before that.)

04-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2008
: Middle of a desert
: 1,669
Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)

"Hurry up, I'll be damned if I'm late to this."

Mildred huffed at her low ranking security slig as they made their way through the terminal. There weren't many others in the terminal; A few scrubs cleaning what looked like an oil spill nearby, a couple sligs on patrol, some glukkons huddled in the corner discussing business probably. She sneered as she passed by the glukkons, muttering something under her breath akin to 'Those hotheads always act like they're in some sort of secret club' quite bitterly. The slig snickered a little, having heard the remark. At least it has manners.

Keeping her eyes ahead and not faltering in her step, she reached into her satchel and pulled out a clipboard with several important documents clipped to it, a pen, and a small pair of reading glasses. She slipped the glasses on and skimmed the page she had on the top bundle. It had a long list of arrival and departure dates for several important deliveries. One of them should be arriving very soon. Her directive from the Cartel was simple enough: Arrive at station #0451, check the cargo to ensure nothing was damaged or stolen in transit, get a few pieces of paper work signed by the conductor and station officials, catch the train to the barracks to get even more paper work signed by the general receiving the order, then return on the next train out to file and submit a report to ensure every thing's going according to plan. She groaned and flipped the page, which contained a full list of instructions and disclaimers and... what exactly is she supposed to be checking for on the train?

Flipping through the rest of the documents gave her no answers. Mildred darted her eyes around a bit, raised her glasses and looked toward her slig guard.

"Say... You wouldn't happen to know what's on that train, would you dear?"

Her voice was raspy and old. Despite her youthful-for-a-vykker appearance, there's no amount of surgery that could hide her age when she speaks. The slig shrugged and mumbled something about how he knows even less than she does, and is just following orders as well. She signed incredulously.

After a bit more walking, they finally reached the station platform. There were a bit more people out here than in the terminal, which struck her as a bit odd. She had expected far less personelle here. 'So much for keeping this low key...' She thought as she approached yet another huddle of glukkons, one of which looked to be a Feeco employee. The glukkons seemed a little put off, likely because she seemed to be the only vykker at the station. At least, that's what she assumed. She held out the clipboard she'd be carrying, flipped to a page for storing the signatures she required.

"I don't supposed you gentlegluks would be able to tell me where I could find Operator Kollik, would you? I'm here on important matters and require his signature."

The Feeco employee seemed to contemplate for a minute. "... Said he was goin' on break, I think." He scoffed. "Peh, bastard should be here watching the dock if ya ask me."

Mildred crossed her arms and scoffed as well. "Figures. Not like we're in the middle of a war right now and simple things like deliveries and checkpoints aren't vital at all." The remark got a few chuckles out of the glukkons. She jotted down a quick note on the page, then put her documents, pen, and glasses back into her satchel. She turned to her slig, gave him a quick pat, and asked him to do a quick round on the station platform to see if he could get any leads on where exactly the operator was. The glukkons began engaging her in conversation, telling her about how there have been a few more terrorist attacks in the cities they hail from and what business they were here on. One even brought up a few speculations on the contents of the train, which gave her a better idea of what she'll need to be looking for. Mildred hasn't yet witnessed an attack, and failed to quite grasp what the glukkons were saying they've been through. 'With luck, I'll never witness one, we'll beat the rebelling forces, and everything will go back to normal...' What a lovely thought.

While experiencing the excitement of being a part of a hothead glukkon secret club she seems to enjoy chastising, a shout rang out through the deck. Everyone seemed to look out towards the arriving train. She could feel the wind picking up as the light of the train became fairly visible in the distance.

Last edited by Slog Bait; 04-17-2016 at 11:46 AM.. : oh no spelling errors
04-16-2016, 05:54 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

: Aug 2008
: AAAAAA
: 1,119
JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

Skulking through the station, Nikoh noticed an unusual level of commotion surrounding the platforms, especially for this time of night. Luckily the large crowds drew attention away from him as he moved through the Depot. The nearest arrivals board read FeeCo Depot #0451.

"Still in Western Mudos, but not as far I'd like."
Nikoh grumbled to himself, patting down his belt pouches in search of his tobacco. A quick smoke would clear his head and help him focus on the task at hand. Reaching into his pouch he pulled out a pathetically crumpled hand-rolled cigarette. 'There goes that thought.' Feeling defeated Nikoh slumped his way to the smoke-filled arrivals lounge, the thick smog of tobacco churning with the stink of burning of burning fuels from the Depot trains. His pants gently hummed as he walked past several Glukkon and other big wigs. Nikoh sank into one of the uncharacteristically comfortable chairs of the lounge, closing his eyes in brief exhausted thought, he'd known better than to let himself rest on the train ride here.

