11-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)
Mad Biggest message board pet peeves.

This is a thread where people can gripe about board-related things.
My biggest message board pet peeve ever: Anal little pricks who feel it is their duty to correct every typo and castigate people over every missed letter, added letter, improperly used semicolon, etc. It's enough to make me want to barf. Guess what this isn't a term paper, this isn't a finals report, it's a CASUAL BOARD. So stop being so anal about spelling, grammar and punctuation and have fun. Or else burn in hell.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

11-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Addicted
Zappfly

: Oct 2003
: England, wearing my bowler hat and sipping a cup of tea
: 19
Addicted  (10)

Mine is Chatspeak and spam on message boards. Grr.. it really pisses me off to see something like 'HI!!!!1111!!! lol, im [insert stupid name here]' Followed by a large amount of uncomprehensible words and numbers. Christ, it's like trying to read freakin' hieroglyphics. Save your stinkin', stupid abbreveations for MSN and AIM (Sorry, I'm angry today.)

11-10-2003, 08:31 PM
lindsey
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2002
: wisconsin
: 469
lindsey  (8)

Mine would be the idiots that don't know what the forms are about and go there just to be dum. Also the ones that just post to say bad things about the one who made the topic.

11-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Stuck ups. What you care about doesn't freaking matter. Its a message board, there isn't any plausible way to have a more important opinion, because online everyone is just a person behind a computer.

I also hate flat out jerks, perfectionists, chatspeakers, TRUE spammers, etc...

It's quite funny, actually. We just did a unit on Netiquette yesterday in this computer class I'm taking. Some of the most emphasized rules are remember that there are people on the other end, give a good impression of yourself, and try to keep down flaming. I hate people with a blatant disregard for those points.
11-10-2003, 10:18 PM
nads
Grubb Fisherman

: Mar 2002
: Essex, MA
: 946
nads  (10)

Kids like BOB (find him in members, I dare you)

He was my friend max. I hate that kid.

4 cold years...

11-10-2003, 11:17 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

All your points were very good.....I feel exactly the same way. I also don't like it when people are just looking for a place to start trouble. Arrrg!

-oddguy

11-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

I hate it how we have so many members go into Oddchat and create internet relationships with each other. Is there a lower use of chatrooms?
It also annoys the hell out of me when people say a joke and put 'lol' on the end. It's just like people who laugh at their own jokes when no one else is.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

11-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

:
Originally posted by Facsimile
It also annoys the hell out of me when people say a joke and put 'lol' on the end. It's just like people who laugh at their own jokes when no one else is.
I concur. It's almost more annoying than when people do it in real life.

I also hate members who bring back really old topics for no reason...and their posts are nothing but spam...every last one of 'em...and their member names are named after body parts...and they have Halo avatars...

Hint hint, nudge nudge, know what I mean, wink wink...

11-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

Haha.

When I first saw lindsey had that avatar she has now I thought it was me, even though I haven't had that one for a long time.

11-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Ditto. I still see Lindsey's avatar and go "Whoa, thats like Fax".

Luckily though, it seems that the whole internet datin gthing has died down. w00t.
11-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

Dont like people who thinks they can get anything....

eg: Reese Charles, Death, 4ourth concept
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

11-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Most annoying to me are spam and pointless posts. Especially by newbies who have never used the internet before ... and post a bunch of pointless letters and excessive use of exlamation marks.

I also don't like those people who seem to love bringing up old topics ... I don't know why someone looks back 1 year at posts anyways. vB should have a feature which automatically locks posts that are older than a certain date.

And people who think they are better than anyone else ... like they go on about how good they are, and try and tell you how to run the forums (not in a suggestion manner, but more like saying how they would do it and make out that their way is better).

:
Originally posted by Facsimile
I do that sometimes ... or put 'haha'. But I only do it because on the internet people sometimes do not realize that something is meant to be a joke ... so I've had many things taken the wrong way because of it. That's why I do it. And it's become a bit of a habit. I must annoy a few people.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

11-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

People who say lol at things that arn't intended to be funny and are not so in any remote way. And Every little part of chatspeak other than brb.
11-11-2003, 10:37 AM
nads
Grubb Fisherman

nads  (10)

:
Originally posted by Mac the Janitor
I also hate members who bring back really old topics for no reason...and their posts are nothing but spam...every last one of 'em...and their member names are named after body parts...and they have Halo avatars...

Hint hint, nudge nudge, know what I mean, wink wink...
Shut up. That topic wasn't old, this isn't spam, and I'll change my Avatar and sig. Jeez...talk about PMS.

4 cold years...

Last edited by nads; 11-11-2003 at 02:39 PM..
11-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I hate it when people create topics to ask questions that have already been answered. I know they're often by newbies and hence can be forgiven to a certain degree, but the whole idea of the Q&A topic and FAQs is so that General Discussion can remain free of trivial topics. A recent example would be Sean creating a topic in FS&H about rankings, which appeared just two or three topics below Abe Babe's explanatory post. I know it's not entirely right to mention it in the rules, but can't we include something in the introductory emails to new members to advice them to look at the FAQs and other important threads?

11-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Also, lets give it up for trolls and people who make insultingly-named accounts for no good reason. Oddworldsuckscock anyone?

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

11-11-2003, 06:43 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

I have four main peeves... all of them, interestingly enough, are kinds of forum members.

1. "Intellectual" people who think they know everything about everything, including how the forums should be run. They show up, spout out garbage about how much they hate the forum, and then denounce people who point out how stupid they are as "immature." We've had at least three of these in the past few months... not mentioning any names (they've already been mentioned by another member, anyway).

2. Zealots and fan-boys. People who refuse to even tolerate someone with opposing views. You don't have to agree with everything people, but at least take the other person into consideration. They could be right, you know.

3. People who overuse the word "gay."

4. Flat-out jerks. Now, I've been mean to other members before, but some people just take it to far. A good rabble is fine... patronizing is even alright in context of an argument... but completely ignoring the topic and flaming a member is uncalled for. If you have to slander another member to get your jollies, it just shows how pathetically bored you are.
11-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

I hate when people spam and post excessive garbage all to just raise their post counts. Sorry to tell you kids you dont become anymore powerful when you have a jumbo post count. Xav may have the highest post count here, but thats because he actually posts meaningful stuff and not utter garbage. Simple enough, he earned it.

Thankfully that problem is very small now, but it was bad for quite a long time before.

Thats my only real gripe.
11-11-2003, 10:38 PM
nads
Grubb Fisherman

nads  (10)

:
Originally posted by Al the Vykker
I hate when people spam and post excessive garbage all to just raise their post counts. Sorry to tell you kids you dont become anymore powerful when you have a jumbo post count. Xav may have the highest post count here, but thats because he actually posts meaningful stuff and not utter garbage. Simple enough, he earned it.
Yeah, lindsey and Abe16 had/have 3 stars each and have been here for three months.

It's because they reply to EVERYTHING, even the things they don't have a flying f*** about.

4 cold years...

11-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

lindsey's been here a longer than me I think. But nevertheless I see what you mean.