03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

: Aug 2004
: North Carolina
: 36
LawnChairFire  (10)
New Oddworld game published by Majesco!

Well folks, I recently got my hands on my two-week advanced(I make it sound haughtier than it is) copy of GameInformer...
And to my surprise, it turns out Maj is publishing the next Oddworld game, simply called "Fangus."
To quote:
"The game takes place in the forested hills of a land known as Fangustan. Our new hero is Fangus, a shepherd that dutifull fends off predators and leads the beasts under his charge to popberry fields - until one day when Invaders arrive and thrust Fangus into the role of savior for all the nations of Oddworld. Fangus has his own personal race against time; he must thwart the Invaders' plans before the madness of rabies engulfs him."
It also says in the article that Maj is predicting the game will get an M rating due to its extremely dark content. Gamespeak returns along with 1st/3rd person action.
It's slated for release on Xbox next year; the cover of the article has a very nasty looking hulk of a beast, wielding smoking guns with an army of demonic sheep around the perimeter, as well as what appear to be Glukkon/Sekto zeppelins in the background.
And though Stranger was a bit of a bust for me, who has been playing Oddworld games for seven years, I hope this one will take the game back to its darker and more serious roots...
"Now, it is time for you to sleep. It is true.... The joy of death and destruction is still with me. But people have the ability to choose. And my hands, blood-stained as they may be, are needed somewhere. The joy of knowing that is far more important to me." -Faust

03-16-2005, 07:02 PM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

: Jan 2005
: Orlando, Fl.
: 124
ConkerTribe  (10)

Woah, they got rid of Stranger in favor of this "Fangus" character? Why make such a similar game to Stranger yet completely deny Stranger of the spotlight? That seems kinda lame to me, but I'm all for more lovable Oddworld characters

Also, the old Oddworld games were never M rated, so I don't think that this is the kind of "dark roots" that was seen back then. I'll no doubt buy it, when it comes out, as I loved Stranger's hybrid of 3rd and 1st person action.

Could you possibly post anymore or specific info on the article? It would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! (I'm so excited it's going to be on Xbox!)

EDIT: Also, I thought EA and OWI were in agreements for publishing rights for Oddworld games now and into the future? Did they mention if that went sour or not? Well, at least we don't have to support EA now

On a seperate note, I think it's Majesco that is publishing Psychonauts, a very innovative and imaginative platformer being released this spring. I think I'm liking Majesco a lot more these days...

Last edited by ConkerTribe; 03-16-2005 at 07:08 PM..
03-16-2005, 07:13 PM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

LawnChairFire  (10)

I know they've never been M, but the dark elements have always been there in the shadows and spotlight, but have faded in the last two games...I suppose what I'm really hoping for is a game as good as Exoddus...if that's even possible...
As for EA, they dropped this when OI said likely M rating, as EA doesn't want to risk that kind of engagement...
As for the article, since you asked, I will attempt to transcribe it tomorrow...
But hey, if Fangus is truly battling for "all the nations of Oddworld," perhaps this will be the thread bonding the last four together...
"Now, it is time for you to sleep. It is true.... The joy of death and destruction is still with me. But people have the ability to choose. And my hands, blood-stained as they may be, are needed somewhere. The joy of knowing that is far more important to me." -Faust

03-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Angalok
Stingbee

: Feb 2005
: Virginia, U.S.A.
: 99
Angalok  (10)

I'm a bit skeptical on this one, but you never know. How in the world will Oddworld have a new game ready for next year? The only one that was ever finished on such short notice was Exoddus, because it used Oddysee's engine. I would guess this Fangus game uses the Stranger engine based on the timeline.

When you say demonic sheep, do you mean sheep the Earth animal, the Meeps from Munch's Oddysee, or some new creature that vaguely resembles a sheep? Also, could you describe this Fangus guy in more detail (big teeth? how many legs? furry or scaly?). If you have a scanner and could post the image in question in this thread, I think everyone would appreciate it.

I quite like the idea of "racing against time before the madness of rabies engulfs him..." That's an extremely brutal plot device, and reminds me of the steroid-tested Munch that never was (see the art book).

Personally, I was worried by Stranger's thematic departure at first, and it turned out to be utterly wonderful by my standards (and I myself loved the PS1 games' and the Munch original story's darker content as opposed to the Microsoft-induced edited Munch story). If this Fangus game turns out to be real, I have boundless faith in the Inhabitants to make it fantastic.
03-16-2005, 07:40 PM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

: Orlando, Fl.
: 124
ConkerTribe  (10)

I would have no problem with a darker Stranger look-alike. I'm a big fan of anything similar to one really great thing, even if it's almost exactly the same. I guess I'm shallow like that, but then again, liking the same kind of gameplay isn't exactly shallow.