'What is going on here? The security checkpoints are bad enough but so much commotion at this hour.' Something seemed amiss. He doubted he'd find any trace of the substance his superiors were searching for, even now he felt as though his every move was being monitored. He was certain that whatever was drawing so much attention to this station wouldn't be what he was searching for.

"S-sir?"
Nikoh was roused from his thoughts by a scrub holding a mop, a young looking Mudokon with fresh bruises along his side. Grumbling Nikoh lifted feet, resting them on the chair beside himself, lifting his googled and rubbing his tired eyes.

"Hey kid, d'ya know anything bout all this rabble on the platform?" He knew better than to not let his curiosity get the better of him, at the very least it would help him on his way out of the station. The young Scrub seem startled but answered, fearing another beating.

"Well I ain't seen much, but all them Gluks and Vyks seem to be talking 'bout some important war package." Nikoh reached into his pouch and rolled himself a cigarette as he listened.
"...But I got myself beat for lingering too long round them Gluks." Nikoh nodded and stood up, offering one of the cigarettes to the Scrub before leaving.

"Save it for your break." Nikoh mumbled as he lit up his cigarette and headed back towards the platform. The rich smoke of his hand rolled tobacco offering his mind more clarity and respite from his exhaustion. 'Let's see what we're dealing with...'

04-16-2016, 05:34 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)FennecFyre  (854)

The night wind chilled Gabbi down to her bones, but the young Grubb merely braced herself against the cold and kept pace as best she could beside her comrades. Their ragtag group was mostly Mudokons and Grubbs, hailing from tribes and clans all over Mudos. She herself was here with several of her kin, sent from Mongo Valley to aid the rebellion in the east. She already missed the Mongo's winding caverns and canyons--the eastern end of Mudos was far too open for her liking. The endless expanse of cloudy, roiling sky above them made her feel jittery and exposed, like a rat that had strayed too far from its burrow and into the shadow of the buzzard.

She jumped slightly and tightened her grip on her axe as the train was spotted. On unspoken command, the rebels quickened their pace. The gangly Mudokons loped easily across the rough terrain, though she and the other Grubb struggled to keep up. The final sprint to the chain-link fence surrounding the depot was made in silence.

While the Grubb caught their breath, the Mudokons present clustered near the gate, held with a massive, rusty padlock. "Well?" hissed one to another, who was fumbling with the lock with an equally-rusty set of tools.
"Gimme a moment, would ya? This ain't exactly easy."
"We don't have a moment!" shot back the other, his voice never rising above an angry whisper. "That train's gonna be here any minute!"

While they tried to get the gate open, Gabbi looked over her shoulder through the fence, searching the telltale red glow of slig visors. They were currently hidden in the shadows, and nobody had seen them (yet) but once they got in, things were likely going to get very violent, very quickly. She swallowed, keeping a white-knuckled grip on the handle of her tomahawk. Gabbi wasn't afraid of death. With no family left, there was nothing for her to live for but the rebellion. It was dying, whether it be getting shot in the gut or ripped to pieces by a slog, that she wasn't looking forward to.

04-17-2016, 08:09 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

Nikoh held the cigarette in his lips and away from his facial tentacles, walking towards the platform as he pulled his visor back down and adjusted to the vision behind the thick lenses. The smoke plumed from his ventilator meeting the finer tastes of cigar-chomping Glukkons that too filled the platform, as Nikoh scanned his surroundings and noticed himself being met by the gaze of a group of Slig security.
"Prob'ly just admirin' me." Nikoh chuckled to himself, his voice unable to be carried amongst the raucous industrial big cheeses.

Whether this bustle would be a lead or not Nikoh was welcome for the break, like the rest of his bretheren and all at the platform; he'd rather gaze and gawk at something shiny than be met by the reality and tirelessness of his task at hand. A Slig, seemingly private-hire and lacking the badges of the Depot security, bustled past him having appeared to be sent on some errand by his sun hat sporting Vykker superior. He'd never had much of a liking for Vykkers, a head bigger than Glukkons is just asking to get shot, regarldess he pushed his way through the crowd gathering and towards the Vykker, the billowing steam of nearby engines and turbines doing nothing to warm himself against the chills carried on the wind through the open air of the platforms. Nikoh waited.

