Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

06-23-2002, 05:07 AM
Dequibenzo
Sniper Wasp

: Feb 2002
: Colorado
: 283
Dequibenzo  (10)
"Rennaisance or modern surrealism" (or "Creamy or Chunky, which u like more?")

I've been noticing that surrealism has become somewhat of a new underground trend for films, etc, comic books especially, what with a lot more dark and brooding heroes and such. I mean, just go watch something like "Dark City" or anything of Terry Gilliam's. They're very popular amongst the counterculture, and spawn a lot of similar works. But which kind of surrealism do you think modern artists are trying to emulate? Is it the early, post rennaisance kind heralded by Heronimous Bosch, or the early twentieth century incarnation entailed by cubism and the works of Salvidor Dali? Or, maybe it's an entirely new kind, I a sort of "surrealist-realist" mix, I guess begun by H.R. Geiger and mainstreamed by directors like Tim Burton? Whichever way it is, do you think it's becoming popular because this generation genuinely appreciates the ideas presented in it, or simply because surrealism is often associated with dark and depressing things, and that's always a good way to get teen audiences? I'd like some opinions on it.

And, for those of you who have neither the time or the patience to deal with that question, here's the second option- which do you prefer, creamy or crunchy peanut butter? Do you like one more than the other on certain things, like toast, but not on others, like sandwiches? I like crunchy on most everything, except on celery- then I like creamy.
06-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

I'll give this a shot.
Now I don't know why teens are going more for surrealism, but I think the reason you see it more is because those that supply it notice that the teen population is buying more of it so they make more.
Like the issue with sex in the media...at first it was hardly seen if at all (it was taboo) here in the states. But then the younger generations started a trend (back in the 60's I believe) and now you see such things almost everywhere. But somethings they take too far...like recently...a clothing company started making thong underware for girls ages 10 - 18 (if I remember the age range right). Exscue me....10? 15 yes...13 - 14 is pushing it...but 10!? That is way too young for that type of clothing!
Thing is kids want it...so they make it for them. Kid's these days are trying to grow up too fast...and current role models like Britney are not helping any. (May like some of her music but that doesn't mean I like the image she protrays...)
Thing is...I haven't a clue as to stop this current 'sex trend'.
Oops....what started out as an example turned into a rant....sorry....

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

06-24-2002, 09:22 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Well, I don't know about brooding comic books from the new school(well, I have a weakness for anything Spawn/Spawn spinoffs) but isn't there a comic book code? Does that ever get enforced? I mean, look at all the killing and the blood and the cursing and the oyflaybin that goes on in your average rag. It truly is shocking!

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

06-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I'd say early 20th century surrealism is what's influencing film, but I don't think surrealist films, comics, etc are really all that popular at the moment.

I think it would be interesting to see something like Heironymous Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights turned into a film. Of course, it would have to be severely distorted to make it coherent, but imagine the fun you coud have directing something like that!