Do you think it will be dark in the literal sense as well? Take Darkwatch, made by Sammy Studios. That game is a rather "dark-looking" western FPS game. Does his pic resemble that at alll?

Thanks for all the info!

03-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

Huzzah! Finally some information of a new OWI title has come our way. Rejoice! *Jiggles*. Rabies..? Cool. Mabye he has rabies, and he must cure it before the 'madness' engulf him. (Well duh...)

I am extremely pleased that Oddworld is returning to darkness over humor.

Also, could you scan the image of Fangus..? Otherwise, does he seem western styled ala Stranger,. or different..?

03-16-2005, 09:08 PM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

: Sydney
: 1,631
mudling  (123)mudling  (123)

well, i ever expected this to happen. i live in australia so all the past oddworld games were rated M. i do not like vilonce that much but i still like dark games like abes oddesy. also my parents will not let me get the gam eif it is too vilonet. this character seems more industrail but you never know, oddworld can always change their mind. anyway, aren't they have a well deserved holiday?

03-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Chyros
Chippunk

: Mar 2005
: Netherlands
: 34
Chyros  (10)

Wow. Not even here (Holland) they rated it mature, and here they need you to be 16 to watch Mr. Bean!

Anyways, new games are always good news!
03-17-2005, 12:49 AM
AWWW
Stingbee

: Sydney,Australia
: 82
AWWW  (10)
Happy I like Good News

:
...Maj is publishing the next Oddworld game...It's slated for release on Xbox next year
That is very sweet news.New Oddworld game and its coming out next year, this made my day.
I don't really mind about what the next Oddworld game, as long as they keep coming.
So its called "Fangus" , can't wait to hear more about it.

Lets get one thing cleared up about the ratings okay?
Over here in Australia the first 3 Oddworld game recieved a "M" rating (reconmmended for 15 and over), but over in the US its got a "T"(teen right??) and "Fangus" may get a M(mature right, must be over 15??), which means over in Australia the highest game rating "MA" (same as the US "M" rating right??).
03-17-2005, 03:03 AM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

LawnChairFire  (10)

Alas, I have no scanner, so I'll do my damnedest to describe the image/artwork, as well as try to bum the use of a scanner off of anyone I know...
The background is gray, smoke is rising from cities that could be either wooden tribal villages or angular industrial complexes(like RuptureFarms), a zeppelin hovers in the back ground, and next to it a hot air balloon carrying what seems to be a muscular creature...
The forefront image is that of a large, pale, bipedal creature, with arms and legs as thick as tree trunks and covered in scars and bullet holes, belt buckles are tightened around each limb, 4 on each arm(five fingers), two on each leg(four toes), it wears boots that its Hyde-esque toes have long burst from, around its waist are numerous stone tablets, with tally marks on each, the gun in his left hand is pistol-like, with one barrel on top of the other, the other gun is more of a one-handed cannon, on its back is slung an ammo belt and a larger rifle with some kind of horn(be it musical or animal in nature I cannot say), its face is shadowed by a thin, "Man-With-No-Name"-esque hat, though the face shadowed beneath looks lion-like with a short mane of hair coing down to the shoulders...
It stands squatting slightly on ground covered in craggy rocks, with an army going into the distance of sheep-like creatures who have narrow faces, sharp, twisted teeth, ears pointing straight out the sides of their head, white fur littered with bullet holes, all are screaming or glaring and have pointed horns that are bent back slightly...
I know this description doesn't help much, but it's all I can do at the moment...

03-17-2005, 04:52 AM
Fuzzles!
Howler Punk

: Mar 2004
: Canada
: 329
Fuzzles!  (10)

Thanks for that info! I also wonder how they can put a game out so quickly....unless as with Oddysee it's playing off of Stranger's game engine somehow (which it might seeing as you said the article said 1st and 3rd person).

I also find it weird that they are going ahead with a game that we havent' even heard of before, that there's been no speculation around. I mean with all of the games that they will 'eventually' be making (back in the quintology). And I really wanted to see Hand of Odd. I'm going to be an old lady by the time they finish making Oddworld games

VaniLLaKiLLah rocks! She made my sig!

03-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a scan of the article. Don't take it personally, but I'm used to so many people saying stuff and then it doesn't come through... it happens all the time on my other site with people saying they have this that, whatever and no proof to show of it. Kind of like that guy on here who said there was a Stranger demo in a PS2 magazine and then Alf came along and clarified that it wasn't so.

Although this sounds very intriguing, the fact it's a two week advance copy of the magazine is what gets me. I was about to contact my friend in the US and ask her to scan me the article as she subscribes to Game Informer, but then I noticed the two week advance thing and was like "egh, I can't ask her".

It does sound cool, but it seems very strange that they'd dump EA after only one game. Although it would be good to see the more darker side of Oddworld return.