04-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)

Murmurs had steadily turned into idle chatter again as the crowd on the platform awaited the train's arrival. The glukkons she'd been standing with started up some small talk about some new cosmetic product the Conglomerate had announced recently. This piqued her interest a bit and she joined in with a few accounts of when she had worked within the Conglomerate and how different it was when she was invited to switch to the cartel. Shortly after that conversation began to die down, she noticed a figure approaching her out of her peripherals.

At first, she thought the slig guard assigned to her had finished his rounds and was coming back to report. It was very quickly apparent this wasn't her slig at all. He was a strange looking fellow for a slig. A little too much of his face was exposed for general comfort, being so used to seeing them fully masked at all times. 'Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a slig fully unmasked..' the thought ran through her mind as the slightly taller than average slig approached her; his beady, piercing eyes fully visible through his strange goggles.

She turned to him, giving her full attention albeit confused and on guard. The glukkons for the most part didn't seem to care much and continued their conversation without her, changing the topic to something so far detached from what they were initially talking about Mildred didn't think she'd be able to follow regardless.

"Can I... help you?" She said flatly, looking the slig up and down while adjusting her hat to prevent the wind from knocking it off.

04-17-2016, 11:32 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

The shrill tone of the Vykker shook Nikoh slightly, feeling the unimpressed gaze of the well preened Vykker upon him. He could see the usual stifled disgust on her face as he lifted his goggles to speak to her.

Squinting his tiny eyes he examined her, she seemed to be on more official business than some of the others here, her large sun hat belying the formality of the documents pushed loosely into her satchel. 'nothing screams 'substances' like a Vykker.' Nikoh thought, deciding this could assist his search and responding.

"So a Vykker like you's gotta know what's brought all these hotheads here?" The Vykker scanned under her sun hat, searching the crowd for he security Slig, but to no avail. Butting out his cigarette on the ground, Nikoh awaited a response.

CA:
Nikoh attempts to use his charisma stat in order to get information out of Mildred.

Last edited by JayDee; 04-17-2016 at 12:26 PM..
04-17-2016, 11:42 AM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

CA Result for Nikoh:
8 (stat) + 1 (roll) = 9
Moderate Success

04-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

Mildred was aghast at how disrespectful the slig's general demeanour and manner of speaking, but he must be in a much higher rank than every other slig here to be so confident in approaching his superiors this way. It would explain his bizarre attire, for sure. It took her a minute to adjust to seeing a slig's face before she could make proper eye contact, and she heard mild groans of disgust from the glukkons, who seemed to be slowly moving away from the small scene. 'Goodness, and I thought the slig was being rude.'

"Well..." She placed her two bottom arms on her hips and crossed her upper arms, contemplating whether she should catch him completely up to speed or just give him some vague details and let him piece the rest together himself. "... all I really know is there's some important cargo passing through here soon. I'd love to tell you what's so special about it, but even I don't know. There's quite a few rumours flittering about. I'd ask those military units over there for more information rather than 'A Vykker like me'. I'm sure they know far more than I do." She pointed over to a line of four or so sligs standing close to the edge of the platform.

She heard someone nearby scoff, likely eavesdropping and internally repremanding her for saying anything at all to the strange slig.

"Is there anything else? Or is that all you came over here to harass me about?" She turned up her chin, taking on a bit of a high and mighty pose to try and remind him of her hierarchal superiority without garnering too much more attention from others on the platform.

CA- Mildred uses charisma stat to try and intimidate Nikoh

04-17-2016, 12:26 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

CA Result for Mildred:
5 (stat) + 5 (roll) = 10
Moderate Success

04-17-2016, 12:55 PM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

Nikoh watched the Glukkons as they slowly moved away from the small scene, and hearing a disconcerting cough from another direction. He'd felk like he'd gotten most of what he could from the Vykker, and watched as she offhandedly dismissed him. Though he felt like this Vykker knew more, Nikoh knew better than to pry too close into a Vykker's affairs else he end up with a syringe in his neck. Again.

"I suppose that's all I was wondering same as everyone else." The Vykker's tone had erred him some, still feeling the disgusted gaze of crowd he pulled his goggles back over his eyes and patted down his belt pouches but remembered he'd given his other cigarette to the Scrub in the arrivals lounge.

Those on the platform stirred, the wind was picking up somewhat and the bustling crowd seemed to pulse as those who were too busy to wait left, and those who had their attentions elsewhere joined the fray. Nearby Slig guards seemed agitated, one shifting his rifle in his hands; checking the safety and counting his magazines.

"Say, ya wouldn't happened to have a cig would you?" Nikoh enquired, attempting to keep some semblance of a reason to stay near this bighead until the train arrived.

04-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

Holding in a sigh of relief, she relaxed her stance having successfully gotten the slig to show a tad more respect. He still seemed to have a question though, and you could tell he definitely wanted more information. Thankfully, all he asked for was a cigarette. Yeah. Mildred's got plenty of those she never plans to smoke. She never could get into the sensation and always thought they were a waste of time and money, but not everyone shares that sentiment.

"As a matter of fact, I do. " She said kindly, reaching into her satchel and pulling out a pack of lung busters. Only one had been used since she got the pack, and she'd given that one away to another vykker a while ago while waiting for transportation to a lab. Her arms were shaking very slightly as she opened the pack and held the open end out, motioning for the slig to take one. Whether it was from her age or from the chilly wind blowing in from outside she couldn't tell.

"So, what are you here among the crowd for?"

She shifted her weight more towards one side, trying to make small talk seeing how her glukkon buddy huddle completely abandoned her at this point and there was still no sign of her slig guard returning yet. The train should be here any minute now, the head light getting bigger and brighter with every passing second.

04-20-2016, 07:46 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

Nikoh nodded as he took the cigarette and lit it, curiously only one had been taken but the box certainly didn't seem new. He'd never been a huge fan of Lung Busters, back on the coast he'd smoke an off-brand counterfeit known locally as Alveoli Annihilators: bittersweet memories of his old home causing his facial tentacles to lift as he smiled and lit the cigarette. The Vykker's question only increasing his memories of his old home. Memories of the events that led him here quickly snapped him out of his daze.

"I, uhh..." Nikoh drummed his fingers against one of his ventilators in thought, he hadn't even considered an alibi to his presence here. His inability to answer seemed to raise a questioning glance from the Vykker, as he quickly tried to formulate a lie. "I tells'ya what since you've been so kind..." Nikoh lowered his tone and leaned closer, though the crowd was loud he was wary of who could still be listening. "I'm here on a bit of a private investigation. I heard rumours of some smuggling involving the Mobb and you'd be surprised was gets through the Depot" Nikoh would have laughed at the irony of what he'd just said but was anxious to the response of the Vykker. Though he hadn't necessarily lied as to why he was here, he feared his intentions could be questioned.

"Name's Nikoh, by the way."

CA: Nikoh attempts to use his charisma stat in order to convince Mildred of his alibi.

04-20-2016, 07:57 AM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

CA Result for Nikoh:
8 (stat) + 2 (roll) = 10
Moderate Success

04-21-2016, 05:44 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

At last, the rusted padlock gave way and dropped to the dust. The Mudokon stashed his tools with a self-satisfied grin and put his shoulder to the gate to push it open. However, the hinges were just as rusty as the lock, and a metallic squeal split the night as the gate swung open. The mudokon cringed as several pairs of accusing eyes turned on him. "Oops."

Within the confines of the Depot, a slog snorted and turned its eyeless head towards the source of the strange sound. Upon catching the scent of intruders, it growled, then began to bark thunderously. Soon the cry was taken up by several others until the courtyard rang with their alarm calls.

The small force of rebels sneaked furtively through the shadows, every one of them on high alert. Every bark that sounded just a bit too close for comfort caused them to jump, and all kept a tight grip on their weapons, which ranged from gem-studded crossbows to vicious-looking war spears to big sticks. The band crept up to a clustered behind an outlying building, a large shed used to house trains under repair, where they remained in a nervous huddle.
"Is the coast clear?" asked someone.
"I ain't sticking my head out to check!" came the response, prompting a rangy tomahawker to snort derisively and mutter something under his breath about the qualifications of the "warriors" that had come along on this mission. He shouldered his way to the front of the group, then leaned out to peer into the gloom for signs of danger.

He found himself looking into the red visors of a slig, who was just as surprised to be staring at a war-painted mudokon brandishing a bone club.

There was a moment of stillness, then someone shouted, a gun went off, and the first skirmish of the night began. Drawn by the sudden cacophony, more sligs and slogs descended on the rebels, and alarms began to screech within and without the Depot.

'Intruder Alert! All security personnel report to the courtyard! GET OUT THERE, YA LAZY BASTARDS!'