Sorry to sound like the skeptic here, it's just as I said, I've seen too much of this stuff.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

03-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Angalok
Stingbee

Angalok  (10)

Thanks for the detailed pic description, Lawn Chair. This Fangus guy sounds like the Stranger, one of the Outlaws, and Arnold Schwarzenegger had a love child. I have to declare I'm both astounded and confused by this. If this really is the next game, I like the sound of it. I agree with the others, though, that it seems weird for Oddworld to have jumped EA's ship already. Then again, with the overwhelming critical acclaim of Stranger's Wrath, perhaps they can have any publisher they like. Anyway, not much to do but wait for further developments...
03-17-2005, 05:15 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I'm realy doubtfull about this... I didn't expect this at all...
like Abe Babe said can wwe have some scans please?

03-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Angalok
Stingbee

Angalok  (10)

He doesn't have a scanner is the problem. Could you perhaps visit your public library and get it scanned there? Or maybe one of those Internet cafe's.
03-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Intriguing, especially the name of the place it's set in.

Fangustan sounds very much like 'Afganistan'...

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

I think I'd be glad if this were true, Stranger's Wrath works perfectly stand alone - it doesn't need a sequel.
But previous news citing talks of Stranger sequels and suchlike make me warily skeptical.

Oh and not publishing with EA seems a little out of place.
Aren't Majesco the Blood Rayne/Psychonauts guys?

Last edited by Esus; 03-17-2005 at 07:22 AM..
03-17-2005, 07:34 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

: Poland
: 224
_GrubHunter_  (10)

Oh My God!!!! This is VERY VERY good news! I'm waiting for more info

03-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

the more I think of it... the more I hope this story is true...
but I believe nothing until official confirmation

03-17-2005, 09:37 AM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. That sounds really cool.
But when are they going to do a sequel for Munch?
Ooh, me like dark Oddworld games..
The mystique and darkness of abe's oddysee was very attracting.
Pictures, scans, please!
03-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

I think it was Raymond Swanland that said darker things were coming, maybe he was allready working a bit on this project.

Wow some dark Oddworld would be amazing, I hope this thing isn't fake

03-17-2005, 09:46 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

:
Wow some dark Oddworld would be amazing, I hope this thing isn't fake
Me too. I'm waiting for some scans

03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

Whoa!!! Holy crap, this is exciting.

Fangus eh? A new publisher? Well if that is ture, and then mabey no more black and white books, and oddworld or EA are dissing who? It dose sound a bit like oddworld.

But we will need proof, mabey an OWI might pop-up to inform us it's true or not.

Still interesting.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

03-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

I'll try to get my hand on an issue as soon as possible

EDIT: what is the number of the issue?

Last edited by Xavier; 03-17-2005 at 10:27 AM..
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

LawnChairFire, how in the world did you get yourself a copy of a magazine 2 weeks before publication? Most magazines have no chance in hell of going to print that early. In fact, most of the articles aren't even finished. Is GameInformer the exception?

03-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

I doubt this a lot. The new publisher part even more then the new game part. Has everyone forgotten EA bought up half of OWI? You realy think they would allow them to just go to a new publisher after they invested millions into the company?

Furthermore I don't believe these public game magazine's anyway. Mostly this stuff comes from rumors and stuff like that and finaly makes its way into an artical becouse the magazine doesn't have some real quality content so they just fill the rest up with unreal crap. So even if he does give us a scan Im not believing this story for a second untill we hear 'something' about it from either Alf or Oddworld.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnChairFire
Stunk

LawnChairFire  (10)

Woah woah, slow down, I'm not even able to answer until now, and to be honest I probably wouldn't believe me either, though I imagine that will only serve to condemn me further I'm going to say it anyways...
First off, the issue is 144, April 2005, the article is page 24 that also has a "data file" sidebar on the left that talks about Midway, EA, Warhammer and a Texas Hold 'Em game.
Also, as I said, the two-week advance was made out to be haughtier than it was, though honestly I always get my GIs two weeks before newsstands.
The full title of the article is:
The Brutal Ballad of Fangus
Sub-heading: New Oddworld already in works
Unfortunately, I have little more proof I can give you at this point without a scanner, I'm going to make some more phone calls to people I know.
If any of you have friends or actually get GI yourselves, check around and see if anyone has gotten the issue with the new James Bond game on the cover "From Russia With Love"
I'll be back in a bit with a transcript of the whole article.

03-17-2005, 11:47 AM
_GrubHunter_
Boombat

_GrubHunter_  (10)

Ok, i trust you

03-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)

I can't help but be sceptical. Of course I don't want to be doubtful as so many were fo Stranger's Wrath (see my sig link), but I was really hoping for a Stranger sequel. Oh well, I trust OI to do what's right.

03-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

a transcript would be awesome indeed!!! can't wait to get my hands on it.
Even if I still wait for official confirmation