(This thread is still open to new people joining, but now I'll be moving it along whenever everyone present gets a chance to post.)

---

Gabbi had been in combat before--she didn't carry an axe and bolas as fashion accessories, after all. But something of this scale was new to her. She had only been a youth when Sekto's dam had come down. Thus far, the biggest battles she had experienced were raids on outlaws and settlers who strayed too far into her tribe's territory. For a moment, she felt cold fear down her spine, threatening to paralyze her. What had she gotten herself into? This was insane. There was no way they would be able to fight their way through the entire depot and they were all going to die and--

Suddenly, the snapping maw of a slog filled her vision, and she was yanked away from her spiral of terror and back into the present. Before it could reach her, she threw her bolas at it's stumpy legs, intending to tangle them.

CA: Gabbi uses her Dexerity stat to try and entangle/trip the attacking slog.

04-21-2016, 05:46 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

CA Result for Gabbi:
5 (stat) + 2 (roll) = 7
Moderate Success

04-21-2016, 05:58 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

(Finishing Gabbi's post)

The stone-weighted ropes wrapped themselves around one of the slog's legs just as it prepared to pounce at her, sending it crashing back down to the ground. It snarled viciously and continued to snap at her, but with the weight dragging it's leg, it wasn't nearly as dangerous as before. As it twisted about to try and tear the offending ropes off, Gabbi took the opportunity to bring her tomahawk down on its neck, ending its thrashing with a strangled yelp. Perhaps it was a slightly brutal thing to do to a dumb animal, but Gabbi had already been mauled once, and she had no desire to acquire even more scars.

She then yanked her bolas off of it and looked about. Most of the outside guards had been dispatched, but there were sure to be more inside, along with who knew what else. Well, she mused, if I somehow survive this, I'll at least have one hell of a story to tell back home.

04-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

The slig took a minute to answer, seeming uncertain of how to respond and trying to calculate a response to her. This made her pretty suspicious of him, as if he wasn't already something to be raising an eyebrow at. However, his sudden change in demeanor was pretty charming as he told her about a private investigation and what-not. Despite the lingering skepticism, she shrugged and crossed her arms again. Before she could consider responding the slig gave her his name. Nikoh. 'This slig just gets stranger and stranger with each passing second...' she extended an arm out to shake his hand. It wasn't exactly customary for someone of her stature to shake anyone's hand, assuming they even HAD hands, but she figured she might as well. Not like she was going to interact with anyone in the vicinity again any time soon, much less ever again.

"Mildred." She said her name almost dismissively, since introductions weren't even remotely interesting to her at the moment.

"So, big shot detective over here, do you think this mysterious cargo has anything to do with your investigation?" She smirked slightly. Before she could even receive a response, a very loud, grating alarm started up, followed by several others in the distance. Her expression quickly turned into one of surprise as she jumped, then turned into dread as she looked out in the distance at the train that was moments from arriving. She should have known. Part of her absolutely did but she was so convinced there would be no altercations, that this event would be a quick in-and-out and nothing worth reporting. Whatever the situation was hasn't made it to the platform yet, but Mildred had a sinking feeling it would with uncomfortable haste.

Everyone on the platform started with panicked whispers at first, the sligs-on-duty all seemed to begin taking formation, waiting for a signal to continue with whatever the protocol was. She swallowed dryly, then, without looking at Nikoh, motioned vaguely with her hands. She knew she couldn't leave, she was required to stay. Her eyes darted around the platform looking for her assigned guard for the trip to no avail.

"This... wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that smuggling ordeal you were telling me about... would it?" She asked with a bit of hope that the situation wouldn't turn into something too deadly.

04-27-2016, 04:34 PM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

'Oh no, no, no... Not now' The shrill security alarms rang through the air. Nikoh knew he'd been caught, a depot like this in the middle of a rebellion of course he couldn't just hop off a train, there must've been some trace or footage. 'Why did I stick around?' 'Why didn't I just leave?' 'Did that Vykker send for security without me finding out?' Pangs of frustration throbbed through his skull as he reached to his hip and looked at the Vykker, she seemed terrified desperately scanning her surroundings. Mildred finally spoke, nearly muted by the screech of the alarms, she'd asked the same question he'd asked himself from the moment he heard the alarms. Nikoh flinched at the sound of her voice, drawing his gun from its holster and raising it to the security personnel in formation surrounding the station platform. Every guard had their back to the platform, and himself: They were being protected from something outside the platform. The Vykker couldn't have done this. They weren't here for him.

"I ain't got nothin' to do with this, lady." Nikoh's lax tone belied the slight tremor of his hands and the rush of fear he'd had at the thought of being caught. Nikoh composed himself and set about scanning the platform, huddles of aghast Glukkons rushed to the security doors, barks of command and authority being pushed back by the Sligs assigned to keep whatever was on the platform, on the platform. Squads of chant suppression orbs drifted through the air, their usual gentle thrum and hum being drowned out by the alarm.

"Where's y'guard? You fancying to stay?" Nikoh asked the Vykker, still holding his gun out towards the nearest cluster of guards. He could hear the whirring drone of Slig pants from outside the platform as gunshots echoed throughout the platforms surrounding. After pushing back those trying to leave, large groups of security personnel retreated through the doorways: Only a small contingent remained on the platform. Nearby doorways lowered their security shutters, the heavy clang of steel echoed through the high ceilings of the depot, condemning those left on the platform to their fates.

04-27-2016, 06:33 PM
FennecFyre
Bola Blast

(Gonna go ahead and move the rebels to the docking platform to get some action going since I've got the only native character at the moment)

Compared to the broad walkways utilized by clientele, the Depot's inner corridors were a maze of rusty passageways and leaky pipes. It would be an impossible feat for the natives to navigate if not for the intelligence provided by a turncoat industrial some time ago. As it was, they now knew which employee back entrance had a faulty lock, which corridor would lead them to the nearest lift, and which paths saw the least slig traffic, and therefore had the least chance of a skirmish. They couldn't waste time with needless fights when the train had nearly arrived.

The interior corridors weren't a guarantee of safe passage by any means, though--the Depot was seething like a kicked ant's nest, and they were bound to encounter some guards as they rushed to the courtyard, searching for an enemy that had already slipped into their fortress. By the time the band reached a lift, several had sustained injuries ranging from mere bruises to hastily-bandaged bullet wounds.

They crowded into the lift, a few casting doubtful looks at the aged machinery. As the elevator creaked it's way upwards through the shaft, the rebels took the slightly awkward moment of peace to check their weapons and catch their breathing, steeling themselves for the final push. Most of the Depot's security was now scattered around the building, but there were sure to be guards left on the platform, considering what was coming their way.

The elevator doors slid open, revealing a short passageway and a firmly-lowered security shutter in their way. “Everyone step back!” cautioned a grubb with mottled charcoal markings, a fellow Gabbi didn’t recognize from her own tribe. He approached the blast doors, rifling in a large satchel for something, then withdrew a mass of brown fur with stubby, leathery wings tucked against its sides. Everyone else skittered backwards, immediately recognizing the boombat for what it was. The grubb, either brave or suicidal, gave the boombat a good poke to get it mad enough to blow, then quickly transferred it to a sling and whirled it about it his head, taking aim and letting go in the few seconds he had before it went off. The volatile creature collided with the shutter’s hinges and exploded, blasting the metal to bits. A second bat finished off the other side, and with a thunderous squeal, the door collapsed inward, revealing the docking platform.

With a cry, the natives swarmed through the now-open doorway and launched themselves at the assembled sligs, intending to secure the platform before the train arrived.

---

There was no time to be scared anymore. She could only focus on the now, on the enemy in front of her and the prize slowly drawing nearer. Gabbi whooped and yelled along with her companions, finding herself in the middle of the fray. Adrenaline kept common sense and terror at bay, for the moment, and she swung about with her axe, aiming for the knee-joints of the sligs’ mechanical legs to cripple them. One tentacle face blended into another, and the firing of guns became a staccato rhythm in her ears. The green-skinned creatures were virtually impossible to tell apart (at least to her eyes), although she spied one with an odd-looking mask, and she knew the glukkons cowering away from the skirmish hardly posed a threat on their own. She caught of a glimpse of a wrinkled, three-legged form as well—what was a Vykker doing here? She didn’t have much time to ponder these anomalous beings, however. A rumble had begun to build up around the station, heralding the arrival of the train. Would they stopped as planned, she wondered? Or would they somehow see the trouble brewing before it was too late?

Another explosion, following by yet another chorus of shrieking metal, answered that question for her. The blast-happy grubb from before had sent a volley up to the ceiling, breaking the track. The train wasn’t going anywhere now.

Last edited by FennecFyre; 04-27-2016 at 06:42 PM..